Hawks agree to terms with Zach Miller

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm with 79 Comments »
August 2, 2011 2:46 pm

The Seattle Seahawks announced this afternoon that they have agreed to a contract with former Oakland Raiders tight end Zach Miller.

Terms have not been disclosed. The 27-year-old 25-year-old was Oakland’s leading receiver last year, finishing with 60 receptions for 685 yards and five touchdowns, earning a Pro Bowl berth last year.

After meeting with Seattle team officials on Monday, Miller had to chose between the Seahawks and the Raiders, and apparently liked the situation better in Seattle, with former head coach Tom Cable now coaching the offensive line in Seattle.

The Seahawks now have six tight ends on the roster, including John Carlson, Anthony McCoy, Cameron Morrah, Ryan Travis and Dominique Byrd.

Seattle has shown interest in run blocking tight ends on the free agent market, including Daniel Graham and Daniel Fells, but both those players signed with other teams (Graham with Tennessee and Fells with Denver).

So the Seahawks grabbed one of top free agent tackles in the market, and someone with a similar skill set to someone already on the roster in Carlson.

And with the Notre Dame product in the final year of his contract, you wonder what are Seattle’s plans regarding Carlson moving forward.

UPDATE: ESPN’s Adam Schefter just provided contract details. Miller’s contract with the Seahawks is 5 years, $34 million, including $17 million guaranteed.

General Seahawks
  1. Wow, this has been a terrific free agency, big props to the guys in charge.

2. SandpointHawk says:

Oh Yeah…that’s what I’m talking about….
    Not my most intellectual post but it’s Happy Hour in my world ….

3. Sekolah says:

Zach Miller is actually 25, Eric. He’ll turn 26 in December.

4. Ewalters7354 says:

Well looks like John may be next on the billboard.

5. williambryan says:

A young pro bowler, what’s not to love about this? Although the pro bowl might not be as good of a measuring stick as it used to be, TE is still a very hard position to crack to get into the pro bowl.

6. Sekolah: Thanks. It’s been corrected.

7. IdahoHawk says:

Miller agreed to a five-year, $34 million contract with $17 million guaranteed

8. IdahoHawk says:

Missed the updated above.

9. Sweet, let’s start blowing people of the line!

10. Audible says:

“and someone with a similar skill set to someone already on the roster in Carlson.”

Eric…did I sense a slight edge of jealousy and resentment in your post??? LOL

No offense, but I hate the Al Davis and the F*in Raiders and especially from my days in San Diego…so the sub plot to this is almost as sweet as the signing.

11. You can’t complain when you get a guy who can legitimately claim he’s one of the best players in the NFL at his position. And he’s young to boot. Our receivers are looking impressive and the additions to the offensive line have been equally impressive. Most QBs in the NFL would drool to have the kind of #1 WR like Rice, a TE like Miller, a cornerstone LT in Okung, high recent picks for 3/5 of the rest of the line, and a quality FA LG in addition to a good/solid stable of RBs. Wow. This offensive, all of a sudden is impressive on paper. Too bad it’s going to be held hostage to a certain degree by its QB position. Get a real QB for ’12 and we’re going to have some GREAT years coming up.

12. Audible says:

I heard that Carroll was on the radio this morning teasing that something really big was in the works…Could be Miller…could be another player like a QB. You never know with these guys.

13. Audible says:

Guess what…Turns out Carroll and Schneider aren’t going to get worked over in Dielman scenarios like Ruskell and co. did….

I used to think it was difficult to rebuild a roster and replace it with young, promising talent… I guess not.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this week’s action has all but made me forget about that stupid lockout.

15. grizindabox24 says:

I think the Hawks overpaid. I like Miller, just maybe not that much.

16. :-)

I don’t think there was much wrong with the TEs we had as far as potential as receivers, but finally! we have a TE who can block! and boy was I tired to watching John Carlson’s lame blocking attempts. This is going to help the O line a lot on both passing and rushing plays.

