Carroll says Sidney Rice will play, calls report about rift with GM Schneider “extraordinarily irresponsible”

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm with 29 Comments »
September 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll didn’t mince words when asked to respond about a potential rift between himself and general manager John Schneider, according to a report by Eric Edholm from Pro Football Weekly.

“I think that’s extraordinarily irresponsible,” Carroll said. “It’s inaccurate. It’s lazy, and I wouldn’t believe a word they said.

“That’s so far from the truth. John and I are as close as you can get. I’ve never been any closer to anyone I’ve ever worked with. And every decision we make, we make together.

So they don’t even understand. So whatever that was – and I don’t know who those guys were or where they came from – but they were just dead wrong.”

Wait, there’s more.

“It’s just weak that someone would say something like that,” Carroll said. “They know nothing. They never talked to us. They never seen us, and they know nothing about what we’re all about.”

Edholm appeared on Brock Huard and Mike Salk of ESPN 710 Seattle’s radio show this morning to defend his report, which you can listen to here.

Back to the field, Carroll said receiver Sidney Rice made it through the week okay and is set to start on Sunday.

“He’s going to play,” Carroll said. “He’s still probable. We’ve got to make sure he wakes up right and all that. But he had a great week, and we’re excited to have him back.”

Rice said he felt good enough to play last week at Pittsburgh, but team trainers and coaching staff felt an extra week of preparation would be best.

“I tried to get out there and sneak a few reps, but they kept pulling me out of there last week,” Rice said. “This week I was able to get out there starting Wednesday full-go, didn’t get pulled out of any drills or anything like that. And I also had no problems with my shoulder.”

Rice said there’s no uncertainty regarding his shoulder heading into Sunday.

“I’m fine,” he said. “If there were any questions, I’m sure Coach (Carroll) and those guys wouldn’t even have me out there. But I feel comfortable and ready to go. And we’ll see how it goes on Sunday.”

On the linebacker Aaron Curry’s situation, all Carroll would say is rookie K.J. Wright will play some on Sunday, but he would not say who will start between the two at outside linebacker.

“He had a good week,” Carroll said. “He did just fine, and he’s going to play.”

Asked where does Curry stand now that Wright appears to be the starter, Carroll had this to say: “We’re just waiting. This is just this week, and we’ll see where we go. It’s competition. And a guy (Wright) gets a chance to do something. And we’ll see what he does when he gets his opportunities and all of that. I can’t predict that. But buy his play early, and by his ability to pick things up, he’s really shown that he needs to get on the field. So when Hawthorne came back, it’s shifted things around a little bit. So we’ll see how it works out.”

For Seattle, OL Robert Gallery (groin), OT Jarriel King (ankle), FB Michael Robinson (ankle) and Byron Maxwell (ankle) did not practice and our out.

Rice (shoulder) and Malcolm Smith (hamstring) are probably.

For Arizona, TE Jim Dray (pectoral) did not practice and is out. WR Chansi Stuckey (hamstring), LB Daryl Washington (calf), WR DeMarco Sampson (hamstring), RB LeRod Stehens-Howling (hand) and RB Benie Wells (hamstring) are questionable.

LB Paris Lenon (groin) and LB Joey Porter (knee) are probable.

Notes from practice
  1. Heh. You tell em Pete!

2. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Curry what a bust, one of the worst in franchise history.

No kidding. I love that.

So glad to hear Rice will play. Looking down the road a bit, it will be interesting to see how they handle Heater’s contract. I wonder if they see Wright long term, as a Mike. Or perhaps, Wright / Heater / Smith…. Save that for later. For now, let’s see Wright kick some ass at Sam on Sunday.

4. SandpointHawk says:

Whatever K. Norton Jr. wants I’m good with. This man makes linebackers….

5. SeahawkFan12 says:

I love Pete taking Edholm to task for being an idiot. Love the fire. And I REALLY love that Rice is going to play!

6. Eric – this is an in depth salary spreadsheet. pretty cool.

If precise they have the 53 man roster at $92,191,300. Wasn’t there a $108M minimum for this year?

Finally, some Rice to throw on the union of Bevell / Jackson.
    Should bet the tri-fecta. Station casino has Hawks +3.5 at home with the 12thMan.

