Lynch still has freedom in run game

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm with 36 Comments »
August 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch talked to reporters for the first time during training camp today.

Picked up during Week 4 of last season, the Oakland native said he was pleased to be in Seattle for the start of training camp.

“That first meeting is where they lay down the foundation of what you’re going to be looking for, for the rest of the season. So coming in this year and actually being able to be part of that first meeting, where they did lay down the foundation, I got a better sense of where they’re coming from.”

Lynch said he likes what he sees so far from the new and improved Seattle offensive line, but it will take some time to get a feel for how the block and move in front of him.

“They’re big,” he said. “But going against our guys, you really can’t get the look you’re going to see in the game. So it’s something that I’m waiting to see how that forms up as we gel together. But as of right now I like what I see.”

Lynch was asked if fellow running back Justin Forsett asked him to be in his recent music video, which brought a smile to his face.

“Naw,” he said, laughing.

All runners are instinctual, but Lynch is probably more than most. And sometimes the rigid nature of the zone blocking scheme can take away a running back’s ability to use his vision and feel for what is happening in front of him. But Lynch said he doesn’t feel like that will happen in Tom Cable’s system.

“The one thing in any running system, you have your landmark, and you have your aiming points,” he said. “But I mean once the ball is in your hands, that’s kind of what they bring you here for. That’s kind of what they draft you for, and that’s kind of why they put the ball in your hands, because it’s what you do when you get the ball in your hands.

“A coach can only coach you so far. At some point in time, your ability has to take over. And with the run scheme that we have now, I think that that will be something that is going to work out best for the running backs that we have.

Lynch is known for his hard running style, but he’s appeared more quick and fluid in and out of his cuts so far in training camp. So our defenses sleeping on his ability to make people miss?

“No, I don’t think they sleep on that at all,” Lynch said.

Lynch was asked about Seattle’s struggles running the ball last season, and the goal to be a more consistent running team this year. Lynch said last year’s performance running the ball is in the past.

“You always want to be consistent, but the nature of our game is you’re not going to get the look you want every play,” he said. “You’re not going to have the run game that you want, every game. You’re not going to have the passing game you want every game.

“That’s why it’s a team thing. When the run’s not working, you throw the ball. When you can’t throw the ball, you run the ball. And if not, you pull out some tricks and get yourself going somehow. So that’s just the nature of the game.”

And of course, Lynch was asked about the run against New Orleans last year, and had this to say.

“I’ve watched it several times,” he said. “People might email it to me. I might look over at somebody’s phone if somebody recognizes me, and they’re looking at it to make sure that’s really me. And so I’ve seen it quite a few times.

And on his unique celebration afterward, Lynch had this to say.

“I don’t celebrate,” he said. “I just give the ball to the ref and go about my business.”

Some tidbits

* The Seahawks had a walkthrough practice this morning for about 1 hour, 45 minutes.

Offensive tackle Russell Okung got some work in as part of the first unit in the early portions of practice, so he appears to be coming along.

WR Mike Williams (toe), DE Red Bryant (knee), WR Kris Durham (hamstring) and WR Doug Baldwin (knee) also participated during portions of the practice.

* Walter Thurmond (ankle) did not participate in practice this morning, but he dome some rehab work on the field after practice concluded.

* Tight end John Carlson (unspecified) did not practice for a second straight day.

* The players will get tomorrow off, and practice on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.

Notes from practice
  1. ryanryan says:

‘unique celebration’…that made me laugh Eric.

So Maybin got released today (so I’ve heard), do you think we will go and get him Eric?

2. Apparently Daunte Culpepper is gonna get signed by the 9ers.

I can’t wait to see Lynch rattle of about 1200 this year. Come mid October and November, they ought to be just starting to hit their stride up front. Can’t wait!

4. microbeer says:

I’m wondering if Carlson’s inactivity has anything to do with dealing him to the Giants for Osi.

5. devisscher says:

I wonder what Jamarcus Russell is doing these days

6. devisscher says:

Just kidding, I want to see Whitehurst get his chance or Troy Smith

7. Peyton Hillis 270 car 1177 tot yrds 48 long 11 td

Holmgren has it going on. Bright young QB, McCoy. WR Cribbs and Robiskie

And that defense looks ready to step up.

