Carroll, Schneider talk about first-round pick Carpenter

Post by Doug Pacey / The News Tribune on April 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm with 46 Comments »
April 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider talk to the media about first-round pick offensive tackle James Carpenter late Thursday night at the VMAC.

Okay .. we also got Cable now:

Carroll, Schneider and Cable say Carpenter was a guy they had targeted for some time. Schneider got involved with a couple deals to trade down, but nothing was more appealing than picking Carpenter.

Carroll stressed how important it was to now have young, bookend tackles around which they can build an offense that dictates its will on defenses. The first descriptions Carroll used on Carpenter were nasty and aggressive. The best quote: “He’s a road-grader … he wants to bury you.”

A couple factors separated Carpenter from the other tackle prospects available at the time: He was versatile, capable of playing either tackle or guard position. Also, he played in an Alabama scheme that will have him ready for the NFL. Of note, he came out of junior college and managed to walk right into the Alabama starting lineup at left tackle and start 27 straight games, with a national title along the way.

Cable let it be known that he is not interested in offensive linemen who are finesse players. He demands guys who are tough and aggressive. Carpenter, they felt, had those qualities.

Carroll said that they expect him to step in and be the starting right tackle. Carroll was vastly disappointed that the Seahawks had a substandard rushing attack last year. To take two offensive linemen in the first round of consecutive drafts, he said, is a very clear statement about their approach to build their attack.

Schneider looked a bit annoyed throughout the presser. Is that just me…?

2. Dave Boling says:

Didn’t notice Schneider being annoyed. Seemed as if they were all on board with the pick.

3. heyyou_66 says:

Will root hard for this kid because he is now a SeaHawk! I hope that in a year or two we will be raving at how they stole him in the 2011 draft. Only time will tell….

4. Any thoughts on why they chose him over Carimi? Just out of curiosity. It seems like he was consistently rated pretty highly.

5. HawkfaninMT says:

Sounds like Moffitt fits exactly what Cable wants… Not so much Hudson and Rackley.

Im hoping we snag Dowling or Austin in the 2nd then Moffitt in the 4th.

PS He did look a little annoyed. He worked his butt off for 8 weekends staright on this! Joking aside, this is his dream job, he feels like he worked hard at it, and as soon as he makes his first big move in a while he is getting hammered by armchair QBs for it. I can see why he may be a little peeved

6. It is a little hard to believe Schneider couldn’t have traded the pick down and still gotten Carpenter in the second round. But, what the heck, if this is the guy Tom Cable wanted, that’s all I really need to know.

So now we have our bookend offensive tackles; no QB of the future yet. Let’s see, this puts the Seahawks at about the same stage of development as the Rams were back in… 2009?

At least its good to see they have their priorities right. It all starts up front. Welcome, Mr. Carpenter.

7. OCHawkFan says:

Just got on Youtube and watched some film of Carpenter and Camini. I’m not a talent evaluator but Carpenter looks like a beast out there! Camini looked good but not as dominant as Carpenter in my opinion. I think this kid has a high ceiling and I’m excited to see what he can do given the proper coaching from Cable.

8. “Of note, he came out of junior college and managed to walk right into the Alabama starting lineup at left tackle and start 27 straight games, with a national title along the way.”

Okay, not a flashy pick, but I can see why they liked this kid over some other OTs. Draft experts had other OTs ranked higher, but he fit what our personnel and coaching staff wanted.

–Danielle

9. You can’t tell me that the Saints wouldn’t have offered us the same deal they offered the Patriots at #28… their 2nd round pick in ’11 AND their #1 draft pick in ’12 for…

Who here would rather have Carpenter OR the Saints #2 pick this year and their #1 next year?

Hell, I’d take the Saints #1 pick next year straight up.

10. HawkfaninMT says:

Yeah I can see your point Bobby, that first next year would be nice… Even if it will be in the 20’s most likely

11. In regards to “He wants to bury you”, I really hope Carpenter becomes known as the Undertaker. Sports needs more nicknames. Make it stick Seahawk nation.

12. I’m trying to figure out why a team in its rebuilding “infancy” without a legitimate franchise quarterback wouldn’t be willing to trade out of the 1st round this year for extra picks (especially when their 1st round pick is a 2nd round right tackle)… such as a 2nd rounder THIS year AND a 1st rounder next year (see New Orleans).

Lets look long term view…

Why in the hell isn’t that a good deal? Can anyone give me a well thought out and realistic answer instead of a stupid “lets buy into everyting the experts tell us because they have spent more time scouting the players” answer?

13. freedom_X says:

They probably did get that same offer from New Orleans. Schneider says he got 2 offers to move down that the other teams backed out of, and one offer where Seattle backed out.

