Hawks (finally) announce roster cuts

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm with 52 Comments »
September 3, 2011 6:50 pm

Well, three hours after the league deadline the Seattle Seahawks delivered this year’s final roster cut downs by carrier pigeon to the Williams’ household (I’m joking, kind of).

The list of players released produced a few surprises, including defensive tackle Colin Cole being released this evening. The Iowa product had been on the Physically Unable to Perform list rehabbing an ankle injury during training camp.

Cole was due $3.75 million in base salary this season if he was on the roster Week 1, and Brandon Mebane had been signed to a lucrative deal as the long-term solution at nose tackle.

Here are the players that have been released according to the team announcement: FB Dorson Boyce, WR Chris Carter, RB Thomas Clayton, DT Colin Cole, CB Kennard Cox, G Paul Fanaika, DE Maurice Fountain, C Mike Gibson, DT David Howard, LB Michael Johnson, DE Jameson Konz, S Mark LeGree, WR Ricardo Lockette, LB Mike Morgan, S Josh Pinkard, T William Robinson, DE A.J. Schable, WR Owen Spencer, RB Vai Taua, WR Patrick Williams.

DE Pierre Allen was waived/injured. And tight end John Carlson, WR Isaiah Stanback and DE Jimmy Wilkerson were placed on injured reserve.

Cornerback Roy Lewis, tight end Cameron Morrah and receiver Deon Butler were placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list for the regular season, meaning they will not be available for the first six weeks of the season.

BREAKING DOWN THE ROSTER

OFFENSE (25 PLAYERS)

Quarterbacks (3): Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Josh Portis

Running backs (4): Tailbacks – Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington, Justin Forsett. Fullback – Michael Robinson.

Wide receivers (6): Sidney Rice, Mike Williams, Ben Obomanu, Golden Tate, Kris Durham, Doug Baldwin.

Tight ends (3): Zach Miller, Anthony McCoy, Dominique Byrd.

Offensive line (9): Russell Okung, Robert Gallery, Max Unger, John Moffitt, James Carpenter, Tyler Polumbus, Lemuel Jeanpierre, Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan.

DEFENSE (25 PLAYERS)

Defensive line (9): Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane, Alan Branch, Red Bryant, Raheem Brock, Dexter Davis, Junior Siavii, Pep Levingston, Quinton McDonald

Linebackers (7): Leroy Hill, Aaron Curry, David Hawthorne, Matt McCoy, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, David Vobora.

Defensive backs (9):
Marcus Trufant, Brandon Browner, Walter Thurmond, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Atari Bigby, Byron Maxwell and Jeron Johnson.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3 PLAYERS)

Jon Ryan, Jeff Reed, Clint Gresham.

Cuts and waivers
  1. They must not think the Gallery injury is too serious. That’s a good thing.

2. boucherm says:

Suprised and disappionted about Mike Gibson. I thought he was a bright spot at the end of last year.

3. Seems that Cable sees McQuistan and Polumbus as better fits than Gibby to fill in for big Gs like Gallery and Moffitt. I think Gibson was competing with Jeanpierre for backup C and lost out.

Really surprised to see Byron Maxwell stick as the 5th CB. And Pep Livingston. But then, I would expect these guys to spend most of the year inactive anyway.

4. EyeAmBaldman says:

I thought Livingston performed well and made plays when given the opportunity. Not surprised by him sticking at all. I was a bit surprised by Cole, but possibly they intend on re-signing him after Week 1 when his salary will no longer be guaranteed–unless the injury is still an issue.

I was also surprised by Legree, but he was way down the depth chart–especially as a 5th rd. pick. I’m guessing he’ll be signed to the PS with Lockette and hopefully Clayton.

5. williambryan says:

Very dissapointed to see Wilkerson go on IR. He looked really good and I thought would have been a real force for us. I like the depth at DT but only as pass rushers (pocket collapsers) not so much as run stoppers. Really interested to see the practice squad.

6. williambryan says:

i would like to see Cole brought back at a price that works for both sides.

7. freedom_X says:

It’s hopefully a sign of improved depth that the draft picks aren’t automatically making the roster. I would have liked to see them keep Clayton though. If/when Lynch gets dinged, all they’ll have are scatbacks left, without any real short-yardage power.

