Carpenter signs; Leroy Hill is back

Post by Eric Williams on July 29, 2011 at 8:33 am with 50 Comments »
July 29, 2011 8:39 am

The Seattle Seahawks announced several roster moves this morning.

First round pick James Carpenter signed his deal and could be out at practice this morning.

And in a somewhat surprising move, linebacker Leroy Hill re-signed with the Seahawks. Losing Will Herring in free agency to New Orleans may have created the need to bring back Hill who missed all of last season with a heel injury.

The Seahawks also announced that defensive back James Brindley, defensive tackle Barrett Moen and linebacker Joe Pawelek have been waived, and offensive tackle Stacy Andrews and center Chris White have had their contracts terminated.

NFL free agency
  1. grizindabox24 says:

BigMikeWill17 Tha FundRai$er
    by dannyoneil
    Leroy Hill n Mebane!!!!!

Great news on Carpenter! Let’s hope that Hill gets back to where he was a few years ago.

3. If Tatupu does not restructure, do we see him cut, with Curry, Hawthorne and Hill as the starters?

I don’t see Tatupu getting cut, however it should be interesting to see how are linebacker positions, will play out this year.

5. seatowntp says:

pabs, what did you slip in your coffee this morning? Although, I must confess, I had to sniff my coffee when I read the headline “… Leroy Hill is back” I certainly didn’t anticipate that.

6. How do they not ask Tatupu to restructure his contract? He is paid like a Top 5 MLB, but his performance the last 3 years hasn’t even been in the Top 15 or 20. Why would they resign LeRoy Hill? As mere depth or as leverage?

7. IdahoHawk says:

I get the feeling we are going to see a big trade soon (Curry, Tru.). No more Young talk he’s going to the Eagles.

8. grizindabox24 says:

I think they signed Hill as a body with upside because Herring signed with N.O.

9. I think Hill was ready to surprise people last year before he got injured. There’s no telling what will happen with him, but he could surprise again. The dude can thump, and he can pass rush too. As long as he’s off the ganja, welcome back, Leroy.

10. Also, should we assume Hill passed some kind of physical and he’s finally in decent playing shape again? I hope Tatupu restructures. Like most ‘Hawks fan, he’s been one of my favorites over the years, but he hasn’t performed well in about three years…

11. chuck_easton says:

I don’t care as long as we get to keep talking about REAL football moves.

Only 5 weeks to final Roster cuts. In PC and Schneider time that’s like a Century worth of potential roster moves to the normal front office.

Let the ‘games’ begin.

12. HawkyHann says:

Please trade Lofa and Trufant. Everyday I wake up hoping to see this. They are not good. Average at best, if that.

Leroy Hill. You have to be joking me. His season will end in a domestic abuse, drug charge, or injury. Guaranteed.

13. grizindabox24 says:

Lofa has no trade value and even if you would like Tru gone, the Hawks really have no depth at CB to move him

14. chuck_easton says:

Lofa is a smart player. He runs the Defence from the MLB spot.

Go back and look at the difference in how the Defence performs with and without him out there.

15. Tatupurules says:

Breaking news. Tatupu limps off the field today and looks like will be placed on the PUP list. I think his days are numbered.

I actually think the Hill re-signing signals a shift for Curry. If he manages to stay healthy, Hill is a significant upgrade to the Sam over Curry. My guess is that they either they are opening Sam to a genuine competition or are genuinely considering moving Curry. Either way, not a vote of confidence in him as I see it.

Lofa may be asked to restructure, but he’s won’t get cut.

What’s the hold up with Moffitt? Let’s get in here son.

17. PC seems less affected by off field issues than the TR was. I think PC likes “a horse with a little bit of spirit” as long as he responds to the reins, what he does the rest of the time is of less import.

Whoever said, “Moderation in all things, including moderation.” had it right. – I liked Ruskell’s stance, but, like anything, if you get too rigid you run the risk of losing more than you gain.

Hill needs to straighten up his act, no question, but I am happy to see him staying.

18. grizindabox24 says:

Doesn’t a player have to be placed on PUP prior to taking part in camp?

19. chuck_easton says:

He can’t go on the PUP list if he already practiced. So I don’t buy this.

20. SandpointHawk says:

All I heard Lofa apparently not at practice today….nothing about an injury…

21. grizindabox24 says:

I heard Lofa is at practice, but not practicing

22. SeahawkFan12 says:

Hopefully Hill will turn it around. This will certainly be a “defining” season for him from an off-the-field perspective. I’m stoked to hear that Carpenter signed; anxiously waiting on the official word about Mebane.

