Morning links: Lockout looms

Post by Eric Williams on March 3, 2011 at 8:32 am with 29 Comments »
March 3, 2011 9:56 am
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell arrives for football labor negotiations with the NFL involving a federal mediator, Wednesday, March 2, 2011, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune provides some perspective on the inevitable lockout the NFL appears headed for at 9 p.m. Pacific time today when the current CBA expires, with the owners and players apparently unwilling to budge on a new CBA. For the Seahawks, the deadline represents a final day to get a deal done with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck before he becomes a free agent.

Boling:

“That he’s 35 and has been injured a great deal creates limits on his contract value to the team in terms of years and dollars. From his perspective, it may make better business sense to enter the open market – whenever that might happen.

“Seahawk management has conceded that the quarterback issue is absolutely fundamental to the franchise’s future. If there were conviction that Hasselbeck’s being retained is the best option, it seems that a deal would have been struck by now.

“But without a labor deal in place, no one will have a clue where the Hawks stand relative to the most important position on the field.

At least for a while.”

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports says if there is a lockout, look for the CBA battle to drag out in court.

Ray Ratto of CBS Sports has an interesting take on the NFL labor situation. It’s worth a read if you’re looking for a chuckle this morning.

Take a look at this PDF chart on major stoppages in pro sports.

My story from today offers some perspective from Seahawks players on the likelihood of a lookout, along with their contingency plans and Seattle’s free agent priorities.

Howard Balzer of the SportsXchange reports that the Seahawks released quarterback Nate Davis. Perhaps this is a sign that they like this year’s QB class.

Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network reports that Hasselbeck rejected Seattle’s latest offer.

Pat Kirwan of the NFL Network has the Seahawks taking Temple defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson in his first mock draft as insurance against with Red Bryant returning from injury.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com has Seattle selecting cornerback Jimmy Smith in his new mock draft, while his colleague Chad Reuter has Seattle selecting Iowa defensive lineman Adrian Clayborn.

Morning links

Eric, That’s 9 p.m. Pacific.

Nate Davis released? I’m a bit surprised considering how (potentially) bare the cupboard is there. (At least with an eye to the future.)

This lockout just makes me sick. (Thought I’d just throw that out…)

2. My bad on that Dukeshire. Thanks. It’s been changed. I’m a little bit surprised by Nate’s release as well. Charlie Whitehurst is the only quarterback on the roster right now. Should be some moves coming at that position this offseason.

3. Duke –
    The lockout makes me sick too, and so does not having Matt re-signed by now. I don’t want Hasselbeck to have to take a cut, especially if the new cap ends up being around $200M(?) Top QBs have been getting like $25M/yr. Wasn’t Walt paid like $10M for his last year when he never saw the field. PA’s always been generous with his players. If Bevell means going back to a more Holmgren-like offense, it just doesn’t make sense to jettison Hasselbeck now. It’s like standing under the open end of a black cast-iron pipe, looking up and wondering what’s coming next?

4. This blog is about to turn 5-11 Mora, Ruskell, cluster Hutch, ugly from the greed, lack of football related news, and potential 2011 FA, Draft, Season disaster looming on the horizon. I may check out for a few months and wait this thing out.

5. Ya know, I’m going to be pissed if Hasselbeck jumps ship to play for a division rival like Favre did. And, if he does, I’m going to boo him if they eventually invite him to raise the 12th man flag.

Remember Diehlman who accepted a smaller contract to play for San Diego? Where the hell is that kind of loyalty?

Most of like Hass but the fact is he was never an elite QB. He was an above average QB who played on a team coached by a legend.

Since then, he’s been injured and his play has fallen off. And, the fact is CW deserves as much credit for our “playoff run”, such as it was, as did Hasselbeck.

Cut, the crap Matt…you’re not getting lowballed…that’s not our style.

Accept a reasonable offer and be damn happy about making more in one frickin’ year than many people see in their entire lives.

