Carroll mum on how much starters will play vs. Raiders

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm with 52 Comments »
September 1, 2011 1:47 pm

If you’re looking for any information on how much and who will play on Friday against the Oakland Raiders, I can’t help you. Seattle Seahawks Pete Carroll isn’t telling.

The Seattle head coach is playing things close to the vest a day before the team’s final preseason game.

“We have our schedule for playing guys,” Carroll said. “I know you want to know what it is, but I’ll tell you tomorrow night.”

Carroll would only confirm that running back Marshawn Lynch (ankle) and linebacker David Hawthorne (knee) will not play against Oakland.

Others who did not practice on Thursday include Sidney Rice (shoulder), Mike Williams (toe), Isaiah Stanback (hamstring) and Kam Chancellor (foot).

“Mike has had a sore toe all fall camp,” Carroll said about Mike Williams. “And he toughed it out to make it through the last, three weeks. And so we think it’s a good idea to get him these extra days here so it will not be an issue at all, because he still does feel it. But he’s just played through it. So he wants to play, and we’re not letting him.”

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will start on Friday, along with the rest of the starters on offense who are healthy. But again, Carroll would not say how long they will go.

Charlie Whitehurst and Josh Portis also will get a chance to play, Carroll said.

Jackson said it doesn’t matter how much he plays, he’ll be ready.

“I just want to be sharp,” Jackson said. “However long we’re out there, I want to make sure we execute the offense and make sure we don’t have penalties. Just the little things that we’ve been working on this week, the things that the coaches have been harping on as a whole, we just want to make sure that we get that turned around.”

Carroll said final cuts will be even tougher in the team’s second year, a sign that the front office has improved the talent level of the roster.

“The last four or five picks are really the ones that are challenging, and we’ve got to do a good job with it,” Carroll said. “And they’ll be a lot of guys that don’t get to stay with us that deserve to play in the league. So we’re at a better stage than we were a year ago in that regard.”

Carroll singled out undrafted free agents receiver Doug Baldwin, quarterback Josh Portis, receiver Ricardo Lockette and linebacker Mike Morgan as players that will make the final roster cut down decisions tougher.

The Seahawks also made another roster move, signing receiver Owen Spencer and releasing offensive linemen Brent Osborne.

Notes from practice
  1. pabuwal says:

How do I know whether or not to take or give the points on Friday night’s game without this secret information Carroll is holding onto?

2. Don’t bet on football this week. Let me sell you some vacation property in Florida.

The only less predictable week to bet on is week 17.

4. I could care less, but I don’t understand why it’s top secret information as to how long players are scheduled to play in a meaningless game (not meaningless to those fighting for a job).

5. pabuwal says:

Seattle is favored by 3.5 points with an O/U of 38. The line should be “off” with Carroll withholding this information – it’s almost like making a bet without knowing whether or not Peyton Manning will start a game.

6. Ewalters7354 says:

I hate Pete having Tjack still as our starting QB smh…the guy is trash!

7. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Yeah I’m not wild about Tarvaris either but I rest easy knowing that they will probably bench him for Whitehurst if he struggles repeatedly in the regular season.

8. Carson Palmer is in Cinn. tonight and likely to play this year for $ 11 Million!

9. Ewalters7354 says:

ACIB,agreed.I have a strange feeling he’ll struggle tomorrow with better protection.I just feel it.

10. Duke – your boy Balmer got released by Carolina. lol

11. silverado110 says:

I think it’s good for TJ to be in there until the line gets better.
    That way CW dosent get the hits..

12. SeahawkFan12 says:

I’m so happy Carson Palmer is going to play for Cinci. I am tired of the speculation about him landing here (and thank god that rumor is untrue).

13. SeahawkFan12 says:

…if indeed THAT rumor (about him returning to Cinnci) is true.

14. I never wanted Palmer. I thought it made no sense to get rid of Matt only to get another QB over 30. However, I’d take him in a heartbeat of the alternative is Jackson. I just wouldn’t give the (probable) asking price.

15. pabuwal says:

Duke doesn’t want to see Palmer show up to the Seahawks next week either.

16. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I think most of us are in agreement we’d rather have Palmer over Jackson. Too bad we already traded Kelly Jennings to him. I mean, Aaron Curry is our ‘best’ trade bait but the Bengals are stacked at LB already.

17. I bet Lofa wishes he’d taken the cut in salary.

18. Ewalters7354 says:

Bobbyk,I said the exact same thing about Lofa.

19. pabuwal says:

I don’t think either Tatupu or Hasselbeck will be starting after week 6. They both could have been starters on a bad Seahawks team but didn’t seem to understand their skill level and value in today’s NFL.

20. Matt actually left and got more money. I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make?

21. chuck_easton says:

Pabuwal,

Tatupu has to get signed somewhere before he has the chance to get benched.

