Quick look at Friday practice

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Aug. 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm with 21 Comments »
August 5, 2011 4:26 pm

Probably the biggest fan crowd of training camp was on hand for the Friday afternoon practice. The team certainly seemed more energized and alert. The hitting seemed better, too, as the defense dominated on many of the team-session plays. A big hit early was a little scary, too, as linebacker David Hawthorne decked Marshawn Lynch for a loss. Lynch took a while to get up, but did not miss any action thereafter.

A young guy really having an impact is safety Kam Chancellor. He showed his athleticism and size as a rookie, but this time around he’s displaying pretty impressive play-making ability. Friday was the third straight day he had an interception. Again, this one was on a tipped pass. He’s got a knack for being around the ball and the hands to come up with the play once the ball comes free. Rookie linebacker Malcolm Smith also had an interception of a Charlie Whitehurst pass.

Young receivers had nice days, too. Chris Carter had a couple nice catches, including a touchdown in the Red Zone. Doug Baldwin continues his good camp. Isaiah Stanback and Ricardo Lockette also had nice catches in the Red Zone session.

During 7-on-7, Sidney Rice had at least three notable catches.

Tarvaris Jackson looked more comfortable and accurate. He also showed what he can do with the wheels when chased from the pocket. He’s obviously fast enough to be a threat when he has to run.

Much of the practice involved special situations … Red Zone, clock management, etc. They even worked on their “Victory” formation in which the quarterback takes a knee.

Sometimes you can catch a few things when you watch that give you a look inside the minds of the coaches. Thursday’s practice featured an unacceptable number of fumbles on the center-quarterback exchange. Friday, while all the other Seahawks wore shorts (as they did Thursday), the centers wore cut-off football pants. The fit is a lot tighter and more closely replicates the game uniform. Perhaps the baggy shorts were considered an issue with the exchanges.

For at least several years, Seahawk receivers have punished themselves by doing push ups whenever they dropped a pass. Now, anybody who has a false start is pulled from the lineup and takes a lap of the field. It’s not so much that the lap is a punishment, but being yanked from the next play certainly makes the player concentrate more.

In a late drill working against the clock, a drive stalled and Brandon Coutu was called on to kick a final-second field goal from 48 yards. He missed.

Red Bryant did not practice. Coach Carroll is talking as I type, so we haven’t gotten an explanation. And receiver Ben Obomanu is gone due to a death in his family

false start.. out of the lineup and take a lap

CENTERS..

Dave, I think I speak for everyone here when I say we really appreciate your extra eyes. Eric can only catch so much and your additional input (which seems to be more than in recent camps) has a unique tone and unique insights (the center’s cut off pants, as an example).

Anyway; Chancellor is having an awesome camp. Straight up picks can be the result of several things, some of which have nothing to do with playing good defense (errant throws). INTs on tipped balls only come from being near the action, anticipation and understanding one’s assignments. Kam’s had one tipped INT in each of the past 3 practices. Awesome.

Anxious to hear why Red was out of the line-up.

Dave, did Thurmond see the field today?

2. raymaines says:

One of the things I don’t like about this sort of blog is that I can’t start a thread.

If I could start a thread, it might be something like: “Tarvaris Jackson isn’t all that bad. Give him a chance.”

Time will tell, but I think the kid has a chance to be pretty good in this system. Then again, I might just be drinking the kool aid.

raymaines – QB is so high profile, judgements come quickly. Time will tell how he fairs here. If it makes you feel any better, a thread like the one you pose would likely be met with the same tenor the collective posts regarding him here, have held.

Kam Chancellor! Way to go! I think by the end of the year we will have one of the best group of DBs in the NFL.
    Dukeshire- I liked Kam too but thought that his slower 40 time would set him back.
    Good thing I was wrong!

Now to the D-line. If our defense is going to be above average this year than our D-line has to come through!
    I hope nothing too much is lingering with Red? We need him.

5. I went to the VMAC today eager to see a couple of things… The practice had that “early camp” look to it, so hard to take a lot from it, but here’s what I noticed…

Number one thing I was looking forward to was seeing Tom Cable work with the O linemen. Was not disappointed. Last summer I spent a few practices watching Alex Gibbs (remember Alex Gibbs?) in the same spot and Gibbs looked a bit like a tired old guy. Cable did not. He was active and moving the players quickly through drills; he was in their faces and working them. Also great to see Gallery talking between drills with Moffit and Carp and Okung, helping to coach them up.

Okung moving quick between drills with no limp. We’ll finally get to see who we drafted.

Unger looks small standing with his new starting line. I like that.

Carp really is a big man. Everyone knows he’s 6’5, but seeing him him in person I noticed the big man basically has no neck, so he’s about 6’3″ at his shoulder. lol!

