Hawks’ free agent tracker

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 3, 2011 at 6:18 am with 35 Comments »
August 3, 2011 2:25 pm

Here’s an updated look at the free agent tracker, along with some notes left over from Tuesday afternoon’s practice.

Carroll said defensive end Chris Clemons had ankle surgery during the offseason, and the team trainers are bringing him back slowly.

The Seahawks agreed to terms with former Buffalo Bills free safety Brett Johnson and University of Montana running back Chase Reynolds.

A spot opened up at running back for Reynolds after the team released Chris Henry.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Kentwood High graduate Mike Karney is scheduled to visit the Seahawks today. Karney started at fullback for the St. Louis Rams last year.

And according to the National Football Post, former Washington Redskins pass rusher Chris Wilson and former Pittsburgh and San Francisco kicker Jeff Reed worked out for the Seahawks on Tuesday.

If there’s anyone that I’ve missed, let me know in the comments section.

HEADING TO SEATTLE?

DT Alan Branch
Status: Former Arizona Cardinal lineman signs a two-year, $8 million contract.

K Wes Byrum
Status: Undrafted rookie free agent out of Auburn will compete for kicker job left vacant by Olindo Mare signing multi-year deal with Carolina.

K Brandon Coutu
Status: Originally a seventh-round pick by Seattle in 2008. Brought back to compete for kicker job.

LB Leroy Hill
Status: Missed all of last season with a heel injury, but will be back this year.

OG Robert Gallery
Status: Former Oakland Raider agreed to a three-year deal, and will be Seattle’s new left guard.

QB Tarvaris Jackson
Status: Signed a two-year, $8 million deal and named Seattle’s starting quarterback without taking a practice snap.

CB Kelly Jennings
Status: Signed a one-year deal to re-join the team.

LB Matt McCoy
Status: Signed one-year, veteran minimum deal with incentives.

DT Brandon Mebane
Status: Signed a five-year, $25 million deal, $9 million guaranteed to re-join Seattle.

TE Zach Miller
Status: The top tight end in free agency signs a five-year, $35 million deal, with $17 million guaranteed.

RB Chase Reynolds
Status: Undrafted rookie free agent ran for 4,070 yards and 59 touchdowns at Montana.

WR Sidney Rice
Status: The former Minnesota Viking signed a reported five-year, $41 million deal, $18.5 of which is guaranteed.

FB Michael Robinson
Status: The lone fullback on the roster last year, Robinson has indicated he has been resigned.

DT Junior Siavii
Status: The defensive lineman started six games for Seattle last year at both tackle and end.

DL Ryan Sims

Status: The defensive lineman sign with Seattle. Terms undisclosed.

DL Jimmy Wilkerson
Status: The New Orleans defensive lineman agreed to a one year, $1.5 million deal.

MOVING ON?

QB Matt Hasselbeck
Status: Signed a three-year, $21 million deal to be the starting quarterback for Tennessee and mentor rookie Jake Locker.

RB Chris Henry
Status: University of Arizona product released by Seattle.

LB Will Herring
Status: Signed a three-year deal with New Orleans, and will get a shot to compete for a starting job for the Saints.

K Olindo Mare
Status: Signed a reported four year, $12 million deal, $4 million of which is guaranteed, to be the kicker for Carolina.

C Chris Spencer
Status: Signed a two-year deal with Chicago.

WR Brandon Stokley
Status: Signed a one-year deal to join former coach Mike Shanahan at Washington. UPDATE: pump the brakes on Stokley to Washington. Agent Rick Smith saying too many receivers signed.

LB Lofa Tatupu
Status: Asked for his release after refusing to take a pay cut.

STILL WAITING

DB Jordan Babineaux, DE Raheem Brock, DT Amon Gordon, OT Sean Locklear, QB J.P. Losman, WR Ruvell Martin, DB Lawyer Milloy, OT Chester Pitts, DE Jay Richardson, DT Craig Terrill, OT Ray Willis.

NFL free agency

There must be a bidding war going on for Mebane?

2. If Mebane, Terrill, Brock, Babs, Hill can be retained, and we were to sign a Johnathan Joseph, and a free agent SS like even Chinedum Ndukwe (UFA from CIN) or Roman Harper, another UFA, it might not be a bad deal. Throw in a decent edge rusher, and this teams potential could end up solely on the arm of the QB.

