Morning links: Debating Hasselbeck

Post by Eric Williams on July 26, 2011 at 6:43 am with 103 Comments »
July 26, 2011 6:43 am

Dave Boling of The News Tribune takes a closer look at the status of Seattle Seahawks free agent quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, weighing in on the merits of his staying with the team or leaving Seattle.

Teams can begin negotiating with unrestricted free agents this morning at 7 a.m. Pacific tie, and Hasselbeck’s status has been a popular subject both here on the blog and on the radio airwaves, with opinions nearly split down the middle on whether he should stay or go.

Boling: “So let’s seek clarity in this muddy debate.

“Hasselbeck will be 36 on Sept. 25 and has missed 13 games because of injuries the past three seasons while being an erratic contributor on bad teams.

“But after he went through an abysmal four-game stretch late last season with 12 turnovers, he rebounded with two marvelous playoff games (seven touchdowns and one interception).

“So, he’s been inspiring and infuriating.”

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times reports that the Seahawks will part ways with offensive tackle Stacy Andrews. This was expected. Seattle drafted James Carpenter in the first round to play right tackle, and Andrews was scheduled to make more than $5 million in base salary this season.

From Brady Anderson of ESPN 710 Seattle, ESPN’s John Clayton reports that Tarvaris Jackson could be offered a deal today.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look back at the franchise’s 2002 season.

Ben Malcolmson of Seahawks.com offers these interesting photos of Seahawks’ coaches and staff getting back to work.

Brad Biggs of the National Football Post writes there was confusion around the league as to win team could begin signing undrafted rookie free agents, which led to some teams getting a slow start on the process.

KJR 950 AM has some good audio interviews with players you should check out, including Charlie Whitehurst, Mike Williams and rookie John Moffitt.

Morning links

For those that want Hasselbeck out of here, be careful what you wish for. Arizona?San francisco?

2. IdahoHawk says:

Sign Hasselbeck. Draft QB next years draft. Simple

3. Palerydr says:

Hey Eric are you a fan of Twitter? I’m a skeptic not all that sure you can believe those posts. Do you have access to a transactions line? I assume you do. Gonna be a busy day for you.

I’m finally OK with MH leaving and I know I’m in the minority but I’m in favor of bringing in T Jackson. It’s time to turn the page and move on Thx for all the good memories. The guy they need to sign is Mebane. I also expect them to sign some UDFA DL. I also have been hearing rumours to the effect that OC Uminoura wants to come to Seattle probably because he sees we have cap room and is looking for a payday. That would require a trade so we’ll see.

4. I also prefer we sign Hasselbeck, if only to avoid having a ‘bridge’ quarterback to get us through until we find our next franchise QB.

If I am GM, I leave it up to Hass, if he will sign for a reasonble rate we keep him. Otherwise we sign a bridge QB like Tarvaris Jackson and start looking ofr a franchise QB in next years draft.

5. Everyone is making good sense here, on this blog at least

One possibility is that the Seahawks are simply using John Clayton, feeding the TJack story to him to put it out there as a negotiating tool to get Hass re-signed at a bargain.

The other possibility is that John Schneider wants to save his money for one of the QBs in the 2012 draft, and Pete Carroll has decided it doesn’t matter which QB he loses with in 2011.

If Seattle is truly interested in Jackson, I wonder how much influence Bevell has in that decision. That is, would they likey be looking into him without Bevell’s presence or are they intrigued by him regardless?

7. Soggybuc says:

While John and Pete have the final say on any moves it would suprise me greatly if they dont give credence to the staff members involved. such as cable will be involved in the decision on LG and not simply told here this is your guy deal with it.

8. Palerydr: We have access to the transaction wire but it’s not updated as frequently as the reports on twitter, which I think is a necessary evil in terms of our job because of the speed of which things are reported there.

I don’t think the Tarvaris Jackson talk is speculation. Seattle has real interest in him because they believe his skill set is a good match and he still has potential to be a good quarterback.

9. Titans are preparing a HUGE contract offer for Hass.

10. Eric, thanks for chiming in on that with your inside perspective.

It will be hard for me personally to see Matt’s departure, but I also think Tavaris Jackson makes more sense than any other stop-gap QB option available.

