Morning links: Baldwin makes his move

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 5, 2011 at 6:43 am with 31 Comments »
October 5, 2011 7:05 am
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin (15) against the San Francisco 49ers in an NFL football game in San Francisco, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin, the focus of my story today, was deemed too small and too slow, and did not get selected in this year’s draft.

But Seattle’s personnel department liked the 5-10, 189-pound receiver out of Stanford and brought him in as an undrafted rookie free agent.

And so far the move has paid off. And after four games, Baldwin has a hard-earned title: Seattle’s leading receiver. Baldwin’s 12 receptions for 194 yards and a touchdown put him at the top of the list, even ahead of 41-million-dollar man Sidney Rice.

More impressive, half of Baldwin’s 12 receptions have gone for first downs. Those six receptions for first downs have taken place on the all-important third down, with Baldwin tied for ninth in the league in those situations.

“Obviously, it means a lot,” Baldwin said about the passes thrown to him on third down. “I don’t know the statistics, but that’s the first time I’ve heard that. That’s good to hear. It’s nice to be targeted on third down, and that’s my job – get the first downs when we need them.”

As always, Rod Mar of Seahawks.com has some good shots from last week’s game.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com gives us a best-of list at the quarter pole of the season.

More Farnsworth: A preview of the New York Giants.

Jim Moore of ESPN 710 Seattle takes back everything bad he said about quarterback Tarvaris Jackson after his performance against Atlanta last week.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle breaks down Atlanta running back Michael Turner’s touchdown run.

More Huard: He breaks down Marshawn Lynch’s 11-yard run.

Dave Wyman of ESPN 710 Seattle compares the four quarterbacks in the NFC West. An interesting breakdown considering San Francisco’s Alex Smith is playing the best out of the four right now.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks can use their success against the Giants over the years (or lack of) as a barometer of how they are playing at the moment.

Greg Gabriel of the National Football Post gives Doug Baldwin and James Carpenter good marks for their effort against Atlanta.

Charlie Casserly of CBS Sports believes it might be best for linebacker Aaron Curry to move on.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports, and a regular contributor for KJR-AM, breaks down his Seahawks play of the day, Sidney Rice’s 52-yard touchdown.

Morning links
  1. Bobby Engram part 2

2. baldbandit says:

I’m loving Baldwin. For years everybody has talked about the need for a true number 1 receiver who can stretch the field. Obviously that’s very important, but that guy wont’ be as big of a threat if you don’t have an Engram/Stokley type possession receiver who is automatic on 3rd down.

Love guys like this. And the best part is that he wasn’t / isn’t the typical preseason hero that so many of the late-round or undrafted players can be. He’s legit.

On a side note, is Golden Tate even on this team anymore…? Total flop.

4. Can’t believe he hung onto the ball on that helmet-to-helmet hit. He’s a tough guy – and great hands. Super addition to the team.

5. Audible says:

There’s a big difference between top-end speed and acceleration. Baldwin may not be “fast” but I think he’s easily the quickest receiver on the team.

6. Good point.

7. Boy, I’m watching Cam Newton on NFL Network and can’t help thinking that this is like when Dan Marino came into the league. Can’t believe so many people thought he’d be a bust. Warren Moon was sooooo right. Oh, to have a QB like that in Seahawks uniform.

8. Yeah, Tate wasn’t worth a second-rounder, but he gives them good depth. Baldwin just happens to be better.

9. Even before the draft, Tate looked more like a running back than a WR in how he moved.

10. I think doug baldwin is what we all hoped Houshmandzadeh would be, except without hyping himself up.

I couldnt think of another young WR I’d rather see in our corps. Rice can take the deep ball, Williams can get an occasional deep ball but seems more accomodated at the 10-15 yard completion and a few YAC, and baldwin just eats the middle of the field, has pretty sure hands, and takes (or at least took) nasty hits and not only holds onto the pass, but gets up and asks for more. He’s quickly becoming my favorite player.

11. oh, and baldwin and luck already have a rapport… something to think about.

12. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Maybe we can trade Tate and Curry as part of a package to move up for Luck/Barkley.

13. SeahawkFan12 says:

I can hardly believe I’m agreeing with AICB, but…I agree ACIB.

I’m even in favor of giving a few draft picks away in the package because I believe Luck is THAT special (normally I think the Mike Ditka approach of mortgaging the draft for one player is stupid).

