Morning links: Still no deal

Post by Eric Williams on July 23, 2011 at 9:08 am with 40 Comments »
July 23, 2011 9:08 am
NFL Players Association President Kevin Mawae, center, arrives at the NFL Players Association offices in Washington, Tuesday, July 19, 2011, as talks to end the NFL football lockout continue. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Mark Maske of the Washington Post provides the latest update on the NFL labor situation, which includes player mulling over the conditional CBA proposal agreed upon by owners on Thursday.

Maske says players have calmed a bit after being angered by the owners’ agreement to a proposal that according to the players included several ancillary issues that were not collectively negotiated.

Maske: “In the players’ view, some provisions, including drug-testing matters and pension issues, cannot be negotiated until the players re-form their union, which they dissolved in March the day before the lockout began.

“The players’ side also believes the process for re-forming their union and ratifying the deal should be different from what the owners have set forth. The players think it could take as long as two weeks to complete the proper steps to re-form the union, while the league, which never accepted the union decertification as valid, asserts it could happen in short order.

“The players want the two sides to work out a settlement of the players’ antitrust lawsuit against the owners first and the NFL to lift the lockout at that point.

“Under the players’ plan, free agency would begin and teams would open training camps while the players are in the process of re-forming their union, and the collective bargaining agreement could be completed after the union is re-formed.

“According to several reports, the players also are interested in adding an opt-out clause to the deal that could be exercised after seven seasons.”

While the players and owners still have some work to do, Steve Wyche of NFL.com reports the two side have agreed upon the overall economics of the proposal,

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reviews the franchise’s strike-shortened 1982 season, which included the firing of Seattle’s first head coach, Jack Patera.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times catches up with Seahawks fifth-round pick safety Mark LeGree, who had to go back to a summer construction job that he finished on Thursday because of the lockout.

Bucky Brooks of the NFL Network pegs Kyle Orton, Donovan McNabb and Tarvaris Jackson as possible solutions for Seattle’s quarterback situations if Matt Hasselbeck is not brought back.

Nate Davis of USA Today takes a look at the top guards and centers available once free agency begins.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle discusses five ways to improve Seattle’s defense, including restructuring Marcus Trufant and Lofa Tatupu’s contract, freeing up more money for the team to spend in free agency.

Huard and Mike Salk of ESPN 710 Seattle talk to Seahawks receiver Mike Williams about the lockout and the possibility of Tarvaris Jackson playing in Seattle in this audio link.

Morning links
  1. 1.The NFLPA does not meet until Monday.
    2.The Owners will not lift the lock-out until The executive board approves the settlement of the brady case and the Doty TV case.

2. Bronco’s on a hot seat…
    Thomas says he left Cox’s apartment after the victim passed out.
    She claims to have been drugged and unknowingly had sex with Cox; a DNA test later confirmed he impregnated her. One heck of a way for Cox to start a family.
    Bronco starting CB Parrish Cox

WR Demaryius Thomas met the victim at a nightclub and took her to Cox place. Why would Thomas leave her there when she passed out? If she was drugged he either did it, was an accomplice to it or was there when it was administered.

Moving on… wish they would confirm this deal so we could see what kind of Seahawk team we’ll be cheering. On the cusp of the first preseason game with one QB on the roster, the D line in disarray with starting DT Cole likely on PUP after having surgery and Mebane unsigned. Hope Schneider lands some decent FA’s to fill these holes.

Isn’t that an uncomfortable feeling; they’re be 2 weeks (give or take) of camp before the first preseason game and just one QB on the roster to start. Looks lie CW will be getting plenty of reps to start…

NFL Network is reporting that the players are prepared to pass the CBA pending the league’s approval of some change in the language. So worst case is that we’ll see the players first counter proposal, even though the major framework of the deal will remain unchanged. League year would then begin Wednesday and camps Friday.

The Brady case plaintiffs, namely Mankins and Jackson, have also rescinded their individual requests for concessions. A very good step toward a settlement.

Let’s all get really excited again only to have no deal. Who’s with me?!

5. Major Progress Made Today!

That was a reveling slip-up. lol

Eric, are you ready for some double time?

I can feel the avalanche of Seahawk news about to begin, and this has been a long overdue fix for everyone!

Damn right I’m ready for some football! (I’m even more ready those idiotic Bocephus intros for MNF to go away. lol. I can’t believe he’s been doing them for 20 years now, so it probably won’t be any time soon.)

