Confirmed: OG Robert Gallery headed to Seattle

Post by Eric Williams on July 27, 2011 at 11:35 am with 25 Comments »
July 27, 2011 11:45 am
Oakland Raiders offfensive guard Robert Gallery (AP Photo/John Raoux).

According to a league source, the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to a deal with Oakland Raiders free agent Robert Gallery.

Gallery, 31, played for Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable while he served as head coach for the Raiders, and likely will be brought in to mentor a young, developing Seattle offensive line, lining up at left guard next to Russell Okung at left tackle.

Terms of the deal have not been disclosed, but it’s believed to be a three-year deal.

Drafted second overall by the Raiders in 2004, Gallery was expected to play left tackle, but never panned out there and moved inside to guard, becoming one of the better guards in the league. He started 91 games for the Raiders.

With Gallery in the fold, Seattle’s projected starting offensive line is as follows: LT, Russell Okung, LG Robert Gallery, C Max Unger, RG John Moffitt, RT, James Carpenter.

NFL free agency
  1. Great news! Sad to have lost both Herring and Mare, although I did expect it.

2. Who do they sign as Kicker now? Akers?

3. Gallery should be the veteran line leader they needed. Right on.

4. So, they saved money by not signing Mare and Herring. So who to spend it on? Sounds like they are serious about Sidney Rice.

5. Kind of hurts losing Mare – he’s been a reliable guy for us.

Would love to see us land Rice.

Exciting week around here . ..

6. If we sign Rice, I’ll be cartwheeling all the way across the Atlantic.

7. chuck_easton says:

Report is Mare signed a 4 year 12 million (3 million per season) contract. He’s a good kicker but that’s ALOT of doreme for a kicker.

8. SeahawkFan12 says:
  9. ballgame says:

Resigning Mebane and signing Rice would be a heck of a week.

10. They must be looking long-term even at the Kicker position.

11. Russell Okung, LG Robert Gallery, C Max Unger, RG John Moffitt, RT, James Carpenter, Forsett, Lynch, Williams, Rice(tbd), Tate, Carlson, QB(tbd)…sounds like we have the makings of a great young team.

I don’t know why so many people think we’re going to tank this year…we really have the potential to be much better than last year on both offense and defense, and especially if we can sign Mebane.

12. Is Gallery a repeat of the Mike Wahle/Ben Hamilton experiment? He is hurt a lot….

13. Naw Audible, they just don’t want to pay a kicker 12 mil over 4 years. Hopefully Akers is in the future.

14. Eric – good to hear you layin it down on KJR radio today.

So, with Gallery moving in at Left Guard, all I need now is Sidney Rice and Ray Edwards wearing Seahawks uniforms and I’ll be ready to get over that whole Hutch thing.

15. footballscaa says:

Good sign.

16. Rodman, he has missed 20 games in 7 seasons. That;s being “hurt a lot”??????

17. Maybe he was talking about his feelings? Gallery seems like he might be the strong sensitive type.

18. HawkfaninMT says:

@ Stevos:

Would you rather have Ray Edwards, or Re-sign Mebane and pick up Franklin or Jenkins to round out the inisde of the DL?

I would opt for the 2nd and maybe re-sign Brock to rotate in again

19. monmornQB says:

Nice. We have a nasty hard nosed verteran to help Cable bring this very young O-line along. In another season or two we should have a dominating O-line. Should be fun watching them come together.

20. Seahawkgo says:

O-line is ready to go to SB.

21. nighthawk2 says:

Missing nearly half of the last two seasons (14 games out of 32) qualifies as hurt a lot in his recent past, yes. Especially for a 31 year old lineman. I’ll reserve judgement until I see him play 16 games in a season. Seems like we’re getting a lot of retreads of assistant coaches former players.

22. Palerydr says:

Again I agree with nighthawk I think this was a bad signing and I’m definetly not gonna give Gallery the benefit of the doubt in anything. We better figure out a backup plan for him when he gets hurt and all indications to me are that he will be hurt at some point. I personally don’t think the guy is “nasty” at all but hey I’m not on the field with him so we’ll see. I think losing Mare and Herring are gonna be tougher to replace. Herring was excellent SP player and solid BU at all 3 LB spots. Mare was pretty clutch for a kicker. Akers won’t come cheap as he has made the pro bowl recently.

23. @ HawkfaninMT

I agree that signing Mebane is essential, no doubt. I’ve heard several teams are after him, including Holmgren in Cleveland.

Kris Jenkins? he’s 31 so, no. Aurbrayo Franklin? he’s a 2-gapper and we have Cole under contract. Our needs after signing Mebane are 5-tech and Leo, IMO.

Ray Edwards is young and long and fast and fits what Carroll likes in a Leo. I’d also like to re-sign Raheem Brock to back up Bryant at the 5-tech. Ideally Carroll would want someone bigger than Brock, but I’m not sure who else is out there who fits the 5-tech mold?

24. @nighthawk2

Gallery is an injury risk, true, but I’ll be very happy with Gallery if he simply gives us 12+ healthy starts and helps teach the young men – Okung, Unger, Moffitt, Carp – how to read defenses and how to block Tom Cable-style. If he does this, I think he earns his weight in gold.

25. Palerydr says:

Robert Gallery’s weight in gold =$8,300,841.60 US not sure he’s worth that but I think they are paying him more…..