I don’t think Michael Robinson can be a feature back. And they would need him to block for the short-yardage back.

8. HawksKD says:

Really sucks about Clayton I liked his physicality and catching ability…. Reminded me a little bit of Leonard weaver

9. Only four RB/FB is a concern

10. For all of us who wanted big changes in the O line, consider this:

Only Okung, Unger, Polumbus, and Giacomini are left from 2010.

Only Unger is left from the 2009 line.

11. I’m pleased that Browner and Baldwin made the squad. Both are good finds by the FO.

Under new rules, Clayton is eligible for the PS and will surely be placed there if he clears waivers.

12. Ewalters7354 says:

Read Aaron Curry’s twitter and he said he’s confused by the cut list.I’m starting to hate him more and more.ACIB,I’m almost on the bandwagon.

13. Last year they kept 5 LBs on the September roster. This year 7, so McCoy, Smith, and Vobora all made it but can’t be feeling too comfortable.

Also, it will be very interesting to see what happens once Butler comes off PUP in six weeks.

14. Why ir stanback? He wont ever help this team

Surprised on Cole, Gibson, Clayton thats it.

Little by fanaika.

I think possible PS would be:
    Legree
    Fanaika
    Lockette
    Pinkard
    Konz

Last year didn’t they get someone from another team for PS

15. MadSweeney42 says:

These guys need to just not use twitter.

I’m onboard with wishing Clsyton had made the cut. We really need a bruiser. The rest is all right with me, though if Cole’s injury isn’t a concern, I too would like to see him re-signed.

16. So any cuts from around the league the hawks might target?

Merriweather @safety
    Olshanky @ DL

17. chuck_easton says:

Clayton has PS eligibility so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there.

18. “Why ir stanback? He wont ever help this team”

Either they think he has potential or they’re not permitted to waive an injured player, without a settlement being reached. Eric would probably know.

19. seahawk44 says:

Will Clayton clear waivers?

20. nighthawk2 says:

Keeping Robinson over Clayton is a mistake. Hope they can get LeGree, Vaua, Konz, Pinkard and Willaims on the practice squad.

21. Ok Curry, what about the cuts are confusing? Ae you surprised you still have a job?

22. @nighthawk. They kept Robinson as a FB and Clayton as a RB didn’t line him up as a lead blocker at all- so in essence I don’t think they were in direct competition

23. boucherm says:

I saw McCoy line up in the backfield a little last night, so I guess he’s the FB if Robinson gets hurt in game?
    It’ll be interesting to see what furhter moves come down the next couple days. I wouldn’t be sleeping too well if I were one of the bubble guys that made it, especially the way our FO has been active, I’ll bet this is like another Christmas for Schneider.

24. yes, I would bet the pro scouts who work for Schneider won’t be sleeping for the next couple of nights.

25. ryanryan says:

@xcman

“So any cuts from around the league the hawks might target?

Merriweather @safety
    Olshanky @ DL

I know both are older but could they be better than what we have? I also don’t know if they fit our schemes”

Meriweather is only 27, 2 straight pro-bowls…but I doubt he will be targeted and most certainly wouldn’t want to play for the hawks.

26. akmac63 says:

hope clayton and lockette clear waivers and make the ps

27. that sucks about jimmy wilkerson, i was looking forward to seeing him rack up some sacks.

also hoping fountain can make it onto the practice squad, he seems like a good player, same for pierre.

28. Clayton is a shame. Hope he ends up on the pc, but i expect he will get signed to someone’s active roster. I still think we should have released or traded Lynch & kept Clayton as the 3rd part of a 3 headed running back.

29. There are 12 names on the roster I’ve never heard of. I assume most are low round draft picks……….

30. elkhorn says:

Twelve? One or two sure, but twelve?

31. Moo I think you are a little crazy on Lynch getting cute ;)

32. SeahawkFan12 says:

Psyched to see Jeron Johnson make the team!

33. CDN_C_Hawk says:

Since it looks like Clayton isn’t PS eligible, ( contract terminated, according to Sando ) One RB I was impressed with during pre-season that was released, is,
    Chris Ogbonnaya, from the Texans. I’m not sure where our waiver position is, but I can’t see this guy getting back to the Texans.

34. bigsmooth says:

You realize Clayton is 2 years older then Lynch, right? Knock it off.

