Morning links: Hawks-Saints voted one of top games in 2010

Post by Eric Williams on June 8, 2011 at 8:36 am with 99 Comments »
June 8, 2011 8:36 am

The NFL Network ranks Seattle’s victory over the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Wild Card game as the No. 4 in the top 20 games of 2010.

So with not much else going on, it gives us another excuse to watch one of the more memorable runs in the league history – Marshawn Lynch’s 67-yard rumble for a touchdown

Gregg Rosenthal of ProFootballTalk.com notes that via twitter Peter King of Sports Illustrated is predicting that Charlie Whitehurst will be the starter in Seattle once the league gets started again this season. Asked where he believes Matt Hasselbeck will land, King says Cardinals, Titans, Dolphins and Vikings in that order.

I’ve been saying for awhile now that I believe Whitehurst will get a chance to start because Hasselbeck will get better offers from other teams once free agency begins. And I think the longer the lockout goes, the more teams will look at Hasselbeck as an option because of his ability to learn offenses quickly with little time to get ready for the regular season.

Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Prospectus takes an interesting look at how offenses deal with pressure, and Seattle’s offensive line surprisingly ranks at the top of the list for 2010.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at the 1998 season, which ended in head coach Dennis Erickson’s departure.

Qwest Field earns the distinction as the third-toughest stadium to play in around the league in this ESPN NFL bloggers’ poll.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at Mike Williams’ success against Arizona and how it will be impacted by the arrival of Patrick Peterson in the desert.

James Boney of Two-One-Five magazine interviews Seahawks defensive end Raheem Brock about the Philadelphia native’s charity work in his hometown and also his future in Seattle.

And here’s an interesting interview with Leon Washington, who is working out in North Carolina.

The players and the owners are holding settlement talks again, this time in New York, which has to be a good sign that things could be coming to some sort of resolution in the coming weeks.

Albert Breer of the NFL Network writes that now is the time for the two sides to get a deal done.

Morning links
  1. pabuwal says:

Qwest should be number 1 on that list. In fact, it should have it’s own category and then the other stadiums can have their own list.

Qwest took an average to below average team and made them a dominating world beater at home for most of the past decade.

2. JMSeaTown says:

Quest registered on the Richter scale.. pretty sure that’s a 1st

3. What a fun ” re-look ” !!!!

I agree with Eric’s reasoning about CW to a certain extent, but if King is now saying he’ll be the opening day starter, it’s a near certainty he will not.

Pab, have you considered becoming a motivational speaker? You are chock full of uplifting messages and not at all condescending and hyperbolic.

Ask the players which stadium is the toughest. How would anyone else know?

6. Marshawn’s run convinced me that he could be the longtime answer at RB. Before that, I was definitely a skeptic.

As for the QB situation, I’ll be happier with Hass starting, but I’m okay with CW aka CBJ. Just don’t want Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb. If CW fails, then the Seahawks need to draft a QB (Luck?) next year.

7. Ambassador says:

I’d love to see a football game at every stadium. None could be better than Quest though… Which stadiums are also good?

8. There are no parameters about what makes a field “tough”

one of the guys listed “tradition” as making Lambeau tough to play – what??

Soldier field is tough when the weather gets bad because it is totally a crappy field. Nothing to do with the team or the fans.

it is soo arbitrary that it makes me sick.

xcman – Those types of lists are subjective, no question but that doesn’t make it a totally useless topic. There’s no question there is a distinct advantage home teams have in the NFL, determining what ingredients comprise that advantage are where the real debate begins. That is, I can see some players feeling overwhelmed by Lambeau’s history while not batting an eye while playing in Pittsburgh’s quagmire. The noise at Qwest and NO obviously have a factor.

There aren’t too many definitives simply because there are s

Greenbay and Pittsburgh having very good teams has more to do with how tough it is to play in their stadiums then anything else.
    When we get a team that plays to there level then look out!

There aren’t too many definitives simply because there are so many variables. But I wouldn’t say it’s a totally arbritary list / subject.

Sorry for the double post. This site can act very strange sometimes.

13. How many people would rather have us lost the Rams game and drafted Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, Blaine Gabbert, or JJ Watt instead of James Carpenter?

All I remember is a fair share of mad people that we lost out on draft position by winning the Rams (and then Saints) game.

Teams like us with limited tradition of cool things happening really need a fun game like the upset over the Saints. We all remember where we were and what we were doing during that run. It was special and I wouldn’t give it up if it meant drafting Tyron Smith over James Carpenter. Some obviously would, but I wouldn’t.

14. freedom_X says:

Seattle having the least pressure on their QB? That totally blows my mind. If that’s true, I don’t know what I was watching last year. They finished 16th in sacks allowed.

Are dump-offs and checkdowns considered QB hurries? If they are, then I just don’t know how Seattle ranks that high. If they aren’t, then I’d explain this as Hasselbeck getting rid of the ball fast. At any rate, if there’s truth to this stat, it’s a bad reflection on the performance of the QB last year.

BobbyK- I agree with your post, and I am one who does not want to sacrifice this year or any year to try and get a better position in the draft.
    I will be very disapointed if Carroll let’s Hasselbeck go to Arizona. And I think that the media is just trying to make a story in saying that Hasselbeck will go elsewhere.