17. grizindabox24 says:

I also think Carlson is gone.

“You can’t complain when you get a guy who can legitimately claim he’s one of the best players in the NFL at his position. And he’s young to boot.”

Not the first time we’ve heard that about a player that’s come to Seattle, this offseason. Wow, this is incredible.

19. Audible says:

Also, every time we sign a young talent like Miller, Rice, etc…it gets that much easier to sign other FAs.

20. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Excellent pick up. With Miller, Carlson, and Morrah, we have to have one of the best TE sets in the NFL. Hopefully we can keep that trio in tact for the next several seasons.

21. This is fun to watch play out. I’m simply stunned at looking at the talent we all-of-a-sudden have on the offensive side of the ball.

We have a #1 WR. We have 3 TEs that I really like. We have an OL for the first time in a half decade. Holy Cow!

I don’t know what kind of “big thing” they could get done with the QB position, but if they could do something, I think I’d faint (and that’d be a good thing). I know the odds are against it, but I don’t think too many things would surprise me anymore.

22. seatowntp says:

Posted by Mike Florio at 1:45 today:
    Raiders insider Greg Papa has predicted unequivocally that the Raiders will fend off Seattle’s effort to pilfer the Raiders’ starting tight end.

“Zach Miller will be back with the Raiders,” Papa said on radio in the Bay Area, via Vittorio Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle.

“Al Davis didn’t just give Kamerion Wimbley $29 million to lose Zach Miller to Tom Cable,” Papa added.

23. Its amazing how much money a team has to spend once they decide not to pay their pro bowl QB or MLB.

(sorry, I couldn’t resist just a wee bit of sarcasm in the midst of all this celebration)

24. We should try to get involved with Philly for Asante. If we could get a guy like that to show all our youngsters back there what’s up would be bad ass. Also, what’s our D Line looking like? We should try and package Carlson and get some added depth to some needed areas (DL, LB?).

25. chuck_easton says:

Maybe Carlson’s gone, maybe not.

What does Bevell’s offense have in the way of two TE sets?

Could you imagine Miller and Carlson lined up inside with Rice and Williams out wide?

6’5″, 6’5″, 6″5″ and 6″4″. Even TJack and Whitehurst couldn’t overthrow that lot.

26. With the exception of one move, I have glady forgotten the lockout too. I’d be mad if I were a fan of one of the teams who have done nothing to improve their team though. Too bad for them! lol

27. @BobbyK, I know you hate the TJack signing, but I thought you might be interested in an interview he gave the other day. He said that once he was signed by Seattle, he lobbied hard to convince Sidney Rice to come here to join him. So that’s a big bonus in his favor, I think.

28. Imagine if we still had Hass, oh well. T. Joke or broke I guess. Should be fun to watch if he can get our playmakers the ball. I really hope Tate has a break out season now, that would just be F’n ridiculous. Hopefully all this translates on the feild, We the fans deserve this so bad.

29. Stevos – Not impressed with your Hasselbeck sarcasm. Don’t forget his position was replaced with a $4 million loser.

30. grizindabox24 says:

I believe the percentage of plays Oakland used a 2 TE set ranked at 32nd in the NFL. The Vikings under Bevel ranked 7th in using a 2 TE set, they split Shiancoe wide with Kliensasser.

31. Stevos — lol — that’s okay:) And I know you love and appreciate Matt, too. I just wish he had the keys to this offensive machine so I could dream about a Super Bowl this year. :)

32. @Chuck – yes, lots of height! Add to those: Durham at 6’5″ and McCoy at 6’5″. Really plays into Tavaris’ throwing style, I think. Could be lots of jump balls thrown up this year to let the receivers fight for the ball. I like our chances.

33. I like what the Cowboys have done so far, my homie is a die hard, F them, Nnambi who. Damn, I just read the Eagles got Ronnie Brown, homie’s gone a love that too.

