Morning links: Whitehurst focused, comfortable at QB

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:35 am with 24 Comments »
August 24, 2011 8:35 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Charlie Whitehurst runs up the middle for a four-yard gain agains the San Diego Chargers during the first half of their preseason NFL football game at Qualcomm Stadium Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

In my story today, we take a closer look at Charlie Whitehurst’s play s far during the exhibition season, and how he has used Tarvaris Jackson getting the starting job as fuel for his best performance during the preseason as a pro.

Prior to this season, Whitehurst had completed 52.2 percent of his career exhibition passes, with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
But this year has been different. Whitehurst led Seattle on three scoring drives in a game’s worth of work in two exhibition games. He’s 28-for-39 passing for 212 yards and a touchdown, and he’s completed 71.8 percent of his passes for a respectable 93.1 passer rating.

“I think I’m a better player than I was last year,” Whitehurst said. “I feel more comfortable now. I feel like I’m seeing the field and what the defense is trying to do, and making good, quick decisions.”

Former Seahawk Dave Wyman linebacker writing for ESPN 710 Seattle offers three things that he believes have been overblown so far during exhibition play for Seattle – lack of leadership, size and youth.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com provides more details from Tuesday’s practice, including a long touchdown catch by rookie Kris Durham on Kelly Jennings.

More Farnsworth: A profile on new Seahawks linebacker David Vobora.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes about two long shot to make the team that now look like they will be on the final roster – cornerback Brandon Browner and safety Josh Pinkard.

Allen Cameron of the Calgary Herald talks to some of Browner’s former CFL teammates at Calgary about him making the jump to the NFL.

Seahawks defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson talks with KJR’s Ian Furness in this audio link.

Scouts Inc has compiled its NFL rankings of the top 200 players. Defensive end Chris Clemons is Seattle’s highest rated player at No. 99. Sidney Rice comes in at No. 104, Russell Okung is No. 145, Zach Miller is No. 159 and cornerback Marcus Trufant is No. 199. Tom Brady is the top rated player, followed by Peyton Manning, Darrelle Revis, Adrian Peterson and Aaron Rodgers. Former Seahawk Lofa Tatupu is No. 140. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

And here’s your random video of the day – Captain Compete shows up at USC’s football practice two years ago. I wonder if he’ll be making an appearance at the VMAC?

Morning links

Clemons is “ranked’ ahead of Rice? That right there renders their ratings worthless (not that any of those type of ranking mean anything, regardless).

2. chuck_easton says:

Side Note (mainly for BobbyK)

Bryant McKinnie has been signed by the Ravens to play LT thus moving Oher back to RT. Word in Baltimore is Oher isn’t cutting it as an NFL LT and is better suited to RT.

Only relevant because BobbyK was/is on the ‘we should have drafted Oher in 2009′ one man bandwagon.

Now back to Seattle related news.

3. Good to hear more highlight reel plays against Jennings–this time by a rookie trying to make the team.

If they don’t start Thurmond (or someone else) on Saturday, I think I’m going to snap into my own ‘Nam.

It will be very interesting to watch Wright start at the Mike.

4. “Oher isn’t cutting it as an NFL LT and is better suited to RT”

Hmmm, wonder what they’re going to call the sequel to his movie? “The Right Side” just doesn’t have the same ring.

5. BobbyK and I never finalized the bet we had on Oher making the Pro Bowl as a LT. 3-4 years to wait for a bet is too much for an impatient person as myself. But I am still convinced RT is the place where he will spend his career.

So we have a QB controversy with the fans choice a QB that has a measly 5.4 ypa average during preseason against backups? YPA is one of my more important stats for evaluating a QB and 5.4 is Jimmy Clausen like. This could be a very rough season.

I need to see Browner cover some number 1 WRs. If he really has 4.6 speed, this won’t cut it and he will be a massive liability as a starting CB. I can’t think of many successful starting CBs with 4.6 speed although I am sure someone will throw a name out. Bigger and stronger players aren’t better unless they have NFL caliber speed and I don’t think Browner does.

6. 4.6 may be plenty for a guy with a 10-foot wingspan.

7. ballgame says:

Nnamdi Asomugha ran a 4.5 coming out of College, so I would think it is safe to assume now at 30 years old he probably runs somewhere in the 4.6 range or higher and he is pretty good.

8. I thought Nnamdi ran a 4.45 at the combine. Seems like a small difference, but it isn’t.

Eric told me on a chat that Browner’s time was a 4.6, but I just looked it up and it was a 4.69. That is really slow. Carroll seems to like bigger, slower players and faster NFL QBs. I don’t think that makes sense and I hope it doesn’t make for a painful season.

