Morning links: O-line stuck in neutral

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:45 am with 38 Comments »
August 23, 2011 8:45 am
Seattle Seahawks guard Robert Gallery, second from right, looks on from the bench during their preseason NFL football game against the San Diego Chargers, Friday, Aug. 12, 2011, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Bucky Brooks of NFL..com offers some thoughts on Seattle’s struggles offensively in the first two preseason game, blaming the offensive line and not quarterback Tarvaris Jackson for that unit’s struggles.

Brooks:

“Seattle’s first-team offense struggled moving the ball for the second week in a row, largely because of the ineptitude of its frontline. Yes, the Seahawks are without left tackle Russell Okung, but the failure to create a push at the point of attack is a significant problem. The Seahawks’ top runners — Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett — amassed only 10 yards on 10 attempts. The running game was so bad that it failed to score on four consecutive runs from inside the 2-yard line against the Vikings’ second-team defense.

“The offensive line’s inability work in concert in pass protection remains a problem as well. The unit has been overwhelmed physically and tactically by opponents, and its inability to protect Tarvaris Jackson in the pocket has resulted in little production in the passing game. While Jackson can shoulder some of blame for a few errant tosses, he has been harassed and forced to flee the pocket, which has killed any and all rhythm.”

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated offers a similar assessment.

My story today offers a fuller report on Aaron Curry restructuring his contract and some notes on Red Bryant’s return to action against Minnesota.

I went on the radio in Vancouver, BC on Sports Radio 1040 AM to talk Seahawks with Scotty and Ray, which you can check out in this audio link.

Former Seahawks head coach Jim Mora joins KJR’s Mitch Levy and Hugh Millen to discuss his former team’s performance over the weekend in this audio link.

ESPN’s Mike Sando reports that according to an ESPN SportsNation poll, 2/3 of the 4,440 people who responded prefer Charlie Whitehurst over Tarvaris Jackson to start as Seattle’s quarterback.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com offers some notes from Saturday’s game, including strong performances from the young defensive backs.

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times says to pump the brakes on making any strong conclusions from preseason play.

Morning links
  1. You really can’t expect the O-line to perform from day 1, especially not with coaching changes, both O-line as well as Offensive Coordinator, more or less 4 new guys on the line, and a very very short timeframe to make it click because of the lockout. The one thing that impressed me, was the defensive backs, they’ve played quite well, especially under the circumstances, Kam Chancellor is looking like a star in the making, been really impressed and surprised with his performance.

2. TJ must be dumb as a box of rocks or lazy as hell, or both….

How else can you explain a player with that kind of talent reaching the NFL without even mastering the fundamentals taught in Pop Warner?!

On top of that, he’s apparently been emotionally traumatized by the mean coaches in MN. What is he one of Vick’s pitbulls we adopted from the fu&^** dog pound? Sac up or get outta town, dumbass.

Whitehurst’s play got us into the playoffs last year…he’s been sharp as hell this year…give him a chance to sink or swim with the first time.

I thought Carroll’s philosophy was to force all players to have to look over the shoulders…Why is TJ an exception.

I think we’re going to look back and see that BobbyK was 100% right about TJ.

3. Brooks is describing exactly what I saw from the endzone last saturday night. This group has a long long way to go. If ever a team was ripe for beating on opening day at home, its the 49ers this year, but I’m concerned our young O linemen won’t yet be ready to get the job done. Last Saturday, they looked like rookies in a May OTA.

4. I think JacDG made perfect sense here. That is something to consider, just hope it doesn’t take them too long…

Regarding the secondary, that has been a pleasure to watch. Here something to think about with Kam, we all know ET’s potential, but Kam has actually been the one grabbing headlines the most. If that potential comes through, watch out!

P.S. PLEASE get rid of Jennings before I have an aneurism!!!

5. ejkimber says:

The Giants need CBs, maybe the will take him off our hands

6. Carlsonkid says:

It’s going to be a long season folks . The O-line is just atrocious . Hard to say what T-Jack would be like behind a decent line and a running game , but his throws don’t seem to have a whole lot of zip on the ball ; Charlie is much more decisive .

Curry , what an idiot … if only we could put Lofa’s brain in Curry’s body . Total waste of a number 4 overall draft pick ; you could’a picked a guy in the 4th round that plays better than him .

Add that one to Spencer , Lawrence Jackson and Kelly Jennings ( all 1st rounders ) and now you know why we currently suck as bad as we do . This franchise is cursed when it comes to 1st round picks . Lets hope Carpenter doesn’t follow suit .