This time it looks like the real thing and we’ll have the new league year opening on Wednesday. And there’s no doubt the activity is going to be fevered for several days and weeks.

BTW, have any of you seen this yet?

“There was a rumor making the rounds last week that Favre had approached the Seahawks about possibly becoming the successor to Matt Hasselbeck, a move that makes sense given the arrival of former Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell as offensive coordinator. The Seahawks supposedly declined.”

Thank the dear lord. This guy… just please go away Brett. Enough already.

9. I heard he may back up Vick. Darn, that sucks if he approached the Hawks and they turned him down. Wonder what the price tag would have been? Still can’t believe he would offer to come to a team with so many holes and an inexperienced line after the beating he took last year.

Carroll being the second oldest coach in the league at 59, Farve would have given him good company. LOL

Personally, I wouldn’t want his prima dona act anywhere near this very young and hardly-begun-to-develop-yet team. Not to mention the drama that shadows him everywhere he goes these days. IMO, his play at this stage, doesn’t come close to making either of those headaches worthwhile.

12. His play at this stage? Your willing to have Hass back and Farve’s play was at the very least equal to that. Sorry if this makes little to no sense at all. Farve is one year removed from a 107 QB rating. Knowing Farve he was probably playing with injury far worse than anyone knew about.

Diva? GB had a stud Aaron Rodgers in waiting. He was being forced out. His struggle with retirement is something I can understand. Look at the episode in St.L. Was Warner washed up. A trip to the SB would suggest not. And when the line in St.L again went belly up so did his replacement, Bulger.

Warren Moon was the same age as Farve, 41, when he came to the Hawks. He ended up being a nice two year stop gap. Clearly raised the level of play at the position not seen since the departure of Dave Krieg.

13. This Weeks Action.

Monday:
    1. NFLPA executive committee approves the CBA.
    2. The 32 member Players representatives Radify the CBA.
    3. By Rule the lockout will be lifted Wednesday.

Wed.
    1.Team Facilities are open for players to vote on re-certification of the Union.
    2.Teams may negotiate contracts with their ownUFA’s,RFA’s,Draft Picks and UDFA’s but not allowed to sign anyone before the League year starts.

Friday:
    Players Re-certify the union.

Saturday:
    1.League year starts.
    2.Training Camp starts.
    3. Free Agentcy starts.
    4. Salary Cap in force.
    5. 90 Man Roster Authorized.

excile – Prim donna, actually. Regardless, he absolutely is. That includes his time in GB with Rodgers, his year with the Jets, time with Minn and the seeming endless parade of press conferences regarding his future and nauseating flip-flops on retirement again and again. That strikes me as incredibly vain and in direct conflict with any sort of team concept or team direction. As I see it, the very definition of prima donna.

2009 was a great year, no question, but also something of an aberration given his last several seasons. Done so mind you, on a team absolutely loaded with talent. Something Seattle is not. Yet.

And in consideration of that, and what we’re likely to get from either player, and the “baggage” that each brings, yes, IMO, I’d much prefer Hass to be re-signed than a play made for Favre.

15. Loaded with talent? Sydney Rice was in his third year and hadn’t managed ,,, nothing. Credit where credit is due.

Obviously we have a difference of opinion on the subject of prima donna. The endless ramblings of Micheal Irvin in the way he presents himself. Now that I would consider a needless reach for attention. Chad Johnson begs for it. Farve on the other hand seems to have been forced into it. Everyone was aware the Vikings wanted Farve as their starting QB and GB had made it clear they did not. ALL GB HAD 2 DO was RELEASE him and let him on his merry little way. But NO, they had to interfere. Actually offered him 12M to stay retired . GB caused the media attention and kept it flowing acting like a childish little girl losing their stud.
    I hate control freaks — ted thompson.

In the end Farve was traded and forced to play a year with the Jets. They were playoff bound at 8-3 before Farve suffered a shoulder injury. Jets had finished 4-12 the previous year. Jets drafted Sanchez and Farve finally found himself in Minnesota.

DUKE, try and tell me he wasn’t being forced out.