16. SeahawkFan12 says:

I’m less concerned with Peter King’s confusing logic and more impressed with how a city “tucked away in the Pacific Northwest” can create an atmosphere so intimidating it makes 300+ pound men jittery…literally. I’ll take the 12th Man into battle with me any day. The aggression, the noise, the hostility and the passion could boil water from 1,000 yards. Snipers cannot do that. Thank you ESPN and your bloggers for your attempt at a story in a “down” time for football and its loyal fans, but you missed big time on this one. Qwest Field is the toughest stadium in the world to play in during a Seahawks game. Period.

And with lack of football over the past few months, you can bet that pent up energy is going rattle another Richter scale (and left or right tackle or two) once football returns to Qwest.

GO. SEAHAWKS.

17. Georgia – The only way I’d ever consider draft position more important than winning is if we ever find ourselves at 2-12 and there was a John Elway type of prospect who was a no-brainer at #1 overall. Then I’d want to lose out. But that’s it.

Give me wins and James Carpenter any day of the week rather than losses and Tyron Smith.

Look no further than players like Mirer, McGwire, Curry, etc… as evidence that it’s not draft position but what you do in your position, that matters.

19. Win forever Babyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

20. Palerydr says:

I was at the “Richter scale run” game And I promise you that if those bloggers had been at that game they would not put any stadium ahead of the Hawks. There were multiple other times the place was so loud and hostile that the Saints play was effected. I can remember that for over half the game I could barely hear my buddie sitting right next to me we literally had to scream to be heard. It was AWESOME!

Nice point Duke The Colts have Manning and you could make the argument he’s the reason they win but they have drafted at the back end of the draft for over 10 years yet still make the playoffs. It’s not about when you draft it’s about who you draft.

They need to put this up on the big screen at every home game about where those bloggers rank the Seahawks stadium!

BobbyK- We could very well be in that position this year,(2-12), if we don’t sign Hasselbeck. Just not enough time for our O-line to jell, and I just don’t see how C.W is going to hold things together consistently. Not that he isn’t a capable qb in a pinch, or that he won’t be a serviceable qb in the future. It’s just that the q.b position needs more stability this year because of the lookout, more difficult schedule, and the developement of the o-line.
    We really need both Hasselbeck and C.W. for this year to win the NFC west again.
    If Arizona signs him then it could be a tough year.

Well, if things fall apart this year I know what position we will be drafting #1 in 2012.

Lockout.

24. Audible says:

What if the worst-case happens, and the 2011 season is cancelled?

That would mean we’d have two years worth of rookie draft picks starting at the same time in 2012. How would the NFL select the draft order? Certainly, we wouldn’t have to pick 25th again next year?! Would they conduct a lottery??? Though, I’d sure hate to see a team like NE or Pitt land the #1 overall. Maybe they could rank teams over multiple seasons.

25. I read somewhere awhile back that the draft order wouldn’t be the same as this past season. I’m not sure what would happen though (I just know we wouldn’t pick #25 again unless we “won” the lottery or something for the 25th pick).

I could see us being really bad or really good. There are too many unknowns right now. If we go with C.W., fail to add a legit player at LG, etc. then I can see this being an ugly season (even though it’d be good for developmental purposes with the gelling of Unger/Moffitt/Carpenter, experience with a much younger roster, etc.) where we’d have a legitimate shot at Luck in the draft next year.

However, if we signed Gallery (or someone) to shore up LG, resigned Matt, and were able to sign a guy like Asomugha to blanket top WRs 1-on-1 which would allow more blitzes and things like that, then if the cards fall right (like the right side of our OL developing at a quicker rate than normal) I can see us challenging for the Super Bowl. I really can (even though you may be laughing).

There’s too much uncertaintly now to be able to realistically predict a 12-4 or 4-12 type of season. If we’re playing cards, we’re still waiting for our full hand to be dealt to us.

Good questions Audible! I would like to know for sure what would happen myself.
    Could the players picked in the 2011 draft re-enter in the 2012 draft because they are not signed?
    One thing I am sure of is that the NFL already has a plan in the works to increase ticket prices to make up for any lost revenue.

I’m not laughing. We were just one game away from the NFC championship game last year,(despite new coaching and a high turnover of players)’ and since we are in the NFC worst division we have the opportunity to stockpile some wins if things go right. And we all know what can happen if we could get home field advantage in the playoffs.

28. Let them try to raise prices – the Seahawks already collected money from the season ticket holders. I know some teams did not

After this past draft, it’s pretty clear to me they won’t be going after Asomugha (if they had interest before, who knows?). I just don’t see any scenario where this isn’t a better team than last year, regardless who’s under center. Whether that translates to wins or not, we’ll find out. But these doomsday 2 win scenarios seem incredible to me.

30. I’m one of those who was disappointed that we beat STL @ home. Still am. Read that Bates put together a good game plan custom made for CW’s skillset that was the biggest reason for SEA winning that game (on Field Gulls, but I can’t get on that site anymore?)

I had us drafting 7th, but guess it would have been 8th according to Sando. Who could we have gotten with the Rd 1-8 pick? RT Tyron Smith who’d play RT. Who could we have gotten with the Rd 2-8 pick? LT James Carpenter who’d play LG. Who could we have gotten with the Rd 3-8 pick (assuming we hadn’t given it away for CW)? LG Jon Moffitt (who’d play RG). Might have even gotten him at Rd 4-8. Getting a LB,a tall WR, and building up SEA’s secondary would have been as easy (or even better) than what we did with the rest of the ’11 draft. OAK’s OL was known for being maulers but not very athletic. SEA’s OL was the opposite.