7. chuck_easton says:

Excile

The salary floor doesnt kick in until next year.

8. “Whatever K. Norton Jr. wants I’m good with. This man makes linebackers….”

That’s a good point. You know this didn’t happen without his input, and I’m sure he watches our LB’s closer than anyone.

9. Suck for Luck can take a break this weekend as far as I’m concerned – I want a win.

There’s plenty of other QB’s to look at in the coming draft . . .

10. thx chuck_e
    Carroll / Schneider will be forced to spend big next year. If the floor remains 108M they are presently 14M under that. Add 5M or likely 10M when Curry is traded / released. Another 5M for Whitehurst That alone is 30M. Subtract QB of F, 10M. So estimate around 15 to 20 million they must spend. And an option of at least 12M before reaching the cap.

Time to check out the crop of FA’s due next fall.

11. ee gads… my math is off. 16 M under. Add 2M if ya would. Good thing I wasn’t the one making the spreadsheet. This is why I gave up becoming an accountant.

12. KJ Wright may start this week, but he hasn’t earned anything yet. It will be interesting to see if this lights a fire under one underachieving Aaron Curry. That may be exactly what Coach Carroll is trying to do.

13. In the first two games, the conservative offensive scheme was stopping itself. Sidney Rice will be a welcome addition.

Send Rice deep and throw to BMW.
    Send BMW deep and throw to Rice.
    Pass early and often until AZ commits a safety to double-covering somebody.
    Then Run, Run, Run the ball.
    Tell Okung and Carpenter their jobs are to block the DEs by themselves.
    And Let Zach Miller run receiving routes instead of helping the OTs.

Not until then will we find out what Tarvaris has to offer as a playmaker.

14. boucherm says:

I’m pretty sure the spending minimum doesn’t take effect until 2013

15. MadSweeney42 says:

Sorry ACIB,

Curry doesn’t even come close to being a biggest bust anywhere. He’s a solid LB who hasn’t lived up to his hype. That’s all. He’s not even the biggest LB bust in Seahawks history. I understand you don’t like him, but he was universally praised before the draft, there’s no shame or blame in selecting him and having him not pan out. It happens all the time.

16. Curry isn’t solid. He’s a liability. He can’t cover, overpursues too much, isn’t instinctive, looks lost, gets more than his fair share of yellow flags, etc. He may be solid at the point of attack but his positive attributes don’t match his negatives. Therefore, he’s below average, even for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

17. HawkfaninMT says:

As far as Fas go next year, it begins and ends with Ben Grubbs at LG

18. Bobby, You cant help but wonder what would happen if he were to bulk up 15-20 more lbs and just become a pass rush specialist.

he may not be smart enough to get himself to the point of attack, so they ought to bring the point of attack to him, so to speak. Hes obviously smart enough to just flail his arms around and run and hit the qb.

Honestly though, I think Curry is best suited as the kind of guy who takes his helmet off, grasps it by the facemask, and swings it at an opponents players helmet or kneecap a few times, hurts the other player, gets ejected, and likely tossed out of the league.

son of a bitch did our LBs look good on paper, now tatupu is getting a job at walmart as a night stocker, and curry is demoted in favor of a swill of backups. JP should still be on this roster, and sanchez should have taken a few tidbits of info from hasselbeck about how to be a seahawks qb. We’d be a lot better off.

19. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Absolutely agreed Radeon^ A LB corp of Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu, and Leroy Hill already was tops in the league among 4-3 defenses. We didnt need to blow the highest draft pick in over a decade and another god damned linebacker. Who was the retard that went hired Ruskell again?

“KJ Wright may start this week, but he hasn’t earned anything yet. It will be interesting to see if this lights a fire under one underachieving Aaron Curry. That may be exactly what Coach Carroll is trying to do.

(admit it, you all loved seeing Curry destroy Steven Jackson in his first game as a pro in 2009, and we all would love to see more of that.)”

