Report: Tatupu asked to restructure contract

Post by Eric Williams on July 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm with 55 Comments »
July 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network is reporting that Seattle Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu is being held out of practice because the team wants to restructure his contract.

The team has not confirmed this report.

According to Brian McIntyre, Tatupu is owed five years and over $25 million remaining on his current contract, which includes a $4.35 million base salary and a cap number of $6.116 million.

Tatupu played all 16 games for the first time in three seasons in 2010. The USC product had offseason surgery on both knees in January.

Tatupu did not practice for a second straight day this morning, so we’ll see what happens this afternoon.

General Seahawks

This actually makes sense as opposed to him holding out for a new contract.

2. chuck_easton says:

Or Lofa is being held out so he doesn’t get injured while a trade is worked out? Just another thought.

Chuck – When I saw that he didn’t go again today, that was my first thought.

4. Soggybuc says:

I think this signals the beginning of the end for Lofa as our starting mike. sucks because as someone pointed out earlier his mental aspect of the game is better than ever but it was painful to watch him play at times last season.

I say that as someone who after he was drafted was excited as hell to have him when the majority of the fan base was calling an undersized midget who wouldn’t be able to play in the NFL.

5. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I like Lofa a lot. But it is what it is. Although he’s mentally sharp enough to deserve his salary, his body will no longer allow him play to his potential. I’d be sad to see him go, but if he doesn’t restructure his contract then, well, Hawthorne is capable of filling his shoes.

6. fuqutribune says:

Oops…time to change the banner? Nice jinx job.

7. Soggybuc says:

HMMM… had not even thought of a trade possibilty. could this be the makings of a Tatupu for Osi deal?

Trufant will be next.

9. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

On a side note, Carrol let Hasselbeck go, he’s now flirting with letting Lofa go, I say get rid of Trufant too, while he still has market value, so that we can adjust to all the changes at once. For better, or worse, the Seahawks are a different/new team under this Carrol regime. Carrol doesn’t have any affinity for the old players and if he’s going to get rid of them I’d rather he do all at once so that we as fans can adjust all at once to his changes.

If any team is doing a tank job for Luck, it has to be the 49ers! I hope Buffalo or Cincinnati wins that race!

11. freedom_X says:

I don’t think Trufant has any market value. No one is going to give anything up for him, not with that contract. Tatupu is similar, maybe because of his intelligence he might have some value, but not much as far as a trade goes.

There is no way the Giants trade Umeniorya for Tatupu. Even if Tatupu were 100%, he doesn’t fit the big LB mold of the Giants. And he’s far from 100% (of what he was 3 years ago.)

Definitely no one can accuse Carroll of being sentimental, or clinging to former cronies and players. He’s pretty ruthless if he doesn’t think the player or coach is returning value.

12. I hope Tatupu will regain his former playing abilities, I don’t want to see another one of my favorite players get cut so soon, I highly doubt it’ll happen though.

It will be interesting to see who wins the Suck for Luck race. Speaking of short term, Eagles just signed Cullen Jenkins, they seem quite eager to win something very very soon.

13. Looks like it’s time to change the new banner already…

This is something I speculated about earlier in the week. I think this is a smart move, sliding ‘Bane back to NT, at least until Cole is ready. Branch at 3-tech? That is a big dude at under-tackle.!/espn_nfcwest/status/97373908264689664

15. Anyone think we are going to be interested in Okoye? He is just 24 years old, he could be great depth on the D-line if he doesn’t want a huge contract.

16. chuck_easton says:

I suggest a former player who retired a Seahawk. How about Tobeck or Walter? Better yet not Walter since we don’t want to jinx his chance to get into the hall.

17. Soggybuc says:

Who knows what but i get this distinct feeling something shocking is brewing.

18. chuck_easton says:

I’m with you on that. I have a few theories.

1. A trade with the Eagles for Asante
    2. A trade with Denver for Orton
    3. A trade with the giants for Osi.

I put the eagles scenario at the top because they have three CBs and need LBs. That combined with Lofa being held out gets my attention.

Could it be that Tatupu just might be retiring?

Chuck- Tatupu just doesn’t have any trade value. Unless they are going after a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

21. This is the right move. But I wonder if they are trying to trade him or simply trying to have him take a pay cut.

22. Soggybuc says:

the Eagle thing makes sense. they are pulling out all the stops and looking to be the team to beat in the NFC this year and Lofa even slowed with the knee’s is still the best defensive QB in the league.

If anyone should be asked to rework their contract, it’s Curry.

I take that back! Desperate coaches will do desperate things and Reid is in desperate mode right now. The Eagles are the Jets of last year! Watch this all implode on them before the season ends.

25. Curry is young and improving (but at the slowest pace possible) and Tatupu is old and declining very rapidly.

Why would Lofa make sense for a team that’s looking to be the “team to beat in the NFC”, but not here?

27. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Dukeshire, I agree that Curry needs to restructure his contract too. However, I’m afraid that he’d probably go elsewhere. This is his third season, it’s about this time that players either figure things out or settle into mediocrity. I think that Carrol needs to give Curry this season to figure things out. If his performance doesn’t substantially improve I say trade him next year.

By the way, who’s the idiot that let Julian Peterson go? If it were up to me I would have kept Peterson and avoided signing Curry in the first place.