11. It looks like TJack will be the guy and Duke and I will be even in terms of bets, 1-1.

Hasselbeck gives you 2 good/great games for every 6 bad games he gives you. Everyone remembers the 2 great games (and they are really good ones) but chalks up the bad ones to everything but the QB. He can manage the 2 great games because of his great veteran savvy but his physical skills are poor enough that the 6 bad games always resurface.

If you want consistency from Hasselbeck, you just can’t ask him to do that much. In this fantasy driven NFL, only the Jets can manage to make the playoffs by minimizing the QB – but I don’t see a Revis and Ryan on the Seahawks.

12. jchawks08 says:

Ugh. I take it back. Hasselback is as good as gone. Not sure, but I think I’m OK with that. Just another year of low expectations for the Hawks. Oh well. Go T-Jack, Whitehurst, Leinart, Kolb, Palmer, any other crap QB you can name. Bleh.

13. Ewalters7354 says:

It feels so good to be talking football again!!….I am hearing that Antonio Cromartie is considered an option of interest.I would absolutely love that signing.That would give us another playmaker in the secondary.It’s also important that we bring back Mebane.He is gonna get alot of interest which may result in him leaving,so that concerns me.With that being said,let the drama begin!

14. EyeAmBaldman says:

If we sign TJack, then we’re guaranteed a high draft pick next year. Of course, with Hass, the same could be said…might as well pay for the cheaper and one and get a good pick. Is this logical, no, of course not and I doubt teams think this way, but it is what it is.

15. Soggybuc says:

Looking at the limited stats of both CW and Tjack they look pretty even and Charlie has a good shot at taking the starter job imho, real competition at the spot.

16. HawkfaninMT says:

I would have to say that it looks like Hass is going to be hitting the road. Even if the Hawks do want him back, I would think that one of the teams (Titans, Niners, Cards, Fins, etc) is going to offer him a lot more than we will. So long 8, its been real!

So to move onto the next option that seems to be trending today… Tavaris Jackson. I haven’t watched much of him, so why is everyone so down him? What does he do so wrong? Is it Ints? Poor touch? What I know is that he is athletic, has starting experience, is very well versed in the new offense, and has a rapport with a FA that could be very inviting to the hakws (Sidney Rice)… So please fill me in on the hate, Thanks!

17. Everyone is saying Hass is all, but gone. Great, the Hawks are going to have two QB’s that are going to be overwhelmed and lost competeing for the starting job. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a felling this is going to be a long, long season of frustration. Maybe Washington can win some games on his own again and at least give us something to look forward too. Yeah, we’ll end up with a high draft pick, but hell no it’s not worth it to have to suffer through a garbage year. I like watching football on Sundays, every Sunday, I just can’t skip a year and be excited about a high draft pick, that’s f…’n ridiculous. Anyways, at least we do have some youngsters on D and OL to be watchin’ out for.

18. T. Jack can’t read D and especially the blitz. He’s lost when a D moves around and especially when they bring pressure.

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Looking at his stats just now:

Comp 58.7
    Yards 3,984
    TD Int 24 22

Over 20 games is pretty underwhelming. He had a good OL and strong running game for most of those years with little help at the WR position as far as it looks. Rice was in his rookie year for one of them if memory serves me. Hmm… Yeah it looks a lot like Charlie to me

20. Ewalters7354 says:

Good luck Titans giving a huge contract tobacco great leader with veteran savy and a noodle arm.I love Matt Hasselbeck,but we are absolutely not going to win man games with or without him.He has the potential to win and also lose games for a team.If you really look at it he only had 5 good games later season.Cards,Saints twice,Bears twice.So while it will hurt to see him leave we are really not losing anything.

21. I picture Senaca running out of bounds for a lost.

22. Well the Minnesota OL may not have been that good of a pass blocking line. And don’t forget those stats are when he was in his 1st, 2nd and 3rd years.

I’m not saying he is or isn’t the answer, but comparing a QB in his first few years with one that has played over a decade should always favor the veteran.

