Morning links: Speed’s back for Washington

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 2, 2011 at 7:53 am with 34 Comments »
August 2, 2011 7:53 am

Dave Boling of The News Tribune spent some time with Seattle Seahawks running back Leon Washington on Monday, who says he feels more explosive, now two years removed from a gruesome leg injury.

The Florida native also became a father for the third time during the lockout. He has three boys; he and his wife Charity’s latest is six-week-old Nolen.

Boling:

“Washington has been one of the eye-catching players early in training camp – shifty in tight quarters, with breakaway speed once he slips past the line.

“The only surprise there is that he looks even quicker than last season, when he returned three kickoffs for touchdowns, and almost had a punt return score, too, but he was somewhat embarrassingly tripped up by the punter at the 1-yard line.

“His speed, he says, is enhanced by having lost a few pounds (pregnancy weight, maybe?), and by the natural confidence of now being another year removed from the gruesome compound leg fracture that ended his ’09 season with the New York Jets.”

Still no word on Oakland Raiders free agent Zach Miller and whether he’ll sign with Seattle. Miller was in town on Monday and had dinner with Seahawks’ officials. Bill Williamson of ESPN reports that the Raiders are hopeful that Miller will return, and created some cap space by re-signing linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to a five-year, $48 million deal. Wimbley initially had been Oakland’s franchise player.

Williamson also confirms that Lofa Tatupu visited Oakland, and would play weakside linebacker if the team signs him, leaving Rolondo McClain to man the middle.

ESPN’s Mike Sando explains why Miller makes sense for Seattle.

According to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com the Seahawks signed defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson to a one year, $1.5 million deal. Wilkerson visited the team earlier in free agency, and played for defensive line coach Todd Wash in Tampa Bay.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the Seahawks are one of 10 teams that have more than $20 million in cap space. The report has Seattle at more than $21.2 million under the cap.

Christian Caple of Seattlepi.com talks to Jameson Konz about his position change from tight end to defensive end, which the Kent State product says is only temporary.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com provides some highlights from Monday afternoon’s practice, noting the Charlie Whitehurst looked better.

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News says the Seahawks are one of five teams interested in possibly trading for Osi Umenyiora.

Check out this music video below of Seahawks’ running back Justin Forsett, who wrote the song L.O.V.E for his wife Angela Forsett to celebrate their one year wedding anniversary. The video includes appearances by teammates Deon Butler, Cameron Morrah and Roy Lewis, who apparently thinks this is an audition for a Jodeci video.

Morning links
  1. chuck_easton says:

Interested in Osi. But not if it costs a 1st round draft choice AND a big new contract.

NY is just going through the motions so they can go back to Osi and tell him they tried but nobody was willing to trade for him. He’ll be a Giant this year or he will sit out.

2. I would be totally miffed if the Seahawks did anything with that 1st round draft choice other than draft their next QB.

3. Wilkerson should be a nice replacement for Raheem Brock to rotate with Clemons at the Leo.

Also happy to see that report we still have so much cap room. Could be lots of decent signings yet to come before September.

It will be interesting to see if Washington gets more involved in the running game. I would think some, simply because they’re going to run the ball more, but I still believe Lynch and Forsett will get the bulk of the work back there.

5. IBGoofy says:

I sure like the Zach Miller possibility….. we’re talkin’ one of the better TE’s in the NFL…..

6. pabuwal says:

If this is correct and Washington has regained his speed and explosiveness, this could be huge. The 2 RBs ahead of him won’t scare any defenses when it comes to home run ability.

7. SeahawkFan12 says:

I agree with chuck; a 1st is way to high (plus the huge contract). He’ll be a Giant again soon.

8. Man, I hope they pound the ball with Brotha Lynch in the early stages of games with some J-force sprinkled in (it always seems Justin squirts out for a 10-12 yrd gain), but come down the stretch by unleashing Neon Leon on the bruised up tired D. Also, I need to see some more screens and dump offs to his ass. He’s too big of a play maker not to utilise his abilities more.

9. Osi is definately not worth a 1st rounder, nothing but a franchise quarterback is worth our 1st rounder. I hope we can pick up Miller, then try and package Carlson for a D lineman or linebacker or corner.

10. Maybe if the Giants don’t resign Boss we can trade Carlson and a higher round draft pick for Osi.

11. pabuwal says:

I am guessing the signing of Jimmy Wilkerson spends the end of Colin Cole. When healthy, he was an elite run stuffer, but didn’t generate much of a pass rush.

12. Audible says:

I like the idea of trading Carlson for Osi, if we sign Miller.

Do the Giants need a TE?

I would go maybe as high as a 5th with Miller for Osi but that’s about it.

Upgrading both TE and DE for what would amount to a 5th rounder? How cool would that be? Get ‘er done, boys.

13. Audible says:

a 5th with Carlon, that is…

I’m not sure signing a weak side DE signals the end for Cole. My guess is that the Cole will start on the PUP list and Sims was signed as insurance against that, working behinf Mebane.

15. With the lone exception of Cable getting “his guy” to play left guard (in part to help train all of the young guys), I don’t see any way we’re going to get Osi. We’re getting rid of old players, not collecting them.