Red Bryant and Walter Thurmond did not practice. That was disappointing.

Really Great to see Leroy Hill working with the starting LBs. He looks in shape and serious. If he stays healthy, I think he could end up being this year’s “comeback player of the year” for us.

Malcom Smith’s speed makes him unmistakable.

Chancellor was noticeable in coverage constantly. Not at all like last year when he looked lost.

Believe it or not, one of the most welcome sights for me was seeing kicker Jeff Reed — only because he has cut his hair short and so he no longer looks like the doofus we’ve seen in all those night club pictures online. lol!

6. I hope Thurmond comes back pretty soon. I was really expecting him to start and have a good/solid season. I hope the ankle doesn’t hold him back. How frustrating to tear up your knee and then all of a sudden sprain an ankle. I’m mad for me and I feel bad for him. It’s early though…

I like what I keep reading about Cable and the offensive line. Talent can only take you so far and coaching can only take you so far. It seems that we FINALLY have a worthy combination. I’m looking forward to see how they work together throughout the season and progress towards 2012 (when they will really be ready to rock)!

For anyone — how has Branch been looking at the 3-tech?

7. raymaines – how is this system supposed to be better for Jackson when it’s the same system that Bevell brought with him from Minnesota?

8. Mr Boling:
    Did you see any difference between the two kickers? Was Coutu’s missed 48 yarder a big setback in his competition with Reed, or not?

Stevo – … doofus. lol! Seriously though, I was giggling after I finished your second paragraph, about the o-line. Reading between the lines; Gallery is an extension of Cable. Not unlike the way Hamilton was an extension of Gibbs, only younger and with PLENTY to contribute on the field, still.

Initial impressions; Moffitt? Sherman / Maxwell? Wright at MLB?…

Please share any other observations. Thanks, man!

10. So who is this Doug Baldwin character? Found this over at Field Gulls

So PC/JS are jumping the gun a little and setting up another QB/WR reunion. May their plan not be thwarted.

Stevos – so what of the other WR’s?

Baldwin is becoming the Nick Reed, as it were, of this year’s camp, which is cool. And the reports of him playing so well are a bit surprising, but is he that much of an unknown? He played at Stanford after all, so one would think he’d wouldn’t be a total unknown to fans of NFL teams on the west coast.

He and Lockette are in a battle so far, for a roster spot.

Tim Hasselbeck just said on ESPN that the Giants ought to call the ‘Hawks and offer Osi to them for Carlson and a draft pick. Apparently, he stopped reading the fan posts on the blogs 2 days ago. He’s such an idiot.

13. Soggybuc says:

From John Schneiders hand written note:

P.S. we are getting Andy next year too.

14. @BobbyK — I was watching Branch in pass rush drills. Most noticeable thing is he is BIG, Red Bryant Big. He also appears to move real well. Hard to tell much more from just watching drills. Looking forward to seeing him in preseason. Honestly, the only D lineman I saw really stand out in (inside) pass rush drills was Brandon Mebane, who wastearing it up.

@Duke — I watched Moffitt quite a bit. Again, hard to say a lot from watching drills, but to me he looked winded more often than other guys and maybe not in shape yet. Its early yet to judge, I think. Looked like Cable was spending extra time with him also. Gallery made everything look pretty effortless. Fanaika looks big and powerful at RG with the second unit, so he’ll be one to watch I think.

Stevo – Much appreciated.

16. @KLM — Mr Boling and others may have more to say about the kicking competition, but here’s what I saw:

Reed and Coutu spent most of practice on fairly short FGs, more like honing skills and getting reps than really competing. I did notice that Coutu was practicing his punting also, so that just might add to his value if he can be backup P as well as K. Jon Ryan seemed to spend the whole practice standing around with his red hair blowing in the breeze. Kickers. What can you say about them? They’re sort of like football players. But not.

17. lol @ stevos… good stuff… thanks.

Yeah, that is funny.

19. SeahawkFan12 says:

Stevos, thanks for your perspective and humor!

20. Dave Boling says:

Kicker? I think it’s open and will be determined by game performances. I think the moving of the kickoff might change some of the evaluation of kickers this season .. and might mitigate the loss of Mare.

Thurmond did not play. Red is getting some rest because of his surgical recovery and his conditioning is not that great. Carroll said his weight is up because of the crazy off season and his recuperation.

Yes … agree, Mebane has looked great.

Also, Cable is fun to watch. Has not blown a gasket ala Gibbs. Actually seems like a very positive coach. These guys really respect him.

Of the tight ends. They’re running a lot of stuff with both of them. I think they seem to use Carlson more with the motion and split stuff.