23. Let me correct that. I do think MInn did have a good pass blocking OL, but it just wasn’t elite.

24. Like others, I don’t particularly think Hass is that great, but for this team, I honestly believe he gives us the best chance to win. If this were a different team then yeah, peace out, but for the Hawks, I don’t know, I just feel its going to get really ugly without him.

25. HawkfaninMT says:

I am not saying the season is lost by any means if Hass leaves. It isnt like he is Peyton Manning or an elite QB. Seriously where is the drop in talent that everyone is seeing here that I am missing. Yes Hass is a saavy veteran that can read a defense and has a few good games a year. But Zorn can read a defense too, that doesnt mean he should be brought back to play QB! I am not a Hass basher because for the right price I would love for him to back. But I dont fee like there is as big of a drop from Hass to some of these other QBs like Orton, Jackson, Young, McNabb as some others here do

26. I think the reason why everyone thinks the Seahawks are doomed without Hasselbeck is because we have quickly forgotten the 10 blowout losses, the 8 close wins and playing in one of the worst divisions in NFL history with that magnificent game Hasselbeck had against the Saints.

27. I meant to say we replaced all those bad memories with that Saints Wild Card game. My posting abilities are in pre-season also, apparently.

28. Just asking, but who thinks the Hawks would even got to play that crazy ass Saints game in the playoffs at Quest last year if we didn’t have Hass. Are the Rams, Niners and Cards going to be that much better that we shouldn’t even try to repeat what we did last year. Look at the Rams schedule, they got screwed this year, the niners dont’ have a QB and a first year coach, and will Kolb live up to all the hype with such a short offseason (if they even land him). Anyways, it sounds like Hass is gone regaurdless, so whatever. Go hawks.

29. That one game with the Saints alone made up for those 10 losses. Would it of been better overall to have 10 close losses and not have that Saints game?

Actually, I don’t think that’s it at all. I believe people fret about Seattle being “doomed” without Hass for ’11 because he’s all so many fans have known. In addition to being the QB during the teams greatest success, if even several years ago. It’s a classic known vs unknown situation. People are inherently resistant to change, IMO.

31. HawkfaninMT says:

@TruBlu:

I dont understand your reasoning. Do you truly think that Hass is that much better than some of the FAs out there? TJack, and possibly Orton, McNabb and Young? I just dont see that he is

32. Maybe, those games were some of the most frustrating to watch to be honest. But that Saints game was biblical.

33. Ewalters7354 says:

TruBlu,the last couple seasons it has been ugly with him.I’m just saying.

34. In a lot of ways that one Saints game did make up for those 10 losses.

But last year was such a unique year in NFL History as far as historically bad divisions, I don’t see that repeating for a very long time. And I don’t want to move forward counting on such a unique circumstance. If last year’s team played in the AFC West of the 80s and 90s, they could have easily finished 4-12.

35. For this year, I do. I feel his presence and leadership with THIS team is what would lead to a better season then by bringing the likes of T. Jack, Orton, McNabb (who is injured just as much and played with much more talent), V. Young (headcase), or whoever to compete with Whitehearse. Next year trade up up if need be and grab that franchise QB who will have the whole offseason to work with whoever the QB is and have an OL with a year under their belt to help save his ass or whatever. This year, like I said, I think Hass is still the best option to a successful year.

36. Ewalters7354 says:

TruBlu,you are cherishing one game that was a classic and I agree it was a great game but lets not forget the games we would have been competitive in if not for ints.

37. HawkfaninMT says:

Well to each their own. I think that is where you are meeting with so much opposition here though. I dont think your opinion is the majority on this blog. In my opinion he may be the best option to win this year and he may not. That small disparity though is not worth the contract demands that will have to be paid to him over TJack or Young to come in and give a similiar chance at winning.

Kudos to you though for having an opinion and standing by it

38. Bengal’s Owner Brown told ESPN reporter Walker that Carson Palmer is Retired!

39. The reason I want Mathew back is this.
    His leadership, His veteran savy to install an Offensive system that will move this franchise forward. His win,loss td’s,and interceptions are not a concern but the Hawks taking a huge step backwards with QB the likes of Jackson or whitehurst is simply something the Hawks can’t afford. The Hawks are going to loose alot this season regardless of who is over center. But building a system and Franchise of success could only be shouldered by Mathew. He understands both sides of the ball. I’m certain that Jackson and Whitehhurst lack the metal to Lead.

