Morning links: A new name for Qwest Field?

Post by Eric Williams on March 24, 2011 at 9:05 am with 35 Comments »
March 24, 2011 4:44 pm
Qwest Field (AP file photo)

According to Ross Boettcher of the Omaha World-Herald (hat tip to Brian McIntyre), Qwest Field will get a new name – CenturyLink Field. According to the report, Monroe, La.-based telecommunications company CenturyLink is expected to close its $22 billion merger deal with Qwest Communications on April 1.

UPDATE:
According to the team, they have not been notified by CenturyLink what the company’s intentions are regarding the naming of the stadium. The Seahawks contract with Qwest runs through 2014.

Here’s an excerpt of the report:

“CenturyLink’s name and green sunburst logo will replace everything — from trash cans and hand dryers, to uniforms and the giant outdoor signage — that currently carries the name “Qwest” and its “Q” emblem.

CenturyLink will pay for the expansive branding makeover, bringing a new flavor to Omaha’s skyline and name recognition to the company — something its leaders covet, since the company is mostly unknown to many Nebraskans who soon will be its customers.

All Qwest properties — including Qwest Field in Seattle, home to the National Football League’s Seattle Seahawks and Major League Soccer’s Seattle Saunders, and Qwest Arena in Boise, Idaho — will transition to the CenturyLink name and brand, said Danny Pate, who will serve as vice president and general manager for Nebraska operations.”

Doug Farrar of Sportspressnw.com discusses the possibility of the Seahwks selecting a cornerback in the first round.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com profiles former Seattle defensive end Michael Sinclair, who was voted onto the 35th Anniversary team.

Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post does a nice job of breaking down the strength of the arguments of the owners and the players heading into the April 6 preliminary hearing in U.S. District Court in Minnesota.

NFLStatsAnalysis.net provides Wonderlic scores for most of the league quarterbacks the past 20 years. Harvard-educated Ryan Fitspatrick heads the list with a 48.

According to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post, the Seahawks met with Connecticut linebacker Lawrence Wilson during his pro day.

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams GM Billy Devaney after guest speaker political consultant James Carville took a shot at the NFC West during a get-together of NFL owners in New Orleans. Carville made a joke, calling the teams in the NFC West as weak as the Republican candidates for president.

Chad Reuter, senior draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, offers some risers and fallers in this year’s draft.

Morning links

That list of Wonderlic scores brought back some names I had totally forgotten about. Michael Bishop anyone? That guy had one of the strongest arm I’ve even seen in college. Sadly, he’s on the wrong end of that list.

Qwest Field. CenturyLink. I just wish they’d make the end-zones blue again, lol. Thank-you soccer.

If the ‘Hawks were able to pick up Jalil Brown in the 4th, I would be ecstatic. But I imagine he’ll be long gone by then. (Damn, I miss that third…)

2. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

I’m not a fan of football, or the Seahawks, or the players, or the NFL … I’m a fan of Qwest Field. That’s why I tune in each week during the season. To see the turf, the stands, and hear the noise from the fans. If they change the name, I’m sorry, I just can’t follow the team anymore.

The labor dispute is bad enough. Then you have the uncertainty with the QB situation, and all the changes in leadership and the poor performance in recent years. As bad as all that is, I can deal with it.

This name changing debacle is just the last straw. Who’s with me here?

3. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

Grabs goldfish bowl from secretary’s desk …

“Who’s with me?”

4. CenturyLink Field??? You’ve gotta be frickin’ kidding me!

“CenturyLink is expected to close its $22 billion merger deal with Qwest Communications on April 1.”

Ah, April 1st, huh? Good one, Eric!

5. I”m with you snacking on goldfish, but I’m out when your secretary starts inflicting a beat-down.

6. Dear James Carville,

How’d your beloved Saints do vs the NFC West in games that counted? Suck it you Gollum looking freak!

xoxo

JoSCh

Lol. Carville is a funny (and funny looking) dude. He’s a political wildman and a bloodthirsty strategist. I’d have drinks with the guy.

8. SideWalk_Hawk says:

CenturyLink, Quest what’s the difference? They could call it the turd bowl, as long as we have the team which measured out a historic beatdown to the New Orleans Saints.

I mean, where were you when the Beast Quake erupted from that place? I’ll never forget that stadium at that moment. Call it what you want, there is no better place to watch football than that stadium…

9. I really like Qwest Field, it’s short and straight forward, then again, it’s just a name. Just wish the draft was closer, it’s still one months away? Damn it!

