A few minutes with Brandon Browner

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm with 8 Comments »
August 4, 2011 10:02 pm

The CFL experience

Brandon Browner spent the past four years in the Canadian Football League playing cornerback for the Calgary Stampeders. And Browner has been impressive, earning All-CFL honors the past three years.

“It was great for me,” Browner said. “It was a chance to play ball and do what I love. I’ve been trying to get back here for the last four years, and I’m finally here. I’m happy to be here with a great team and a great group of guys around me. I’m having fun right now, and living out my dream, you know what I mean?”

The one that got away

A Southern California native, Browner, 27, got away from Pete Carroll and the Trojans, winding up at Oregon State. Browner earned PAC-10 Freshman of the year honors for the Beavers, and also was selected to the All-PAC-10 second team that season.

“I’m a California guy, too, so he recruited me out of high school,” Browner said. “I got away from him, and I’m happy to be back. He’s one of those coaches that you want to play for.”

Down and out in Denver

After an impressive college career, Browner was picked up as an undrafted rookie free agent b Denver in 2005. He had an impressive training camp cut short two weeks into preseason play, when he suffered a fractured left forearm and was placed on the injured reserve, missing the rest of the season.

Denver released Browner a year later, and he landed in the CFL.

“I was a young guy when I got released by the Broncos,” he said. “Up there I learned to appreciate the game. In the CFL obviously the money is a lot different. I went up there and did what I love to do. Money wasn’t the issue.”

A big corner

At 6-4, 220 pounds, Browner is the biggest cornerback on Seattle’s roster. He fits the type of player Carroll is looking for at the position – a big, physical corner who can own the line of scrimmage and run.

The Seahawks have a young group, so Browner said he and the other players are leaning on veterans Marcus Trufant and Kelly Jennings, Seattle’s starting cornerback tandem from last year.

“Trufant is a heck of a athlete,” he said. “He’s going into his ninth year, and he’s got a lot of football knowledge, and we’re trying to soak up as much as we can.

“I’m still learning. I’m still new here, and they’re throwing things at us fast during training camp, so I’m still taking my time trying to get used to it.”

Notes from practice
  1. williambryan says:

Eric, is Browner pretty much a lock to make the 53?

2. Williambryan: I don’t think he’s a lock, but he’s got a good shot. Splitting time with the first unit right now.

3. Soggybuc says:

Thanks for that update E, had high hopes for this guy. doesnt sound like he is making “splashy” plays but i’ll take a solid performer any day.

4. As I posted in the practice thread if Browner was the big CB sporting 37, he looked impressive covering the big guys. Almost everytime I was eyeing a DB breaking up a jump ball, I kept seeing 37. I actually thought he was a safety with that size until i saw him line up across from BMW. Never saw him press cover, he doesnt have great speed but he seems to change direction fluidly and has some great timing on jump balls. I would love to see some more of him.

5. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I like his size but he ran a high 4.6, low 4.7, at the combine. I’m no expert, but those times seem too slow for a corner. He’d likely get burned a lot in man coverage. Still, he is impressive. It would be nice if Carrol found a spot for him on the roster. .

He’s such an intriguing player, with his size. I’m really anxious to watch him play. Hopefully he’ll work out at corner, but if he doesn’t, the obvious move would be to shift him to SS. He’ll be fun to watch.

7. williambryan says:

I wish the NFL would expand the rosters to about 60. there are going to be some talented players that are going to have to be let go…

8. richardfg7 says:

Ya ,I hear that ! The part I hate is nobody’s perfect . So you know the hawks will miss & cut one or two that end-up playing well elsewhere .