Seahawk flip of the coin –disastrous 2-14 season. Reason – Luck pick

Nice job Paul Allen

8. @excile – – Browns have won 9 games total in the past two years; and the two WR’s you mention combined for less catches and yards that Mike Williams alone. What does he have going on?

9. Bmw was playin with departed Hass. Rice totals 5 rec in a good game with Junk. Season tot would b 80.

Carry ON!

80 receptions? I’d happily take that. In ’09, Rice had 83 catches, 1300 yards and 8 TDs. Carry on indeed.

11. LeePridemore says:

I called in sick last week and went to the Seahawks Bing Training Camp at the VMAC. During position drills I was eating an ice cream sandwich and watching Tom Cable yellin’ jumpin’ around sweatin’ and teachin…

At the far southwest corner of the facility, a hundred and fifty yards and two hundred million light years away, Marshawn Lynch was standing there surrounded by Sherman Smith and David Sims, Chris Warren, Curt Warner, Ricky Waters, Dan Dornick and they’re all talking at the same time and wiping sweat away with white towels, everyone except Lynch. He standing there real still, looking straight ahead not saying anything. Steve Broussard and Shaun Alexander with Mack Strong, Ahman Green appear from within this mob of blue and everyone is laughing, except Lynch. He stand there so cold it looks like ice is freezing on him. Then Lynch took two steps forward into the drill, sets and explodes. I flinched and when I opened my eyes it was just Lynch standing there with a football, moving it from one hand to the other. Cold. Real cold.

12. duke pfft
    who was the QB that year, 09

Rice and Junk have seen starting years together. Recant those DUKE it you wish

13. LeePridemore – LOL! That’s brilliant, dude. We needed the comic relief!

14. raymaines says:

When I was kid I loved the 49ers. I loved every player that ever dressed in Red and Gold, starting with Y.A. Tittle and working my way through Frankie Albert, and John Brodie to Joe Montana and Steve young.

Now I love the ‘Hawks even more but I still wish S.F. would finish second in the division and get a wild card slot every year. If they finished the regular season at 14-2 behind the undefeated SeaHawks I’d be a happy guy.

I have absolutely no love at all for St. Louis or Arizona, but the current situation in S.F. just breaks my heart.

Having said that: The situation that is Alex Smith just delights me. Screw those guys.

15. Soggybuc says:

Raymaines, i’ll admit that rooting for the 9’ers of the 80’s and 90’s was a guilty little secret of mine as well. they were a very likeable group. i only became a hater after re-alignment.

I’m weird because i’m not just a Hawks fan but a I am a fan of football first and i can concoct a reason to root for any of the 31 NFL teams for any given Sunday.

And yes my math is correct because it all starts with being the biggest fan of whatever team is playing Cowboys!

16. seahawk44 says:

LeePridemore…….was Derrick Fenner in that southwest corner also?
    Awesome post. Beastmode Ice.

17. LeePridemore says:

Hey Mr. Stevos, Don’t laugh out loud me. I’ve got a bad case of football related hemophiladelphia and it ain’t funny. My ice cream sandwich melted, man.

18. Why do we have to hate on Holmgren? If we’re looking at 3 year records, then the Lions must be in terrible shape looking toward the future with all of their terrible non-Pro Bowl caliber youngsters?

“All runners are instinctual, but Lynch is probably more than most.” I really like Lynch as a RB… but my take on him is the opposite. I don’t think his vision is particularly great.

19. If we’re coming out of the closet with secret fantasies, even though he was a division rival, I really liked/loved John Elway. Best QB these eyes have seen in my life. If you’re a closet Raiders fan, that’s a different story.

20. LeePridemore says:

There was a number forty-four out there. Tall guy. Mean lookin’, too.

LeePridemore – That’s the best post I’ve read here since I don’t know when. Awesome!

excile – At most, they have 7 starts together. Regardless, we’re talking about receptions here. What he does after he catches it is up to him, not the QB. You give him 80 catches for ’11? I like it. I’ve seen what he can do when he gets the ball that often. (Of course, I all for getting it to him more, don’t get me wrong.)

22. LeePridemore says:

Hey Dukefryer,
    You wanna hear about how one of the SeaGals whispered in to my ear “maybe you should chew a breath mint.” I said “Do I need one?” and she “yeah.” She was very nice.

23. The other 3 years he totaled 800 and the 1300 was all Favre. I’m sorry BK but with junk he is just NOT a hero. 50 yard a game at best with jUNK.

