Morning links: Lime green jerseys get thumbs down

Post by Eric Williams on June 28, 2011 at 7:59 am with 43 Comments »
June 28, 2011 8:00 am
The Seattle Seahawks take the field in their lime green jerseys against the Chicago Bears in 2009. (AP file photo).

Adam Rank of NFL.com ranks the Seahawks lime green jerseys as among the worst in league history. It’s hard to argue against that.

Rank: “The Seahawks are another team that should have never changed uniforms, because the classic look is the best. But what in the name of the World League of American Football is going on here? Seattle has the greatest fans, and the MLS Sounders outdraw a number of baseball teams. But when it comes to day-glow uniforms, keep it to that version of futbol, not the American version.”

The Seahawks have two nominees for the ESPY Awards this year. Leon Washington is a nominee for the NFL Strongest Performance category for returning kickoffs of 101 and 99 yards for scores in an early season win over San Diego.

And the Seahawks are up for Best Upset with the team’s surprising win over the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in the NFC wild-card playoff game.

You can vote here.

Sammy Batten of the Fayetteville Observer talks to Seahawks offensive tackle Sean Locklear about his future and where he will land in 2011. Locklear says he would like to stay in Seattle, but it’s out of his control.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at the 1995 team.

Former Seahawks cornerback Travis Fisher was arrested in Miami this morning for driving with a suspended license.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports ranks Brandon Mebane, No. 8, among his top 50 free agents. Surprisingly, Matt Hasselbeck does not make the list. Former Seahawk Josh Wilson comes in at No. 50. Nnamdi Asomugha tops the list.

Lofa Tatupu is nowhere to be found on this list of the top middle linebackers by USA Today, which is ridiculous. Tatupu’s production may have slipped, but he’s still one of the top 15 middle backers in the league.

Mike Freeman of CBS Sports chides rookies skipping the all-expense-paid rookie symposium hosted by the NFL Players Association this week. About 100 of the 254 rookies are not attending the event.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports that the owners and players are now in Minnesota continuing their talks toward what is hoped will be an eventual agreement on a new CBA.

Morning links
  1. ChrisHolmes says:

Monochrome Blue (current uniform) is the best in the NFL. The “classic” team jersey is dated. I wish people would shut the f*ck up about the classic jersey already.

Yes, San Diego looks cool in the powder blue. But Seattle just looks awful in their throwbacks.

2. I hope the organization never tries to go with that color scheme again, seriously, where did they get that ridiculous idea to begin with. Cool, lime green, really, oh mix it with that dark blue, yeah, that is intimidating and stylin’ at the same time. Looks like a joke. Embarrassing.

3. I like the lime green jerseys, but realize it’s a minority opinion. I wouldn’t want them as a full time uniform though.

Love the idea of a classic uniform with the current logo as the only difference. If you disagree, may your opinion be respected and you not told to shut the f-up.

4. HawkfaninMT says:

Pricos list and the post about cap space got me thinking (I am bored OK!?!) about the best way to spend 39M if they actually want to for this year…

Mebane- 5M Solidfy interior of DL. Was extremely strong all 4 years and is a leader for the defense

Spencer- 2.5M Solid and unspectacular. Can play Center and OG as a starter or back up

Jonathan Joseph- 6M Will be the #1 CB and push Tru to the #2 spot where he will not get as much where and tear and can lock down the opponents #2 WR

Charles Johnson- 6M Our pass rushing DE for the next 8 years. Spend the money and lock him up. He can rotate with Clemmons to stay fresh and plays strong against the pass and run

Justin Blalock- 5.5M Young (27 I think), strong LG that has started there for 4 years since being drafted. Played for a successful offense and is only getting better. He will solidfy the OL for the next 10 years. (Okung-Blalock-Unger-Moffitt-Carpenter)

Alan Branch- 2M Seems to be good fit to back up/push Red for the starting 5 tech DE position. Great depth if Bryant’s injuries continue

Steve Smith- 3M Solid veteran, could be had cheap due to injury concerns, brother playing in Seattle, and connection to Caroll(for what thts worth)

Deuce Lutui- 2.5M Massive OG that has the measurments Cable loves. Would be a great back-up along the interior of the OL and would push Moffitt give Moffitt some competition to keep that desire burning!

Gradkowski 2M, Leinart 1M We have the open competition for starting QB with Whitehurst whom the players are used to, Gradkowski who is familiar with Cable and is a solid veteran, and Leinart who would be the requisite reclamation project for PC/JS

That leaves some money leftover for Free Agents during the season, trades, contract cuts, etc…

Just something I threw together really quick because I am just bored! I realize contracts are more complicated than money spent on just this year and its just for kicks

5. HawkfaninMT says:

I didnt hate the lime greens… definitely ok with them not being brought back though. I saw the design of the new logo on the old silver helmets and I liked that. I would like to see a throwback game against an old Orange Denver uniform though. That would be cool to see again!