Dude, are you high? HE’S BEING BENCHED FOR A ROOKIE. This is not to light a fire, this is because he’s so terrible the coaching staff feels more comfortable with a rookie at his spot. The contract restructuring was supposed to light a fire under Curry, and instead he’s responded with more awful performances and now he’s been benched. What are you gonna say next, maybe him being cut/traded will light a fire under him?

And no, I don’t care for his rookie debut performance. He finished with a total of 5 tackles, no impact plays, and an overrated tackle on an overrated RB on a 2-14 team.

20. Boz worth was a complete animal. Tuned in just to watch him. BEST I’ve ever seen including Ray lewis. Say what you will but he was. Like Boz said; shame he and Boo didn’t have longer NFL careers. Bust? His short time in Seattle was ten fold that of David Wyman.

21. There you go, ACIB, celebrate while you can.

I don’t think KJ Wright has earned anything yet. I think the Seahawks have 2 very good LBs in Hill and Heater, and then they have a bunch of guys who haven’t had a big impact yet. KJ has youth and potential, Curry has strength, Smith as speed, but none of them have earned a starting role yet. I suspect we’ll see plenty more of Aaron Curry this year alternating with KJ until one of them steps up.

22. I’m getting the feeling ACIB doesn’t like one of our linebackers. : )
    Meanwhile, the OLine says “yah, keep talking about the defense and maybe nobody will notice we can’t cross midfield”.

23. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Wright hasn’t earned anything? Sure. Neither has Curry. He was gifted a starting position from day 1 due to his draft position and absurd contract. Then what did he do? Proceed to stink up the joint and provide the worst linebacker play this side of the Rockies. Despite all the patience, the scheme adjustments, Curry is still the same
    garbage player he was on Day 1.

24. I can’t find any of the sports websites (Fox, CBS, ESPN, etc) experts that pick SEA to beat AZ this Sunday. SEA has more urgent needs than better LB play. Hope to see some fraction of better OL play this week. At least a slight, but noticeable improvement there would mean they are starting to get their stuff together. If Lynch can get an average of at least a yard before first contact I’ll be happy.

25. confucious says:

excile… When you create a joke, you should end it with a punchline. Some people might be under the impression that you were serious about Mr. Bozworths playing skills. ACIB…. Yes, Mr. Curry has not lived up to the hype that preceded him. We agree. Now if you could see into the future as well as you can decipher the past, gm may be a good fit for you.

26. For the record, I’ve almost always thought he’d be better suited for Leo but when he tweets crap like he’s a LB and didn’t like the other stuff he was doing the past few years (i.e. rushing the passer) that tells me that he’s a fool who doesn’t care about the team as much as he cares about Aaron Curry. You never heard John Carlson tweet that he’s not a fullback or a glofied offensive tackle or any of our RBs talk about how worthless their run blocking is, Earl Thomas bitching about how their front four can’t ever get any pressure, etc. When Curry ran his fingers off in some of those boneheaded tweets, that’s when I turned on him.

27. Correct, ACIB, I said that KJ Wright hasn’t earned anything yet. Neither has Curry. Get over it. KJ Wright has played one decent game in the pros. About the same as Curry accomplished after his first game. Coaches have given up on waiting for Curry, and Wright is simply being given the chance to earn a starting spot; he hasn’t earned it yet.

28. ACIB: “A LB corp of Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu, and Leroy Hill already was tops in the league among 4-3 defenses”

Dude, Julian Peterson’s ability was starting to crash in 2009 and Ruskell knew he needed to replace his OLB. Peterson in 2009 was like Lawyer Milloy in 2010, done, but but team had no one to replace him yet. Ruskell got that call right and traded Peterson just before Peterson lost his speed and retired. Ruskell blew it as far as scouting Curry, but so did every other scout in the business.

For the record, although I’ve been rooting for Curry to improve for 2+ years, I didn’t want to see him drafted in Seattle. I wanted Ruskell to trade down and draft Brian Orakpo as a DE. He would be a cornerstone of our D by now.

Stevo – I have to disagree. Wright played very well in the season opener as well as preseason. He’s earned his chance to start. Now, that doesn’t mean Curry didn’t hand it to him by his own inept play, because he did. Curry plays at any capable level, Wright doesn’t take his spot. But to say that Wright hasn’t hasn’t earned this start is wrong, IMO.