Seahawks select OT James Carpenter at No. 25

Post by Eric Williams on April 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm with 42 Comments »
April 28, 2011 8:02 pm
Alabama offensive lineman James Carpenter.

The Seattle Seahawks make a somewhat surprising pick, selecting Alabama offensive tackle James Carpenter with the team’s No. 25 overall pick.

The Seahawks used 10 different offensive line combinations last year, and only rushed for 89 yards a contest, second-worst in the league. So Carpenter adds some beef up front to help new offensive line coach Tom Cable begin to revamp the offense.

Carpenter started all 13 games of the 2010 season and was a first-team All-SEC selection, helping to pave the way for Heisman trophy winner running back Mark Ingram.

NFL Draft
  1. ChrisHolmes says:
  2. edstang45 says:

Espn list him as a Gaurd, here and NFL Channel list him as a Tackle. So does he take Locklears spot or move over next to Okung??? All SEC he was listed as a 2nd rounder by Maycock. Seems like we wanted to trade out of 1st round, so without a trade partner did they take him now because they had no choice?? Whats your opinion of this guy?/ I thought we needed OL help but not sure if this is best value????

3. edstang45 says:

6-5 300lbs…big boy…I hope Schnieder knows what hes doin

4. I am fine with this pick, we did need OL help. People said that there was better picks but do we really know that? Others said he was a 2nd rounders, well picking #25 is not that far off and he probably wouldn’t have been there next time around so I am fine with this pick. Remember we are picking #25, last year we had two early 1st rounders so that is alot easier to get home run guys.

5. vichawkfan says:

Stunned, but I’ll reserve judgement until I can read up on him. He’s not on my list of potential guys. Guessing the media will grade us low.

6. Well, I know I am biased, but this makes sense. A college tackle who doesn’t grade out as a first rounder, steps in during the post season and plays great at guard. The left side should be Okung, Carpenter, Unger. Very young and very quick!

7. Kingpear says:

Are you kidding me… Sherrod was still on the board and Carimi. Both better options in my opinion.

Was it me or did Schnieder look disgusted on the Fan Cam… Don’t think it was his call… Could be me though

8. If Cable can build an OL that can run-block I’ll be stoked! How many years have we been hearing “We’ve gotta get the run-game working”?

9. bayareahawkfan says:

Posted this on another thread: his value is that he’s a “tweener” – McShay suggested that if he doesn’t fly at RT, he’ll be dominant at guard for many years.

Sounds like a perfect fit for team with desperate needs at both G and RT, eh? especially because he gives us flexibility in later rounds to go T or G, depending on value.

Either way, this is good. Skill positions are sexier first rounders – I would have been happy to see Smith – but we know the biggest problem with this team over the last 3 years.

Fix. The. Lines.

10. heyyou_66 says:

big run blocking right tackle……….. Didn’t do well at Left Guard at senior bowl. I say this was Cables pick all the way and a hell of a reach at that. Is Gallery in our future at LG?

Here are a couple of my impressions of Carpenter from this blog, during the Sr. Bowl week;

Dukeshire says:
    JANUARY 25, 2011 AT 3:54 PM
    This afternoon NFL Network showed the south practice. I was impressed with James Carpenter (Ala). They had him working at LT and was just a wall. He played guard most of the season but he looked like a natural at tackle, might be someone to keep an eye on in the middle rounds as a RT.

Dukeshire says:
    JANUARY 26, 2011 AT 4:08 PM
    … Speaking of which, Carpenter from Ala looked so good again today at LT. Everything I’ve read about him has him as a late round pick but he’s been great in one-on-one and team drills, from what I’ve seen. I can’t wait to see him play Saturday.

So for what that’s worth… And look, Carroll said several times he wanted to upgrade the offensive and defensive lines. Well, he’s begun to do just that.