7. chuck_easton says:

rgbuckl,

Jennings is going to be on the team. Go see your Dr. for that high blood pressure as a preventative measure! :)

I think Jennigs will be just fine once he isn’t the starter and moves inside as the Nickel/Dime CB. Thurmond was supposed to be the starter but for some reason he hasn’t practiced all camp (I know foot, but come on…you’ve been handed the starting job).

Jennings as the 4th or 5th back will be a good veteran presence behind Trufant, Thurmond, Browner, and Sherman.

8. ejkimber says:

I may be in the minority, but does anyone really care about what Jim Mora thinks of this team

9. Who’s Jim Mora?

10. I can’t believe I am about to say this as it drove me crazy hearing it over and over last year. BUT I am also a stand up enough guy to admit when someone is correct…..I humbly concede that AaronCurryIsABust has been right all along….Aaron Curry cannot leave this town fast enough….I truly believe he got his money and just does not care…what a complete loser. Can’t stand him at all now…had high hopes but he has shown what a dummy he really is….and he is the only player I heard of this year during the lockout who tweeted and said numerous times he enjoyed the lockout and didn’t mind being away from football…that to me proves he just wanted the money and didn’t want to put in the effort. I mean how in the hell did we not end up with Clay Matthews? It makes me want to break something….and what kind of retard throws an opponents helmet in a preseason game? geeez…get rid of that loser. ACIB, I will not doubt you ever again…..hahaha :)

11. Trade Carlson and Curry to the Bengals for RT andre Smith and QB Palmer.

12. ballgame says:

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a new QB coming in this year. I think they saw the QB’s in this year’s draft and then looked at the guys coming out next year and like them much more, I would too…I think the top 3 guys next year are better talents/QB’s then any of the ones in this year’s class and decided that they would get a stop-gap this year and then get their man next year. At least thats what I would have done.

This will be a big week for T-Jax, thanks to NFL network I have watched a lot of football and have happened to see both Denver games and pass protection shouldn’t be an issue this week, so we will actually get to see what jackson looks like with a normal amount of time to throw.

13. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

It really seems like the labor dispute hurt us (Seahawks) more than any other team. Missing out on OTA’s and a full training camp really disrupted the development of our O-line. I believe they’ll, under Cable’s leadership, eventually get it together; however, were going to lose some games badly before that happens. I’m almost in fear of the week 2 Pittsburgh game.

Russel Okung is by far my favorite O-linesman, and I’m not giving up on him. However, Polumbus is not a quality back up. I hope the front office is preparing for the worse, i.e., another injury plagued season for Okung, and looking at a quality back up. Again, I hope one won’t be needed but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

I think that by the bye week our O-line will have some cohesion and start to gel. If we can go 3-2, or at least 2-3, into the bye-week maybe we can make a run at winning our division again and getting more playoff experience. At this point, all I hope is that our season isn’t so bad that our two prime-time games get cancelled, and the league decides to make us wait another year, or two, before we play on prime time again.

14. chuck_easton says:

osbry,

While I like your thinking outside the box, that trade ain’t gonna happen because Cincinatti doesn’t want to trade Palmer. It takes two teams to do a trade and the other side has shown they aren’t willing to hear any offers for Palmer.

Better yet, let’s trade Curry and Carlson to NE for Brady and Mankins! See how easy it is to just decide what we as fans may want? I guarantee my scenario has as much chance of happening as yours.

15. hawkforever21 says:

Has it been at all suggested that the TJ signing……and the subsequent naming him as starter may have had something to do with getting Rice to sign with them….given that they’re apparently best friends? Just a thought.
    I know they gave Rice a ton of money too!

16. ballgame says:

seperate note/question….now that training camp is done, are the practice reports done also or have they just not practiced the last 2 days?

17. I bet chuck secretly has a Kelly Jennings jersey.

18. chuck_easton says:

Nope. Just what I do. You don’t re-sign a guy to a one year 1.8million contract to cut him. He shouldn’t start, but he’s here for the year.

19. freedom_X says:

And, Kelly Jennings isn’t as bad as the people here think. He’s not great, probably not even good, but he’s no worse than any of the other corners who played here last year. Curry and Jennings have just become people’s irrational whipping boys. Especially Jennings, since pass plays given up are often not the fault of the CB, but missed coverages.

I would much rather have Curry than Andre Smith. Smith is a bigger bust than Curry – Smith is out of shape, lazy, and can’t even hold a starting job. It really is an example of the grass is greener on the other side. You look at that draft, it looks like there were a lot of busts.