6. I think most people who are out of state fans of the Seahawks (for at least a few decades) had the old school jerseys as a primary reason for becoming fans of the team.

Those lime green were hidious. They would have been shameful for a USFL or old World League team. I really hope Carroll helps bring back the classics. I’m used to the “new” ones by now but would love the silver helmets and beautiful blue make a come back.

pabuwal – I can actually agree with that.

9. Monochrome blue looks like pajamas.

Lime green looks like another league or another sport. Or another decade. And perhaps in Europe.

I voted for silver helmets and IIRC silver pants with the blue jerseys when they were deciding color schemes. Should have listened to me Seahawks. Although I understand the desire to disassociate with the Lions look.

People who disagree with me should take a long hard look at themselves and consider just what they’ve done!

Monochrome blue looks like rotten steak! Like BobbyK says bring back the classic uniforms with the new logo.
    As for the lime green uniforms, ship them all off to the Ravens. I know one player on that team that likes them.

So around 40% of the rookies decide to skip the symposium. The more I hear stuff like this the more I side with the owners.

12. With all that money on the line, I wouldn’t show for the symposium either. Ohio is a dangerous place; a player to slip on a cow paddy, swallow a chicken bone, or perhaps drown in the hotel swimming pool.

13. williambryan says:

I’m not a fan of the lime green jerseys used two years ago. However, I would be a fan of a jersey that was sold three years ago being used that featured lime green. They were white (away) jerseys with lime green lettering and numbering. those were awesome. And I also agree that our all “seahawk blue” uniforms are awesome, and do not want to see the throwbacks. I remember back when the uniform switch was happening that there were a lot of people saying that one of the reasons players didnt want to come to seattle was because the jerseys were ugly.

14. I absolutely detest the neon lime green unis. Arguably the worst in NFL history.

I also really do not like the current monochrome blue. It might be alright if it was more of a striking blue, like dark navy or their classic bright blue, but I have never been a fan of unis where the tops and pants are saturated with the same color, unless its white.

I am also a HUGE fan of the idea of going back to the old color scheme with the current logo. I think the classic Seahawks unis are one of the all time best.

Audible- You have a point there! I had forgotten just how dangerous Ohio was!
    Isn’t that where the Stealers qb is from?

16. I have liked all the Seahawks uniforms and think the limeys were great but my favoitie is the original unis. The meaner hawk logo though is a plus.

17. GeorgiaHawk, some of the comments on that article are hilarious…Thanks! lol

18. fuqutribune says:

The lime greens would be just fine if they didn’t try to cram them into the same style as the blues. Blue pants, blue sleeves, and blue helmets make the green way out of place. Do the lime greens with the white pants, at least. The all-blues are terrible. Hate our uni’s, they just look stupid. Don’t like the hawk on the helmet without a green stripe, either. Blue, blue, blue, and crappy football makes for a blue feeling all around.

19. bobbyj0708 says:

The lime green jerseys looked like the tops one team put on in soccer or basketball when we were scrimmaging… only nastier.

20. Its all well and good that another sportswriter has an opinion, but the opinion that will carry the day is the Seahawks’ marketing department. I just hope and pray they haven’t fallen in love with that neon puke green.

All Gun-Metal Blue, head to toe, that’s how I like to see my Hawks. Don’t mess with a good thing.

21. pabuwal, it’s what made me a fan :)

i like the monochrome unis, but i also like the idea of a stylized version of the throwbacks with sharper edging and the new logo… just a thought.

the limes were ruskell’s idea, of course, an effort to tie us into the sounders. now, i don’t care for soccer, and i don’t particularly care for the seemingly out-of-nowhere sounders fan base that seemed to appear after they became an mls affair… but the seahawks already have a tendency to take a beating in the national media, why make ‘em look silly with those horrendous limes? UGH.

Hey, HawkfaninMT, You forgot about signing Hasselbeck?

23. I love the lime green uniforms.

24. chuck_easton says:

I’m in the minority. I didn’t mind the Lime Green Jerseys. Now you should very much read into that statement that I never said I LIKED them, I simply state I did not mind them.

I also don’t mind the occasional trip to the dentist but I’m not looking forward with anticipation to my next appointment.

If the Green Jerseys make the irregular and infrequent appearance I won’t jump off the nearest high building. If they never agian see the light of day I won’t be wearing black for an extended period of mourning either.

25. MadSweeney42 says:

I would still like to see a game every season or two with the last uni before the big switch. It’s the team I grew up with and at times I miss it. I also don’t think the blue on blue home unis are the best in the league. The BEST in the league is when they go on the road and wear the blue pants. THOSE are the best unis in the league (and are pretty much the only thing positive about the Mora year). I absolutely hate white on white with a dark blue helmet. Lame!