The ’11 season is probably gonna be a short one, or at least screwed up with another ‘final 8′ free agency, maybe some scab player games, etc. Depending on how screwed up the ’11 season gets, the ’12 draft’s slotting could end up being based on the outcome of the ’10 season, again. It might be easier to move up to the #1 spot to get Luck from the #8 spot than from the #25. (Since CAR already got Newton and Claussen they’d trade if the amount of picks they got was good enough).

31. SandpointHawk says:

Must read…. Curry reveals his choice at QB….baited breath I know….

32. Hey – to anyone who knows, how does the supplemental draft work again?

Meaning, how is order determined?

What do folks here think about Terrelle Pryor – a real NFL prospect at QB or no?

klm008 – I stopped reading anything that came after your admittance that you were not just disappointed the ‘Hawks beat the Rams but you still are. I have no respect for that mentality (not that you should care). But I’ll ask you; give me one example, just one, where losing has led to championships.

Losing is for losers. Period.

pdway – Supplemental draft is broken into 3 parts; teams with 6 wins or less, non-playoff teams with more than 6 wins and then playoff teams. From that point, if a team wants a player they put in a “bid” to the league that says what round they would give for the player they want. If you put in a bid on a player for say a second round pick, and no one else puts in a bid that high, player’s yours and you lose that round pick in the following draft. If there are competing bids for a certain player, highest “seed” wins. It’s not required teams participate.

Pryor? He’s a punk and I wouldn’t touch him with a 10′ pole. Vince Young > Cam Newton > Terrelle Pryor. That’s how I see it and I’m not a proponent of Young, so…

I should clarify; not 3 parts, but 3 groups. Just a way of seeding the 32 teams.

A 2 win scenario is just as incredible as a 10 win scenario.
    If the seahawks don’t nail it in free agency this year and if they do not sign Hasselbeck then,(imo), they will unlikely have a better team this year.
    How are the Seahawks going to have a better O-line with mostly rookies and 1st and 2nd year players? How are they going to come together in time this year to be an even average o-line? And that’s not doomsday, that’s reality!

How is the defensive line going to improve this year from a group of overachievers? Big Red has a history of injuries and when he came out, the run defense fell apart. No one would have guessed that they would have got 20+ sacks from the ends. Can they do it again? And no upgrade in talent through the draft. That’s not doomsday, that’s reality!

How are the linebackers going to be much better? Tatupu can’t stop the run anymore and he is one concussion away from retirement. Curry continues to underachieve.

The secondary will have three rookies, and old safety, one cornerback too small to cover, and one cornerback that is one concussion away from retirement. What stops this group from being better this year is the lack of practice time for the young players.

How is the qb position going to better if they don’t sign Hasselbeck? Who’s going to be the backup? How is C.W. going to do when the other teams have a few games of tape on him? And how will he adjust to the least experienced o-line in the NFL.
    And the receiving group will be unpredictable at best.

Will our special teams maintain? they are playing at a very high level.

Running backs? Alot depends on how the line performs.

So it’s very easy to see how the Seahawks can have a worse team this year, by looking at the whole picture.
    That could change though if we nail it in free agency and sign Hasselbeck.

With due respect, any win predictions right now completely miss the point. This is a franchise building. I would argue that this is the first year of the “rebuild”, as I view last season as a near total deconstruction. If one is measuring a team in the position the Seahawks are in at this stage, simply by win totals and not fundamental progression and talent acquisition and the ability to develop a truly soild foundation, then again, I believe they are missing the point. This is not a team being constructed for a one year run in ’11. This is about the long range future of the organization. That said, of course you try to win every game, every single time (unlike what klm may believe. sorry, bro.) But I’m sorry , 2 wins?! That’s just silly, IMO.

I guess I’ll address the questions (what the hell);

How are the Seahawks going to have a better O-line with mostly rookies and 1st and 2nd year players? – It will not be hard to replace and improve upon journeymen, practice squad castoffs and injury prone under performers. Moreover, let’s see how they perform in September and note the progress in December.

How is the defensive line going to improve this year from a group of overachievers? Who was “overachieving” last season? Bryant’s injuries are a real concern. But I would argue aside from Clemons, they underachieved for most of the season. But I’d argue that no matter how many injuries they suffer up there, there is no possibility they can play worse than last season, at their worst.

How are the linebackers going to be much better? Again, they won’t be worse and likely better with the addition of KJ Wright.

The secondary? I would gladly start Thurmond, Maxwell, Thomas and Legree right now over any unit they threw out last season and would bet dollars to doughnuts they produce more turnovers and yield fewer yards than either ’10 or ’09.

Anyway, it’s pretty clear we see this team and their direction very differently.

38. Soggybuc says:

Rushing your analysis again duke?

it would be Thurmond, Browner, Thomas and Chancellor in base.
    Thurmond, Browner, Lewis, Thomas and Legree in Nickel with Curry and KJ at the LB.
    Thurmond, Browner, Maxwell, Lewis, Thomas and Legree in Dime with KJ at the LB..
    And lets face it with Pete at the helm we could very well see some sort of package that but Okung and Forsett back there as well.

39. rramstad says:

If 2011 doesn’t have any games played, there’s absolutely NO way that 2012 will use the same draft order. The possibility that I heard that seemed most logical to me was to invert the draft order from this most recent draft. The other major possibility was to draw for slots 1 through 32, but then reverse the order in each successive round, so whoever has 32 also gets 33, and whoever has 1 also has 64.

