Morning links: Too early to judge draft class

Post by Eric Williams on May 3, 2011 at 9:14 am with 31 Comments »
May 3, 2011 9:14 am

Our own Dave Boling brings some levity to all of the draft critics panning the Seattle Seahawks draft class, saying it’s too early to judge whether or not this team has failed in addressing some of its needs through the draft.

Boling rightly points to the fact that one key element – free agency – has not taken place yet, hampering Seattle’s ability to address the quarterback position and defensive line.

But he also believes with Seattle only selecting one defensive lineman in the draft, that bringing back Brandon Mebane in free agency has become more of a priority.

Boling:

“Mebane seems like an undervalued asset. He doesn’t have flashy numbers or come up with huge plays, but he’s stout, reliable and he’s turned into a bit of a team leader. I like that he barks at the offensive team when it approaches the line.

“He sent out this tweet this weekend: “My 2005 Corolla battery died, need a jump.” This is not some Bentley-buying slacker. He’s a barking junkyard hound and he needs a new contract to get his battery replaced. Sign the man.”

In an interview with ESPN 710 Seattle’s Brock Huard and Mike Salk, former Seahawk and current ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer explains his criticism of Seattle’s draft class, and also throws another name in the hat as a potential quarterback Seattle could be targeting – Tavaris Jackson.

Former NFL Scout Dave Razzano tells ESPN 710 Seattle’s Mike Salk and Jim Moore that the Seahawks should have selected a defensive end like Ohio State’s Cam Hayward with the team’s first-round pick. Razzano said he also believe there will be five or six franchise quarterbacks in next year’s draft.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll that Max Unger likely will get a chance to start at center a conversation with KJR’s Dave Mohler in this audio link.

First round draft choice Seahawks James Carpenter Joins Mitch Levy in this audio link.

New Seattle Seahawks lineman John Moffitt joins KJR’s Mitch Levy in this audio link.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman talks with KJR’s Mike Gastineau in this audio link.

Former Seahawks quarterback Mike Teel was drafted 31st overall in this year’s United Football League draft by the Las Vegas Locomotives.

ESPN’s Mike Sando tallies six mock drafts from prominent draft analysts, and Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com had 29 or the 32 players selected in the correct round, the most among the bunch.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports takes a look at the top 32 prospects for 2012.

Morning links
  1. I don’t know if I like John Moffit better as a player or as a person, one thing I’m sure of, I’m glad to have him be a Seahawk and glad to have him in the locker room, he seems like a really cool relaxed guy, and a fine player.

I presume Boling is referring to Seattle’s FO “undervaluing” Mebane because he’s been a fan favorite since he got here. And the fact they didn’t draft a DT over the weekend signals to me that the FO doesn’t necessarily “undervalue” him either. He does the dirty work inside and is a monster against the run. Problem is, he’s underwhelmed as a pass rusher since his 5.5 sack total at NT two years ago and was moved to 3-tech. But he’s an important player for this defense.

3. jboard1 says:

Jeez, Dilfer is a moron. He must still be bitter that Hass is a better QB than he was. No way getting bigger, meaner, nastier on the o-line ticks Hass, or any QB off. That is non-sense. I bet hass was ticked off at 18 different o-line formations in the past 2 years.

Dilfer’s sensational criticism regarding the Seahawks’ draft on ESPN has been one of the best career moves he’s ever made. Nationally syndicated radio shows, interviews with Peter King, making the local sports talk rounds… He’s no dummy. Got to get that name out there so he can land a football TV announcer gig. Every bad QB becomes one eventually, after all. The thing is, he knows that what’s gotten his name out there has been this hyperbolic, short-sided rhetoric. So the really exciting news is that we can expect more of the same from him. He is a typical as they come.

5. “Razzano said he also believe there will be five or six franchise quarterbacks in next year’s draft.”

Don’t know this guy – but maybe, if he’s right, it helps explain why we waited on drafting a QB this year.

6. HawkfaninMT says:

QBs that interest me next year…
    Luck, Landry, Barkely, and Kellen Moore (to a lesser extent)

I haven’t looked into next years draft too much yet though so there could be another 2 starting calibur QBs, why not?

