A few minutes with Dominque Byrd

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm with 20 Comments »
August 2, 2011 1:42 pm

Looking to stick

Drafted in the third round by the St. Louis in 2006, Byrd, 27, has yet to stick with an NFL team after stops with the Rams and Arizona, including two years totally out of the league in 2008 and last year.

At 6-foot-3, 255 pounds, Byrd has shown flashes of being a legitimate receiving threat at tight end position during training camp, but will have to prove it once preseason play begins next week.

So has Byrd’s familiarity with Carroll at USC helped with the transition to Seattle?

“Not really,” he said. “I mean I know his style. Coach Carroll is a very enthusiastic guy. But as far as transitioning, it’s about coming into camp and being one of the guys. It’s great to be back in football, and you’ve got to be back in the groove and get right back into the playbook. And knowing Coach Carroll doesn’t help me study, so that’s really my focus.”

Not just a pass catcher

His size, good hands and speed would seem to indicate that Seattle will use the Byrd more in the passing game, but Byrd said he seeks to be an all-around player.

“I’m working on everything,” Byrd said. “As tight ends, we have to be able to block. We have to be able to run routes. We have to be able to line up in the backfield sometimes. So it’s kind of a position where we can’t let anything slack. So you can’t really play to your strengths, because one time I might be lined up on the line, the other time I might be in the backfield motioning. So everything’s important.”

Trojan reunion

Byrd joins fellow Trojans defensive back Josh Pinkard, receiver Mike Williams, linebackers Malcolm Smith and Mike Morgan and fellow tight end Anthony McCoy as USC products joining Carroll in Seattle.

“It’s great to see my Trojans out here,” he said. “It’s one big family. I was in L.A. in the offseason and seen a lot of guys, so again that helps some with the transition just to know some guys here. But as soon as you get into camp, the guys that are in the room become your boys, too. And with Anthony McCoy in the room that’s been great, too. Fight on.”

A team in transition

Team leaders Matt Hasselbeck and Lofa Tatupu are gone. And with only 16 players left from Seattle’s 2009 team that Carroll and general manager John Schneider inherited when they took over two years ago, Byrd hopes to be a part of this team’s new vision.

“Every year a team has to take on a new identity,” he said. “And as you go through camp, as you go through each one of these practices, every person shows their personality, and shows what kind of player they can be.

“So it’s kind of a proving ground for everybody. So since this is a new year, we’re still looking to find that identity, and all we know now is that we’re going to come out here, practice hard, service each other’s teams, and the leaders take care of themselves.”

General Seahawks
  1. ChrisHolmes says:

Trey Wingo’s twitter just said that Clayton said that we got Zack Miller…

God, to have to wait a whole year for a QB with this team… Please don’t get hurt Andrew Luck.

2. hawkforever21 says:

Being reported by Clayton and Sando that the Zach attack is coming to Seattle!!
    Wow, what an offseason!!

3. hawkforever21 says:

I think we have one hell of a supporting cast right now……only waiting for a QB to come and operate it!
    We won’t be bad enough to get Luck, so here’s hoping T-Jack can become the QB he’s capable of!

4. hawkforever21 says:

Seems to me that a little experience, combined with a pass rush…..and maybe a QB, and we’ve got some serious talent here. Enough to win the NFC West anyways, no matter how T-Jack or Charlie plays.

5. ChrisHolmes says:

Even if we can’t get Luck, next year’s draft appears to be very loaded with QB’s. I still think we’re a top 5 pick when the season is over, and that will be enough to get one of the premiere passers in next year’s draft. And of course, we might be able to package picks to get Luck, provided he doesn’t have a letdown like Locker did. Which may happen now that Harbaugh isn’t coaching Stanford anymore.

T-Jack will never be a great QB in the NFL.

6. Audible says:

Holy Shit…I saw a report earlier that said he resigned with Oakland…but yes trey and john clayton are saying we signed him…

7. hawkforever21 says:

If it’s true that they’ve signed him……

I can’t underscore how important Miller is to the Raiders. Besides being a great pass catching tight end, he is a solid blocker, and is a perfect safety blanket for quarterbacks. Given the Raiders offensive line problems, it is good that Miller was always available for a check down to avoid a sack. The Raiders still don’t have a marquee or even reliable wide receiver and without Miller their corps will be significantly weakened.

-a Raider’s fan’s perspective

8. hawkforever21 says:

….and I think he’s only 25…….

Okay, I’m done posting here………just a little excited about this season!

My goodness, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team rebuilt with quite this sense of urgency before in my life. And they’ll primarily all young. It’s not as if a bunch of old relics are being brought in for a one year run or anything this is being built to be competitive now and win championships soon.

10. Nice surprise if we get Zach Miller. I wonder if they will be shopping Carlson.

Also, I love hearing that Aubrayo Franklin is signing in New Orleans! This further weakens a Neeners team that seems to be stumbling a bit this offseason.

11. @Duke – Yes, Schneider and Carroll and absolutely sincere about going young with all the new guys! (with the exception of Gallery, of course, but Gallery seems a perfect fit for this team since he’s out there on the practice field right now coaching up the young linemen!) I’m gaining more faith in our FO!

12. we should look into trade with cleveland. they should draft pretty high. we might just get LUCKY

13. SandpointHawk says:

New post friends. Zach signed….

14. Could you package Carlson and a draft pick to get Samuel out of Philly?

although I would love having Carlson and Miller out there with Rice and Williams

15. hawkforever21 says:

5 years – $34 million – $17 million guaranteed………for Zach

16. hawkforever21 says:

Carlson, and Curry packaged together for something??
    A higher pick, a position of need, although I’m not exactly sure what that is other than a franchise QB or a pass rusher.

17. Unfortunately if we trade Curry we need a LB in return. running a little short at that position now

18. hawkforever21 says:

Seriously though, a solid needs draft, followed by a few signings of our own FA’s in Mebane, Leon, Hill (I s’pose)………Jennings (we’ll see)

Then some top notch FA’s in Gallery, Rice, and now Miller

A few “nice” additions in Branch, T-Jack, McCoy, Robinson, etc.

This could be a lot of fun this year!

Seriously gonna miss Matt and Tatupu though!!!!!

19. hawkforever21 says:

Sorry Robinson and Mccoy weren’t additions

20. akmac63 says:

Is Byrd too tall to convert into a fullback? That still seems to be a need, a dedicated FB to lead block.