Hell, Rice and Williams are 6’5″. Lol

35. Speakin’ of the Eagles, anybody know what’s up with Weaver? Just curious, I loved that dude when he was a Hawk, talk about under utilized.

36. Remember when Ruskell offered a huge offer to Michael Clayton (and he turned it down).

I don’t think we’ll see anymore of those offers ever again (huge offers for crappy players).

I’m glad this regimes only pays top dollar to guys who are actually worth top dollar.

Oops, missed Chucks post there

38. Ruskell would have traded for Donovan McNabb and given him a 23 year contract for $2 billion.

Excuse me for being happy, but I’m glad those days are over.

39. Audible says:

Let’s finish off FA by picking up Carson, Osi, and Asante? Would that team be enough to reach the playoffs again???

40. bigsmooth says:

Carlson seems like a perfect fit in the Eagles offense does he not? Include him in a Samuel trade, please.

41. Audible says:

What’s the most we could get for Carlson in a trade straight-up? 3rd, 4th rounder?

42. Depending on where we pick next year, I wonder what the chances are that we could/would trade for Carson Palmer (Mike Brown will win the pissing match this year) and draft a QB in the 1st round (an Aaron Rodgers type of thing where he sits for a few years). The way comPete and the Duke boy are building this team, it appears we are in position to win sooner, rather than later. Not that I’m a Palmer fan and not that comPete has been favoring former USC players by any stretch of the imagination (he hasn’t), I’m just getting giddy at the thought of Moffpender and the rest of the OL jelling this year and exploding next year with the right driver. Time to get your tickets to the Super Bowl to be played in Feb. 2013 (’12 season)!!!

43. SeahawkFan12 says:

Why is everyone so big on trading Carlson? The offense he will benefit most from (and contribute to) is being installed right now. I’m not jumping up and down over Miller because I’m not seeing him as a huge upgrade unless we are talking 2 TE sets where both Carlson and Miller represent a double threat. Please enlighten me if I’m missing the boat on this.

44. Dude, I brought that up yesterday, pretty inticing huh, but someone was saying if he unretires, he’ll be a Bangle still.

45. How many balls did Carlson drop, how was his blocking, Morrah has way more upside.

46. Audible says:

Miller is a big upgrade because he is a great pass-catching tight end who can also block extremely well…we’re going to have a killer running game this year.

47. “Just got off phone w/Zach Miller, says fair to say Cable was “tipping point” in decision, which was not about money” Says a Raiders reporter.

I just think that goes to show, that Tom Cable might have been our prime pickup this offseason. I loved him from a coaching standpoint, and from the second he was no longer a Raider, I wanted him to come up to Seattle, and it seems it has payed off in more ways than one.

48. Carlson is a better blocker than Morrah. I have no problem keeping both and playing with a lot of two TE sets. We could really give defenses fits with some of our packages with Morrah, too. Bevell has plenty of options right now. But if we could get a good pick for Carlson (like a 3rd rounder from someone like the Browns), I think that’d be something to explore, too. If the Packers taught anybody anything last year is that depth is extremely important. I’m all over the board right now in my excitement.

49. Audible says:

Not to be greedy…but who else do you guys think the Seahawks could be targetting?

Does anyone have a transaction count yet? We haven’t even reached the point in camp where teams are cutting players.

50. Audible says:

Seems like Carlson to the Bears would be a likely scenario…They lost Olsen and there is the Ruskell connection…

I like the idea of getting a high draft choice for Carlson, if possible because I think we would do really well with Miller and Morrah.

Eh tu Bobby? Carson Palmer? (sigh)

52. grizindabox24 says:

Audible, I could see Carlson to Chicago, Cleveland, or NYG

53. ChrisHolmes says:

I’d love it if the “something big” was Orton…

And KEEP CARLSON! PLEASE! PC ran a ton of 2-TE sets last year. Having both him and Miller on the OL to run routes… I like the versatility and receiving threats. That set suddenly presents real matchup issues for opposing defenses.