40. The P-I reports the Hawks have siged a 2ND UDFA QB Josh Portis Cal (Pa).

41. eyeland, you make good points. However, I am now steeling myself to give up the ship on Matthew and move on.

I agree Matt’s leadership would help our offense improve more this year than any other QB available. The two problems with that plan are (1) much of that leadership would be exercised during practice or during games where he is on the sideline injured again, and (2) by not signing Matt, we will add one additional high-priced free agent who will still be on the field a couple years from now supporting the new franchise QB drafted in 2012.

Aaron Curry: Y’all think we go break last years record for roster changes this year?
    Just hope I don’t get caught up in them.

43. MIN could have re-signed TJax, instead they’re rumored to want Matt to mentor and start. We’ll see. TJax is a backup QB. He’ll beat out CW because of CW’s poor short to intermediate accuracy, but sounds like we’ll be playing with a slightly larger SW at QB, giving about the same performance as in ’08. 4-12 ’11 season, just outta reach of both Luck and Barkley in the ’12 draft.

SEA/MIN ’10 Stats (ProFootballFocus)
    Overall Offense: SEA 19th, MIN 27th
    Pass Offense: SEA 20th, MIN 30th
    Pass-blkg: SEA 1st, MIN 15th
    Run Offense: SEA 13th, MIN 2nd
    Run-Blkg: SEA 27th, MIN 28th
    Offensive Penalties: SEA 11th, MIN 31st

44. Those stats don’t make sense. Seattle Pass blocking number 1? The Seahawks run offense number 13?

Stevos- That’s a good point about freeing up more money to sign a younger healthier free agent.

I know Hasselbeck is not our qb of the future, however look at what Warner did for Arizona, and now look where Arizona is without him.
    Good qbs are hard to find. Especially ones with high football IQs.

This division has a very good chance to go sub 500 again this year. And the difference could be one savvy old QB.

46. pabs-
    Yes, those averaged numbers include regular plus post season numbers.

klm – With due respect, those numbers don’t reflect the play on the field, in any way. It’s not often, but I have to agree with Pabs here.

48. Duke-
    the numbers are not accurate(?) or are slanted(?) or (?)
    Numbers is numbers.

49. grizindabox24 says:

I think the Hawks should resign Hass. He is the unquestioned leader, and I feel his interception numbers were inflated more to a lack of a running game and large deficits than anything. The team seems to rally behind him. I thin VY is a poor choice, I do not think he has the mental part of the game, and Tavaris just does not seem to understand and recognize a defense, and really struggles. As for Orton and Palmer, I do not see either as that much of an improvement, especially if the Hawks have to give something up to acquire them. I see Hass as the best option with what is available.

50. Seahawkgo says:

Sing Matt to get first rond pick next year.:)

51. SandpointHawk says:

Here is a list of the undrafted free agents currently linked to the Seahawks.

S Ricky Thenarse, Nebraska
    CB Jesse Hoffman, Eastern Washington
    OT Brent Osborne, Harvard
    WR Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State
    S Jeron Johnson, Boise State
    S Ron Parker, Newberry
    DT Ladi Ajiboye, South Carolina
    LB Michael Morgan, Southern California
    WR Doug Baldwin, Stanford
    DE Pierre Allen, Nebraska
    OT Zach Hurd, Connecticut
    QB Josh Portis, California (PA)
    FB/TE Ryan Travis, West Liberty

52. Seahawkgo says:

Sign Matt then Hawks good to go nowhere

53. Seahawkgo says:

Sign Matt then Hawks good to go … but no SB

klm – Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I’m sure using whatever metric they did, the numbers are accurate. However, they have no relation to quality of football, that is, they don’t accurately reflect the play on the field, IMO. And at best, they are contradictory. Minn had the 2nd best rushing offense but 28th ranked rush-blocking…? Sure.