16. What really burns me up…. that loaded talent in Minn ( AP , Harvin ) fumbled away a SB appearance.

Farve was critized to no end for his INT that ended the Giants vs GB playoff game. That had to play a significant factor in the flip flop over retirement. And was a factor in his being forced out.

excile – I’m not taking anything away from his ’09 season. As evidence, I said; “2009 was a great year, no question…”, but they had loads of talent on offense; AP, Rice, Harvin, Shiancoe, Berrian, not to mention a very solid o line. And Favre played great… only 7 picks in 531 attempts! But with due respect, please don’t insult my intelligence by arguing that wasn’t a loaded offense. It absolutely was.

And why would I argue he wasn’t being “forced out” of GB? After 2 seasons of hinting at retirement, they did the responsible thing by drafting his predecessor. GB obviously made a difficult decision to move on. One that was in the best interest of their future. That’s got to be difficult for any vet. And if his public comments regarding that situation were isolated, that’d be one thing. They weren’t. He’s managed manufacture attention and work himself into the spotlight again and again. GB didn’t force him to hold a presser announcing he hasn’t made any decisions on whether to come out of retirement. A presser to say I have nothing to say is thoroughly needless, as I see it.

As for ending up in Minnesota. Good for him. He got there. But GB is under no obligation to grant him his outright release so he can fulfill his stated desire to play for an inner-division rival and one of their most hated ones at that (behind perhaps only the Bears). Hasselbeck wasn’t clamoring for his outright release when Seattle traded for CW so he could sign with Arizona. IMO, as difficult as it was, Favre handled that situation publicly and classlessly (is that a word…?).

But in the end, as you said, we simply have a difference of opinion here. No big deal. Favre was great in his day, but as a ‘Hawk fan, I want nothing to do with him now, for this team.

18. NOT! Aaron Rodgers was projected a high first round prospect. When he slipped to GB at 24 they scooped him up. But there’s nothing wrong with trying to slant an argument in your favor. Even though in 2007 to to appease the future HOF GREAT FARVE GB attempted to trade Rodgers for Moss. Nice try though.

Berrian and Harvin loaded? You may as well throw Burleson in with your argument. They’re no better, if as good!

Well for one, Nate Burleson was a Seahawk in 2009 otherwise I might have.

How does where Rodgers was projected factor into this at all? It’s the fact they took a QB in the first that’s important. That’s not slanting anything. It’s a fact. Moreover, GB did not attempt to trade Rodgers for Moss. “It’s never been discussed inside the building or outside the building,” said Ted Thompson as those totally unfounded rumors surfaced.

Look, why you’re so upset by all this is a mystery. I couldn’t care less, as long as Favre stays far away from Seattle. Is it that you simply like to find fault with my opinions or have something to argue about? We differ on Favre… who gives a rip? Have a drink and relax.

20. “his play at this stage, doesn’t come close to making either of those headaches worthwhile. ” duke

Recant this statement and all would be well. Otherwise, let’s get ready to rumble :)

Should he become a Hawk I would be no more exstatic than when Moon took the helm.

cheers

Goodness sakes… I guess we’re “rumbling” then because I totally stand by that. Lol (Although to be honest, I’ve grown quite tired of talking about him.) Can’t he just stay down and wait 5 years, then bask in all the attention planet earth and god almighty will undoubtedly shower upon him once he’s inducted into Canton? Please let the answer be yes…

So where is the source of these so called rumors about Brett Favre wanting to hook up with the Seahawks Dukeshire? The article that you gave us had no source!
    I thought that you didn’t like rumors, and preferred cold hard football facts!
    And if you are tired of talking about Brett Favre then why in the hell do you bring this crap up to begin with?
    Is this just a bait to get into a debate?Lol.

23. Fubar georgia that was much better than my rebuttal but as long as you’ve painted him into a corner….

Duke – you sound like my great , great aunt when she offered candy “ for goodness sake child“ as I would indulge myself.

No secret Farve was pushing GB to unite with Moss. There was friction between him and other packer WR at the end, no doubt. A tussle in the past between he and javon walker ended in trade of the aft mentioned. Walker never again put up those numbers. Will Rice without FAVRE?

Out of the past four seasons Favre was so close to reaching the SB twice. Jets even seemed to be on their way before the Farve shoulder injury. Jets were 4-12 prior and I feel Favre still has it in him to elevate the play of the hapless Seahawks. Why waste a year on CW or any of those other buster FA’s?

PFFT.. Burleson

GeorgiaHawk – I’m not above rumors. And I did say afterward-

“In reality, I have to say I think the odds he actually contacted Seattle is pretty damn slim. Anyway… For what it’s worth.”