12. heyyou_66 says:

Pete Prisco of CBS sports grades the pick a B

13. So is tomorrow the DL’s turn? Or do they come back for a G (OG Ben Ijalana, or R.Hudson?)

14. I read an article that quotes Rob Rang as saying Carpenter was pretty underrated. So that’s good.

I’m not mad, I mean, obviously those front office guys know more about football than we do. Still, the pick seems a little disappointing with the other players still on the board.

15. scottftlc says:

I have to admit, I’m a bit baffled by all the negativity on this pick. An All-SEC tackle. Rising late on the boards. It’s a little tough to get bummed by a 300 pound All-SEC tackle who blew open holes for a Heisman Trophy winner. That should be enough pedigree for anyone.

Speaking for myself, I was more disappointed that they didn’t take a player I really liked. But that has nothing to do with what the Seahawks see in a payer and what they have in mind. Like Carroll said tonight, it’s not a flashy wr type pick. He’s right. This is a blue collar, workman, hard nosed pick. Building it the right way. Carroll calls him a “road grader”. Nice…

17. I’m good with it too. It’s always sexier to take a skill position, or to feel like we got a ‘steal’ by getting a guy that the experts thought would go higher. But every one of us knows that the O-line has been the team’s single biggest weakness since Walt and Hutch left – and no team gets very far without a good O-line, period.

The guy’s pedigree, and his size, look fine – the rest, I trust to the guys who scouted him.

Listening to Carroll’s presser, really sounds like he wanted and would have taken Locker. Interesting.

19. 1st Stage — “They didn’t take the player I wanted, so I’m pissed.” See Carimi, Gabe.

2nd Stage — Thank goodness they realize we needed help on the offensive line after a half decade of worthlessness up front (even if our interior is still about as worthless as any other team in the history of the NFL).

3rd Stage — See 1st stage.

4th Stage — Lets wait a couple of years before we judge.

5th Stage — Dear Mr. Carpenter, I’m going to root like heck for you to succeed. Please do. Sincerely, bobbyk.

6th Stage — Our QB situation still sucks!!!

20. As long as he stay’s healthy… and is a solid starter… (guard or tackle…) I’m good.

IF Andrew’s actually steps up as the starting RT (as he supposedly excelled at previously) and if this guy’s a stout guard in the mix… Suddenly Unger’s one of the smallest guys on the line… and he doesn’t have to be huge to be a workable center…

Lets see how this actually play’s out…

Lol. Pretty much.

22. Would have LOVED for us to have taken Locker over Carpenter!!!

23. I’m not thrilled with this pick, but we don need OL help. Time will tell.

24. nidhighe says:

A definite need pick, and he seems like someone who fits what Cable wants in an O-lineman. There were better tackles on the board, but this guy has more versatility. That said, I was hoping for Dalton or Ingram, bit I’m not going to complain about an upgrade to the O-line. Now if we can just get Gallery in free agency.

–Danielle

25. heyyou_66 says:

now another O line man and a qb, db,and dl later. Sign Matt, O line and a #1 type WR come next week……………………….

26. Good work scouting the Senior Bowl, Duke.

Carpenter was definitely underrated in the press. He was small a couple years ago but grew huge as a senior. Nick Saban made him his starting left tackle on one of the deepest teams in college football. He has a championship ring he earned by opening holes for one of the best running games in college football. And, Tom Cable was brought in to rebuild the O line and Cable obviously wanted him.

That’s all I need to know.

Whatever Mel Kiper might have overheard being Tom Cable wants on his new O line. Let’s roll.

27. Who cares about versatility? Would anybody be mad that Hutch couldn’t play LT as well as Walt? Or since Hutch was 1-dimentional (guard), does that mean we wouldn’t want him?

Gallery? You mean the 30+ year old who has only played a full season 1 of the past 3 seasons?

28. bayareahawkfan says:

Versatility is only a plus because it adds insurance to him, in that if he can’t play T (or if Andrews wins the RT spot), this kid is still a solid G. Schneider said he could play 4 different positions on the line, which helps when someone goes down due to injury.

Of course we’d all prefer a Hutch, but all I know is that we need Oline help, desperately. And they made a pick to address that need.