55. Thx Sandpoint…

56. Hass is gone there is no debate. I do not like T. Jackson I think we should get Orton. He can start this year is far better than CW or TJ and can start again next year when we need to groom the next first round bust. We should not fear Hass going to SF or Arizona, Hass is on a steep decline and will not improve those teams. We should fear Orton going to SF or ARZ. Wigout

I see Tolzien signed with the Chargers. I thought he had agreed to terms with the ‘Hawks. That’s too bad, he has some tools. He is at least worth a flyer, IMO.

“Numbers is numbers.” Stats never tell us the whole story. I will never be influenced by stats after seeing the Chargers lead the NFL last year in total yards #1. And lead the NFL in fewest yards allowed #1. And then not make the playoffs.

59. grizindabox24 says:

Jeff McLane tweeted in the past hour that Seahawks are in play for Kolb, and don’t sleep on the Seahawks.

60. The Chargers really did have one of the best defenses and offenses in the NFL last year. But their Special Teams were 1997 Seahawks like. Only Dave Arnold would have been proud.

61. SandpointHawk says:

Football Outsiders has the Hawks at 14th pass blocking and 28th run blocking…

True, Washington beat the Chargers almost all by himself. At least our special teams are better now then in 97.

Against SD, if Seattle would have managed to move the ball at all, the defensive numbers would have not been nearly as skewed. They were forced to play bandit, dime; essentially a prevent for nearly the entire second half simply in an effort to run time off the clock.

64. grizindabox24-
    I agree about Hass, but there’s something else they’re not telling us. Gotta be.

You from Montana? Was Justin Roper your school’s QB? Anybody gonna pick him up as a UDFA?

65. grizindabox24 says:

klm, never impressed with Roper a single bit. Someone may take a flyer on him, but I would not expect much.

66. HawkfaninMT says:

Roper better find some pics to blackmail someone if he wants to get picked up. That season went to crap after Selle got hurt. If he were healthy I could see a team taking a flyer on him.

Ropers best asset was handing it off to the best RB to ever play for the Griz

67. grizindabox24 says:

Saw reports that Zac Lee will also sign with Hawks

68. Ahhh, football. :D

Good to be back.

69. Sandpoint-
    Football Outsiders uses reg season sacks allowed per pass play percent to determine overall OL performance. ProFootballFocus uses sacks, hits (75%) and pressures (75%) allowed plus penalties, and that can be adjusted for reg season, post season and all games (or any particular game). I like Focus vs Outsiders numbers for pass-pro, but a combination of both for OL run-blkg.

Duke-
    When I grew up my dad taught me to use a screw-driver to my ear to hear an engine, to listen and adjust the timing. It worked. My dad was always better at it than me, he’d had more practice. Then we got timing lights. Follow the manual “6 degrees BTDC” and look at the mark, you could see when it was right on. Easy. Now we have computers. Maybe there’s still some guys who trust their ears more than the machines, but there probably aren’t too many. In football terms my eyes will never be as good as your’s nor maybe most of the other posters on this blog, but when I see the numbers that disagree with the comments it gives me pause.

If stats are used to promote one alternative over another throw them away. If they are applied equally in an attempt to ferret out the truth of competitive alternatives in a complex environment, then I’ll use them until better ones come along. They’re an aid to my understanding. Again, my eyes sometimes see what I want to see and my heart can be influenced to want to see things that aren’t necessarily there. That’s why stats are important to me.

70. Out of all the QB’s out there if Hass is gone, I would go for McNabb then Orton, I think the worst case scenerio would be swoopin’ Kolb for some draft picks, having him bust and see Carol and Schneider run out of town. Stay away from Kolb please, to much of a gamble for the price, we can take a risk on a QB next year for a single pick.

71. Football talk is awesome – but I am really tired of the Hasselbeck speculation. At this point I couldn’t care less whether he stays or goes, just get it over with so we can move on with or without him.

Yawn….. but please sign Mebane and Mare.

72. grizindabox24 says:

I think McNabb is done, if they are going in a different direction than Hass, I would hope it would be younger.

73. Well, since QB is the most important position on the feild 99.9% of the time, I can see why the debates are still rockin’.