HawkfaninMT – Also; Nick Foles (Ariz) and Chandler Harnish (No. Ill.) will be two more to keep an eye on.

8. So, if we trade away our ’12 1st rounder, we’ll draft a DE in the 2nd?

9. speaking of dilfer, I found a video of his rant on ESPN. To me, it sounds like he really wanted the hawks to take Dalton at #25 for some reason. lol anyways, enjoy! ^_^

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I hate next years QB class, the only passer I think will do anything in the NFL is Luck and he’s going number 1.

Dilfer is a clown, his love for a such a poor QB prospect like Dalton is baffling. I would have almost as pissed as I was when we drafted Aaron Curry if we drafted Dalton. Gotta admit though I’d do anything for Dilfer’s job. Anyone know how to become a sports analyst? Besides being a former player.

As soon as you figure out haw to be a sports “analyst” please let me know, I’ll join you.

Wait a minute, did Wingo say Whitehurst helped Seattle “down the stretch, until he got hurt”? lol, He did help and played very well in the Ram game, but when did he get hurt? Did I miss something? Trey Wingo sets up Dilfer then follows it up with completely made up gibberish to follow.

13. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“ACIB – You were upset when Seattle took Curry at the time? Were you on here (under a different name) saying as much? Only curious…”

I was under the FireRuskellNow handle or something like that. I sniffed out that bust miles away. Not even proud of that either, I’d rather have we drafted a good player from the many we could have chosen from rather than gloat about Curry’s failure. I wasnt impressed by anything I saw from him in college (even back then his idea of “coverage” was sitting back and allowing the reception and first down and then making the tackle after the damage was done), and couldn’t understand why a dude from a school like Wake Forest who didn’t do much but fluke into some INTs was getting all this love because he worked out well in the combine.

Besides the fact that drafting linebackers with no pass rush ability in the early first round is stupid, I’d have drafted a superstar LB from a powerhouse school who played against real competition like Laurinaitis or the USC LBs or Orakpo.

Also we wouldn’t have even needed an OLB if Tim Ruskell’s moronic self didn’t trade Julian Peterson for a bag of chips.

14. SandpointHawk says:

Well the “experts” are moving on to the 2012 draft. That is also a prediction of next seasons order of finish…Schranger has us picking first…

1. Seattle Seahawks — Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford: The Seahawks suffer early and often at the start of the Charlie Whitehurst era and never fully recover. Pete Carroll keeps his job and gets the ultimate prize next April — Mr. Luck. A 6-foot-4, 230-pound Heisman finalist from a year ago, Luck breaks all of John Elway’s old Stanford passing records and goes first overall.

15. SandpointHawk says:

Oops… that S/B Schrager

16. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I’m the biggest pessimist ever and even I can’t see this team being bad enough for the first pick. Maybe 4-12 at worst if they’re ravaged by injuries.

17. neklok says:

gotta do worse than buffalo for the #1 pick in 2012, or maybe carolina goes B2B?

the draft pundits are paid to talk, so they do. only time will tell how the hawks did, but i personally liked their approach. just give caple what he needs and the rest will take care of itself. adding caple to the hawks staff was an amazing move by carroll and company. he’s a non-nonsense guy and his O-lines maul people.

18. raymaines says:

I like the SeaHawk draft pretty we, my only complaint is that they drafted each guy about one round too high. Maybe only half of a round actually, and that’s where things get sticky. I really wish they could have moved down to the top half of the second round, and picked up an extra third round pick.

In the end, if you get a ten year starter that goes to a couple of Pro Bowls it doesn’t matter if you drafted him too early. Lets hope these guys pan out OK.

FireRuskellNow… I think I remember that handle. Well you weren’t alone. There were several people disappointed with the pick only to be justified with his play. Sadly, I praised the pick at the time even though I was hoping they’d pick Sanchez.

20. HawksKD says:

I also wanted sanchez but was quite ok with curry at the time. Because Curry came from such a small school is the reason I give him a longer leash in picking up NFL intracacies. No one can question the fact that he is an athletic specimen. The only problem I have with curry up to this day is his OUTRAGEOUS contract. I do feel that he could flourish in the LEO position.

