Morning links: A few minutes with Carroll

Post by Eric Williams on June 18, 2011 at 11:32 am with 24 Comments »
June 18, 2011 11:32 am

I attended Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll’s Win Forever coaching seminar Friday night at the team’s Renton headquarters.

A few hundred high school coaches, business folks and media members attended the event. The audience included a few notables, including former Seattle SuperSonics coach Lenny Wilkins, an international rugby star and a football coach from England.

Also on hand was Seahawks general manager John Schneider.

The message was consistent with what Carroll emphasized with his players during his first season Seattle, as he focused on helping other coaches develop their own coaching philosophy.

Always compete. Do it the best that it’s ever been done before. Protect the team. No whining, no complaining, no excuses. It’s all about the ball. Be on time.

However, it’s was interesting to see Carroll operating in his element with people he’s worked with for years in the Win Forever program sponsored by Nike, showing an impressive ability to relate and interact with fellow coaches.

Carroll talks about the seminar and the team’s off-season preparation in the video above.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports offers a more detailed account of the seminar along with some video from the meeting.

ESPN’s Mike Sando notes that stadium and quarterback situations played a major role in where NFL teams ranked on ESPN The Magazine’s ultimate franchise rankings in this video link.

Albert Breer of the NFL Network lists former Seahawks Brian Bosworth on his list of dream interviews.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look back at Seattle’s 2000 team.

ESPN’s John Clayton tells ESPN 710 Seattle’s Kevin Calabro and Jim Moore that he doubts the Tennessee Titans will be willing to pay Matt Hasselbeck what it will take to sign him with Jake Locker already on the roster in this audio link. Clayton once again reports that Hasselbeck was offered a one-year, $7 million deal by Seattle.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports writes that with labor negotiations going well, the league should start planning on how to handle free agency in late July.

Ray Ratto, writing for CBS Sports, offers this little nugget on the ongoing labor dispute:

“The owners like each other far less than they like the players, and trust each other not at all. It’s why all the reports of an imminent settlement always sound more like begging than fact-finding.

“The latest hint that the problems began, reside and will continue with the owners comes with the news that a number of owners have been balking at settlement developments for months now — in part because they still harbor resentments over the 2006 deal, and because they want the revenue-sharing rules between themselves to be changed.”

Check out the Seahawks intro in the new Madden 2012 in the video below. Looks like they believe Matt Hasselbeck will be back.

Morning links
  1. SeahawkFan12 says:

Eric, that is awesome that you attended Pete’s event Friday night. I’d love to attend one of Carroll’s events. As an entrepreneur, his insight would likely have a big impact on my business. It would be cool to interact and network with some of the audience members, too.

The Madden intro was sweet…except for the green jerseys !LOL. I, too, believe Matt will be back.

2. bigjimusaf says:

Do we have to have those awful green jerseys in our intro in Madden 2012? And what? No fish throwing?

3. Soggybuc says:

How very cool that Pete gave you some good one on one time. good job.

4. PC looks like he’s wearing an umpire’s (BB) protective vest(?)

Who’s better, Curry or Bosworth?

SeahawkFan12 – I had an invitation to the event last night and offered it up on the blog earlier in the week. Should have responded…

“I would have liked to have attended a Carroll-led seminar with more emphasis on Xs and Os, but the night provided another glimpse inside Carroll’s inner circle.” Eric, my feelings exactly. Today there is a Carroll event at U-Dub that’s closed to the public, that features Xs and Os. When I signed up a month ago, I was hoping it included that. Regardless, I’m sure it was interesting.

BTW, nice interview Eric. Very cool.

klm – Bosworth. By miles. Had Bosworth’s body not broken down, he’d have been a very good pro. He really was good when he played, for as brief as it was.

6. SeahawkFan12 says:

Thanks, Duke, I appreciate you offering but I was not in Seattle last night so I did not respond to your offer. I appreciate it, though.

And I’d like to see Boz and Curry side-by-side. I like Boz’s attitude better than Curry’s, and agree that had his body held up, he’d have been a great pro. Neither Curry nor Boz will ever be as awesome as Chad Brown. Best Seattle LB ever, and second best defensive player in franchise history (Kenny Easley…The Greatest!)