23. rramstad says:

I am anxiously awaiting news on Mebane too. It seems that the Twitterverse has decided that he’s resigning with Seattle, but I haven’t seen any semi-official confirmation, much less official confirmation.

24. SandpointHawk says:

My only source was a tweet so who the hell knows whats really happening….

25. Well >I< heard that Lofa asked Tru to homecoming, but Tru sort already promised to go with Justin, even though he is on the offense. SCANDALOUS!

26. Are Rice and Jackson at practice today? What’s up with Moffet?

27. grizindabox24 says:

Ray Edwards to ATL

28. grizindabox24 says:

I know that Rice and Jackson can not practice with the Hawks until next week, and would think they are not at the VMAC.

29. Why next week? Once they’re signed, which they can do today, they should be in camp.

30. grizindabox24 says:

Audible, it has to due with the start of the new league year is Aug 4. Any player that signs a new contract can not take part until then. It also comes into play with the Kolb deal. Kolb has to wait because of the new contract with AZ but Rogers-Cromartie can practice.

31. They can’t practice till next Thursday? What the hell kind of stupid-ass rule is that?! LOL Thanks, griz!

32. Jackson can still come in and work on film study and classroom work.

33. chuck_easton says:

No player signed off of free agency and no player that signs a new contract can officially practice with their respective team (except rookies who are signing their first contract) until August 4th.

TJack, Gallery, Hill, Rice and all the other players that are signing contracts today can be at the facility but they can’t participate until Thursday. That is league wide.

Hasselbeck can’t practice with the Titan’s until Thursday either.

34. ballgame says:

The August 4th date is the earliest. It is the expected date but no newly signed player can practice until the players reform as a Union so the start date may be after August 4th if the players drag their feet.

I still don’t understand how they could have a draft with an NFL lockout? That’s kind of Weird how the newly signed rookies can report now, but the newly signed free agents can’t! You would think that they could have had a little more common sense with that decision?
    Not given the free agents ample time to prepare before the first exhibition game could increase the risk of injury.

36. According to a tweet from a couple hours ago…

Dave Mahler
    League Source: Seahawks last night were “very close” with Brandon Mebane. Nothing finalized yet.

37. theReason says:

According to the ESPN FA tracker .. we signed Ryan Longwell … when did that happen? And is it our goal to sign all the Vikings free agents?? Can we snag Ray Edwards next then? :)

38. I think Duke is right, that Leroy Hill signing, plus KJ Wright, suggests that Curry now has plenty of competition. He might even be tradable if they act fast.

39. @theReason, it was reported yesterday that Longwell agreed to re-sign with Vikes.

40. We just signed a UDFA LB as well…maybe just camp fodder but this guy is an amazing athlete who, at his pro-day, put up numbers close to Von Miller:

I like rooting for these guys who come outta nowhere.

41. grizindabox24 says:

@theReason, and Edwards signed with ATL

42. Right now we have the 2nd youngest team in the league, according to Sando:

43. I’d heard Longwell re-signed with the Vikes

44. mojjonation says:

It would be great to be able to breathe for a second or two without someone throwing rumors around about who is going where and for how much. Much more important things need to be addressed. One of those things is who is going to replace MH as the banner for the TNT Seahawks section? With PC and JS, every day is a mystery. You never know who till be signed, traded, or released.

45. SandpointHawk says:

That Longwell to the Hawks has been there for two days now…it’s a mistake..
    Good put Curry on the banner so he can be traded or released….

There is a new post on today’s practice. I had to log on anew to see it. Refreshing didn’t show the link….

46. grizindabox24 says:

Just found out that spending determined at the end of the year, so that is when a team must be above the minimum

47. SandpointHawk says:

Yes griz, they changed the backload rules also, it’s now a cash floor minimum . We will see some contract extensions with bonus money paid in the current year if teams are under the cash floor…

48. I still hope the light will finally click on or Curry…sometimes it takes a couple of years for a player to “get it”. If we can get some of these guys to play up to their potential, and if we can stay healthy, we could have a solid defense this year.

49. freedom_X says:

Let’s see if Hill is willing to play on special teams and go all out. That to me would be a big test of whether he’s really trying to rebuild his career and restore his reputation. They need him to fill that role with Herring gone.

I’m pretty hopeful this year, the staff will figure out how to unlock Curry’s talent. Right now though, a team in need of a 3-4 inside linebacker ought to take a look at Curry. It’s the position where I think he could actually deliver return on investment the fastest.

50. SandpointHawk says:

Hass is off the banner….good choice for now….