If the Saints #2 was between 33 and 40, that would have been a good deal. But if Carpenter is generally accepted as a 2nd round talent, you can’t count on him lasting to 56. There’s a good chance someone else will have him as an upper 2nd round value.

Finally, since Seattle had a lot of OL’s to choose from (only 3 drafted before Carpenter, none projected to slip to 25) it’s safe to conclude *Seattle* thinks he can play, that they didn’t reach for him. Seattle must think he’s the best OL there, they passed on “higher value” guys, and in that case – you have to pick the guy you like, not the guy fans and media think is best.

Jacksonville got reamed by the media for taking Alualu last year, but the GM stuck with his convictions and was proven right.

14. “To take two offensive linemen in the first round of consecutive drafts, he said, is a very clear statement about their approach to build their attack.”

Agreed. However, we still have about the worst interior offensive line situation in the NFL.

We need a (good) guard. That would make one.

15. freedom – you’re a big Jeff Lageman fan, right?

16. SeahawkFan12 says:

We don’t know that is what Schneider was offered. It is possible the Saints upped the ante to the Patriots after Seattle declined. Who knows? I really do trust Schneider and Carrol, and welcome Carpenter to the family. Now let’s get a pass rusher and a guard and then…and ONLY THEN look at QBs and WRs.

17. freedom – who cares? Would you rather have Stephan Wisniewski (or any 2nd/3rd round talent on the OL) AND the Saints’ 1st round pick next year OR would you rather have Carpenter?

Do you remember how much fun it was to have two 1st rounders last year? I do. That was cool! What happens to the pick if Brees tears an ACL and they are in the same division as the Falcons/Bucs? It’s top 10-15.

Even if it’s the 25th pick… if we have any long-term vision (which we don’t), wouldn’t this be what’s best for our long term or “rebuilding” vision?

Unless we’re going to resign Matt, and get Sidney Rice, etc. in FA…

18. freedom_X says:

Nope, it just appears you have a different value on Carpenter than Schneider/Carroll/Cable do, and you want Seattle to do what you want, not what they want.

It’s like the guy here who kept saying Seattle could have easily gotten John Carlson without trading up. Maybe. Maybe not.

I think Carpenter was a solid 2nd round value even by media/draftnik projections. That means it’s far from certain he’d be around by pick 56. And if Seattle thinks he’s a player…

And I actually don’t see any professional draftniks reaming Seattle for drafting Carpenter too high (at least from Pro Football Weekly, Fox Sports, CBS Sportsline, ESPN, and SI.)

19. Ray Roberts was an early 1st round pick. I could never figure that out. However, the “experts” said he was good so I was supposed to blindlessly follow whatever was done…

Oh, wait? He sucked? I wasn’t supposed to question it?

20. freedom_X says:

Bobby, let’s say they take the Saints #2. That’s about 32 picks to go.

So to “safely” do this deal, there have to be enough players that you “love” (as much as Carpenter) to last all the way to 2nd-#56.

Are there? Apparently Seattle didn’t. If you feel there are, then it’s a difference of opinion.

I don’t know if there are enough players to “last” that long, unless there were some players I rated way more highly than others. In which case, I’d be accused of “wasting” my 2nd round pick by overdrafting someone.

The only way I criticize the mechanics of this deal is if Carpenter was generally considered a low 3rd-4th round talent. I don’t think he was.

Imagine if some team was counting on Ponder or Locker lasting to their perceived “value” spot at the bottom of the 1st/mid 2nd round. Those plans certainly went to hell.

21. Who cares if he’s gone by pick #56? I’d take a 2nd rounder AND a 1st rounder next year, rather than the #25 pick THIS year.

It’s not b/c I am “smart.”

All I know is that we hit and miss on some… but I do know that more picks is better than less picks (just like I’d rather have a #2 this year and a #1 next year instead of Carpenter this year).

22. freedom_X says:

Whether Carpenter is worth it is a different issue. But you’re not really discussing Carpenter.

If the trade had been made – who should Seattle have targeted? That’s pretty hard to answer. So if I didn’t like Carpenter, I’d focus on the player and why he’s not a good pick.

23. freedom_X says:

One of the reasons a future pick is worth less than a present pick, all other things being equal, is that you get the player immediately to develop or contribute.

By that token, a team that trades up using future picks – are they dumb?

I’m sure the Seattle brain trust does want to put some pieces on the chessboard ASAP, not for next year. You stockpile future picks if there’s no one you value this year. New England doesn’t have many holes. Seattle does.

