Gallery, Rice still uncertain for Sunday

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm with 27 Comments »
September 5, 2011 6:35 pm

Two of the Seattle Seahawks major free agent acquisitions may not be ready for Sunday’s opener against San Francisco.

Offensive guard Robert Gallery and receiver Sidney Rice did not practice on Monday, and head coach Pete Carroll said he’ll wait and see until later in the week if both are ready.

Gallery is nursing a sprained right knee he suffered in the first half against Oakland.

“He’s had a couple good days here,” Carroll said about Gallery. “He’s got a sprained knee and we’re just going to have to see how it goes day to day. We’ll watch him carefully and he’s hopeful that he can make it back by the weekend. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Rice was held out of the last preseason game with a sore shoulder.

“We’ll wait later in the week to know what’s going on with him,” Carroll said about Rice.

With Gallery out, veteran Paul McQuistan, who backed up Gallery in Oakland, worked at left guard along with rookie James Carpenter. But the rookie from Alabama working at left guard is more out of necessity in case he has to play there in a game situation, with the Seahawks likely only suiting up seven or eight offensive linemen for the 45-man roster.

Carpenter also got work with the first unit at right tackle.

Carroll also addressed picking up new kicker Steven Hauschka on the waiver wire after the team released Jeff Reed.

“We had out eyes on Hauschka the whole time, all through the summer time,” Carroll said. “And we didn’t know if he would make it there or not. But that was a guy we were watching. So when he became available, we jumped on him.”

Carroll said that the team placed Jimmy Wilkerson on the season-ending, injured reserve because he has a knee injury that needs surgery.

“Unfortunately, if that wasn’t the case then we wouldn’t have hung on longer,” Carroll said. “But it’s a knee that he’s hurt before. And the damage is enough that there was no way that we could count on him getting back. So we need to take care of him, and that’s why we had to do that.”

The Seahawks got more good news on the Russell Okung front. Carroll said he looks good and is ready to go.

“He practiced enough last week to let us know he would be ready this week,” Carroll said. “He worked really hard in pregame at game time the other night. He was dying to play, but we wouldn’t put him in. We wanted to wait a few more days. But he practiced full-go today, and he’s ready to go for this game.”

Some tidbits

* The Seahawks announced captains today, which are voted on by the team. Tarvaris Jackson is the offensive captain, Marcus Trufant is the defensive captain, and Leon Washington and Michael Robinson are special teams co-captain.

* WR Isaiah Stanback was dropped from the injured reserve list and is no longer with the team.

* RB Marshawn Lynch (ankle) and LB David Hawthorne (knee) did not practice today, but are expected to practice on Wednesday. “Marshawn is well, he’ll be fine,” Carroll said. “David, we need to see how he takes to the practice work.”

* Carroll talked about some of the new additions to the team. Defensive tackle Al Woods was with defensive line coach Todd Wash at Tampa Bay, and at 6-4, 307 pounds, has a similar body type to Red Bryant.

* Defensive tackle Landon Cohen is pretty active and at 6-3, 300 pounds, perhaps could provide some of the inside pass rush that was expected out of Wilkerson.

* At 6-5, 317 pounds, offensive tackle Jarriel King out of South Carolina is a guy Carroll says has tremendous potential. King has an ankle injury and did not practice today.

“We’re excited about the future for him,” Carroll said. “He played right tackle. And he had been a left side tackle at South Carolina in the SEC and did very well there. We think this is a really good move for the future, and we think this is a guy we can develop.”

* Carroll said that Colin Cole was healthy, but still needed to get his conditioning level up. The team released Cole during final roster cut downs.

“With Mebane taking over at nose tackle, it just made it obvious that that was the move for us,” Carroll said

Notes from practice
  1. Skavage says:

Can’t hardly wait for Sunday! As much as my head tells me 5…maybe 6 wins this season, my heart says I hope we win em all! :)

2. HawkyHann says:

Wait, Sidney is hurt, again. That’s weird.

3. pabuwal says:

Any chance Eric also has Wednesday’s lottery numbers since he knows who practiced on Wednesday?

4. Willdog says:

Hey, thanks to all you fans. I just hope all the players give a 100% this season. I can imagine that some of the free agents could potentially kick back and nurse some little injuries while checking in on their account balances simultaneosly. I just hope we get a whole hearted effort from every player on the team and no BS!

So, on that note, GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Own the West.

5. Rice and Gallery are following the typical Seahawk trend. It seems to be where washed up o-lineman and past their prime receivers go to die.

I’m just hopeful Rice isn’t past his prime this early in his career.

6. Rice was 24 years old a week ago. He’s going to be fine, even if he’s not fine until 2012 when he’s got a real QB throwing to him. He’s my favorite Seahawk so I’m a bit biased.

7. ryanryan says:

His injuries are making clear why Rice stated the Vikings didn’t show him any interest. We may have thought we were in a bidding war, but had no counterpart.

The Gallery injury is pretty terrible too, not to mention Heater.

I can’t wait for Sunday…it will be fun to watch.

8. ryanryan – your thoughts as to why the Vikings didn’t show any interest in keeping the Junkster?