Move along. You’ll see the rice numbers increase

excile – No one’s defending Jackson. I just don’t see how his career average of nearly 15 yard a reception come down to 10 all of a sudden. It makes no sense, with due respect.

LeePridemore – Lol, I do want to hear about that actually. Not sure where you’ve been, but a live wire though.

BTW, anyone watching the Jet / Texan game? McElroy has looked real good tonight. Should have thrown the last ball up, but then again, he threw the game winner earlier that was dropped. He was taken only a couple of spots ahead of Pep… no disrespect to Levingston, but I wonder if Seattle would have been tempted had he been there. Liked him at ‘Bama, at Sr Bowl and combine… Oh well, I love their draft class as it is.

26. SteelBlueLime says:

Is there any buzz on the status of Lofa? I heard early on he had a couple of visits but I haven’t heard if he caught on anywhere.

Duke – I too will be interested in the defensive alignments going onto this week’s game. It sure was fun to see what they did with just a few days of actual practice time with EVERYONE practicing. I also enjoyed – NO turnovers from the offense – I expected some with the short preparation period.

Go Hawks!!

OH – I almost forgot, Hey Bobby you might get a glimpse of ol’ what his name – started with an H……….(was a guard, I think!!!!)

27. bird_spit says:

LeePridemore… Sorry dude but that was funny as hell..

28. Soggybuc says:

Dammit Steeleblue, you never ever mention “he who cannot be named” it’s taken years and Rice to finally get him off the ledge!

29. Ha! Its Robert Gallery and John Moffitt who will finally make everyone forget about old Hutchisnamewas.

30. I still marvel at what a decent soft-spoken guy Marshawn Lynch is. Who expected that when he came here? His reputation was 100% badass. Marshawn has shown himself to be not only a perfect fit at RB, but a great teammate too.

Being originally from Buffalo, I was sooo glad to see Lynch get out of there. Buffalo is a team that kills careers.

And I don’t think Lynch could have landed in a better place that Carroll’s Seahawks. Like he says, this offense will give all our RBs the chance to show what they can do. Its going to take awhile for our O line to learn its way, but once it does, the only question should be which one of our three great RBs gets the ball?

31. Duke – I’m guessing your wrong without doing the math: 8 games 23 rec 372 yards

But honestly didn’t put much thought into your reason

Sidney Rice, Tarvaris Jackson weren’t a dangerous combination in Minnesota

“During their four seasons together, Jackson and Rice both started the same game seven times. Rice’s highest production came in 2007 against the Giants, with three catches for 82 yards and a touchdown. In the other games, Rice had two catches for 10 yards against the Falcons in 2007, four for 66 and a touchdown against the Chargers in 2007, two catches for 18 against the Raiders in 2007, two catches for 31 yards and a touchdown against the Packers in 2008, no catches against the Colts in 2008, and five catches for 60 yards against the Giants in 2010.
    But Seahawks fans can take some solace in the fact that, when Brett Favre was knocked out early in a 2010 game against the Bills, Jackson and Rice connected for five catches, 105 yards, and two touchdowns.”

Luckily the division is made up of teams the caliber of Buffalo.

excile – lol, I suppose.

His average per reception in those games with Jackson was 16.7. And using your number of 5 receptions per game, that would put his season total at 1336. I would take that. Of course, can Jackson get him the ball that often? He wasn’t able to before, despite the impressive per catch average.

33. chuck_easton says:

SteelBlueLime,

To answer your question on Lofa, he had some interest from Washington, Oakland, and Chicago.

All teams wanted to move him to WILL from his natural position of Middle Linebacker. Plus they all were not prepared to offer him the money he still thinks he should get.

So, either he swallows his pride and signs somewhere for ALOT less than Seattle was even offering him to stay here or he can retire. I assume he’ll sign a one year deal at a greatly reduced price sometime once he realizes that is all there is.

As much as I would personally love him to come back here I think that the team has moved on without him.

34. SteelBlueLime says:

Thanks Chuck!

I think Seattle might take a flyer on him if he was to realize his “real” market value and return to the defense he knows the best. Soon roster spots will be shrinking.

35. No way Gallery can get me to forget Hutch. Just b/c I think Gallery is good and I’m glad he’s here, he’s certainly not Hutch. At least we FINALLY have Hutch’s spot manned by a capable player though.