Who said predictions? scenarios are not really predictions. and who is measuring the team simply by wins?
    I understand very well that the Seahawks are in a rebuilding stage,and that started last year not this year.
    When I compare last year to what may happen this year it is exactly what I said.
    This comparison has nothing to do with what I think will happen down the road in two or three or four years from now.
    Of course the Seahawks young players will get better over time and some of it may happen this year, however because of the lockout and less time to practice this year, this team also has just as much of a chance to regress a little from last year, (imo), if they don’t do well in free agency and/or sign Hasselbeck.

Is that so hard to understand?

I want this team to go to the playoffs and do well every year, just like you and most other Seahawk fans do, however I am not going to sugar coat my opinions.

I will be the happiest person in the world if the Seahawks have a better team this year than last.

GeorgiaHawk – When you start a post with win totals, it is reasonable to presume you are basing your analysis regarding “better” with that as a metric. What’s hard to understand is one’s defense of hyperbolic claims by several people here, that the ‘Hawks are in a worse position today than a year ago. And that’s how it reads to me.

Soggybuc – You may be right about the secondary. And of course, the lineup I put out was what I said I would prefer, not what I think will happen, necessarily. Just my opinion, not analysis. That said, the Legree / Chancellor battle for SS in base sets will be great fun to watch. However, Curry will not play in Nickel. The Sam comes out in those packages. And Wright starting for Lofa, or should he inure himself again, Heater at Mike in Dime or Bandit would be a real shock.

rramstad – If the ’11 season is cancelled, the league and NFLPA will have to agree on a new CBA before there are any more drafts. The ’11 draft was the final act of the “expired” CBA. But let’s say there is no ’11 season but a new CBA is reached before April, I’ve read the famous “league sources” say a lottery will be used and I’ve heard Peter King say that he’s been told the order will remain the same. In short; undetermined.

43. Duke-
    You may be right that no good comes from losing, but the feedback mechanism the NFL intended to help losing teams better compete with winning teams – draft slotting, allows weaker teams to draft earlier. Other than hiring a genius coach who continually unveils schemes that take advantage of opportunities previously missed by all other coaches, or giving a proven coaching staff who absolutely know the foolproof method of building a poor team into a championship caliber one carte blanch, the draft is what we get. You get an opportunity to draft a better football player by drafting 8th instead of 25th. You can certainly blow the opportunity by drafting the most hyped player instead of the best player for your team, or you can draft players that don’t really fit your team’s scheme, or players that receive career-ending injuries in their 1st year, or who shoot themselves in the rear, etc. Lotsa other variables enter into building a championship team other than just having the best college players, but you gotta have the talent. You also gotta have the heart. Players who’d burst their heart before taking a play off. So, how do you lose a game without asking any players to tank? Scheme weakness vs strength. Your team’s weakness vs their team’s strength. The players have to play better in their areas of weakness eventually anyway, if they are gonna become winners. I don’t ever want to lose, but I also don’t ever want to fear failure. Not if it can help me grow as a player and as a team.

Dukeshire- If you were to read the the whole post in it’s context and not assume simply by one sentence of a post then you could perhaps understand the premis of the post. However I will try one more time to enlighten you.
    Many things can happen this year, depending on how this lockout unfolds. If,( and that’s a big if) , the lockout continues it will put a huge obstacle in the way of the developement of the Seahawks rebuilding process. Got that?
    Now if we fail to have a good free agent haul this year and resign Hasselbeck this team could fall and fall hard! Notice the word could. Does that mean I want it to happen that way? Of course not!
    Now with all things said I highly value your thoughts and posts, However sometimes you for some reason jump to conclusions on things.

Just don’t undervalue the other posters because perhaps they don’t have as much time like you do to commit to this blog!

GeorgiaHawk – You don’t need to “enlighten” me and I’m certainly not intending to undervalue your opinion and I never suggested you want them to fail. But the context of your post was wins (or lack thereof), I suggested klm wants to see them lose after his admission he was disappointed in a win. Everything you laid out would fall under the “doomsday” scenario that I believe is incredible. It would be such a reversal from the direction they are now headed, at least as I see it. But when you start with this; “A 2 win scenario is just as incredible as a 10 win scenario.” the context becomes wins. And I specifically regarded their progress “regardless of wins”.

Yes, many things can happen this year but not all of them are bad, you realize. And you seemed to be in the camp as those who see this team needing to have everything break just right this offseason (FA) for them to improve. I don’t. I think they are already better. Anyway, just how I see it.

klm – If having higher draft picks was a recipe for putting a winner on the field why do so many of the same teams draft in the top 10 year after year and so many of the same teams draft in bottom 10, year after year?

46. Three things are going to happen this off-season (begin fairy tale into music)… we’re going to resign Matt, and sign a couple of Raiders (Gallery/Asomugha).

The signing of Gallery, in addition to a more experienced and healthy Okung, and actual talent on the right side (even if they are young) is going to allow us to finish in the top 10 in rushing in the NFL. I see this happening.

The running game is going to open up the passing game when we actually do pass the ball which is going to be good for Matt and the WRs.

This is going to allow our defense to do two things… play with the lead more often (able to be more aggressive) AND spend less time on the field (actually be fresh when they are on the field).

This is how our DL, LB, and DBs are going to function better even if one believes there is equal or less talent at those positions (I don’t) heading into this season.