“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet; so Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, and for that name which is no part of thee take all myself.” Shakespeare

11. SideWalk_Hawk says:

Did Juliet say that? That’s a little deep for this blog… just sayin’…

12. dbreneman says:

It’s worth pointing out that if you live on Vashon Island or the lower Kitsap Peninsula, CenturyLink (by virtue of it’s purchase of PTI Communications, which purchased Telephone Utilities of Washington, which purchased Island Empire Telephone, which purchased Finholm’s Telephone) has sorta been the local phone company for generations. Welcome to the fold, Pacific Northwest Bell.

“Qwest” was always a doofy sounding name, anyway.

13. Istillknowalotmorethanyou says:

The Seattle Saunders play there? Well, that’s news to me.

SideWalk_Hawk – Indeed she did. lol

15. Wow.. Quest Field is a lame name.. but I always took solace that it was not as bad as other corporate named fields out there… not any longer.. CenturyLink field will rank up there with PetCo Park as the worst.

16. In layman’s terms, Dukeshire is in love with the Seahawk’s stadium and could careless what we call it.

The reason I like the name Qwest Field for the Seahawks is because it suggests they’re on a quest.

I think they should call it CenturyLink Stadium; it has better rhythm and alliteration than CenturyLink Field.

17. Shakespeare? Wow, very cultural!

18. maddog12 says:

The new nick names are gonna be fun…start with the obvious MissingLink Field or ChainLink Field.

Actually, I’d prefer Seahawk Stadium, as was originally intended. I posted that from Romeo & Juliet in response to SideWalk_Hawk’s post. But ultimately it’s true, I don’t give a rip what the structure is named, I call it home. And I do love it, lol!

I couldn’t agree more about CenturyLink Stadium, rather than … Field. Flows much better.

20. SideWalk_Hawk says:

Simply “The Link”. That sounds Questish… My vote goes to Seahawk Stadium. Those will always be the good old days…

21. CenturyLink Circle or Linkage Park. Hopefully we will get a ring in the next CenturyLink. Just call the mFer Seahawks Stadium who cares what the name says on it.

22. How much is CenturyLink going to fork over for the privilege of renaming the former named field?Will the name be morphed into CenturyStink?Will the centurylink customers be asked to pay higher phone bills for this dubious honor?Just wondering,since there seems to be a lot of unanswered questions.

23. Kevindot1 says:

It will always be Seahawks Stadium to me…

sincere – I don’t think it will cost anything other than the cost of changing the physical structure. Due the the merger, all things Qwest will now be known as CenturyLink.

25. Soggybuc says:

I’d bet that there is language in the original naming deal that gives the Hawk’s the right to quash such a change if the see fit. so it will only change if they pony more money than just the costs to change everything.
    If no such language exists the Hawk’s need to find better lawyers.

26. dbreneman says:

The stadium doesn’t belong to the Seahawks. It belongs to the taxpayers of Washington who voted not to build it, if you will remember.

27. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

LOL, I think some people actually thought I was serious. I guess my tone of voice and non verbals don’t really come across on a written comment.

LOL, my bad.

28. Soggybuc says:

HAHA, the wonderlic thing is over rated. all scoring 15. Bradshaw, Kelly, Marino, R. Cunningham and McNair. all those guys had pretty OK careers.
    And then right near the top is Huge Melon AKA the coach killer.

29. Unless we’re talking about Wrigley, Fenway, or Lambeau, there’s really no sacred cow in sports (stadiums) anymore. Maybe Yankee Stadium, but we all know the new Yankee Stadium really isn’t the real Yankee Stadium. They all have stupid names, so if we have one of those dumb names, we’re no different than anyone else.

30. BobbyK –
    Aren’t you up there in Vikingland? Did they ever get the Metrodome fixed?

31. HA! saw this after i made my above comments!

Nice to see UW as one of the best at player scoring well on the wonderlic.

32. SandpointHawk says:

Eric~ Kudos to the IT Department for fixing the load time on the blog. It’s much faster now….

33. Kevindot1, I’m with you.

It will always be Seahawks Stadium to me.

34. SharkHawk says:

I say call it “taxpayer stadium”, and then let them vote on what to call it (if anything else) at some point. They paid for the majority. I’m all for naming it for a person or thing. Pete Gross stadium. Royal Brougham stadium. King County Stadium. Puget Sound Stadium. Mike Holmgren Field. Football/Futbol Seattle. Something. Anything. Why does Paul get the rights to keep collecting cash for selling the name on a stadium that he didn’t pay as much as everybody else? I realize he was the single largest individual contributor… but he is also the one who benefits from the profits on it.