A new name for Qwest: CenturyLink Field

Post by Eric Williams on June 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm with 27 Comments »
June 20, 2011 2:50 pm
Qwest Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks. (Ted Warren/AP)

Considered a possibility in April when CenturyLink purchased Qwest, news of Qwest Field changing its name became official today.

The Seattle Seahawks released a statement this afternoon, stating that Qwest Field will now be called CenturyLink Field and CenturyLink Field Event Center.

“Although the name of this facility will change; the history, tradition and spirit of the 12th MAN and the Sounders FC supporters will never change,” Seahawks president Peter McLoughlin said in a prepared statement. “We are excited about our partnership with CenturyLink and our on-going commitment to positively impact the fans of the Pacific Northwest.”

The team will hold a press conference Thursday morning to unveil the new logo.

“The legacy of sports and this field in Seattle stretches from the Kingdome to Qwest Field and now to CenturyLink Field and we are thrilled to be able to play a part,” said CenturyLink NW Region president Brian Stading. “For us, this is more than our name on the stadium. It’s about our commitment to Seattle, the community, its teams and fans that have made the field what it is today. We look forward to creating more memories with you in this new chapter.”

So let’s here some nicknames for the newly named stadium.

Stadium/facilities
  1. I like the nickname Qwest for this stadium.

I guess if I have to deal with CenturyLink, I could always go with “The Link” or “C(Sea)-Link”

2. It is already being refered to as the “Clink”, in some blogs. Despite any marketing forces, that one may just stick.

3. After my professional dealings with US West and then Qwest, I say good riddance to the old name. I thought changing it to CenturyLink Stadium would have been better (it’s called alliteration for those that care). Long live the Clink!

4. They act like we actually give a rip about the name on the stadium!!

to me it always has been and will be THE seahawks stadium.

5. Where can I find a Kenny Easley jersey xl, can’t find one anywhere on the net except a medium one. I tried getting one awhile back and kinda gave up on it, but all that talk on the last thread got my thinkin’ about it again. And I am going for the Washington jersey, the away one.

6. Welcome to the Clink WOW.
    Guess sooner or later it was bound to happen.

TruBlue try ebay for chance of finding an XL Easley jersey
    Possible to have one custom made at the pro shop but not sure they do old style

TruBlu – You can also try Mitchell and Ness. They don’t have one featured on their site, but give them a call or email. They are a great company to work with and take a lot of pride in what they do. If they can’t help you themselves, they’ll get you going in the right direction.

Clink. Qwest. Whatever… It’s home.

8. Soggybuc says:

I am just going to call it was it is. ShamefullCorporateWhore field.

Sign of the times, sadly.

CenturyLink Field?

I like the sound of Jacks Links Jerky field better!

11. guidocarmasi says:

For a million dollars, they would name it Guidocarmasi Field. Any body want to pony up?

12. SeahawkFan12 says:

Seahawks Stadium. I could care less what other teams play there, the stadium belongs to the Hawks.

13. Kevindot1 says:

I agree, CenturyLink Stadium sounds better than CenturyLink Field. Whatever. For some reason this doesn’t bother me…but if we ever had to change the name of Safeco Field I would be upset. Thankfully, when Safeco Insurance was sold, they were allowed to continue to do business as Safeco.

For some reason I have been cut off from posting links! Any reason for this?

15. Soggybuc says:

Sadly so Duke! /highjack on
    It is not that Nike can not afford to pay a person 10-12$ an hour to sew a shoe they are going to sell for $200 to $250 dollar in the US.
    It is that they cannot do so while laying piles of gold at the feet of Tiger Woods to walk around wearing a freaking hat!
    I think Tiger should get paid and damn well at that! he made something like 2.7 million on purse’s alone last year. thats a hell of a nice year by most standards. then he pulled out something like 60 Million in in endorsement money. thats just plain stupid! and it was an “off” year for him!!
    Does Nabisco really think that i’ll be more willing to buy their cookie because they paid Peyton and Eli stupid crazy money to lick one on TV?
    Our world is really outta wack!
    /highjack off

Sorry guys, nothing but FB comments from here on out.

16. TruBlu – your query to find an XL Kenny Easley Jersey was most exasperating. Nearly gave up the search because others suggested eBay. But with continued pursuit I leave you a link to your qwest

excile – Good find! And only $21 too.

18. Bosworth one there too. Seems like it should cost a little less than the Easley one.

19. CenturyLink Field Event Center (stadium) and CenturyLink Field (field). CenturyLink got a good deal. Lotsa teams sell the two (stadium and field) independently.

20. Spicoli
    No Shirt No Shoes No Dice
    Deshon
    No Suspenders No Flight
    He was thrown into San Mateo County Jail and released on $11,000 bond the following day.
    Note to the gangsta, Marman. End future squabbles at Mr. Hand rather than the “Long Arm of Law”.

Check out this Water Polo Super Canucks Wanker!

Riot in Vancouver? 70% of XL viewers felt the Seahawks were screwed. Was potential rioting a factor? Detroit 1984 a riot erupted following the Tigers World Series victory. Go Figure?

21. @kim008,

The Event Center is the event center, the Field is the stadium/field. Two completely different structures at the same location. No football stadium that I’m aware of has a different sponsor for the stadium and the field.

22. grantruby – thanx for the info re Seahawks Stadium. I take it the “Event Center” tucks in under the stands, while the field and the stands (and rest of stadium) is the “Field”. Look at the Pat’s facility, the old Foxboro Stadium is now called Gillette Stadium. Gillette has a 15 yr naming rights for the stadium, (don’t say how much they’re paying per year) while the Pat’s field is called CMGi Field. CMGi is paying $8M/yr to name the field.

I’m not up to date, (or never current) but alotta venues usta have fields that were one name while the stadium or dome or coliseum was called something else.

23. Also, it’s interesting that Houston is keeping the name Reliant Stadium, even though CenterPoint Energy bought out Reliant Energy.

24. I think Paul Allen should name the stadium something and get rid of these cheesy corporate names – Century Link Field!! Why not Century Link Call Us at 1-800-BUY-CELL Field! Paul, you have enough money – dump the sponsor!

25. Clink Clank… hope players don’t have another reason to feel like they were sent off to a gulag in Siberia.

26. mbuck253 says:

CLINK IT UP!!!! but in reference to getting that Easley jersey, be careful!!! make SURE to check the better business bureau in regards to that site. the majority of these online sites are fraudulent and will take your money and not send the product. It is especially suspicious being the unbelievably low amount they are selling the jerseys for. Most things that are too good to be true are normally not true. If you were a steelers fan i would let you have at it! but since you are a hawk fan, i have to give you the heads up!!!