Morning links: Rice says Vikings showed little interest

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:09 am with 22 Comments »
August 18, 2011 8:09 am

Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press talks with Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice about his departure from Minnesota from free agency. Rice says the Vikings never showed as much interest as Seattle. Rice: “If you hear from them throughout the rest of the season telling you they are going to be in touch, are going to negotiate and it never happens, you’ve got to wonder – do they really want me there or not? I just didn’t feel it….It came down to Seattle showing me they wanted me to be a part of the program.”

My story today offers more on quarterback Tarvaris Jackson playing in the first half against his former team.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that the Seahawks are projected to have the youngest team in the league on offense.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com offers from notes from practice, including kicker Jeff Reed drilling a 53-yarder.

More Farnsworth: He offers more on linebacker Leroy Hill trying to rebuild his career.

Tom Pelissero of ESPN 1500 in the Twin Cities reports that receiver Percy Harvin will likely miss Saturday’s game against Seattle with sore ribs.

Christian Caple of Seattlepi.com profiles running back Leon Washington, who looks even faster than last season.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times reviews the safety position for Seattle.

Morning links
  1. the link to the pioneer press does not work.

2. Anyone else having issues opening the Sydney article?

3. Yeah, won’t load for me.

4. I got a chance to watch the last practice.

My first practice was also Tavaris Jacksons first with the team. One thing I’ve focused on was his progression as he became more comfortable. I wish there was more (progress) but what has held true is this:
    TJack – Excellent deep ball that hits receivers in stride. Not many QBs in the NFL can throw a deep ball like Tavaris I completely believe that. Throws well on the move but at times arms it when unnecessary (this will be his bane and our beef with him as fans as this will be his main source of turnovers). Tarvaris can throw ropes accurately up to 20-25 yards up the middle which work well with TE’s running post or up the seam BUT…. With Tavaris’ height it takes quite a bit of lateral movement for him to throw from being shallow in the pocket. This will eliminate quick slants and short hooks. He still has the option of throwing short and intermediate routes on the outside but his accuracy is very inconsistant with these throws. I have no doubt that he knows this offense but his ability to read presnap alignment and post snap coverage is hard to assess in practice. I guess we’ll find out on Saturday.

Charlie is the quarterback that fits your typical west coast system. He can fire accurate ropes about 20 yards up the middle but at 6’5 he has better ability at firing shallow up the middle. His intermediate and short throws to the outside are accurate and consistant. He has stopped sailing balls high which was a chronic problem eairlier but sometimes places them just a hair behind when throwing to the outside recievers back shoulder. His footwork get a bit sloppy when pressured.

The offense (Bevell) – practices to Tavaris strengths. Spread the defense laterally with halfback flares, flats, and screens. Spread the defense vertically with TE seams, posts, flags. Pound it up the middle with running. Hurt them occasionally deep with our Wide receivers.

Take a look at Feely’s 53 harder with a bitter sweet taste. Great kick….
    However the fieldgoal was lined up because our first team offense failed to move the ball any further against our SECOND team defense.

5. That link doesn’t seem to work either

6. HawksKD
    Love the report/slant. Wish there were more practices you could go to. Maybe Mr Williamscan get you on the TNT staff so you could go to practices where the press is allowed?

7. RhewChuryll says:

Real sweet breakdown between the two QB HawksKD, all the input you have put on here as a fan perspective has really helped fans like me get a visual picture on how the team is shaping up. So thanks!!

8. RhewChuryll says:

for the link to the Sydney RIce article go to this link, then click on the article itself…. http://www.twincities.com/vikings maybe that’ll help.

9. beavercleaver says:

@E. Williams, a little off topic, but yesterday in the chat wrap you listed the receivers you thought would be kept and Deon Butler was not among them. I know he is currently gimpy so is it your opinion he will be IR’ed, PUP’ed or waived?

