UW’s Locker ready to answer critics

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:29 am with 21 Comments »
February 25, 2011 11:58 am

University of Washington quarterback Jake Locker appeared polished and poised while talking to reporters today at the NFL scouting combine.

And he alluded to one of the reasons he went back to school for another season instead of coming out last year was taking more time to get ready for both the league and the fishbowl that is the draft process.

“As a player and as a person I’m more prepared for this process,” Locker said. “Doing things like this, and going through this process and being comfortable going through it.”

Locker said he’ll throw and do everything but lift in terms of the workouts this weekend.

He’s been working with former NFL quarterback Ken O’Brien in Irvine, Calif. in preparation for the combine. He’ll be down there for a few more weeks, and then return to Seattle to work with the receivers he will be throwing to at his pro day at the University of Washington, which takes place on March 30.

He also said a potential baseball career has been put on the back burner, and the football is and has always been his top priority.

“I’m a fan of this game and always have been, so to be a part of this process that I enjoyed watching so much as a kid, it’s a cool opportunity,” he said.

Locker also knows that his accuracy issues will be the main question he has to answer here and Indianapolis and moving forward.

“It’s something that I knew coming into this that would be one of the big points of question, and so I’ve prepared for it and I’m ready for it,” he said.

Asked to describe his strengths and weaknesses, Locker had this to say: “I think to be able to bring good character into a locker room, someone that guys can trust and believe in. I also believe I have the ability to improvise with my legs and extend plays, give guys the opportunity to work down field.

“And I don’t think it’s a secret to anybody, but moving in the pocket and throwing in the pocket is something I’m working to improve on.”

Locker cited Aaron Rodgers as a guy he likes to watch in the league right now, because of his ability to extend plays.

NFL Draft
  1. I like well-spoken quarterbacks. I like them even more when they can throw the ball to recievers.

2. #2 all time UW passing yards. I’d say he found a few.

3. Seems like a good guy, lots of potential, loads of questions, I’ll love following him in the NFL.

He was with Mike Mayock and Brian Billick this morning on NFL Network. He seemed nervous up until they started asking him specific football questions, then he really relaxed. Spoke in detail about their first OT possession against the Beavers, this past season. Mayock was asking about what the defense was showing and what his reads were, etc… He’s a sharp kid (at least regarding football) and an easy guy to root for. It will be interesting to see his workouts this weekend.

5. Ken OBrien?

6. Hmmm… any irony in his number!!!!??? LOL!

What the hell? That link doesn’t work at all. Try this…

8. Orian–

Yeah, he found a few. The question is, can he be an accurate qb in the pros. I’m not rooting against him by any stretch, I think it’s great seeing local guys do well. I just wonder whether having a mobile qb with intangibles and a shite completion %, is what we want as our long term answer at qb for the ‘Hawks.

9. for those who didn’t see this piece on NFL Net yesterday, Locker really handled himself well with the tv cameras on while taking live questions from Mayock and Billick.

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Locker will be a great pro, he reminds me a LOT of Aaron Rodgers did coming out of Cal – A little rough around the edges, but TREMENDOUS potential and the work ethic to reach it!!!

11. ACIB–

I hope you’re right. I can’t help rooting for him. Hopefully there will not be a JakeLockerIsBust popping up on the blog–unless of course the 9′rs draft him. ;)

Rodgers was much more polished thanLocker, coming out. And statistically, there’s no comparison. Perhaps their styles remind you of one another.

13. Stevos…. Thx for the link on Locker…. a fun watch…. You’re right, he handled himself well… not everything was positive coming at him… Hard not to like the way he handles the media…. reminds me some of Hass….

14. If Jake Locker was from anywhere else no one here would even mention him.
    2nd round or early 3rd draft spot, not a first.
    Gotta get the boys the ball and he has not proven to be accurate enough.

15. MauMau, that’s an exaggeration. Pro scouts have been talking about Locker since his amazing Junior year, and if he had played on a better team they would probably be talking about him even more.

Locker might not be NFL-ready and so might not be a first-rounder, but Favre, Montana, and Brady all left college with lots of flaws to work on and none of them were first rounders either.

16. freedom_X says:

According to Paul Allen (the broadcaster for the Minnesota Vikings, not the one with the 500 ft. long yacht :) )

Allen loves Jake Locker and actually wants Minnesota to draft him. Says Rick Spielman stated Spielman’s interview with Locker was the most impressive one Spielman had ever conducted in his pro GM/personnel director career.
    It could be that Minnesota loves the guy – it remains to be seen if they pull the trigger @12.

Stated Mike Mayock as saying Locker’s accuracy problems seem to stem in large part to his footwork – Mayock saying Locker’s footwork is still more like a baseball player than a football player (whatever that means.) If Locker can correct his footwork problems, it could solve his accuracy issues.

That would explain why Locker looks like he has good mechanics throwing the ball, especially in terms of throwing motion, but is still inaccurate.

Allen also compares Locker to Brett Favre – saying both had excellent athletic ability coming out and strong arms, but accuracy issues. If Carl Smith is a Holmgren-like perfectionist, then it could work out.

I really wonder why Seattle wasn’t interested in bringing in Zorn though.

17. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I’m terrified that we pass on Locker, some team drafts him, makes a minor tweak to his skills and he becomes an amazing NFL QB for many years to come.

18. Freedom x, maybe zorn never wanted to come back or sea never reached out to him.

19. Sarcasticus says:

“If Jake Locker was from anywhere else no one here would even mention him.”

He was the preseason #1 college player on many boards and considered in the Heisman running. So, I guess you are saying that folks in the great NW don’t follow #1 prospects outside of the northwest. Interesting.