24. Copy/paste this and we’ll revisit it next year during the draft. Nobody has a long-term vision and I don’t understand it (especially in an organization that sucks like we have for years and years, with respect to winning the Super Bowl). I guarantee that we’d rather have a late 2nd this year and 1st next year over Carpenter. And I don’t care if Carpenter turns out to be good, either. There’s no better time to make a trade like this (for the future) either than early in your rebuilding project either. Hell, we traded a successful 2nd round pick (Josh Wilson) for a late 5th round pick when he was still closer to 20 than 30. How is that “smart?”

25. williambryan says:

Eric, I wonder if this has been brought up with the team at all? Does the possibility that there will no longer be a draft in the future weigh on the seahawks front office decision to not trade down perhaps?
    I think Carpenter will be great for the team but I had this grand vision of the hawks using there two first round picks next year (if they would have traded down this year) to move up and get andrew luck.

26. “By that token, a team that trades up using future picks – are they dumb?”

I guess the Seahawks didn’t have any faults last year when they traded a future pick for Whitehurst?

27. “Cable let it be known that he is not interested in offensive linemen who are finesse players. He demands guys who are tough and aggressive.”

Didn’t Mayock describe Carpenter as a finesse tackle after the pick? I just find this funny

28. williambryan says:

I think mayock described sherod as finesse. he didnt have much time to discuss carpenter because of the ravens fiasco. He did say he expected carpenter to go in the top half of round two though.

29. freedom_X says:

That’s it. Ultimately, this org will be judged by their overall success. Whitehurst alone doesn’t make them stupid, Chris Clemons doesn’t make them brilliant. So far so good, but Tim Ruskell looked good after his 1st year too.

Bobby, I am guessing you’re actually unhappy because you don’t like Carpenter, which is completely fair, but I’m reading your comments like “Seattle shouldn’t have picked anybody, we just should have stockpiled for the future.” That, I wouldn’t agree with.

Interestingly, the scouting reports I’ve read all say he is more of a finesse player as well. More athletic than physical. But he is a tough guy in the sense that he doesn’t miss games or plays and competes on every down against top competition. That might be what Schneider and co. are referring to.

30. BK-let me get this straight. Because some chart rated other OT’s above Carpenter… your upset. I had us taking Solder but those damn Yankee Pats selected him above Carimi and others. Hey, he wasn’t ranked above Carimi. Guess Billichick doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Austin or Paea in the second! Anyone think they make a move up on Dalton or Mallett?

Pabs, u’r a riot. you should have rode the Newton gravy train. I’ll bet Locker kicks butt in Tenn over Cam in Carolina.

31. finfangfoom says:

Yes Mayock called him a finesse player. Cables comment was a direct response from a question from the reporter about Maynocks comment.

32. surelyyoujest says:

BobbyK, I get where you are coming from, but we don’t know what deals were on the table to Seattle. Assuming we had the same offer as NE is just that, an assumption. JS may have been miffed (if he was) that the ante was upped to NE after he walked away from a lesser deal. We don’t know. I would agree that a 2nd this year and a 1st next year would seem to be a no-brainer, but in reality we don’t know what offers, or from who, we had on the table.

33. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Chill out BobbyK. We have a beast road grader at RT now, likely to sign Robert Gallery at
    LG and start Unger at C to solidify the interior, and still might flip Aaron Curry for some idiot team’s 1st or 2nd next year with Schneider’s Jedi mind tricks.

34. It’s the day after, have had time to sleep on it, and still scratching my head about Carpenter. Personally, I’d take the 2nd rounder this year and the #1 next year. I think it’s a no-brainer. Even if Carpenter turns out to be a good player (I have no reason to expect otherwise). Anyone who follows this blog knows that I was a big Mike Johnson fan last year and wanted us to take him with our 1st pick in the 4th round. Unfortunately, he got drafted late in the 3rd. The moral of the story… Johnson played next to Carpenter and he was dang good. That Alabama left side (whole line, actually) was really, really good. I’m not mad at the guy, I think he’s going to be a solid pro, I simply think it’s foolish to take him over:

1. Gabe Carimi — who IMO is better.

2. over two high picks — a late 2nd this year and a 1st next year.

excile – Where did I ever say Bill Cheatachick is stupid? Was it when he traded up early into the second round for Chad Jackson? You’re putting words into my mouth and that’s not right. We both know the Pats just drafted a tackle earlier in the 1st round. There’s no guarantees in life or the draft… Carpenter could turn out to be a stud and Carimi a bust… but the fact is that a rebuilding team should be smart enough to know that reaching on a 1st round right tackle this year isn’t as good as having a 2nd rounder this year AND a 1st rounder next year (even if it’s a late 1st rounder).

35. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

My only comment is you don’t know Seattle had an offer for a 20112nd rounder and a 2012 1st rounder on the table.