At this point he will be lucky to get an offer to be a backup until after week one.

22. Hasselbeck will be handing off and tossing screen passes to CJ who signed for 3 years 31 M earlier today. Doubt Hass has any regrets. Britt comes back and he’ll have a loaded O with a solid line.

23. rgbuckl says:

I’m breaking the chain a little here, and I hope this wasn’t already posted somewhere on here, but check out this video on Baldwin. I’m loving this guy too and he seems genuine.

…and the bad luck of “only” being recruited by Stanford had to suck! (facetious)

24. pabuwal says:

Hasselbeck received basically what amounts to a 1 year, $9 million contract from Tennessee ($3m base + $6m signing bonus). The Seahawks offered him a 1 year, $7.5m contract.

In Tennessee, he will have a very short leash and will not start for the team next year unless he has an All-Pro type of season. His replacement is already on the roster and will get his shot sooner rather than later. The fans and the coaching staff will have no hesitation in giving him the boot.

In Seattle, he would have been the unquestioned starter for the entire year and would have had the chance to show he could be the longer-term starter which would provide him a much larger contract with the ability to finish his career in a city that loved him. He would have had more room for error. There is no one on this roster that could have challenged him as a starter.

He gave up all this for a mere $1.5m more. He miscalculated back in March, probably realized he made an error when the lockout ended – but it was too late.

25. Munchak has made it clear that Matt is his starter this year (with the assumption they are still in contention).

26. pabuwal says:

If Hasselbeck falters and Locker continues to look promising, Munchak will quickly pull an Andy Reid. It’s tough to ever take what NFL Coaches say at face value.

Carolina… didn’t take them long to figure it out.

Pabs – I’d love to know how much money you donkey off betting on preseason games. lol

28. Is it the off-season yet? I’ve never had less excitement for a season in a long, long time. Of course, I’m still excited with how guys develop during the season but the level is much less intense than it’s been in a long time. Knowing our QB situation sucks is the culprit. You’ve gotta at least have hope, but until we get someone who can play the most important position in sports, it kind of sucks. And, no, it doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch games or anything. I’ll still do it as always and root for the team, but it’s like the Gophers of the 80s trying to play with Nebraska. You can wish in one hand and take a dump in the other hand and at the end of the day you’ll be pretty sure which you’ll have more of. Kind of like us expecting big things with and from Jackson. Give me a Matt to play QB next year and I’ll be happy (Barkley, Flynn, Hasselbeck).

I hear you about the QB situation. The expectations there cast a cloud, no doubt. But come on… this is going to be a great year. The pillars of a championship(s) are being raised before our eyes! Fire up son!

30. pabuwal says:

Duke – I’m not quite at the degenerate level yet where I bet on preseason games but I found it pretty amusing that Carroll is treating this information like it is week 17 against the Rams again. I figured I would have some fun with it.

Bigger than the QB situation on this team is the speed situation. By bringing in bigger and slower players, Carroll is trying to recreate what he had at USC. Trouble is, most of these big and slow players from USC did not translate well into the NFL.

I don’t want to go into this season watching Mike Williams run 5 yards, realize he won’t be able to create separation and then wave for a jump ball. I also don’t want to see Brandon Browner trailing WRs by 10 yards on deep balls or watching him constantly being called for PI because he is forced to play too aggressively on the intermediate stuff.

If Okung and Breno can stabilize the pass protection I think the QB situation will improve itself. But I don’t think this run game will go anywhere unless Washington can get 15 touches a game to add some big play ability. Forsett and Lynch simply don’t scare anyone.

I think the only players that can stretch the field on offense are Washington, Obomanu and Morrah – all of which are role players at this point.

And we will answer the question – who is more important to the Seahawks run defense – Bryant or Cole? I think it was Cole but most people think it was Bryant.

31. I know. I know (I’m in the wrong). I’ve seen too much of the Junkster to get all that fired up and don’t want to see anymore (unless he’s on a team I don’t like and can laugh about it). I just want a real QB to watch grow. Maybe Charlie if he gets a chance?

32. If a rookie OLer has 0 yrs NFL experience, and Okung has 1 yr, Unger say has 2, and what does Gallery have 7 yrs? Then at the start of the reg season SEA’s OL will have an avg experience of 2 yrs, and will have 3 yrs to start the following season. I don’t ever remember an OL for this team that started out the season with that little experience. The ’00 SEA’s OL started with 2.8 yrs avg experience and SEA ended up 4th in the AFCW. In ’09 SEA’s OL started with an avg experience of 3.2 yrs and SEA ended up 3rd in the NFCW. In ’96 SEA’s OL started with a 3.6 yrs avg experience and SEA ended up 4th in the AFCW. When SEA’s OL had 5, 6, & 7 years OL experience to start the season they tended to win the division or place 2nd. Probably coincidence, but I’m not looking to win the NFCW this season, nor next.