Unlike others, I can see them making a run at a big, tall CB who is 30 years old. As stated many times before, he’s going to play another 5 years and he is so good right now that when he naturally declines that he’s still going to be better than most CBs in 4-5 years. He’s the poster boy for exactly what Mr. Happy wants in a CB. Plus, Schneider was in Green Bay when the Packers of all teams threw a bunch of money at a 30 year old CB, Charles Woodson. I see it potentially working out.. And if it does work out, imagine how much better all other 10 defensive players will be with having one player match-up against another WR 1-on-1? He will open up the entire defense to be more aggressive and less predictable.

I’m not saying “book it” with respect to signing Asomugha, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the one big free agent splash. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we did make a strong run for him though.

Anything the Seahawks can do in free agency to help the defensive side of the ball will be a plus.
    I expect Carroll will thrive in free agency this year, especially with the Raider, Viking, And Greenbay connections.
    I really think he wants to sign Hasselbeck, however now it’s just going to get more difficult to do with his value continually going up.

Hasselbeck,Gallery,and Asomugha? I can see that happening! The young guys are going to need some good veteran leadership, and it would help keep us at the top of the NFC west.
    There is no reason why we can’t rebuild and reload at the same time! Especially in the NFC worst division.

For Pete’s sake, don’t give Arizona the division, and our playbook by letting them sign Hasselbeck!

Hass to Ariz… doesn’t that make you thow up in your mouth a little?

Asomugha really would surprise me. Carroll seems to place much greater emphasis on safeties than corners (if you looks at his history). I’m not against it, but it seems out of character with his defensive approach.

49. The thought of Hass anywhere but Seattle makes me want to throw up.

50. I doubt Matt would share his playbook with Arizona. But, even if he did, I question how much value a playbook would provide, and especially now with a new OC in the house.

I think what’s far more dangerous to us is his inside knowledge of our defense (weaknesses and strengths) and how our coaching staff approaches different situations.

But, this has to be at least partly offset by the intimate knowledge our coaches have about his weaknesses as a player.

The worst part about Matt going to AZ is that they’ll have a competent QB running that offense for more than just the two games against us. However, there’s no guarantee that he would hit the ground running once there.

It won’t be long before teams start trying to hack into another’s server and steal or corrupt their data base of plays. (Hint, hint Mr. Allen…)

52. maddog12 says:

Matt just needs to stay in Seattle. There will be alot less agnst for all and I don’t want him going to a divisional opponent. We would then have to call for him to be sacked into the Hawks ring of honor.

Audible – You know teams have people go around the hotel rooms after a team checks out looking for playbooks left behind? Not just their own team’s so they don’t fall onto the wrong hands, but visitors as well. You still have to play the game of course, but those things are like gold. Some teams fine as much as $75,000 for one lost. They are a blueprint for your teams philosophy and concepts.

(BTW, I posted this before the Allen comment but it didn’t show up for some reason. Hopefully it won’t double up.)

The point about hacking into servers was that some teams like the Cowboys are beginning to use IPads to replace traditional playbooks.

( Having issues today… Lol)

55. They put their philosophy and concepts on display each week they play a game…it’s just hard to see what an opponent can learn from a playbook that would give them much of an advantage on the field above and beyond watching game film.

A coaches notebook with scouting reports on players, or actual game plans might be useful, but I’m still not convinced that an opponent’s playbook is going to help all that much. I have heard some playbooks are as thick as phone books. Where do you begin even processing that much information, let alone using it as some sort of predictor for game plans.

Who are the top undrafted rookie free agents that we can target? Any possible steals at fullback, linebacker, or d-lineman out there?

57. Duke-
    True and fair enough. Drafted prospects are only replacement parts. Even if the draftees were the best at their job in college, or even the very best football players in all of college, they come into an NFL team with it’s own climate of success (or lack thereof). Besides the players, the other parts of the team (owner and front office, coaches, and the support staff) all have to be organized around the idea of building and maintaining the team’s climate of success. (An example of the importance of the support staff is CLE where they didn’t properly clean their rehab facilities and 5-6 players came down with really bad staph infections. CLE lost Joe J because of a maintenance staff who didn’t share his team’s focus or who didn’t know his responsibilities as a part of that team.) Most of the time the best prospects go to teams with a climate of failure who lack stability in their front offices and coaching and support staffs, or who are just trying to be competitive enough to put butts in seats. If the ownership/FO lacks willingness to do what it takes or can’t see the forrest for the trees, or coaching can’t gain the respect of their players, or the players all just want to get outta there and get on with their careers elsewhere, etc, a superstar draftee (or a dozen) isn’t gonna make much of a difference.

But, from time to time teams with usually very successful and stable climates will have a clunker year. GB had some clunkers just after Holmgren left. Their vets got old and injured, depth got thin, they faced bad strength of schedules vs teams that targeted and took advantage of their weakness(es) and they ended up far enough on the wrong side of 8-8 that they got players that eventually changed those weaknesses into strengths (also ’06 & ’07 BAL). GB’s secret was their historic climate of success and TT’s ability to re-sign their FAs.

Or, a losing team has started to turn itself around, has an owner and HC who want to establish a climate of success but has a replacement GM that doesn’t work well with the HC, and has been accumulating ‘good’ or ‘safe’ players but who haven’t been ‘great’ or even the ‘right’ players to fit the coaching schemes. The team loses vet FAs who fit the coach’s schemes, older pro-bowlers get injured and retire, the team has a disasterous season, and the HC retires. The GM then hires a new HC who does a little better than the past season but fails to inspire the team or owner. The GM/HC are let go. In comes another HC/GM from separate climates of success. They have a losing 1st season that’s still significantly better than the previous GM/HC. Though losing, with a lack of depth of player talent, they showed signs that they’re building a climate of success. What do they need to establish the climate of success the owner and us fans want?