Kinda sucks Hass is gone now.

3. Georgia….. re: Mebane… Wondering about that also…. Surprised it is not mentioned, but Eric’s article is about facts, not rumors so my bad….

Georgia – The Broncos are in on the bidding and last night I saw that NO was as well, but I’m not seeing that this morning.

It’s hard to imagine Seattle pursuing any UFA for the secondary as crowded as it is and with so many draft picks invested back there.

6. IdahoHawk says:

Let’s hope today is as exciting a yesterday. Also I like Hasselbeck as much as the next guy but lets move on and drop it. If the thought of getting ride of him didn’t cross your mind atleast once last year, your crazy.

7. The key today, I’d say, is Mebane… defensive line….

8. BrianHawk says:

“Signed” should really say “Agreed to sign with”

9. The good news for the offense (Rice and Gallery) would really be dampened by the back defensive news of losing Mebane. I’ve heard Mike Holmgren in Cleveland was also hard after him as well as Denver. He’s priority #1 now. I heard the bidding for him was conservative at first (likely due to the new cap), so his agent has been holding out for more.

10. Soggybuc says:

Fieldgulls said Legree had signed as well as pep good news. i’m hoping we see the rest of our picks get their deals done in time for tomorrows practice.

11. You guys know that the reservations for open VMAC practices is up on seahawks.com, right? I’ll be there next week to watch the TJack vs Clipboard Charlie battle begin!

12. Of our FAs on the above list, I’d like to see these guys back on the team:
    Mebane
    Brock
    Siavii or Richardson or another FA D lineman
    Pitts or Spencer or another FA OG (in case Moffitt isn’t ready to start)
    I think I can live with seeing the rest of them move on.

13. ST/FB Michael Robinson re-signed.

14. Why no T.Jackson on that list? Did I dream this whole thing?

15. 9ers’ Nate Clements is being cut again as he didn’t reach agreement on cutting his pay. 9ers are going after Johnathan Joseph instead.

16. Starting LG Justin Smiley was released by JAX. He might be a good backup for Gallery. He played well for MIA before ’10.

17. Michael Robinson signed.

18. bigmike04 says:

Vince Young got released by tennessee titans, would Pete Carrol & company bring him it, he would be better serve to watch a seahawks QB than Charlie & Tarvis..

Thought I saw on twitter that Michael Robinson resigned, thought Brandon Mebean maybe good as gone with how Seahawks treated him during the lockout.

19. bigmike04 says:

John Clayton reports the Seahawks re-sign Brandon Mebane and Michael Robinson

20. “…thought Brandon Mebean maybe good as gone with how Seahawks treated him during the lockout.”

I thought teams couldn’t have ANY kind of interaction with players during the lockout.

21. Funny to see all those “old” comments from last week on here. My, how we’ve grown. ;)

NEW THREAD:

Another young inexperienced Safety signed yesterday? We now have 7 Safeties on the roster, and only two of them (ET and Kam) have ever played in an NFL game.

I didn’t want Babs back this year, but now I really think he should be re-signed just to get some experience on the field with the young guys.

22. HawkfaninMT says:

Re: Chase Reynolds

I have had the pleasure of watching this guy for last 3 years and he was a monster for the Griz! When the OL was on point it was one of theose situations where you could tell the Def, we are giving the ball to Chase and he is runnaing right there and it would not matter. Holds the record for most TDs scored in D I-AA, and is a hard nosed runner that can catch the ball outta the backfield and take it up the side line.

All that being said I don’t know if he will make it in the NFL. He is one of those guys that yo love to cheer for and I hope he does succeed! I was particularly excited to see the Hawks gave him a shot. He’s a competitive guy that fits in well with Pete’s competition theme, but he may just lack the size to last. Although I do feel like he is a better all around back than Lex Hilliard who has made it in Miami thus far, so here’s to hoping!!