14. SeahawkFan12 says:

I meant ACIB, not AICB. My apologies, ACIB.

15. SandpointHawk says:

I see you folks are crawling on the Tater wagon…. Welcome aboard…

16. that would really depend on who had the first 2 picks. If CAR or STL ended up with it, I’d say it could be likely since they just drafted faces of their franchise. I don’t see San Fran getting it or trading for us to get Luck, if they did. Although they drafted Ponder, I believe Minnesota would still go after Luck. Indy also could, especially since they’re not gonna have to pay him real 1st overall money (due to the salary cap), and manning’s salary.

i think the real hangup is going to be Miam or JAX

That’s funny. Generally these type of outlandish trade scenarios don’t reviel themselves until after the SR Bowl, at the earliest.

18. Would you trade all of our draft choices in 2012 and our #1 in 2013 to move up for luck? What is the most you’d be willing to give up? Look at what Atlanta traded for Julio Jones…seems like it would cost us at least that much if we draft outside the top ten.

19. Also, I wonder if the rookie cap will affect draft value chart…seems like the top picks are more desirable now.

No. Luck is money, but there are other quality QBs in this draft and several hole yet to fill on this team. If he’s there whenever Seattle drafts, I will be giddy. But if he is not, so-be-it.

Audible – That draft chart was nearly obsolete prior to the new CBA so I suspect you’re right. It will need serious adjusting to have any true relevance, moving forward.

22. SeahawkFan12 says:

For the record, I would NOT trade away an entire draft to grab one player (thus my Ditka reference). I do think that Luck is worth trading up to grab, even though there are other needs on this team. We will likely not see a QB class like this for a while, so I’m happy to get one of the top 3 QBs this year (Luck, Barkley, Jones). And ironically, we are nowhere near as in bad shape as Indy. That team needs a lot of help, and would benefit from trading away the #1 spot for more picks.

23. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“Luck is money, but there are other quality QBs in this draft”

Gotta disagree here Dukeshire. I think Luck and Barkley are the only 2 QBs in this draft who will become good pros. And they will almost certainly be drafted 1 and 2 respectively. Hell, Barkley might even stay in school and then it becomes Luck or bust.

Well I guess we’ll know for sure in 3 seasons or so from now. But guys like Nick Foles, Robert Griffen and Laundry Jones are also players we could very easily see playing on Sundays. From where I sit, this is one of the richer QB classes in many years. Of course Luck is the crown jewel, but to say it’s Luck or bust is to me, hyperbole. But again, we won’t know for sure for a couple years.

25. Audible says:

Look at Newton…we may know what we have next year.

26. piperfeltcher says:

I think Barkley goes 1 and Luck 2. I just see Barkley improving every week and I think with his athleticism he will dominate the combine.

27. wabubba67 says:

Luck goes first, then Jones….no doubt.

28. I think it goes Luck – Barkley – Jones Who knows after that (this based on what common perception is now)

Still wondering why Foles is not considered (currently) a top QB – I remember at the start of last year he was mentioned with Jones and/or Barkley.

You can count me as one of the ones who did not think Newton would be as good as he is right away. There were too many guys who came in and were great then not then good then not – he has looked solid each game so far. V. Young and M. Vick both had great games and AWFUL ones as rookies.

Hopefully it all works out and we get players that will help the team.

29. natedog says:

ACIB, a completely DELUSIONAL scenario. Why would anyone TRADE for AC after the season. He is owed a TON of money next year and Seattle will have to release him. They can’t pay him what’s he’s owed next year for his production. Why would someone trade down out of the 1st pick for AC and Tate????? Hey, would you like to give me your most valuable possession for 2 pieces of GARBAGE???????? Dream on buddy

30. natedog says:

With regard to the top three QB’s, we need to hold on with all the proclamations. All three, Luck, Barkley, and Jones, could return to school if they want. Besides that, way too early to say which will be drafted where. Luck is as close to a lock at the #1 pick as you can get but, things can change dramatically between now and the draft. They do EVERY year. Remember when Bowers was going #1 last year????

31. Palerydr says:

Excellent points Natedog I was thinking exactly the same thing. NO ONE is a garuanteed pro football player coming into the NFL. just to emphasize the point all 3 can go back to school.