Focus and direction. Each part and every member of every part of the team must have a common, team-wide consistent direction and goal: (ie win the game, play fair, and have fun vs make money, party, and get in as much off-field trouble as possible). Every member of each part of the team must know which things to focus on and which not to.

Responsibility: Every member of each part of the team must have sets of specific responsibilities. Every member of the team must internalize his mission responsibilities. Not that PC must dictate every speciic task for each player (or coach or staff) (micromanage), but each player (as well as every member of each part of the team) must know his fit in the scheme well enough to anticipate his responsibility to successfully complete that mission (without delay). Each member of he team must posess (or acquire) and maintain those resources (skills, data, schemes, etc) necessary to successfully complete their mission.

Intuitive Competence: Every member of each part of the team must be an expert at completeing their respective assignment. Each member must be able to see beyond the obvious and handle unforeseen, complex situations.

Mutual Trust: Over time, after playing together for some years, every member of each part of the team will build a strong enough trust and awareness of each others’ respective competencies that they’ll be able to focus their energy outward on taking the initiative and beating the competition instead of inward on justifying their actions and arguing with each other.

When they get there, as an organization, the Hawks will again operate at a higher tempo than their competition. They’ll be more agile and responsive (again) in the face of each rapidly changing set of competitive circumstances than their competitors. They will WIN FOREVER!

kim008- What in the h@ll are you smoking?

Audible – Game plans are put into playbooks each week. And it’s true, film study is critical to success but teams generally only go back the previous 4 games in preparation for an opponent. Playbooks have it all. I think one would be able to learn a he’ll of a lot about a team with one. There’s a reason they’re guarded like the nuclear codes (beyond most coaches paranoia).

Will Hasselbeck pull another Kurt Warner if he chooses to sign with Arizona?

GeorgiaHawk – That’s a great question. I too have no idea what the he’ll he’s rambling on about. That was somehow a responce to me criticizing him for being disappointed the ‘Hawks made the playoffs.

“It’s been a dream ever since I pancaked my first person on the field”!

Nice find! Did he go to high school near where you live?

64. Soggybuc says:

Nice little interview of Big James (we gotta get him a nickname soon) i have a feeling in a very short while no one will be calling his pick a reach. you just dont walk onto Saban’s program start from day one and stay for 27 games while blocking for a Heisman winner and winning a championship if you suck. sure Bama was a very talented team all around but is not left tackle one the most important positions there is? nuff said.

No, James went to high school close to Augusta ga, home of the masters.
    I live about 100 miles northwest of that.

Soggybuc – Big James it is. He and Moffitt on the right side is just awesome. We got to find Russ a partner. I really wish Mike Gibson was about 20 lbs heavier while keeping his quickness. He showed flashes last year but the fact of the matter is he’s small for a guard, at least for the direction Cable is directing this line.

GeorgiaHawk – You live up in the mountains then? A friend’s family has a summer place up in Highlands NC, and after flying into Atlanta we drove up for a week of golf. Sounds like you’re in that area. It’s ridiculously beautiful up there.

Now C.W. is from the city that I purchased my first house from, Alpharetta ga.

Dukeshire- I live in Canton Ga now, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta, and it is not as mountainous as the highlands of NC, however it is very close to it.
    I absolutely love it up here, however the summers are very hot and humid.
    The past few years I have come back to the north west during the heat of summer.
    I lived in the northwest, Woodinville Wa, New Port Oregon, even San Diego Ca in the first 25 years of my life.
    Fall time, or football time around here is great! Spring time is when you have to be on your toes because of the unpredictable weather

GeorgiaHawk – I’m really excited about him. No SR Bowl invite. No East – West Shrine invite. He did play in the Texas vs Nation Bowl (ESPN doesn’t even list that game’s box score) and of course was not invited to the combine. The kid seems to have talent coming out his ears. He seems to me, to be a wonderful example of a team (Seahawks thankfully in this case) finding a true gem and pulling the trigger on him, only to be criticized for doing so by those who had no idea who he was.

For what it’s worth…

Dukeshire- Calhoun Ga is in the area of the carpet capital of the world. I am sure that Kris Durham is happy to be a Seahawk instead of working in one of the 3000 carpet mills in the area!

72. Soggybuc says:

I think Durham was actually on quite a few teams radars but that they all went hush hush and gambled on him being there in the 5th or 6th.
    Hawks called that hand in the 4th and trumped table.

Lol, that ‘s quite a claim to fame. Although, carpet has to come from somewhere.

Speaking of working, that reminds me of an interview I read with Mark Legree over on Field Gulls, after he was drafted. He’s working full time right now to pay his bills while this lockout is on. We sometimes forget these are real people that do have to make ends meat (even if it’s not the heavy lifting). Not everyone is Cam Newton…

“LeGree: I don’t really follow it too much. I let my agent keep me posted on what’s going on. I keep hearing June 3rd, June 3rd, so I’m waiting ’til then to see what happens but I don’t really know what’s happening because I’m not one of the guys in that room. It’s kinda weird though, you know, after I got drafted there was that emotional high but after that wore off I was right back here just kind of sitting around and working out at school and stuff — just being a regular guy. I had to get a job to pay my bills while I wait.

Jacson: That’s a little strange, right? I mean, here you are, you did it, you made it as far as getting drafted by an NFL team, but you’re having to work a regular job instead of signing a big-league contract. What kind of work are you doing?