After reading the defensive philosophy that duke sent. I began to dissect why curry is failing. He is the most athletic LB on our team. That being said he relies on his athleticism WAAAY to much. He has absolutlely 0 discipline when it comes to gap control because he feels he can compensate for the chances he takes. Reality… It does not. This is the NFL if you make a mistake one of these college allstars is gonna make you pay.

However in an optimisic note, I am interested in how year 2 under Ken Norton Jr. will affect our expensive commodity.

21. HawksKD says:

ACIB – thank you for providing more than just the typical within these last 2 threads. Even though you still hijacked this one including myself..

22. HawksKD says:

I am really ok with going into the season with Charlie as our QB. I do not understand why no one else is.

We do not need to be giving up any of our 1st 3 round picks for ANYONE unless they project to be a long term solution I.E Kolb. Kolb has about 8 viable years left barring major injury. Palmer has 2-3. T. Jackson (selling my season tix).

Charlie has shown the ability to manage a game plan. That’s what our system needs to win.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Charlie W. rider. But I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him a chance. He is a JS QB … That’s all I need to know.

23. freedom_X says:

Curry’s problem is that his instincts are defective. If a LB takes just a half a second extra to figure out where the action is happening – count that off in your brain – suddenly a 4.6/40 yard dash LB becomes a 5.1/40 LB.

It’s an even greater impact, really, in shorter spaces (since he’s not typically sprinting 40 yards to make the play.) It’s why Tatupu, and many other “slow” linebackers, make plays – their instinct and instant reaction more than compensates for a couple tenths of speed compared to a physical marvel.

Problem was, coming out of college, you cannot find a single scouting report that says Curry lacked LB instincts. Not one. The only 2 negatives I ever saw flagged on him was his unproven pass rush ability and that he was only average in agility drills – which we could see even in his brief “impact” period (he didn’t look smooth in coverage in preseason or his 1st 5 games as a rookie.)

24. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“Thinking back on what I wrote.. Putting AC at LEO wouldn’t allow him to flourish. It would minimize the damage he creates.”

Bingo! As much as I want to see him flourish in some capacity so we can minimize the damage, I just don’t see him succeeding in the NFL. As for LEO, he has almost no pass rush moves, and you can’t bullrush NFL caliber talent and expect to get sacks like he did in college. We’ve given Curry plenty of chances and he is still not anywhere near an impact pass rusher. Case in point: Week 2 against the Broncos. Curry was exclusively allowed to rush the passer and he was mostly completely shut down by rookie right tackle Zane Beadles. Whereas someone like Matthews or Orakpo would have feasted on that opportunity.

“Week 2 against the Broncos. Curry was exclusively allowed to rush the passer…”

I don’t have the energy to go back and watch the game at the moment, but I feel comfortable in saying this isn’t accurate. I’m nearly positive he was DE in their Bandit (although I believe we referred to it as “2 dime” before we knew the name) for at least a dozen snaps. Perhaps that is part of “rushing the passer” you are referring to, but at Sam he was not rushing exclusively. So, while I’d agree he’s not adept at rushing the passer, it’s not something he’s been asked to do much (relatively speaking) either in here or at Wake.

26. I can see a few scenarios where the hawks could pick #1

– We go into the season with CW and low level FA at the QB position and it fails due to talent or injury

– we can’t get any (including our own) DL FA to sign here

– Our draft picks are mostly reaches and aren’t ready for the NFL in year 1.

if a combination of those happened it could happen. I will doubt that it does happen, but it could.

27. Seahawkgo says:

B*llshit idiot espn reporters, specially Dilfer.

28. ljarllrajl says:

JacDG says “John Moffit . . .he seems like a really cool relaxed guy…”

Yep, it doesn’t get anymore relaxed than eating your own boogers on national TV. lol

That’s a dirtbag if I’ve ever seen one, heck yea!

29. “…the only passer I think will do anything in the NFL is Luck and he’s going number 1.”

At the end of the 2010 draft the best QBs in the 2011 draft were Locker or Mallett, depending on if you prefer a mobile guy or a pocket passer. Just saying.

ljarllrajl – That is hilarious. He got after it once, then went back for seconds. Lol

31. ljarllrajl says:

Moffitt never quits… on or off the field. lol