NE may have upped there offer when Seattle passed on the trade.

If it coes out that is what was offered you might have an argument.

As for Carpenter over Carimi my understanding is Carimi is a LT. Seattle has some guy at LT who is supposed to be kinda OK. Carpenter can play all line positions except center. I’ve never seen anything where Carimi is anything but a LT

36. Whatever the case – will be nice to see Locklear out of the lineup – which seems to be the plan. That guy has stunk it up for 3 yrs running.

Maybe we get a guard today?

I’m hoping Stephen Paea falls. And I’ll be curious to see if the are able to somehow re-coop a third.

38. yellaman says:

All I know is that locklear is not the guy @ RT and lets see what happens in day 2 of the draft

39. jchawks08 says:

Can somebody please fly out to Minnesota or wherever BobbyK is from and give the man a hug? Sheesh. Lighten up, dude.

40. Palerydr says:

BK remember YOU are NOT the GM of the Seattle Seahawks YOU DON’T KNOW what was OFFERED. Even if it was offered and to not take the offer you have no control over the process. I really enjoy your commentary BK but maybe you should listen to a few of the folks here and come back from the ledge. I mean you have for months now wanted them to pick an OL right?

41. Bobby, We know they could have traded the pick down for more picks. We know Schneider looks at those opportunities and didn’t take them; he’s done this for a living for years.

I think its pretty obvious that Schneider passed up trade opportunities because they did not want to risk missing out on Carpenter. Cable is the new asst head coach, and Carpenter is the tackle Tom Cable wanted.

Thursday’s decision will ultimately be judged on how this move helps build the Seahawks new O line. If Cable delivers a great O line within a couple of years, we will al look back and cheer this move.

42. williambryan says:

I’m glad the team didnt select Carimi. there were quite a few line needy teams and NONE of them took Carimi. Two GAURDS were picked ahead of Carimi (who still hasnt been picked). I think Carpenter is going to be just fine. but yes, obviously if there was an offer of a second and a first next year that should have been the move.

43. Sarcasticus says:

I am ok with this pick. Duke and I discussed this pick a while back. I have watched every Alabama snap for the past 10 years. Carpenter does not stand out to me either positively or negatively. I would not label him a “mauler” or “road grader.” He is good at mirroring the defensive end or stone-walling them when they bull rush, but I can’t remember seeing him impose his will on the defense.

I don’t know what position they plan on playing him. I saw the OG next to his name when drafted and I guess that is why some have been prompted to calling him a guard, but he played left tackle for Alabama.

I think he could be a good (not great) guard or RT. I was not excited by this pick (and I live in Alabama!), but this crappy team did not get any worse with this pick. I was hoping they would pick him in the second round. Bowers better have a knee condition that keeps him from playing because that would have been an amazing pick (or even Smith).

Something else that bothers me is the fact that he didn’t make it at Iowa St. due to academic reasons, and I distinctly remember Mike Jones commenting on how Carpenter was having difficulty picking up the offense in his first year after transferring. I hope whatever scheme is going this year in Seattle, that he can pick it up quickly. He needs to get in now and get the reps.

Oh, and enough of the hyperbole of how he was “blowing open holes” for the Alabama running game. The Alabama running game this year was not nearly as dominant as it was two years ago. Besides, a line made up of Duke, Bobby, Stevos, Mr. Williams, and myself could look good with Ingram and Richardson running behind it.

Day 2, will Mallett be there and should the ‘Hawks grab him?

44. nighthawk2 says:

Bookend tackles??? I have to believe that Carpenter will be playing guard unless there is an injury to Sean Locklear. Should be a road grader there. But if they were looking for a right tackle, Derek Sharrod was the better choice, and they didn’t choose him. So either they can’t evaluate OL talent any better than Tim Numbskull could at this end of the draft (which I don’t think is the case), or they plan on Carpenter playing guard. Perhaps they’ll get around the QB question by trying to become a power running team, where they’re not so reliant on the passing game?

45. Hell no. Bobby, don’t calm down–state your peace bro. I may not agree with you, but venting is what this blog is for! Btw…I’m not too sure anything was particularly intense or agressive that BK said anyways…

I’m personally happy that they got their guy. I sure do hope he proves them right! Welcome Mr. Carpenter!!

Sarcasticus – I couldn’t remember who that was during Sr Bowl week that was the Alabama fan. Nice, I remember you saying those things then. And I too have read about his ability (or lack thereof) to learn multiple positions, like tackle and guard, even though he scored a 20 on the wonderlick.

nighthawk2 – They need to re-sign Lock first. And both Carroll and Cable have said Carpenter is the de facto starter at RT right now.