54. I hope Schneider is dangling John Carlson in front of the Eagles right now and trying to find out what it would take to pry Asante Samuel away from them.

55. jawpeace says:

Not totally excited about this move. Yes it is a great move. I just like free agency pick ups to fill areas that are weak. TE was not a weak positon with
    John Carlson, Anthony McCoy, Cameron Morrah, Ryan Travis and Dominique Byrd. Now it is a Beast position. I guess that means Ryan Travis will not get much of a shot and probably be a practice squad player. Which he most likely would have been this year as a jump from division 2 to the NFL is very hard. But any player that can catch atleast ten catches a game has talent. Carlson is probably gone in next years free agency. And the field is open for a giant battle for the third TE spot.
    It is going to be good…..

56. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Noooooooo! Why is everyone so set on getting rid of Carlson this year. Keep Carlson and Miller both, so when one inevitably gets hurt we have a solid back up. And I know I’m repeating what’s been said already but I’m literally salivating over the idea of two tight end two receiver sets. No defense in the league can cover four receivers who measure ’6″4 or taller. I’m so excited! Suddenly, on paper at least, we have one of the better offenses in the league (at least on paper)!

57. Duke – I’m not really interested in Palmer. It’s more of a frustration with what we have now.

58. I don’t want Orton over T-Junk. Orton will cost a pick, but I don’t see either as that type of QB who is legitimately good on their own. We need to go QB hunting and only get one who will be good, not some retread (even if it takes until 2012 to get one). If Orton would come for free, then by all means I’d rather have him over T-Junk, but I want to keep all of our picks.

Hey, Duke — let’s get Favre!!!

I’m only kidding! lol

59. grizindabox24 says:

Displaced Hawk, you consider moving Carlson because he is someone that has value to other teams and because he is in the final year of his rookie contract and will most likely be allowed to leave after the year.

60. Uh-oh. Marshawn’s picture is up on the header now. First Matt… then Lofa… Hope Schneider doesn’t see this and decide to cut the Beast. We need our Bees Mo!

61. Audible says:

“he is someone that has value to other teams and because he is in the final year of his rookie contract and will most likely be allowed to leave after the year.”

That’s exactly why we need to find him a new home this year…I know it would be fun to see Carlson and Miller in two TE sets, but we still have more holes to fill, and he would be a luxury…

Miller upgrades the positions considerably (catching and blocking)…let’s recoup as much of that 2nd rounder as we can so we can par let that into either another young FA or a high draft choice next year.

62. chuck_easton says:

I’m going to take a big chance here and say that Lynch is safe up there at least for the year. I don’t see him getting cut or traded.

Now if we can keep his nose clean and his legs intact we can break the curse!

63. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

grizind, he still has value to our organization too, though. I could see trading him for something we really need–e.g., a better QB, or a CB, or DT, but short of that I say keep him.

I still say Balmer or Curry up there before the “curse” is broken.

65. grizindabox24 says:

Displaced, you move him to upgrade other positions and/or get picks for next year. There is no reason to keep Carlson if the Hawks can get anything decent in return.

66. Lost in all of this is Paul Allen. He will do anything and will let his football people do whatever they want to do financially to give us a winner. Just b/c we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet (and won’t with T-Junk), it’s certainly no fault of our owner. He does his part and I couldn’t be more appreciative as a fan.

67. HawkyHann says:

Carlson and Trufant, plus a 5th round pick for Osi. Just do it and lets win now. Compete, earn everything. Spending Paul Allen’s money is the best. I love our owner. If it doesn’t work out, no biggie. We have a surplus of ca$h!

68. grizindabox24 says:

Why would NYG want Tru?

69. devisscher says:

Zach Miller is a stud, love the signing

70. vancityhawk says:

I think it’s time to cool it with all the T-joke, T-junk talk. The guy hasn’t even taken a snap in a seahawk uniform. Let’s support this years team. I think the Seahawk staff knows what they’re doing a little more than some dude sitting in his mom’s basement.