As yes, I prefer talking actuality over innuendo. And no, it wasn’t anything contrived to spawn debate. I just thought it was a pretty sensational rumor and in the absence of anything else of substance on a Sunday morning, thought I would throw it out there for fun. I never intended to become embroiled in a debate about it. I honestly though it was something that would be casually dismissed with all the transparency with witch it was “reported”. That is; PFT is all rumor all the time. I though that was understood.

I didn’t realize my “contributions” were so bothersome to so many here. Georgia – why do you even care I posted it?

“I just thought it was a pretty sensational rumor and in the absence of anything else of substance on a Sunday morning.”

Dukeshire-So finally today after all this time of rumors and speculation and talking about players rapsheets and tweets we get news that this lockout is going to end and you don’t consider that substance?
    If you don’t consider that substance then what is?
    On a day that I thought would be celebrated on this blog for what I think was news of substance ends up being a silly debate between you and exile over a washed up drama queen qb!
    That’s why I care!
    Dukeshire- Your overall contributions are of value to me, however sometimes they are not and this is one of those times. Big deal! get over it!

26. release the throttle drag-ster. Favre may have offered his service to the Hawks making this anything but rumor.

Didn’t your better half win a one month bet. Has it been that long. Bummer!

Georgia – My intention was not to hijack your link or the fact the NFLPA and league are on the cusp of an agreement. If you recall, I was the first to respond to your post. I had actually read similar reports last night as it was filtering in and only threw the stupid NFP link in as an afterthought really, in response to your good news. It’s happenstance that it took on a life of it’s own, between exile and me, this morning and into the afternoon.

To be totally honest, we’ve heard they’ve been on the verge on an agreement for the better part of two weeks. Until both sides actually sign off, I doubt there will be a lot of widespread joy.

Apologies if your day here was ruined because of a silly debate. In retrospect, perhaps you’d be happier if osbrey’s was the last post of the day. (Sarcasm aside, it seems like you are piling on for the sake of it. There isn’t an agreement yet, only the rumor of one. If a new CBA was actually agreed upon you can rest assured I would be talking about Favre, for what it’s worth.)

excile- Even though I thought your debate with Dukeshire was a side show of todays great news of substance, Dukeshire was (imo) right about what Favre would bring, or not bring to the Seahawks.
    And yes My better half did win a one month bet, however since I have been doing so well with the honey dew list I have been awarded time off for good behavior. Bummer!

29. I D G A F 2 B blunt. But if it makes you feel better to get that off your chest…

At least pabs has kept his delightful
    above the norm
    insightful VY for starter…. away.

Farve would be great for Seattle. Simple as that.

Not a bummer. We’ll need all hands on deck here in a couple of days. Do whatever chores you’ve got to.

31. Soggybuc says:

“Are you ready for some football?” well kinda, but i would rather take one from the great Deacon Jones!

“Shut the F*#$ up! and buckle your chin strap!”

I really have no idea if Deacon ever said that really, but it sounds like something he would have said.

32. Soggybuc says:

OMG, this lock out needs to end before you guys get any more loopy than ya are already.

Dukeshire- I am on east cost time. When I got up and around to checking the news this morning around 8:30 am my time I just happened to catch this link about a minute or two after it came out. I was very exited to hear what I thought was the best news yet that this lock out was soon to be over so I just wanted to share it.

I certainly don’t claim that link or any other link for that matter to be mine.
    After I posted the link and another post I checked some other blogs out to see the reaction to the news and the reaction was mostly of the celebration type, so if you don’t think it’s big news then so be it, but it certainly didn’t ruin my day.

“Farve would be great for Seattle. Simple as that.”

Simple! That’s your problem with this view. Not very well thought out!

35. Well thought out. Farve was meant to be a Hawk. It was an idiot (you should idintify well with Behring) that didn’t draft Farve back in 1990. Knox plans were thwarted and Seattle endured mediocrity for years. Mirer was the second taken in the 93 draft but no dice. Stouffer was 6th overall and McGwire 16th.

good LUCK.. Spreading Pixy Dust doesn’t cut it.

It is the best news we’ve had since this whole ordeal began, I agree. And perhaps I’m downplaying it because I’m just so tired of getting my hopes up with no resolution as we’ve been lead to believe was just around the corner, several times. I’ll let my guard down when all the Is are dotted and Ts crossed, I suppose.

I only meant “your link” rhetorically, not that you have ownership on it or anything.