74. Younger will be next year, we need someone to come in and give us a chance so we don’t get destroyed and lose all the positive momentum from last year.

Here is a list of signed undrafted free agents(unofficial) for all NFL teams.

76. grizindabox24 says:

Tru, but I think McNabb would come in, suck horrible, and all momentum would be lost anyway. I see Hass as the only chance to even carry momentum unless they grab lightning in a bottle and a QB leads them to a very good season. But I think the Hawks are a 4-5 win team no matter what this year, so might as well go young.

77. I like the Portus signing…. Can’t blame the guy for transfering out if he was to play behind Tebow…. Looks like a smart move on his part….
    Also, on that UDFA list, note there are 3 more safeties… makes me wonder if they’re for practice purposes only or squeezing a replacement for Tru….

78. Yeah I feel ya, the Hawks are probably going to lose momentum this year, but T. Jack, that’s just scary. McNabb might be done, but he can go in and at least act like he knows what he’s donin’, maybe give CW some pointers then pass the reigns till we draft a QB next year.

klm – I like that analogy. And I think you hit the nail on the head when you said they are an “aid to your understanding”. We all learn and digest things differently. If statistical breakdowns help further your enjoyment and understanding then by all means, use them. I could stand to educate myself further regarding the metrics and various formulas some use to achieve these rankings, no doubt. And I use stats myself to argue certain points and break things down. My only real point here is that games are so nuanced and complex that a “simple” ranking doesn’t necessarily reflect accurately what’s being done on the field so I tend to look at then critically.

I could ease up on my criticism of stats, certainly. But let’s try to understand why the engine needs tuning before we allow an algorithm to tell us it’s necessary.

Related News:U.S. Sports .Want to save this for later? Add it to your Queue!
    Harvard Lineman’s Drive to `Punish’ Lures NFL Scouts Scouring Ivy League
    QBy Curtis Eichelberger – Sep 15, 2010 9:46 AM ET .
    inShare.0
    Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email ..Enlarge image
    Harvard University’s Brent Osborne Dave Silverman/Harvard University via Bloomberg
    Harvard University football player Brent Osborne.

Harvard University football player Brent Osborne. Photographer: Dave Silverman/Harvard University via Bloomberg
    .Harvard University football player Brent Osborne says his dream jobs are playing professional football and running a technology start-up company. He may do both.

When the Crimson begins its 2010 Ivy League football season Sept. 18 at home against Holy Cross, National Football League scouts and college football analysts will be tracking the progress of Harvard’s 6-foot-5, 295-pound right guard.

“I know I have a shot,” says the 21-year-old senior. “I have to take it.”

Osborne is one of a handful of Ivy League players who may attract the attention of scouts this season, said Ross Tucker, 31, a former Princeton University offensive lineman who played seven seasons in the NFL. Osborne can overcome predispositions against players from a league better known for producing presidents than linemen.

“Normally the way is to have a very physical, violent temperament on the field,” said Tucker, who works as an analyst on Ivy League telecasts on Comcast Corp.’s Versus network. “He has that.”

Another player who might attract the NFL’s attention is Yale University senior defensive tackle Tom McCarthy, who had 21 solo tackles and three quarterback sacks last year. McCarthy will lead the Bulldogs against Georgetown University Saturday in New Haven, Connecticut. Tucker says he would probably be converted to a defensive end or outside linebacker at the pro level.

NFL Lineup
    The eight Ivy League schools play in college sports’ second-largest football division, don’t offer athletic scholarships and won’t usually face the nation’s top teams or players. To get the NFL’s attention, players have to have spectacular seasons, scouts said.

Three of the past five presidents have undergraduate degrees from Ivy League schools. Barack Obama graduated from Columbia University in New York and George W. and George H.W. Bush from Yale.

Welcome to the Seahawks Brent Osborne.

Osborne has the attitude for success, said Harvard coach Tim Murphy.

“You have some linemen in college who block people, but it’s an entirely different type of kid who tries to punish people,” Murphy said. “He’s that type of player. He has that type of physicality. He has the potential to be that kind of player.”

Sorry, lol. I was only trying to post the last paragraph.