And with our QB position as “stable” as it is, it’s not like we’re one player away from competing for a championship (especially a guy on the wrong side of 30). Unless, of course, that one player were actually a good QB.

We may need that 2nd round pick next year to potentially move up in the draft to get the QB we want. I just don’t see where it’s responsible to trade away future picks when your QB position isn’t where you want it to be. We already owe the Bills a mid-round pick next year as final payment of the Lynch trade so we’re already without all of our selections in the draft. I don’t want to go into the ’12 draft anymore shorthanded than we already are.

16. Having a strong pass rush will help the entire defense, which just put us over the edge for another division title. If we can gamble Carlson and a 5th or later, I would say do it because another playoff appearance would be huge for this team during this rebuild.

17. Until I feel good about our QB situation, I’m going to temper my expectations and am going to hope that the moves made are with ’13-15 in mind and not focusing so much on ’11 (as most have been). Osi will be fine for ’11, but at his age and position, skills naturally decline. If we’re talking about dealing Carlson, I’d rather get a draft pick in ’12 or ’13 instead of dealing him for an older player and giving up one of our picks. Of course, what’s going to probably happen is that Miller resigns with the Raiders. lol

Still, it’s fun to actually have real football to talk about again. I’d be doing cartwheels over our roster and moves we’ve made if it weren’t for one specific thing that we signed to lead this team.

18. Yeah, sounds like Miller signed with Oakland…dumbass:

19. Nice job on the song/video Justin! Wife & I danced competively until 2010, so we can appreciate good music… Not exactly what we danced to, but great sound!

Nicely done…. gotta think your Lady appreciated it too…..

20. chuck_easton says:

Just another case of a player using Seattle as leverage to get their team to offer a bigger payday.

Can’t say it doesn’t go both ways. Mebane tried to use other teams to get a bigger payday from Seattle.

Sounds a bit like another Kris Dielman situation, to me.

22. Who cares about Zach Miller, I’m excited to see Morrah this year.

23. ryanryan says:

sounds EXACTLY like the Dielman situation…the bad part is that Carleson knows now that we don’t exactly covet his services.

I think I read yesterday that his agent had been notified about the interest in Zach Miller. I’m sure Carleson wasn’t told that he and Miller would create a dynamic Ace package together.

On another note, how terrible of a Madden 12 team are we trying to put together for cryin’ out loud. I only play with the hawks, but c’mon…this is pretty rediculous.

24. It’s not bad that Carlson knows we’re investigating other options..if he was playing at a higher level, there would be no interest in Miller.

25. I’m excited to see more of Morrah too this year. He showed flashes of his talent last year. The Seahawks don’t really need a high-priced TE. Not that I wouldn’t have been excited to steal Zach Miller from the Raiders, but I’m more excited that they stole Gallery.

Good signing: Gallery
    Good singing: Forsett

26. Ewalters7354 says:

The Raiders will suck anyway.They let the head coach that lead then to their bestt record in almost 10yrs go.Zach Miller doesn’t wanna win he wants to get paid.

27. This was posted over at the Seahawk blog at ESPN yesterday.

JS did an interview this morning on SiriusXM NFL channel and he said at least a half dozen times to expect something big. He also said the Dline is Seattles biggest concern. I dont know what it means but it was a great interview and he had the guys dying laughing!

Looks like Miller was supposed to be one those “big” things. And if another “big” thing isn’t Osi, what could it be?

28. ballgame says:

sounds like the “hawks are signed FB Mike Karney

29. We got, IMO, the best player available in all of free agency who happens to only be 25 years old. I’m not going to let this get me too down.

Unless this “big thing” is a real NFL QB, I’m going to keep my expectations realistic.

30. ballgame says:

**signed, not are signed

31. Not too worried about losing out on Miller. Carlson, Morrah, and McCoy all have potential to surprise. I felt like Zach Miller was more like a small upgrade over Carlson so we could let Carlson walk away during free agency next year. But I don’t think we are in bad shape at TE.

We still have $20M to spend.

32. @BobbyK, welcome back! and I like your point that we should retain both our 1st and 2nd round draft picks next year as insurance that we can move up in the draft to get the QB that Carroll decides he wants.

33. Ewalters7354 says:

I just seen on twitter by Schefter and Clayton that we agreed to terms with Zach Miller!!Whoo

34. When this line comes together and opens holes large enough for a semi… no question… time for Washington to exploit the situation. If Pit Steeler RB Parker was “Fast” (4.42) Leon Washington is “Neon Fast” (4.42). Losing weight would seem to be a bad thing at 5’8″ 210 . Forsett is listed 5’8″ 190 (4.54) and Lynch 5’11” 215 (4.46). Stopwatch handler had an itchy finger on Marshawn. — Shaun Alexander had a 4.58. Many of the top backs weren’t extremely fast. Priest Holmes, Emmitt Smith but found the holes and good bye.

WR Percy Harvin 5“11“ 192 (4.39) was used in the running game in Minn. Expect Bevell to do the same with WR Tate 5’10” 200 (4.42). Both had running back experience Tate having moved to WR because he felt it gave him a better chance for playing time as a freshman at Notre Dame.

BobbyK – 21.5 M is plenty to sign the FavrreeeAAAA!!!!!