Morning links: The return of Red Bryant

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 8, 2011 at 7:49 am with 20 Comments »
August 8, 2011 7:51 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant. (Joe Barrentine/TNT)

Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Red Bryant believes he can get back to his playing level of 2010, when he served as key part of the team’s stout run defense.

But it will take some time, and he talks about that in my story today. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and the rest of the staff are bring Bryant along slowly after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his right knee against Oakland in Week 7 last year. Bryant underwent surgery in November.

Bryant has not practiced in over a week.

“I feel pretty good,” Bryant said. “I’m just steadily getting my groove. As camp goes, I feel like I’m going to get better and better. Right now I’m having a little trouble with my conditioning. And so that’s to be expected. So once my conditioning gets up, I feel like I’ll be able to be more consistent.”

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports offers a good read this morning, as he profiles Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, asking him what went wrong in Minnesota. Check this article out if you want to know why Seattle went after Jackson in free agency.

Here’s what Carroll had to say about Jackson’s experience in Minnesota, which provides you with a better understanding of why Seattle named anointed him the starter:

“He has not been in a good situation. He’s been jerked around. We wanted to put him in a stable situation.”

Says Schneider more bluntly:

“He’s 28 years old, and quite frankly was [expletive] on for four years.”

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com believes Carroll and Schneider are giving Charlie Whitehurst the same treatment Jackson received in Minnesota.

ESPN’s John Clayton interviews Seahawks general manager John Schneider about the execution of his plan in free agency.

Former Seahawks receiver Dominique Edison, recently released by the team, signs with Dallas.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that overall Seattle’s offense will improve, but he believes they will seek an upgrade at quarterback in 2012.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that Chris Spencer will have to work his way up the depth chart. Currently he’s the No. 2 center behind Roberto Garza, although it’s likely they will slide Garza to right guard and Spencer into the starting lineup.

Morning links

Sincerely hope they are bringing him back slowly as a precautionary measure and not because he’s had a setback. He’s had knee issues before of course, so my fingers are crossed. The line is obviously better with him in.

Eric, what are your thoughts regarding Livingston so far? Anything of note that strike you as he’s practiced?

2. I am concerned about Red – having a week off between practices seems to go beyond ‘bringing him back slowly’. If a day (or two) off between practices isn’t enough rest for his knee, how bad must his knee be?

3. Soggybuc says:

Hopefully we can get him off the field more this year. Branch and Siavii will be important tools for that.

4. chuck_easton says:

While I can’t say what has and has not been discussed with Whitehurst by PC and Schneider I do have this to say about Florio at ProFootballTalk.

The man has a demonstrated dislike of all things Pete Carroll. He makes no effort to hide the fact that he does not like the man.

His latest rant against Pete was with the Lofa situation where Florio input his opinion that this was proof that nobody wanted to play for Pete and players were turning on him. As Florio put it “another player wants out of Seattle…”

5. i’m all for bringing Big Red back slowly.

Any 330-lb football player with a history of knee injuries is at a crossroads as he rehabs. He needs to strengthen the muscles around that knee while regaining flexibility, and that takes time. Push him into intense workouts or collisions too fast, and he’ll damage himself again. That could be the end of a promising career.

Remember Marcus Tubbs? I always wonder what would have happened if they had PUP’ed him during his rehab instead of throwing him into a preseason game only to watch awkwardly try to protect his rehabbed knee, and, in the process, injure the other one.

Not to be an alarmist, it was just am MCL tear, fortunately, but this is a huge D lineman who has basically played 6 healthy and stellar games in his brief career.

I don’t care if Red is held out through most of preseason. I don’t care if he misses opening day. I want to see him get fully healthy and stay healthy for the next few years. Don’t play him until that knee is 100% ready. He is that valuable, and knees are that fragile.

I have long believed Florio is a tool. He’s rumor monger masquerading as a journalsit.

7. rgbuckl says:

That’s ridiculous. It’s well documented how much the players love playing for PC and it’s something else drawing high-caliber players to a team they would not have come to before.

8. Dukeshire: Levingston has looked solid so far. A quick burst off the line of scrimmage and he seems pretty powerful. He’s getting work at 3-tech and 5-tech with the second unit.

9. chuck_easton says:

On a side note, La Canfora was on NFLN this weekend and one of the discussion points was Lofa Tatupu.

La Canfora said that Oakland and Washington were interested in Lofa if he would move to WILL. The Bears are interested but not to have Lofa play his preferred position of Middle LB.

La Canfora went on to say perhaps Lofa is regretting his decision not to take the re-structure and to remain in Seattle. He also said that Lofa isn’t hearing any better numbers from the other teams than what he could have gotten in Seattle.

Of course Lofa could sign somewhere tomorrow but this did explain to me why it’s been over a week and there has been no movement on him.

I know Seattle has moved on. But I love Lofa the person so much part of me wishes he would come back to the Seahawks in some fashion.

10. I heard the La Canfora bit on Lofa and had similar thoughts.

11. Hey, I am all for being cautious with Red, but a week between practices is really, really, really unusual.

Considering the first preseason game is this week, you have to consider the possibility that his knee really isn’t that solid yet.

12. If PC and JC have any interest in Lofa, they should reach out to him. Maybe offer him slightly more than they did before. That way, his pride will still be intact. But perhaps they’re ready to move on. I for one would love to see him back and think he’s still worth $3 million per year to the Seahawks.

13. seahawk44 says:

I think re-signing Tatupu would be smart. He is a locker room leader and would provide much needed depth at the position. As the roster stands now….who plays MLB if Heater goes down?

14. I think McCoy is the backup for Hawtorne at MIKE.

15. freedom_X says:

If Charlie Whitehurst would just show something in practice, he might have gotten more of a shot to play. But he dropped the ball last year by being completely outclassed in practice by Hasselbeck (a player the front office would have replaced if they could have) and still isn’t showing that much now.

His only hope is to show he’s a gamer and knocks the lights out in preseason. He should get plenty of time – he ought to get at least half the snaps. If Whitehurst can really shine in preseason, it would at least something for Whitehurst advocates to stand on. But as long as he shows nothing in practice – his career is going nowhere.

16. “As for T-Jack, only time will tell if Seattle made the right move. But considering his contract and the fact that he was a free agent, it’s not a huge gamble. It’s not like the Bears’ gamble when they gave up a first round pick for Rick Mirer.”

Agreed. And by keeping our 1st round pick in the ’12 draft (no Kolb deal), we’re going to be able to take care of the position at that time if and when he doesn’t work out.

17. I don’t understand why players coming back from Injury don’t where braces anymore. a sign of weakness? You used to see every offensive lineman wearing them – I seem to remember the days of the Hogs in Washington there were teams that required the players to wear them.

Might have saved Tubbs. who knows.

I would take Lofa back with open arms!! and if it was as hard as they say to let him go then they would welcome him back with the same or similar terms.

We need to depth and the leadership

blocis / seahawk44 – Wright’s been working at Mike behind Heater but we’ll know more Thrusday.

A buddy sent this to me in an email. The subject line said: The David Green Rule.

20. Soggybuc says: