Kolb says game vs. Hawks a must-win

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm with 14 Comments »
September 21, 2011 1:55 pm
Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb (4) throws to wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald in the second half of an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md., Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

And during a teleconference with Seattle-area reporters this afternoon, Kolb confirmed that Seattle did indeed show interest in him the past, two seasons.

“It was the year that Philly was talking about they were willing to get rid of me, (Mike) Vick or Donovan (McNabb),” Kolb said. “And it ended up that Donovan was gone and Philly wasn’t going to trade me. So I think they (Philadelphia) were asking something outrageous. So I think that’s whenever most of that talk was heating up as far as I know.”

Seattle reportedly would have given up a first and third-round pick to Philadelphia for Kolb’s services two years ago.

Listen to Kolb talk about the possibility of going to Seattle in audio clip below.

[wpaudio url="" text=MP3: Kolb audio"]

Kolb also talked about the Seahawks’ interest in him this past offseason.

“I think early there was some interest,” Kolb said. “But there’s so many games you just never know what the truth is. And then I think once it started to dial down, they figured out they wanted Tarvaris (Jackson), and that Arizona was the best chance for me. So it played out well, and everybody was pretty honest with each other, and I appreciated their interest from the very beginning.”

Kolb said bout eight teams were interested in making a trade initially, but then once they realized what Philadelphia was asking for in terms of compensation and what he wanted in contract terms, teams begin to back off.

“We could see that coming,” Kolb said about the situation. “And then it just came down to a deal where, ‘Hey, I want to be there. You want me there. Let’s get it done.’ And that’s kind of how it went.”

Once Arizona consummated the trade, they signed Kolb to a six-year, $65 million contract

Kolb said that now he’s the guy in Arizona, it feels good to have clarity in his role as the starter on the team, so now he can focus on going out and performing.

“I haven’t had that since I’ve been in the NFL,” he said. “That’s something that I missed. It’s obviously something I wanted to get to. I commented on it a few times in the last, couple years, and Andy Reid granted me that wish. So to come to a place like this, I couldn’t be more excited. I think we have good, talented team. Everybody’s hungry.”

With Arizona at 1-1 heading into this NFC West division contest, Kolb said he and his teammates are approaching this game as a must-win situation.

“You hate to say it this early in the season, but we’re thinking of it as a must win,” Kolb said. “I mean that’s our mentality. And we’re upset with ourselves last week in letting one get away. So it’s very important for us to get off on the right foot, not only in the first quarter, but of course in our first division game.”

1. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

If we lose this game I really do think we’ll be the frontrunnera for Andrew Luck.

Wow ACIB, you are finally making some sense! Lol. Keep it up!

3. PixelDummy says:

I don’t care how good Kolb has looked in two games, a first and a third for him would have been ridiculous…on second thought I guess if that first was A. Curry maybe not so bad. I think Kolb may do well this year but will come down quite a bit when teams have a whole year of film on him.

4. MadSweeney42 says:

It’s going to take a tremendous effort to beat out KC. Much tougher division and their best players on both sides of the ball are already out for the season.

I’m glad we didn’t trade for Kolb, the price is too high for an unproven guy. We need and will get someone out of college next year. Even if KC is #1, a trade could be made. It’d be costly but by then it might be worth it. With the rookie contract cap, I think a lot more shuffling will happen in the top 10 than we usually see and PC/JS seem to be keen shufflers.

5. does matt mccoy have 2 different colored eyes?

6. no wonder they suck so bad, they’re playing cornhole instead of football.

7. timcapone says:

“Coach Pete Carroll told reporters here today that the Seahawks showed interest in quarterback Kevin Kolb two years ago, and also took a look at him last season.”

Yes I but he is really interested in him now seeing the TJ diaster, to bad it is about 4 months to late.

8. six-year, $65 million

9. Kolb cost $65 million, a pro bowl CB, and a second round draft choice.

If Kolb doesn’t win a super bowl, he’s a bigger bust than Aaron Curry.

and he won’t.

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“Kolb cost $65 million, a pro bowl CB, and a second round draft choice.

If Kolb doesn’t win a super bowl, he’s a bigger bust than Aaron Curry.

and he won’t.”

This is terrible logic, I hope you were kidding. Kolb is already looking like an above average QB, while Curry is worth neither the draft pick nor absurd contract (that was as big as Kolb’s even though he plays freaking OLB), and is worse than his predecessor Julian Peterson.

11. ACIB, god damn you’re stupid, son. Do you ever do anything but whine????? You’re like a five year old girl! As intelligent as one too. Dave Wyman has forgotten more about football than you will ever know. Too bad you’re too stupid and myopic, focused on your hate for TJ and AC. Why do you even watch the Seahawks????? There’s a difference between being realistic about your team and being a pessimistic, delusion douche bag. Just go away. Your ONE tune has gotten old.

12. *delusional