10. Thanks RhewChuryll

11. Thanks for the report, HawksKD. Much appreciated. Looks like Charlie would be the starter if PC hadn’t annointed TJ. I hope one of these guys turns into a solid QB. I don’t want the Seahawks to draft a QB next year, because then we’ll have to wait until at least 2013 for the Lombardi! I’d rather they do it with a Dilfer-like QB, like the Ravens did (not that I think the Seahawks D will be anywhere close to Ray Lewis and Co.).

12. Beavercleaver: I think Butler will begin the season on the PUP list.

Thanks HawksKD!

I don’t know that Jackson’s height eliminsates those quick, 3 yard slants. But, it puts the line under pressure to open up lanes that they otherwise wouldn’t need to with a taller QB in there. Of course, CW can see over the line but his release is kind of funky and he rarely hits receivers in stride on short routes anyway… 6 to one. Half dozen to another. lol

14. Soggybuc says:

Deon and Leon had the same injury but Leon had his early in 09 so was closer to a year when camp started and as good as he looked we now know he was 85-90% at best. Deon will not reach that same timeline until around week 10 or 11 so i’d guess he is going to get IR’d when the time comes.
    Leon also had the benefit of working with the jets training staff for rehab and Deon got shafted in the lock out on that front.

15. Duke very true with Charlie on hitting the receiver in stride. It never was a strength of his.

On those riding the hype train with Portis this is what I noticed.

Before the first preseason game Portis was methodical. I cited his throwing mechanics as very consistant which is great as a camp QB. He goes through progressions and actually has shown the ability to read and anticipate coverage which is absolutely amazing for someone of his experience and background (DII all star)…he played safe through the practices and stretched vertical game when the opportunity arose.

Post game – practice. Portis began to take more than twice as many chances down field. Portis began to force balls through coverage, and started inexplicably sailing balls up the middle. I think the game did loads for his confidence. If he is a true project to this franchise someone needs to bring him down to earth and get him to focus on improving his game SLOWLY. Portis is raw and athletic but seems to have a cerebral knack for the game that is not learned nor trained.In all honesty if molded properly I believe Portis has a bright future as a QB and I am not quick to put blind hope in any player. ESPECIALLY one as immature as Portis. He is the best project QB that we have brought in that I have seen in the past 12 years, I promise you that. I just don’t believe we have the personell in the coaching staff to MOLD him into what we need him to be. As prolific as the Holmgren Era was for everything offensive. This coaching staff will flip the boat. Their strength lies in defense

Really interesting. And the fact you’ve been to so many practices to have a decent sample size, I value that take. Good stuff. man.

17. The Rice comments seem pretty similar to the Hutch situation (former team not showing him the love and saying they’d get a deal done but never doing it).

KD – Your reports are much appreciated and an added bonus. Thank you.

18. A Dilfter-like QB doesn’t work in most cases. The only reason it worked for the Ravens was: A. they had a great defense, that: B. Never had to face a Pro Bowl caliber QB. That’s not the norm and something we should try to duplicate. I want to sell out for a legit franchise QB and sure as hell don’t ever want to be faced with another season with sh!t salad at the position (and I wanted chicken salad, but we didn’t have any chicken).

19. Soggybuc says:

well Bobby the Ravens did face McNair (3 times), Kerry Collins and Rich Gannon that year. all were pro bowl caliber QB’s at the time. the Bucs got it done with Brad Johnson at the helm so it can be done but you have to have a monster D. i’d bet the Steeler’s could still have a chance with Charlie Batch at the helm( 3-1 last year when worthless was out).

Cool trivia about the 2000 Ravens. Billick had Marvin Lewis, Jack Delrio, Rex Ryan and Mike Smith on his staff. talk about an all star staff.

20. Soggybuc says:

My bad Dixon won 2 of those games and Batch only one.

21. McNair, yes. Good point. I forgot about him. They hurt Gannon early, but that isn’t to be counted against them, as they were the ones doing the hurting. I never thought much of Collins though.