9. Good to see Carp spend a bit of time at LG even if it’s out of necessity. He’s going to be a fine NFL player, whether it be at RT or LG. He and Okung could legitimately spend 8-10 years together on the left side if he can’t adjust to pass pro at RT. Either way, we’ll be fine with him. Think positive, right?

10. I can tell you why they didn’t want jackson, if you want to ask me.

11. Am I the only one who is beginning to doubt Rice’s ability to stay healthy?

12. Please tell me you’re kidding.

13. SteelBlueLime says:

I think the Seattle Defense will keep the scoring low enough that if we can make a scoring play on defense or special teams – the Hawks will win! The shortened off-season works against the Niners (more than the Hawks) for the first few weeks!

Seattle 20 / Niners 16

14. Key for the hawks defense all year long:

Get off the dang field when you have the other team in 3rd and long!!

I can’t tell you how many times in the last 3-5 years the DEF. doesn’t get off the field after they hold them to 3rd and 7 or more.

Last year in the Denver game it seemed like we gave up like 4 or 5 3rd and longs and then in the 2nd half all we heard was – Well the offense couldn’t stay on the field so they were tired crap. Balt. has spent almost a decade with no real offense but the defense doesn’t have any trouble getting off the field.

15. I’d give the Seahawks a 40 percent shot at winning in SF, but only a 10 percent shot in Pitt. But anything can happen in football — that’s why they play the games. I’m hoping they’ll be 2-3 after the first five games, not 1-4 or 0-5.

16. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Am I the only one who thinks this is just a ploy to keep the Niners guessing? They’ll think they’re out of the woods until, to their horror, Rice is lined up across Mike Williams and vastly larger than the CBs tasked with covering them.

17. OutSydeDog says:

My goals for the Hawks never waiver, 8-0 at home and 4-4 on the road for a 12-4 record, NFC West Title, and a home playoff game. My head tells me we are headed for a 5 or 6 win season. Either way, I’ll be cheering my 12th man a** off come kickoff.

Are you ready for some football? GO HAWKS!!!

18. Actually, ACIB, the ploy is to make the Niners think that Aaron Curry is a bust. They’ve been setting this up for a year. Just wait, he’s going to have his breakout game this Sunday, turning into a monster that Alex Smith and Frank Gore will be having nightmares about for the rest of the season.

19. Canfan,

…and then you’ll wake up and see that Curry got run over and missed assignments, looking like a dumbass as usual.

20. Cole was our best run-stuffer.

21. Ewalters7354 says:

Klm,I agree Cole was our best run stuffer.He was just an overpaid one.I believe with Mebane and Branch we will once again be hard to run on.

22. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Cole wasn’t a good run stuffer. He was surprisingly good at disengaging from blocks from time to time, but I’ve seen him on multiple occasions get pushed back a good 3-5 yards by a single blocker. Plus with that grossly overpaid contract by Ruskell, he was expendible.

23. ColinColeIsBUST

24. SandpointHawk says:

Way off subject I know, but I must say I’m very glad Under Armour didn’t get the contract for the new Seahawk uniforms…..

25. What a joke.. 3 wins. The most miserable sports city in America, 4 years running.

26. Per ProFootballFocus, among all NFL DTs who played a snap at DT in the ’10 regular season, SEA’s C.Cole ranked 14th vs the run. The next SEA DT (Mebane) ranked 34th vs the run.

In ’09 Cole ranked 9th vs the run and Mebane ranked 15th. (Maybe that was part of the thing about PC playing more the 4-3 over than the under this preseason?)

In ’08 GB’s Cole ranked 121st, while SEA’s Mebane ranked 28th, Rocky Bernard ranked 32nd and Red Bryant ranked 34th vs the run.

TR made a good pickup with Cole in ’09, but then paid him after that season like he was gonna continue to improve his run-stopping performance at the same rate he did that year. Didn’t happen. Still, Cole’s cumlative run-stopping performance was better than any other SEA DT in ’09 & ’10.

PFF goes through every play and rates the performance of every player to build up a performance value at the skills of the position (like run-stopping), but I still remember the 2nd game of ’09 when Mebane was out and Terrill replaced him to start next to Cole. That was the game at Quest that SF’s Gore and their OL’s run-blkg pretty much beat us by themselves, racking up 256 yds and 2 TDs. They were playing the over and went right through Terrill and Lofa. Herring also ran himself out of those run plays. At DE for AZ’s 3-4, Branch was good at stopping the run in ’09 (ranked 4th), not as good in ’10 (ranked 35th).

SEA might play really well vs the run this season and I really hope they do, but I’ve been a little concerned about depth at DT. Never heard how bad Cole’s injury was, nor if he was asked to restructure before being cut, but if he could have been PUP’d why not?

27. freedom_X says:

I don’t believe Ruskell re-signed Cole to a big contract. Cole was a free agent from Green Bay, and Ruskell gave him a multi-year deal to sign with Seattle. Cole was still under that original contract if I’m not mistaken.

Seattle must feel they have options as good as Cole, who are younger. If Cole can’t help them this season, they’re ready to move on. He’ll just be a year older next season, and they’d be paying him more than most of the other DL’s are getting.