He’s not a future HOFer and he shouldn’t be paid like one.

6. Not only does it leave only one QB on the roster. but it makes no sense to release anyone at this time unless they are injured (or dumping salaries). You don’t have full rosters. You aren’t paying them.

Sometimes these guys make odd roster moves!!!!!!

7. If Hass thinks he can get more money in free agency then power to him. I don’t think they should re-sign him for crazy money. If Hawks management think they are actually going to be competitive in the years to come then cut him and get a qb in the 1st or 2nd round. If you have seen our schedule next year it is brutal and 6 wins will be wishful thinking. Hass has been great for the Hawks but it is time for him to go elsewhere so we can start a new chapter. Hass is not going to all of sudden get healthy but the other way around, more and more injuries especially if he stays in Seattle.

8. Yeeaaah…I hope the ‘Hawks don’t pay him the same as Collins.

9. He’s missed 13 games the past three years, so there is no reason to believe he’s going to play in more than 12 games next year, so whatever salary he is offered should be considered in that context.

10. Anyone want to see Gallery in Seattle? Nasty.

11. I don’t think Matt should get a raise either.

I think part of the problem is the owners want to lower the salary cap to 2005 levels or something like that. so I am sure teams don’t want to write a big contract now and then be hand cuffed if the cap goes down.

if Matt was brought back at the same level as last year with incentives then I think that would be fair, but hey if he thinks he can get more – it would suck to see him leave, but if I could make more money somewhere else than I work now, I would definitely be moving on.

12. I love Matt, and I love everything he’s done for this franchise, but if he wants out because of money, let him.

As for a world without a 2011/2012 NFL season? Man oh man, don’t even want to think about that, I love college football, and since I’m european, I still have soccer to love, but it would be pretty depressing to not see NFL for a season.

13. agavemonkey says:

A raise? Agreed, there is no reason Matt should get a raise. As Audible pointed out, many injuries over the past several years. Throw in a few 4 interception ball games and where does he deserve a raise based upon last years performance? Agree with xcman, a fair deal with incentives makes sense but I think Matt is in a pretty good situation to ask for more given the QB openings in the division and league. Can’t blame him for trying. I say let him test the market and lets see if we can work something out later. No reason to commit right now.

14. MattandCindy says:

If Matty really wants to test the waters, then that sucks. Hopefully, nobody offers him $12+ million a year and he decides to come back. Either way, if we can get Gallery from OAK to play LG, it really shouldn’t matter too much who’s back there anyway. With a dominant left side, we can just unleash the beast over and over and over and over. Then a PA dumpoff from Whitehurst for a quick 7-10 yards. Then unleash the beast over and over and over and over.

I LIKE IT.

15. I’d argue that Matt’s hurting this team by holding out. Why?

Because QB is the most important position on the team, and we are going to enter the lockout with uncertainty at that position.

Uncertainty at QB will surely affect our draft strategy, and probably cost us a high draft pick that could have been used elsewhere to shore up one of the other gaping holes we have on this team.

With Matt signed, at least we would have the flexibility to try to find a QB in the draft, FA, or via a trade to add depth while we see if CW can take his game to the next level.

Now we really have no choice than to roll the dice with a high pick in a draft that is unusually weak at QB.

Combine this with the fact that Matt does not deserve to make more than he did last year, and probably a lot less, it’s starting to look like Mr. Seattle is showing some of his true colors.

And, for the record, I haven’t been a MH basher…but this is really annoying the hell out of me.

16. chuck_easton says:

I’m lucky to live in the land of Hockey. There is at least 2 hockey games on TV every night from October through June.

For July-September I can watch CFL football and baseball.

No college football to speak of up here, but I have to admit my 13 year old plays hockey and football (It’s what you do in Canada, especially if you are 13 years old 5′ 11″ tall and weigh 212 lbs) so I live at the football field August through October and the Hockey arena (4 nights a week) from September through March.