Brown may indeed be their best LB ever. That’s an interesting call, I like it. But I’d hesitate to say he was better than Tez or Jacob Green. It’s a shame he played here at such an awful time, at least for most of his career. (Easley to me is their best ever, too. By far.)

You ought to check out Carroll’s Win Forever page. Future dates are listed and they’re really good about getting back to you with any questions or inquiries.

8. UO’s Chip Kelly suspended CB/PR Cliff Harris indefinately for driving with a suspended license. Wonder if he’ll try to get drafted in the supplemental draft? http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/30097319

9. When the lockout ends, maybe JS might give a look at Richmond’s Martin Parker for the 3-tech. Not drafted, but not sure how come, he was really good at the E-W Shrine game. http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/draft/players/1250917

10. The steroid crack down has ended athletic freaks the likes of Boz and Bo Jack. We no longer experience the roid rages of Alzado, Green, Romanowski. Wonder what the next superhuman supplement will bring.

Seahawks of old who would you choose to upgrade the present team? I’m optimistic about the offense and Okung has Jones’s back. LBers seem solid and there isn’t a CB that comes to mind. Safeties Earl Thomas and CO are up and comers. So, my choice would be Cortez Kennedy.

excile – That’s an interesting question. Tez would be an awesome choice. For me, either he or Easley. Two of the best players in NFL history at their respective positions. I would probably give the nod to Easley because of personal bias. He and Thomas on the back end? Forget about it.

12. Drivers Ed, Kamiakin HS, Tues April 28, 1981

Where were you when Seahawk GREAT Kenny Easley was drafted?
    Did you know he was also drafted 10th round by the Chicago Bulls?
    I’ve read he was also an excellent tennis player among other things.
    Anyhow, the 1981 draft was loaded including Taylor, Lott, Singletary, and Long now all in the Hall of Fame.

13. Great work, Eric. While Danny O’Neil is off playing golf or whatever, you’re husseling up some Hawk news.

Pete Carroll is a tremendous leader, and one smart cookie. Sure glad Paul Allen made that bold move.

14. Okay, the lockout has gone on entirely too long! I was actually disappointed when the intro ended. I would have happily sat and watched a whole Seahawks vs 49ers game ala Madden!

Why is Michael Robinson leading the team out?

16. I really like rotoworld.com for its updates/news (especially for fantasy baseball when you’re in a hurry), but recently they posted that Moffitt will be given a good chance to start this year (I thought that was pretty clear on draft day, not “breaking” news some months later…lol). That some scouts had a 3rd round grade on Carpenter. And that Leinart will probably be a Seahawk.

Depending the conflicting reports, it looks like we’re headed for a free agency of 4th year players being free agents again. Looks like Mebane will have a chance to hit the market, but it looks like guys like Sidney Rice will be fully available.

If the franchise tag dies as we know it, I wonder if comPete will bring back his former Center, Ryan Kalil, and Unger/Moffitt would play guard? That would give us an entire offensive line 26 and younger. That’s how you build dominant lines (my main worry is that I’m not sold on Unger at guard, but am as a center). So much speculation… still, the most likely scenario is Gallery at LG.

17. Easley, Tez, and Green were all better than Brown, IMO. You could even make an argument for Fredd Young. Less years as a Seahawk, but more Pro Bowls.

Green should Easley be in the hall of fame with Tez.

19. Eric, when you go to the VMAC, where do you find a place to park? How far do you end up walking?

20. BobbyK
    I believe Unger is better at pass-pro than Kalil, but Kalil is better at run-blocking. Sure wish PC or JS could casually mention to Mebane that “blue was his color” more specifically, “Seahawk blue”.

21. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

Khalil signed his tender prior to the lockout. Even if Franchise Tenders ‘as we know them’ die (and don’t think for one minute they will die) the players that signed the tenders have, in essence, signed a one year contract and are no longer on the market.

It was a calculated risk on their point that they took the guaranteed money over the potential to be considered free agents at a later time.

22. I forgot about that. Pretty good money for a Center to get paid like a Left Tackle.

23. chuck_easton says:

Unfortunately nothing can be done. Qwest bought the naming rights to the Stadium through 2014. CenturyLink bought Qwest. CenturyLink it is at least for 3 more seasons.