28. chuck_easton says:

According to their website the one GLARING hole the Eagles have is at MLB.

I’d hate to see Lofa go, but if it lands us a starting calibre CB. Maybe better to trade him now while he still has value.

Now Cullen Jenkins! Just Where are the Eagles getting their money from?!

I’m not questioning the decision to restructure Lofa’s contract, I’m saying Curry is grossly overpaid. He’s making top 10 LB money. The fact he’s young and “improving” (which I’ve seen little evidence of) is a peculiar rational.

I agree Chuck, only if Curry goes with him.

32. If the Seahawks could trade Tatupu for Samuel, that would be 2 years in a row the Seahawks fleeced the Eagles – which is pretty much unheard of.

33. 1. A trade with the Eagles for Asante
    2. A trade with Denver for Orton
    3. A trade with the giants for Osi.

4. A trade with Cincy to Palmer

Orton would be great but Denver doesn’t likely have interest in Tatupu. Cincy could realy use him.
    Osi reported to the Giants today

34. Soggybuc says:

They lost Stewart Bradley so they have a need for a Mike.

35. chuck_easton says:

You are just going to have to let the Palmer thing go. Not that it doesn’t make sense. It’s just that Brown appears determined to make an example of Palmer and let him retire before he trades him.

I wonder why training camp is closed to the fans all of a sudden today?

I’m not going to let this Palmer thing go until he signs the retirement papers.

38. HawkyHann says:

Great news. Next up, Trufant. Finally we’re making all the right moves.

Samuel’s a great corner and I like him but he has two things going against him for Carroll; he’s not a press corner and he’s a bit small. And those two things seem to be in direct conflict with the scheme and trend Carroll is establishing.

Georgia – I’m curious about that myself. Can you imagine coming in from out of the area, like many do, to attend today and have it shut down this late?

41. chuck_easton says:

You are probably right. But something is definitely going on.

Too many odd coincidences at the same time for there not to be.

We need to send a volunteer to VMAC to stake out the comings and goings!

42. Soggybuc says:

And Osi all of a sudden ends his holdout? things that make ya go hmmmm!

Chuck – Agreed, it feels odd. Like I said, I shared your thought about a trade initially, just not sure about Samuel.

44. SandpointHawk says:

If Tatupu goes (and he probably should, [as much as I love what he has done for us]) Curry will have no idea what to do. Trade Curry also…Restructure Tru also…. Teddy’s contracts are killers

45. Naturally, I would say Carroll values ability more than size so he would trade for Samuel if he felt he was still a Top 10 CB.

But that still doesn’t address the fact he’s not a press corner.

I would applaud a trade for Umenyiora. I imaging they’d play him at Leo. We could be looking at something like Red, Cole (upon returning) ‘Bane, Osi. Oh… that’s fun. (Sorry, couldn’t help but speculate about that one.)

47. SandpointHawk says:

DuKe~ That was fun…

48. Soggybuc says:

Please stop that Duke, not sure my heart can take that kinda of dreaming.

Did Samuel just get released?

50. SandpointHawk says:

With Pete’s head for football, Paul’s money and love of Seattle, and not to mention Trader John I think Duke is on the right path.. The pieces are falling into place friends….

51. freedom_X says:

Alan Branch doesn’t seem like a 3-tech to me. Not explosive, not the kind of guy to shoot gaps, make a blocker miss, and disrupt. He’s suited to push the pocket back and occupy space.

Samuel also doesn’t sound at all like a Carroll CB. He’s a bigger, better Josh Wilson. Gambles, jumps routes, looks to make plays, not a physical press coverage guy. He wouldn’t make sense to me.

Curry is a sunk cost. Most of his cap hit is in the bonus he’s already paid. It will only be possible to realize savings from his contract after his signing bonus amortizes and his base salaries jump up. Then they can get some cap savings there. Until then, there’s no point in selling low. Just stick with him and see if he comes around. Demote him if we have someone better.

He’s got way too much physical potential to throw away so soon, for no gain. If he had been playing for another team and got cut, I’ll bet a lot of people here would be clamoring for Seattle to pick him up. Familiarity breeds contempt.

52. The Eagles just traded DT Broderic Bunkley to the browns for a 5th rd pick!

53. Soggybuc says:

Excellent points freedom. by most consensus it is the third year where you see a player put it all together but some take another year. that could be Curry in a nut shell.

Curry’s base is $5 million this season. 10th highest for a LB in the NFL.

And I agree with the Branch assessment. Although this would seem to be simply a temporary situation while Cole is on the mend. Even still, with his size he ought to dominate one-on-one matchups against guards.

55. freedom_X says:

According to a TNT article on June 15, Curry is due nearly $10 million this year in bonus and salary. If none of that has been paid yet, then that’s going to be a strong sign whether the management believes in Curry’s potential or not.

If they don’t do anything with his contract, it will be a sign they still think he can be what he was drafted to be (and I’ve never heard of a high draft pick being asked to renegotiate only after 2 years.) Vernon Gholston is probably the only comparable precedent, and he lasted 3 years.

Now, if the ~5 million 2011 bonus is sunk money (i.e. he’s getting it no matter if he’s cut or not) then I wouldn’t expect a change even if he’s getting 5 million base.