82. ” John Clayton of ESPN said on ESPN 710 Seattle today that he expects free agent quarterback Tavaris Jackson to sign with the Seahawks by Tuesday night.”

83. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

.excited to have something real to talk about.

84. freedom_X says:

On 710, I’ve heard that Seattle will make no offer to Mebane. If true, that confirms my suspicion that Mebane is not a Carroll type player (aka “Josh Wilson” syndrome.)

Also, they said Sidney Rice will not allow a team to run physicals on him. If you want to sign Rice, you have to sign him without being able to check him out medically.

85. The rumors of Sidney Rice are interesting. The Seahawks WR corps of 1-Rice, 2-Obomanu, 3-Williams and 4-Tate would be pretty formidable.

That would be fun, but Tate’s anything but a sure bet with Kris Durham here.

87. 19 free agent signed–
    QB Zach Lee Nebraska
    WR Ricardo Lockette Fort Valley State
    LB Deron Minor McNeese State
    LB Mike Morgan USC
    G/C Brent Osborne Harvard
    CB Ron Parker Newberry
    QB Josh Portis California (Pa.)
    S Rickey Thenarse Nebraska
    TE Ryan Travis West Liberty

88. Soggybuc says:

Thats a hell of a list for the first day, camp is going to be a lot of fun once again.

89. Danny O’Neill just finished a live chat and confirmed that Hass will not re-sign in Seattle

90. freedom_X says:

I don’t think the current staff has given up on Tate. They still have high hopes for him. It’s way too soon to close the book on Tate. WR’s often take a year or two to transition from reliance on superior athleticism to craft and knowledge of the offense.

91. And if the plan is to bring in Leinart as well to make it a 3 way competition, I don’t understand why they didn’t bring him in last year and get a jump on the evaluation.

92. SandpointHawk says:

This is more fun than a clown on fire…Finding it hard to believe about Bane…Our D Line needs some free agents…But with Trader John and Pete in overdrive, don’t believe all the rumors and don’t be surprised who they sign. They are masters of misdirection…

93. grizindabox24 says:

Danny O’Neill also said that resigning Mebane was a priority for the Hawks.

94. williambryan says:

tate is as sure of a bet as there is on this team. Obo would leave before tate would.

95. klm, You know those stats don’t mean much. The offensive statistics for MIN is a compilation of 3 different QBs. That’s one reason they don’t mean much. Also, anyone who thinks Seattle had the #1 O line in pass-pro last year is smoking crack. None of the QBs of RBs who had to play behind that line would agree with that stat.

96. I’d be happy if we took some of MINs talent off their hands.

If we can sign Ray Edwards to rotate with Red Bryant at 5-tech, sign Sidney Rice to be our #1 WR, and sign Tavaris Jackson to throw to Rice, then I’ll feel fine about not paying Hasselbeck.

97. or more likely Edwards would rotate with Clemmons at the Leo, in any case, he should be a target for us.

98. John Clayton released the NFL-WEST Rookie Signing Pool Today.

San Fran. $6,935,903

Arizona $6,919,002

Rams $5,084,065

Seahawks $4,933,606 This includes nearly $1.39 million for 1ST round pick Carpenter. The total is about $27.1 million over the lives of the contracts,including about $7.6 million for Carpenter.

99. freedom_X says:

I’m glad to hear about Mebane being a priority for Seattle – quite the opposite of what 710 was saying this morning. I personally can’t see why they wouldn’t be interested in one of the few 4-3 tackles around who can play.

I’m not so sure about Edwards. He’s always benefited from playing across from another pass-rushing force. If they do pick up him, they shouldn’t pay him like a upper-echelon pass rusher. I think his productivity will drop a ton if he’s drawing the main attention from the blocking scheme. But perhaps he fits Carroll’s system well.

100. Bring back Mebane = FIND one other for the DL…..

Lose Mebane = FIND TWO other’s for the DL…..

101. Sign Mebane = Still need One more BTA DL guy,,,,,

Don’t sign Mebane = We need TWO BTA DL guys!

BTA = Better Than Avg (What else?!) ;-)

102. Ooops…. sorry for dbl post…