71. Seahawkgo says:

Both Carlson and Miller, together monster O line, Beast mode, Rice, BMW, Tate, Hawks can beat any defense.

72. raymaines says:

The SeaHawks have seriously upgraded most offensive positions, but they were almost as bad as the Mariners and the QB position hasn’t been one of the upgrades. I can see how T-Jack fits better in the new system than Matt would have, but I’m still worried. I’d have more faith in PC & JS if they hadn’t been SOOooo wrong about Whitehurst.

And the defense really hasn’t been upgraded at all.

Still though, I’m optimistic about the new look 2011 ‘Hawks. I understand about Sam Bradford and all, but I don’t think St.Louis is still the favorite to win this division.

73. freedom_X says:

I don’t think the Bears will be that interested in Carlson because their offensive system doesn’t put much importance on the TE. They didn’t lose Olson – they got rid of him (traded him.)

The Browns might be a better bet, but how much value does a player have who’s only signed for 1 year? I do think though that most of the people here posting are underrating the skill of Carlson, unless you think Carlson has lost the talent he showed in his 1st 2 years.

I’d put Carlson’s trade value at 4th round, maybe 5th, due to the short term of his contract. That’s about what Josh Wilson brought.

I’d probably be inclined to keep Carlson though, unless Morrah or McCoy really show a lot. But I wouldn’t get carried away with the flashes we saw from them, especially if blocking is important to the new offense.

I’m so happy to see the Raiders shafted. Never did a organization that’s acheived so little been so arrogant (“we abstained from voting on the labor contract.”)

74. Kingpear says:

I would be surprised to see Carlson on the roster at the beginning of the regular season. He has not lived up to the hype the last two years.

Do I think he is done? No.

Do I think that Zach Miller is a huge upgrade at the moment? Ab-so-freakin-lutley! This kid is a stud, and just understands how to get open underneath.
    T-Jack will need this for sure until the O-line gels (Which will take some time with a 2yr, a 1yr and 2 rooks anchoring the line)

75. Kingpear says:

BTW… Does anyone think that Hasselbeck is sitting in Tennessee and saying WTF? Rice/Miller better than anyone he was throwing to last yr.

76. No Seahawk WR since Largent was anywhere close to Rice. Carlson was his best TE and now he’s second string. Add to the fact that Matt has had horsecrap left guards since the ’05 season ended, then yeah, I bet he’s staying “WTF?”

77. I think Carlson is better than Morrah – I also believe that out of anyone Carlson was the most misused player in the old scheme. Yes he dropped some passes last year but when you were drafted to catch and then do that a ton in year 1 then in year 2 you are asked to block and then in year 3 you are blocking and lining up as a fullback and blocking and oh as an after thought – go out for a pass. You can’t feel good about that – he is human afterall.

Miller, IMO, is a slight upgrade. He is a little faster, and a little better blocker, but with the exception of last year their stats are comparable with Miller slightly ahead.

would love the depth – would also love to see a 3 TE set with Carlson on one side and Miller on the other. The Defense would not know which to cover or not. OMG – the options you could have.

that being said if someone would be interested in Carlson I would be okay with that too, if you could package him and a mid round pick for a significant upgrade at another position or a straight up pick would be cool too!!!!1

78. keithanderson22 says:

now if we can sign somebody like osi umenyora, that would be awsome. Our recievers are solid but our d needs help at d line and lb position.

79. If we even think about trying to throw the ball to Robinson this year I might go ballistic. Do we need a FB cause I don’t think he fits the bill – not sure why we resigned him – OK blocker – not great – can’t catch anything!!!!!

Think about all the options you could run with Washington, and Forsett in the backfield, any combination of Miller, Williams, Rice, Carlson, Obo, and Tate all going out for a pass. you can’t double cover anyone. :)

Could be scary exciting!!!!!