23. trout_hound says:

I’m stoked about one under the radar signing. Chase Reynolds is a beast of a runner. Watched him for the last four years here in Montana run over people and rack up almost 60 TD’s, helping Montana be one of the top teams in the nation in their division. It would be fun to see him make the roster, even if just as a special teamer. He was injured last year, but was still pretty good. That will give me some more incentive to watch the pre-season games.
    It will be interesting to see how this new team shapes up. You can say its all about the team, but sometimes it really is about the players. I took my kids to a Mariners game this year, and they werent there to watch the M’s, they went to see Ichiro, more than anything. That’s just the way it was. And yes, they lost.
    The last couple of years I’ve bought tickets and drove hundreds of miles to watch the Hawks play a couple of times, mostly to see my favorite players like Matt and Lofa in action in person, even if the team kind of sucked. Not as much motivation to do that this year. I’m no fair-weather fan. I’ll still watch them faithfully on the tube though, like I have since it was Zorn to Largent, since I can’t help myself, even if they suck. And eventually, some new studs will step up. There are still guys like Forsett and Earl Thomas that make it fun to watch, but it will take a while before anyone fills Matt and Lofa’s shoes as the field generals you root for through good and bad because you know they are putting their heart and soul into every play. You just cross your fingers and hope Carroll knows what he’s doing, and pray that somehow we get a quarterback we can trust week in and week out to put us in a position to win, and we can get a defense that actually makes some third down stops consistently. Looking at this year’s schedule, along with the lack of off-season for the offense to gel, and my hopes arent too high. I hope they surprise me.

24. ryanryan says:

the db situation is really crazy…I don’t recall ever having so many youngsters in the fold. There will be some tough decisions to be made with the limited camp evalutation before the season begins. Hopefully they make the right decisions without passing along some diamonds in the rough to other teams.

I was about to comment then found out I already did? How did I do that?

Great moves by the Hawks! Can’t wait for the new signings to start Thursday!

And this division is now ours! Looking forward to a few home playoff games this year!

Love our young DBs!

Let the kids play!

27. ChrisHolmes says:

Side note that struck me today: Madden 2012 is going to be so much fun as a Seahawks fan. I can’t wait to start my franchise and trade for a legit QB. So many weapons on this team…

28. grizindabox24 says:

Clayton just said that CBA is not finalized and newly signed players may not be able to practice until Monday.

29. grizindabox24 says:

Clayton also said that the Hawks are still in play for LB Ben Leber and that NYG may have increased interest in Carlson because contract to Miller may have taken Boss out of the picture for them to resign as he would want a contract similar.

30. I love our young DBs too, Georgia, but I’m a little concerned about S. I think Schneider is not done making moves yet to find another safety. My guess is we will sign a veteran S during final cuts to 53.

The way I see the CBs shaking out, potentially is:

Trufant, Thurmond – starters
    Jennings, Sherman – nickel and dime
    Cox or Lewis – backup/special teams?
    Maxwell – maybe practice squad of converted to safety?

At S, its looking thin:

Thomas, Chance – starters
    Legree – dime/bandit
    Maxwell might need to convert from CB?
    We need to add a veteran S to this group

31. seahawk44 says:

Eric…..your list is missing Tavaris Jackson and Zach Miller

32. Mr Williams: I think you can add Tavaris Jackson to the ‘Heading To Seattle’ column, unless it was all really just a huge practical joke(?) My nephew-in-law is here from MIN (big Vikes fan) and is saying how pleased he is that TJax is no longer there. He’s not so happy about losing Rice.

In the ‘Moving On’ column should we put Chris Baker? He didn’t perform as well at run blocking for SEA as he did at NE. Hope Zack Miller run-blocks as well as he did last season for OAK/Cable. Don’t expect him to be getting 60 recepts.

With Kam Chancellor and Mark LeGree at SS, is “Big Play Babs” done here? He made some big plays for us in years past and I sure wish him the very best wherever he lands. He used to come in as a CB from time to time, didn’t he?

33. ballgame says:

Stevos: I like your list but 10 DB’s seems like more than they have carried in a long time. I could be wrong but don’t they normally carry only 8.

34. ballgame says:

Sorry Stevos you had them keeping 9, that might be possible.

35. @ballgame, I forgot to include Brandon Browner on that list, and he will likely make the team. Keeping 9 DBs is possible because so many are young developmental guys, but who knows how it will shake out. I was just guessing.

Actually, I hope we get to see Jennings released and Browner, Sherman, and Maxwell step up.

But I’m still concerned that if ET or Kam get injured, the guys behind them won’t be ready to go.