29. bayareahawkfan says:

Oh also understand that the kids versatility gives Schneider et al room to maneuver in subsequent rounds for OL, and based his track record, don’t underestimate the value there, as well.

It could pay off in a non-Oline gem in later rounds, made possible by the extra wiggle room afforded by Carpenter’s ability to fill any of a handful of open positions on our crappy line.

30. Maybe we should trade our first two picks in the draft next year to the Patriots so we can draft Alex Henry. He can kick and punt. Talk about versatility!

31. SeahawkFan12 says:

I guess my issue with Carpenter is it SEEMS as if we could have gotten/talent like his in the 2nd. And it SEEMS as if some “better” options were available (I was pounding the Carimi drum, too and would have been cool with Jimmy Smith). Just my initial let down, but what do I know? Pete called him a “road grader”…

32. I look at it this way:

If they had been in the same draft, would you have taken Big Walt or Alexander?

I am 47 overweight and out of shape and even I could have averaged 3-4 yards a carry behind Walt and Hutch! When that tandem broke up, Alexander looked a lot more ordinary. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

So if I have a shot at the Heisman winning RB, or one of the guys who blocked for him, my experience as a Seahawks fan leads me to believe that our FO made the right call.

So I am guardedly optimistic..

33. What about you having a late 2nd round pick this year AND a 1st round pick next year?

or

having Carpenter?

34. I don’t have the patience for that :)

35. I still have hopes for Beast Mode. My gawd! If he can do what he did behind the patchwork OL that we had last year, I shudder to think what it might be like for linebackers who have to try to tackle that guy when he gets up to speed behind some decent blocking and is already under a full head of steam before they get a whack at him…YIKES!

36. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Good, not great pick. Can substantially help our running game, though. And Unger is not small, dude is straight up taller and heavier than Chris Spencer.

37. ChrisHolmes says:

What disappointed me about the pick is not the pick itself, but what it implies about the Seahawks’ draft board, how it was stacked, and how they evaluated the talent in order to stack it that way and make this pick.

They had Carpenter as their 25th best player. That just doesn’t fit.

Clearly they were on the phone trying to trade back and weren’t getting what they desired. And that’s a bummer.

I would have been more excited about Dalton or Mallet. But if the guy really is a “road grader” and pans out at Guard, we can’t complain.

Having thought about it overnight, what this pick tells me is the kind of team Seattle wants to put together. Carroll wants power. “Smash-mouth” as it were. While Cable may be a disciple of Gibbs, he’s interested in power not finesse. Isn’t this what most of us have been yearning for? It may feel like a reach for some reason, but he was an all-SEC LT. And if a guy plays that well under Saben, you know he’s a no nonsense, blue collar guy. I’m liking the pick more and more.

39. Im not quite as pissed as I was last night, but it stills smarts that we let Baltimore get Jimmy Smith. Ouch. Going into this season with Tru and Thurmond at corner doesnt thrill me. I would have liked to see us get Muhammad Wilkerson over Carpenter, but I guess our need is greater on the O-line; Now I sure hope they cough up the dough and resign Mebane.

As long as Carpenter turns out to be a very good player, it will be fine. Still, it feels like a reach for need and not the best pick at 25.

AaronCurry–Dude, Unger is NOT heavier than Specer. Spencer is over 310 lbs, and a LOT stronger than Unger. They list Unger at like 312 lbs, but theres no freaking way. He’s pretty skinny, and gets his butt handed to him regularly. He looked awful at RG before they put him on IR. He may turn out to be a decent C, but so far he has been a sub-mediocre G.

And I was so thrilled when we drafted him…

40. Dukeshire. I hate smashmouth, ball-control football; its boring, and I dont think you can win Championships with it any more, not in todays NFL with the parity that exists. You have to find ways to out-guess and out-think and out-manuever teams, as the talent gap is very small team to team.

Hopefully Bevell has some innovative ideas for the passing game. Ive had enough of Chuck Knox/Mike Ditka/Bill Parcells football.