When it comes down to it I will accept pink and teal uniforms for a dynasty with a few super bowl wins!

27. Lofa one of the top 15 MLB’s in the league? I don’t think he’s even the best MLB on the Hawks. From the way Heater played the position in 2009 I believe he could be in the league top ten. Lofa? Had a couple of good years way back when…

28. My thoughts exactly on Lofa.

I have the 12th jersey hanging beneath a helmet in a display case. There it will stay until i can attend another game. Those green jerseys look great in the stands. Just to much for the field but the shoes and gloves are a nice touch.

Not sure why Adam Rank gave the thumbs down to the Vikings uni pictured. One of the best I’ve seen. Like to see that design in Seahawk colors.

Heater racked up a boat load of tackles in only 11 starts in ’09 and he was all over the field. He showed a ton of promise and I actually think middle is his better position (vs Will. Especially as he continues to learn). But, he’s not better than Lofa in the middle, yet. If you remember, teams ran every pattern imaginable to the middle of the field because he was a liability defending the pass. The ‘Hawks ran a lot of cover 2 that year and the Mike-backer has to be strong defending seam patterns in that scheme and he wasn’t (nor deep ins or shallow crossers). They got shredded in the middle of the field regularly. That’s not to say he won’t develop recognition and those skills, he’s already shown improvement at Will defending the pass in zone. But then again, he hasn’t come far enough yet to be a 3 down-backer (Herring plays weak side in nickel, as we all know) so that does say something about his ability to cover the pass. As easy as it is to knock Lofa now as his production has declined (primarily a result of injury, IMO) he’s still the best MLB on the roster.

30. chuck_easton says:

Lofa QBs the Defense. His personal performance may be dropping off but the overall Defensive performance suffers when he’s not out there calling the shifts and ensuring everyone else is in the right position.

31. Had we won the game v Chicago, we might have liked the lime greens better. I thought the green looked pretty electric when Julius Jones caught a pass and blew through two Bears tacklers. (Which, with all due respect, is saying something for J.J.) If you have a monster team, that green would just make your opponents feel sicker as you ran it down their throat. It’s certainly not the second worst. I thought Pat the Patriot looked like he was taking a dump. And as for that Panthers uniform, it’s the pink shoes that make it look stupid.

32. I own a lime green Hasselbeck jersey and am proud of it:)

No question about Lofa still being the best MLB on the team. If his knees can’t hold up for another season again, it’ll be time to go with Heater in the middle. But for now, no way with respect to Heater over Lofa. People don’t seem to remember that he couldn’t hardly run towards the end of last season and had surgery on BOTH knees (no wonder the production went down, but props/respect to his warrior mentality). I have played (not in the NFL, mind you) with a bum knee before and it sucks. Can anyone imagine playing on TWO bum knees? I don’t know how you’d even limp.

33. Duke – if I have a chance to make it for a home game in ’12, I’ll wear that green Hasselbeck jersey just for you (even if Kolb is our QB)!

34. Pls, no more radioactive up-chuck green!

Lol. Deal. I’ll be sure to bring a Seahawk sweatshirt or something so you have something to change into after I accidentally spill one of my $16 beers on it.

36. Soggybuc says:

I like the Blue uni’s but would love to see them add more accents, green and silver strips on the pants and some armbands are something as they are just to blah in the mono-chrome look

I’m more concerned with Lofas head than his knees! Just like Trufant he is one or two concussions away from retirement!
    I like his heart and his leadership, however he has not been top 15 the last two years!

38. HawkfaninMT says:

Georgiahawk: That was no accident

39. The monochrome blue is horrible! only to be out done with the barely 2 different shades of blue over blue!!!! WORST design currently in the league. (‘cept maybe Denver)

The Green should only be used as an ACCENT color – as it was intended to be – it’s fine as that – although I have a green jersey since my daughters gave it to me for fathers day – I where it anytime they go to the games with me. other than that — it’s in the closet

Here is what I think of the monochrome blue,or buzzard blue uniforms, and the player wearing it!

41. OutSydeDog says:

Our current uni’s were designed for HDTV, and they do look sharp on it. On regular TV, they look washed out and bland. My fav uni’s were the ones when Chuck took over and they added the hawk on the sleeve. Was an awesome look in the comfy confines of the Kingdome.

Another note; Matt is the only player to have worn the “throwback” jersey, now that Walt retired.

My only comment on the green jersey’s is that my girl looks hot in hers. :)

GO HAWKS!!!

42. Seahawks monochrome blue looks very strong to me. It’s about the same blue as the blue ‘feather’ you wait for at the point when tempering a steel chisel before quenching it. Very hard but not brittle.