LeGree: I’m working for a general contractor. I worked for him last summer. I don’t really have any construction skills (laughing), it’s more like a favor they’re doing for me, but I just mostly do easy stuff like cleaning and organizing. They don’t want me to get hurt.”

I really like LeGree. He appears to be a talented and down to Earth blue collar type. In fact I get that feeling from most of our draft picks this year.
    I just hope that they can all get more practice time as a team before the games start.

I don’t know if this link was posted before, however with little news out there in NFL land these days this supplied a fix for me. At least temporaily.

I get that same feeling as well and I really like it.

And back to our earlier… “conversation” (ahem) that missing the lockout is really does hamper their development; I really do agree with you here. Beyond the rookie mini-camp and at least one OTA they’ve missed, this is about the time when we’d begin to see some of the later round players signed. They would then be living in Seattle, working out with Carlisle, working with position coaches and otherwise preparing themselves under team direction.

At this stage of the rebuilding process the Seahawks have to rely so much on the rookies and young players that it could stumble a bit out of the blocks, However talent wise and the direction they are headed in no doubt makes me a believer that they are better this year then last year. It just may not show up on the field right away.

The lockout,(IMO), is going to hurt this team more than the other playoff teams from last year. Especially if we lose Hasselbeck to Arizona.
    Fortunately we play in the NFC west. And I expect Carroll will be all over the place once this lockout ends trying to further upgrade this team.

I don’t personally believe the Seahawks will win just 2 games, and I probably shouldn’t have thrown that out there the way I did, or at least explain what I meant a little better. Sometimes I get in a bit of a panic mode after I hear rumors of Hasselbeck going elsewhere, and then at times I get defensive about it.

I don’t think that Hasselbeck is the greatest thing since sliced bread, however I think
    he is important to this team this year because of the lockout, and I think the combination of him and C.W. will give us the best chance to compete while at the same time rebuild.

I tend to do the same thing, lol. I think I’m getting a bit stir-crazy without any actual football.

It’s going to be fun to watch the development and maturation of all these young players. Not all will pan out, but it’s going to be awesome to see Okung and Thomas from last year to this. And Carpenter and Moffitt from September to where they will be in December. Sherman and Maxwell in year 3 (looking ahead), etc…

Got to end this ridiculous lockout already.

79. Soggybuc says:

Interesting how you said Blue collar kinda of guy. looking at a lot of the guys they are drafting and that does seem to be their modus operandi.
    Both okung and thomas fit more into that mold despite their high pick status. will be interesting to apply that theory to the moves they make going forward.
    In other words divas, drama queens and dickheads need not apply. all which one or more apply to the Mallets, Jimmy Smiths and Housh’s of the world.

A couple players that intrigue me are Pat Devlin (QB), Jeff Maehl (WR), Jake Kirkpatrick (C, OG), Zach Hurd (OG) and Cedric Thornton (DT).

And it looks like we may be getting close to a settlement!

81. Soggybuc says:

You hear that Eric, two weeks and your paid vacation is over! then we will force you to make new blog posts at least every other day!

And don’t even bother to try and placate us angry masses with some drivel about how when there is actually some relevant NFL news it will make it easy to keep the blog updated. we won’t buy it!

If we get close to a settlement then all hell is going to break lose!
    Dukeshire will be immediatly hired by the news tribune to help Eric with the onslaught of news.
    We will be exposed to an avalanche of Seahawks news which will create a 12th man upheaval of extraordinary magnitude.
    Nothing will stop the will of the 12th man ,for the will of the 12th man remains forever in the Seahawk quest to rule the football world!!!

They don’t even have to pay me. Just a press pass for VMAC and Qwest. No biggie…

This is a fun look at Durham on Seahawks.com.

That was a funny pic of Durham. I could just see him jumping over Carroll in practice.

Speaking of jumping, Konz is pretty good at that himself. Wouldn’t it be great if Konz developed into the type of players that also came out of Kent State as undrafted free agents a few years back. Antonio Gates, and James Harrison.

86. PC’s putting on a coaching clinic this coming Friday on the 17th at the VMAC. He has an RSVP email listed at http://blog.seahawks.com/2011/06/10/carrolls-untraditional-coaching-clinic/ if anybody’s interested(?)

Over at NFL.com PC’s got a brief article about his response to the NCAA stripping USC’s championships and a little about the Seahawks. He’s tight-lipped about the QB situation. “We’re building a program,” he said. “We’ve got issues across the board as we transition our approach and trying to put this team together. There’s a lot of concerns. We really need free agency to help us. We love the draft as it came out, and got to put a lot of focus on the offensive line and some young skills guys to give us some speed and competitive players.” http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204971a/article/players-know-who-won-2004-bcs-title-carroll-says

87. Soggybuc says:

i’m getting really sick of the NCAA and this two faced BS about the “purity” of the athletes while they exploit them to no end. if they are not willing to give players a stipend to help them out then by all means at least let them get jobs.
    As far institutional control BS most programs have up to a hundred kids involved do they really expect you to know what every one of them is really doing once they step out side the practice facility? these are young adults and I can not see how you can baby sit them 24/7.
    The best thing they could do to halt this crap would be to put a framework in place that say after 5 weeks into your junior season you can begin to negotiate with an agent and just set a limit to what amount of advance can be made by the agent. but once you accept any advance your eligibility expires after the last game of the season. at least this way you can bring this out into the light of day.