It’s interesting that Curry is vilified here – the guy works hard and doesn’t have off field problems. He may be a big bust, but I don’t see anything about him that merits hating the guy personally.

20. Where would Andre Smith play? Is he going to play RT and move Carpenter to the bench? Will he play RG and move Moffitt to the bench? Is he going to move Cable’s boy, Gallery, to the bench? I don’t think Cable would do that. He’s too slow for LT and there’s no way that position is open if Okung is healthy anyways.

For the record, chuck, I agree with you that there not going to cut him, I’m just poking a joke at you. Kind of like I have a secret mancrush on Curry or something. lol

21. “He may be a big bust, but I don’t see anything about him that merits hating the guy personally.”

I agree, freedom_X. Well-said. He’s not the first Seahawks first-rounder to not play up to expectations. In fact, most of them fail to do so. But I don’t recall that much hate being piled upon Lamar King, Lawrence Jackson and others.

22. chuck_easton says:

Yes florio over at PTF has never passed up an opportunity to take a shot at PC. When Lofa refused to take a pay cut Florio had a post titled “another player wants out of Seattle” and went on to opine that Carrol had lost the locker room and nobody wants to play for him.

Florio has a major dislike of PC so any article that paints the Seahawks in a bad light gets posted and anything good about Seattle gets ignored there.

23. Personally, some of his stupid tweets have bothered me. Some of them make it seem like he’s selfish and not a team player. I don’t care for that. It’s easy not to like a player when that’s the perception.

24. Agreed. PFT does not like him.

25. bird_spit says:

Of all of the 1st rnd “busts” seahawks have, I would have resigned spencer. Centers take a while to develop, and spencer has been given that time and performed ok. Right now, he would have provided some vet presence on the rookie line. I wonder how much of the trouble we fans are seeing is the result of bad rookie mistake center play.

26. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

He takes plays off in games, whines about his role even though the coaches do everything to put him in a position to succeed, talks a lot of smack to opposing players even though he never backs it up. He’s an embarrassment to the franchise.

… and, counter-point.

28. On a separate note, did I read in an Art Thiel article that Carroll told Charlie to stop overdramatizing when he took that hit on Saturday? Or was that an Art Thiel joke? It would be interesting if Pete did say that. Kind of old school. I like Charlie, (and think he “deserves” a lot of credit, if not to start) but he does need to watch how he winces. I know football hurts, but part of the QB’s job is to bounce up and grin, something Matt was a master of. Hawks watchers, keep your eyes on this.

29. Soggybuc says:

Spencer has already lost the starting job in Chicago so going with the growing pains of Unger is probably best.

I think they will be better by week one but it will week 7 (post bye) before the line is ready to play well

30. ACIAB, your whole schtick with Curry being a bust is sorta lame. To be honest it’s to the point that I think you do it for attention.

31. All starting linebackers have minor knee injuries and did not practice.

Thurmond returned to practice.

32. Good news about Thurmond.

33. SeahawkFan12 says:

Thanks guys for a great thread. I’ve been reading this tonight with an IPA and a hearty laugh! You guys rock. The Curry and Jennings conversations are entertaining. Throw in a little T-Jack and some strong beer and guy can really unwind after a long day! Thanks!

34. Soggybuc says:

IPA? what brand? Widmer broken halo was my fav for a while and then i got sucked into Scuttlebutt Gale force but cant get it here in Cali. IPA’s are by far my most loved beer style. hops,hops and more hops!

35. JoeinKirkland says:

Jennings has really good coverage skills (he is frequently in position to make the play) but really bad ball skills (even though he is in position, he doesn’t make the play).

Would it kill the guy to look back for the ball when the receiver’s eyes light up? Good corners know when the receiver is tracking the ball in and then turn themselves and pick up the ball.

If he hasn’t learned to do it yet, he won’t. He’d be much better to have as a nickel back playing on a slot receiver where just being in position might prevent a QB from passing to his man.

I’d rather see them going with a younger guy in what is probably only going to be a mediocre season anyway.

36. The OL’s pass-pro and run-blkg both need work. On the other side of the football though, I’m kinda getting giddy about SEA’s DL. From right to left it was Bryant (with Red in, MIN’s rush avg was 2.8 yds/carry, with him out MIN avged 6.7), Brandon Mebane back at NT (hooray!), Branch at 3-tech (per Farrar ’3-technique DT at 130% size’ with quickness and size to be very disruptive), and Brock at RDE (who’s picking up where he left off last season).

SEA’s got their own ‘Killer-B’s’.

37. SeahawkFan12 says:

Soggy, I was drinking a Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid. Smooth as glass with tons of hops!