I’ll miss my Sunday Seahawk games but not as much as my friends to the south will.

17. chuck_easton says:

Matt may not be talking but his brother sure is:

If that really is what Matt thinks he’s going to get well it’s been nice knowing ya and good luck with that.

18. Remember what an ass Big Walt was for not reporting to camp on time for 50 years in a row? How about Okung not reporting on time last year? What about the hate for Trufant after he had been franchised and before he signed the long term deal? Afterall, he was “handcuffing” Ruskell and the ability to sign others. Whenever a player doesn’t it sign, it’s always that they are the greedy jerkoffs. Nevermind that the NFL is set up for the owners to make millions and millions per season (why won’t they “open” their books?). How many of you would want to work for less than what you think you can get at your company? Granted, people like us make thousands, rather than millions, but you get the point. Although I admit 100% that players are overpaid, they are not overpaid with respect to what they are worth in the capitalist world of the NFL.

19. If there’s no football season, It would be pretty devastating for the economy…. There are a huge number of jobs involved/connected with
    each game in each city… not to mention the impact on sports bars, etc…..

A big, big impact…..

20. I think the Seahawks want Matt back. I think Matt wants to be back. I think Matt wants assurances that he’s going to be the guy for the next couple of years and I don’t think the organization is willing to fully grant that request. They may want to draft a rookie and potentially play him sooner rather than later. I don’t blame Matt for that stance and I see the point of the organization too. I hope Matt is resigned and he plays for two more years and that we can get a QB in the first round this April and he’s able to learn so he can receive the torch in a year or two (depending on injury).

21. I have to agree with Bobby. There’s no reason to get pissed at players who are unsigned at this point. Until there is a CBA and the free agent signing period is set, there’s no incentive for anyone to settle a new contract.

But the ways its looking, players testing free agency will probably be disappointed with the money available to them once the dust settles, and most will do well to get back with their old teams. Patience.

22. chuck_easton says:

I’m not pissed at Matt. If he thinks he can get that kind of money more power to him and good luck. “So long, and thanks for all the fish” to quote the dolphins… (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe).

I just don’t think the Seahawks should be the team to give it to him.

23. It depends on the player…Hass hasn’t earned what PA paid him the last three years, and now he wants a raise and is using the lockout as leverage to get it.

24. So Hass avg’d about 8 Mil per yr…. wonder what he’s looking for now…. According to Sando, Kurt Warner made about 11.5 Mil coming after the Super Bowl…. Interesting, interesting…..

To paraphrase O’Neil, both parties have kept the details of the negotiation private. We can guess it’s purely about dollars but we don’t know. And as for his brother bumping his gums, not the first time that’s happened and I put little stock into what he says.

Has there been a high profile or important player (to their team) re-signed yet this off-season? I can’t think of one. The players who have re-signed are generally for the vet minimum or are non-starters. To me this is not a coincidence with the CBA expiring in 6 hours. That has as much to do with Matt not re-signed at this point as does whatever gulf there is between the ‘Hawks and him concerning years and / or dollars. At least, IMO.

26. MattandCindy says:

Why would Atogwe sign with the Redskins? That had to be a money deal. The Redskins? Just zany…

27. Personally, I really hope Matt is resigned and we get a guy like Gallery and Rice to give him legit offensive talent. I want to see what he still has left in the tank with talent around him. Sure, the offense won’t be perfect (still somewhat of a hole on the right side) but not many offenses are pefect and other QBs have to make-do with that. To me, it’s just that Matt has had too many holes in comparison to others. Yet, if the organization does cut ties, with his age and injury history, I won’t be ready to burn the VMAC down either (but won’t be happy either).

28. Re the draft, I strongly feel our 1st round should either be OL or QB.

29. Sarcasticus says:

The Seahawks would have a great young defense if all these mock drafts came true.

I agree with Bobby and hope after Matt has a chance to establish his value by visiting other teams, Matt is resigned to re-sign with the Seahawks.