9. ballgame says:

4.69 is really slow, for a CB in the NFL. I ran a 4.67 in college has a safety and that seemed slow at time when I had to cover the slot, so can’t imagine that a guy running at 4.69 could run with a WR in the NFL on the outside unless they do a great job of getting into the WR’s route. Of course I didn’t have a 10 foot wingspan either which I sure make up for a 10th of a second.

10. Interesting comment from the Calgary article:

“You know what? I don’t think it’s a difficult jump (from the CFL to the NFL),” said Stamps defensive back Keon Raymond. “Being a defensive back and moving from this league to that one, it’s probably one of the easier things to do. You’re covering guys in motion (in the CFL) and giving them a yard (at the line of scrimmage). Now, there’s no yard and no motion (in the NFL), and a big, physical guy like B.B., he gets to play football now.”

One of the easier things to do? Definitely not. But Browner obviously has skills that the average CFL CB does not.

Speed is important for a CB, but so is reacting to the receiver’s moves. Browner may not be a No. 1 CB for Seattle, but he’s surely good enough to be No. 3.

11. I think the number 3 or 4 CB position makes a lot of sense for Browner.

Maxwell ran a 4.46 at 6’0″ 202 and Sherman 4.56 at 6’3″ 195. Hardly slow. You need that size and strength to play man-press. You’re going to have to sacrifice either some size or some speed and make up for it with scheme. It’s not as though Patrick Peterson’s grow on trees.

13. Browner ran a 4.63 at the combine, according to this report. His fastest 40 time is 4.54. Perhaps he got a little faster in the CFL. He was only 20 at the combine.

14. From the site that pabuwal cited:

ANALYSIS: A defensive back with outstanding size and strength, Browner is perfectly suited to play press coverage at the next level and also has possibilities at safety. Possesses a lot of upside potential and has the skills to be a shut-down cornerback in the NFL, but far from the finished product — needs time to develop his overall game and will only be effective in certain systems.

He was projected as a third-rounder, but somehow went undrafted? Anyone know why?

15. I am going to guess it was his 40 time. The 40 time has a lot of impact on draft position.

16. Perhaps this is the answer to my question:

NFL | Browner Falling

Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:55:13 -0800

Inside The League reports CB Brandon Browner had a disappointing showing at the NFL Combine, which could result in him falling on draft day. He was clocked at 4.73 and 4.68 in the 40-yard dash and it is believed his off-putting attitude during interviews also hurt his cause.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/11335/nfl/news#ixzz1VyGL0y72

17. Yes, you are probably right, pabuwal.

18. chuck_easton says:

All I know is Browner was CFL all pro 3 years straight here in Calgary and he was a shutdown Corner in a pass happy league.

When the Calgary article talks of motion I can explain it to people south of the borde like this:

Field is 110 yrds long
    Endzones are 22 yrds long
    Field is much wider
    Defense has to line 1 full yard off of the ball prior to snap
    Offense can ALL be in motion in any direction except the linemen. (Prior to snap you have the WR’s running at a full sprint towards th line of scrimmage)

And with all of that Browner was successful up here.

19. 40 time is a lot different with pads on, getting bumped, and actually being in the game. I don’t remeber anyone playin’ football in compression shorts on Sundays, have you?

20. Soggybuc says:

This obsession with the combine gets more ridiculous every year. how many times have we seen these work out warriors with fantastic combine numbers become absolute duds come game time. one only has to look as far as Oakland to see why drafting on 40 times is a bad idea.

21. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Oakland? Just take a look at our own roster. Aaron Curry was the fastest timed linebacker of his draft class in the 40 yard dash and look where that’s gotten us.

22. chuck – you’re saying you wouldn’t want a good RT in the 1st round? Oher was clearly a good RT in his rookie year and will be/is a good NFL player, even if he’s not ideally suited for the “blind side,” which Baltimore doesn’t seem to think. I thought he was and he may well be, but you can’t tell me he’s a bust as a football player, because he’s not. He’s also clearly better than most players drafted in front of him.

23. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

Not making any references at all. Just saying is the 4th slot in the draft the place to take a tackle that can’t potentially be a LT?

Now if we had the 23rd spot in the draft in 2009 a RT might very well be a GREAT place to take a solid RT. Oh wait, we did that this year. Only thing is his name is Carpenter and not Oher.