Soggybuc – I totally agree that the NCAA exploits their athletes (football and mens basketball really). How could anyone argue with that? But, from my experience as a full-scholarship athlete (baseball) I have to say that no one is going hungry at night. I played at a very small school in Northern California (Sonoma St) and had not only my entire education payed for (tuition, books, etc…) but dining hall passes, per-diem on the road that more than covered meals, pre-game “spreads” in locker-rooms, etc… I can only imagine what players get at major university programs receive, that’s above board.

If athletes on scholarship don’t want to pay for housing, the option to live in the various athletic dorms for free under condition of their scholarship exists. Jobs? When would James Carpenter or Earl Thomas find time to also have a real job? That’s an impossibility. And every one of the “Terrelle Pryor’s” who accept free cars knows what they are doing is wrong or in violation. What is and is not legal is made clear from your very first orientation. Again, I can only imagine the temptations at these major programs present (and a lot, tons, of the athletes come from desperate backgrounds). And these athletes generate hundreds of millions of dollars, do they deserve some “walking around” money (because that’s what we’re talking about), perhaps. I’m here to tell you though that is one slope that will be even harder to monitor and control than the current system. (Understand, I’m not against it exactly. But it’s not as black and white as is appears on ESPN, as it were…) (And I must say, your last paragraph presents an interesting idea.)

89. Soggybuc says:

Very well spoken response Duke. Kudo’s.
    I am going to stick to the “walking around money’ portion of the argument because i think that is the most relevant point.
    Ok sure your basics are more than provided for but then again so are those who we incarcerate. I just cannot believe that we should expect these young men to spend 4 years living in the most spartan of manner and depending on the kindness of their friends for anything beyond the dorm provided fare. I think many athletes come from a family structure that is able to assist them (which is in the rules i believe) and for those guys it much less an issue.
    It is the young men that do not come from privelage(sp) that seem to be the ones most vulnerable to screwing it up.
    One’s College years are not just great for getting an education but they are also the best for, well having fun. and that age really is one the best times of life yet many of these young men go through this devoid of the means of buying your dates pizza on a Friday night. that just really sucks and needs to change IMHO.
    The free education argument is dishonest to me. would a free education and $120.00 bucks a week really break the system? doubt it when the profits generated from the sale of Lockers jersey’s could most likely cover that 120$ many times over.

90. MattandCindy says:

“After missing nearly all of last season with an ankle injury, Jameson Konz slides from starting tight end to H-back this fall…when healthy, he is an impact play-maker that can line up all over the field…coaches are counting on him to stay healthy.”

This is from Seahawks.com. I’d like to think they’d do some freakin’ RESEARCH on the team they represent. Maybe Konz snuck in after hours and added the phrase “starting”.

Besides that…I think this kid could turn into a MONSTER. He absolutely has all the physical and athletic tools he needs. Now it’s just a question of effectively utilizing those tools. I think he’ll be one of the greats if used properly.

Soggybuc – It wouldn’t break the system, and that’s a great point. For so many of these athletes, living outside the “institution” as it were, is not even a consideration without relying on friends and teammates or without violating some rule or another imposed by the NCAA. And families can assist scholarship athletes just as they would any student. But as we know, not all have the support like a Colt McCoy had(s) (Watching Texas / ASU super-regional…). The haves and have-nots continue to differentiate themselves even within the “sameness” of a scholarship-athlete and all the rules that apply. Coming from next to nothing to having so much offered to you, incredibly tempting. Has to be. And there are a million way to rationalize accepting what’s offered. (Of course this doesn’t touch on the athletes who come in with their hands already out.)

And I agree, the education isn’t free, they earn it. Just look at the TV revenue. But if the NCAA does decide to supplement student-athletes’ scholarships with in-hand cash, the oversight needs to become vigilant, IMO, regardless how or what the system would be put in place. And I don’t believe agents should be let in under any conditions. Roosters in the hen-house. Because the fact is, most enrollees at colleges aren’t on scholarship and when they come out of school, they are debted, by tens of thousands in many cases. However this problem is addressed (and it is a real problem) it can’t just be about what’s best for the “elite”, all parties must be taken into account. That is, some young person in med school, loans up to their eyeballs, living on peanut-butter toast, is done a disservice and cheated themselves IMO, by allocating funds to a basketball or football player simply so he won’t accept a new car or so his family doesn’t accept “favorable housing” in a beach community.

There is no easy solution, that’s for sure. But the hypocrisy of the NCAA must be addressed. They gladly exploit the athlete and accept the revenue generated but are unwilling to look at what is really happening as a result of their exploitation until infractions become public knowledge.

92. I say give them a stipend but don’t cover the tuition. Let them figure that out on their own.

I have 2 kids in college and can barely make ends meet but we do it – WITHOUT a full ride.

IF they are getting a full ride they are already getting paid upwards of $50,000 a year. Let their parents come up with walking around money like the rest of us do!

College players should be getting at least 40-50% revenue from all profits in college football. This is a joke, and it has been going on far too long!
    By far More than any other sport football has such a high injury risk, and they have to play for 4 years in college without being compensated for their worth, however the coach can make millions? Doesn’t make a Dam bit of sense at all!

But then neither does the BCS.

94. Soggybuc says:

XC i understand and feel your pain, but the stupid cost of an education today is worthy of a debate all it’s own.
    That said did your kids generate 4 million in revenue for their school? the free tuition is small thing compared to the return on investments these schools receive.
    Duke well spoken but it is late so ill have to try and find a hole in your argument in the morning.
    And Georgia you are so right, It just doesnt make a damn bit of sense at all!