How does everyone feel about the Cards up 20 – zip on the same Broncos Seattel faced last week? Yes, thankfully it’s “only” preseason.

34. This is the start of a great, great team. But we shouldn’t get expectations too high too soon.

*Seattle*

Pab – Honestly, I presumed you were being sarcastic. Having fun myself. (But we do love our gambling…)

36. Duke –
    What got me was the 9ers jumping up on SD 14-0 in the 1st qtr.

37. pabuwal says:

Duke – what if Carson Palmer signs with Seattle next week but they hold him out of the first regular season game because of his late arrival – do I still win the bet?

38. ChrisHolmes says:

Carson Palmer won’t be a Seahawk…

This is Andrew Luck’s team.

He just doesn’t know it yet.

39. What are the chances that Andrew Luck will be a bust? Just asking because everyone’s acting like he’s a sure thing. I haven’t really watched him play (aside from some highlights), but I also know that people were also high on Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, David Carr and Tim Couch, who all went No. 1 overall.

40. Carson Palmer can’t sign with Seattle he is not a FA

41. timcapone says:

I say if TJack the whole game if Carrol is intent on making him the starter. He obviously needs as much game experience as he can… and really if he gets hurt has the team really lost anything at this point?

42. IMO the seahawks a torn acl away from a winning record. Now if someone (maybe Gallery) would block Tardvaris Jackson low enough to buckle his knees backwards, I’d buy their jersey.

43. akmac63 says:

There are some really weird comments here today. Is Sept. 1 the new fools day?
    The team is “slower”??
    PC will play to get Luck?
    Luck is guaranteed to be the franchise QB?
    A QB who is running for his life (TJ) is automatically no good?
    I’m far from being an expert but bs is recognizable anywhere. There are some knowledgeable fans here that one can respect and others that only show up to put players and coaches down. I hope PC and the kids make the pessimists look foolish by week 10, even if the overall record is well below 50/50. Very few new players come in and take over their first season, especially without a veteran team around them.

44. jboard1 says:

This is off topic, but i’m curious if anyone knows somewhere online i can catch the game tonight? I just moved into a new house and direct tv doesn’t come until tomorrow. Luckily the internet is being setup today. Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance

45. MadSweeney42 says:

pabuwal-

On the Hass situation- I am sure he has regrets about having to uproot his family as well as regrets that he’s not a Seahawk anymore (though I hope they do the 1 day deal when he retires), but situationally he should have none. I don’t think that no matter how good Locker shows during the season that they’ll keep him with a clipboard all season-long like Palmer was brought into play his rookie year. The Titans are not in win-now mode and Locker has enough question marks around him that throwing him into the fire has as much of a chance to fail as an of the big busts. As long as he stays healthy, Matt will be the starter on a team with a run game that gives him some breathing room.

As for us, well the QB situation blows. I wasn’t happy with the Jackson signing and from pre-season (as well as a few days with Madden ’12) I’m even less happy. But I think I see the plan, and a probowl QB isn’t in them. They’re building around the QB position so that when they find him he’s ready to plug into a young group whose window is just opening. Two years in a row with a new QB on 2 year contracts screams “placeholder” to me. It’s going to just suck for long stretches, but I don’t think we’re in “Suck for Luck” mode. We’ll have leaders emerge, players that want to play emerge and in the offseason we’ll get our QBotF and then BAM all of a sudden the NFCW will be one of the best in the league!

BTW, I wasn’t kidding about Madden. The Hawks are very nearly unplayable with TJ in there. Can’t get the ball anywhere near the WRs. Might have to play online with someone other than the Hawks. Chargers maybe.

46. Southendzone says:

Some things you don’t agree with but can at least see how the other point of view has merit. People that like chunky peanut butter, or the Beatles for example.

Then there are things that are purely unexplainable and no logical sense can be made of them. Like an NFL team willingly signing Tavaris Jackson to play QB.

I’m waiting for the Oliver Stone conspiracy movie to come out so we can fully understand what happened here.

47. jarred767 says:

Just thought I’d continue th speculation –
    More rumors on Palmer ro Seattle because of he reports to Bengal camp he may force their hand – he doesn’t know their offense, they’ve drafted Dalton, and would owe him a ton of money to just sit on the bench, something they could avoid only by trading him…..

48. jboard 1,

Try chanfeed.com

49. jboard1 says:

Thanks osbrey!…i’ll give that a shot tonight

50. So when Tarvaris wasn’t running for his life in Minnesota he must have been good? Get a clue!

51. Thanks jboard1 and osbrey! I have the exact same issue–for three more weeks!!!