35. Clayton did a nice job in preseason. But every preseason a bunch of unknown RBs lead their teams in rushing. Sort of like backup QBs having their day in the sun.

I don’t really think Clayton was ever a candidate to make this team as long as Lynch is here and healthy. Carroll had the luxury of starting preseason already knowing who his running backs would be; why wear them out before the season begins. Every carry Clayton got in the preseason was just one more hit that Marshawn did not need to endure so that he’ll be a little fresher to pound people for 16 games.

36. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Ewalter, Curry was probably surprised he wasn’t cut. He frequently hints at the possibility of him being expendable by the new regime. Good riddance I say when it finally happens.

37. I didn’t realize that Curry has an older brother, Eric Barton, who played in the league for a dozen years (and just retired apparently). He was given up for adoption by Curry’s mom and they reunited last year. I must have been hiding under a rock when this news came out.

38. Canfan, That’s quite a story about Aaron Curry and his long-lost brother. Goes to show that genetics have more than a little bit to do with creating elite athletes.

And I know dissing Curry is great sport here, but I expect him to have a really good year. I think they’re going to limit him to being a 2-down Sam and not expect him to do much in coverage. And I think with that focus Curry is going to thump the crap out of a lot of RBs this year, and he and Red Bryant working together on the strong side will be one of the best strengths of this defense. I’m expecting Curry, Hill, and Hawthorne to all have good seasons.

Agree with everything Nighthawk said.

40. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Hooray, our 4th overall pick is a 2 down linebacker.

41. Stevos – thank you for calming the waters. Enlightening and true…

42. Oops in regards to Clayton..

43. Was just looking at the huge list of transactions John Schneider completed just after the cut to 53 last year. Note that only ONE player from last year’s practice squad is still on this team (Jeanpierre). Most on that September 2010 PS never played a down.

But just before completing the practice squad, Schneider signed DE Raheem Brock, RB Michael Robinson and DT Junior Siavii from other team’s cuts. And those are the guys who actually mattered. What I’m saying is we probably don’t know who the real 53 are yet.

44. Reason I am so down on Lynch is I can remember exactly 1 high quality carry as a Seahawk, which was the long gain in the New Orleans game.

Not that any of the rb’s are tearing up anything with this o line, but it seems to me that MS has been more mediocre than Forsett or Washington as a Hawk.

45. ACIB your schtick is played out and very annoying. stfu already.

46. Sarcasticus says:

7 linebackers seems a bit excessive for a team that runs a 4-3. So, assuming no one loses a job to the ‘Hawks picking up a cut player from another team; who will be cut when PuP’s are ready? Byrd? Verbora? McDonald?

47. confucious says:

I have too agree with moo. However if this line starts to gell maybe marshawn will become more productive.

48. Skavage says:

The Clayton release was the only really bad mistake I see. I hope he makes it onto our practice squad. Sort of reminds me of when Forsett came on the scene and we released him, only to see the Colts snag him up. We were really lucky they ended up releasing him and giving us the chance to get him back. I doubt that will happen again. :(

49. morleytr says:

The Dolphins cut QB Pat Devlin yesterday. Now I am a Blue Hen alumnus, so I am biased, but Devlin has potential in this league. I would not mind seeing him signed, but then again I like Portis too. Also interesting is that the Fins terminated Ray Willis’ contract.

50. I wonder if it has ever dawned on Mr. Happy that a really good blocking FB would help the running game, too? Robinson is nothing special, even though he’s not terrible, and McCoy lining up there is a joke (like Carlson before him). Maybe QB isn’t the only position they can’t evaluate? They seem to have the DL, LB, DB, OL, WR, RB… thing down pretty good though. Maybe Paul Allen should hire a separate GM to manage the QBs and FBs (joke… kind of)?

51. Thought Gibson might win a starting spot but ends up getting cut. Maybe another team picks him up? Can’t wait to see who Schneids swoops in on upcoming.
    Lynch fights for every yard. Turns a 2 yard loss into a gain. Hopefully this line comes together and soon so Lynch can attack the second level in “Beast Mode”
    yea ,, no more K Jennings, Cincy gave us what for him?
    with Stevo on Curry .. Julian Peterson didn’t shine until his 3rd year