First look at the draft: Receivers

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm with 24 Comments »
February 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Since 2000, the Seattle Seahawks have drafted 11 wide receivers, but none have developed into a consistent Pro Bowl performer.

The highest pick during that stretch was Koren Robinson, selected ninth overall in the 2001 draft. A talented athlete with big-play ability, drops and off-the-field issues derailed his chances of becoming a Pro Bowl performer.

In fact, the Seahawks have not had a wide receiver in the Pro Bowl since Brian Blades made it in 1989. So it’s been awhile since Seattle has had a consistent, big-play threat on the perimeter.

By signing starting wide receivers Mike Williams and Ben Obomanu to three-year deals, Seattle locked up a solid, young nucleus for the team at this position moving forward. Still, you have to wonder where the explosive plays will come from on a consistent basis. Will Williams and Obomanu continue to build on last year’s breakout seasons? And how will youngsters Deon Butler and Golden Tate develop under the tutelage of veteran receivers coach Kippy Brown?

And will the Seahawks consider adding another playmaker to this group with the team’s No. 25 overall pick, with four receivers with big-play potential available in the first round?

Rob Rang, senior draft analyst for, thinks Seattle will address other needs with that pick.

“Wide receiver is an area of concern; they need another playmaker,” Rang said. “But having invested the picks they have in back-to-back years in Deon Butler and Golden Tate, you’ve got to expect that these guys are going to start to contribute. To me, with the other needs on this team, to invest another pick at the receiver position is almost like a luxury pick at this point, especially considering they don’t have a third-round pick.”

That said, Rang and I take a look at some players Seattle would consider selecting in the first round.

Torrey Smth, Maryland, 6-1, 205 pounds

“He’s one of those guys where the intangibles are just off the charts. He’s a hard-working player who had a real tough upbringing, and has built himself up into a heck of a talent, and is a good person as well. So that’s the interesting thing about him. .. This is a guy who is 6-foot-1, 205 pounds and he runs like the wind. He’s a legitimate 4.3 guy who has been very productive as a receiver and a returner.”

A.J. Green, Georgia, 6-4, 212

Rang: “A dominant player since he stepped onto the field for the Bulldogs, Green’s height, hands and body control have drawn comparisons to Randy Moss.”

Julio Jones, Alabama, 6-4, 220

Rang: “Julio Jones reminds a little too much of Mike Williams for what the Seahawks do in that he’s a very physical player. I don’t know if he has the elite speed that you’re looking for. But at the same time, the way he can take over games as far as his ability to make the catch and simply shove defenders out of his way and run for long yardage, he reminds me of Anquan Boldin.”

Jon Baldwin, Pittsburgh, 6-5, 230

Rang: “Has ‘freakish’ speed at 6-5, 230 pounds, but is a better athlete than football player to this point.”

1. williambryan says:

I really think golden tate will be everything the seahawks could want and more. I think he was mishandled by the coaching staff because when he had the ball he seemed electric. I think it’s hard for anyone to anything with only two or three targets a game, if that. I think if he got 8-10 targets, great things would happen.

2. Carroll needs to figure out if it is possible for MIke Williams to gain speed in his second year back. If last year was as fast as he will get, he absolutely can not start next year.

His only move against an average or better CB was to run a few yards and then call for the lob pass with the CB draped all over him. That won’t get it done going forward, especially with his lack of “physicality.”

I don’t know that any of those players will even be around at 25. Green and Smith would be awesome, but long gone I believe.

BMW is never going to run away from anyone. And that shouldn’t be a problem since that’s not his game. What was a real concern was how in the Bear playoff game, Jennings (a much smaller player) was able to jam him successfully at the line. (And his odd streak of drops at times.) But as far as routes go, he’s capable of much more than “calling for a lob”. He runs digs and slugo as well as anyone on the team. Problem is, those routes take time to develop so they’re not always there for them. But it’s true, he’s not a true #1.

4. Sarcasticus says:

I think Tate got few touches because he couldn’t prove in practice that he was ever going to be where he was supposed to be. Even Hass said Tate wasn’t running the right routes.

As far as receivers, I would like to see the Seahawks take a flier on Greg Salas either in the 4th or 5th round.

I can picture him becoming quite the slot receiver and security blanket for whatever qb is piloting the ship. He wouldn’t be a true #1, but I don’t think the ‘Hawks have a high enough pick to get a true #1.

5. maddog12 says:

I think the Hawks, as Rob said, go Oline 1st rd. unless a true gem falls to them.

I have been wondering what Matt made this year and how it compares to a franchise tag cost. Just thinking of the cost of franchising Matt and wondering if it would be worth it to get just one year more out of him. Short term I am sure the cost would be high. But, next year NFC West suitors should have their qbs, Matt will be another year older, and Luck may actually come out if he does not decide to go on to grad school or break his leg or otherwise get himself mauled.

6. freedom_X says:

If there is a protracted lockout, it could hurt Tate a great deal. He has a lot to learn, and I didn’t see anything that indicated he was on the verge of getting it. I’m not down on him, but he needs all the offseason activities he can get.

Mike Williams is not a #1 right now, but he is certainly a solid starter as a #2 WR.

WR is probably the position I put the least value on. This is not to say it’s not important, but if I have tickets to pick 3 Pro Bowl caliber players to improve Seattle’s offense, I’m not spending any of them on WR. WR is frosting and Seattle doesn’t have the cake yet.

If a top-rated talent (i.e. Randy Moss type) slips to 25, absolutely Seattle should take him. But if it’s a choice between players of roughly equal value on the draft board, WR takes a back seat.

I’d be really surprised if 4 WR’s are gone before #25. That hasn’t happened in a long time.

Yes, that may have been a bit of hyperbole on my part. But 2 at least and perhaps 3 gone.

8. Hasselbeck doesn’t have the arm to take advantage of a Randy Moss but Green looks like he runs the ball like Dez Bryant. He’ll be long gone by 25 anyhow. QI Sports has him ranked 3 overall at this point. Hawks have more pressing needs and a run game would kick start Hass passing.

We can just forget about drafting a wide receiver in the first round. I will go out on a limb and say we will draft a defensive lineman with the first pick.

10. I think WR is the 2nd most important need on this team, and the lack of WR is the reason points haven’t been showing up on the board, especially in the red zone.

You see, a legit deep threat always has a corner and safety on him. Watch how Polamalu was all but neutralized by green bays deep threat. In return, a very average running back in james starks was able to grind out a decent game against the best defense in the league.

Since teams are able to consistently stack the box due to the unlikelihood of a deep ball, it makes it harder on the o-line to block more guys, makes it harder on the running backs to do more in the second level, if they can even get there, and makes it harder on the quarterback because there’s always a free man coming right at him.

Keep a safety playing deep, means one less guy is there to rush the passer, tackle the backs, and pick off hass in a short throwing game.

Seattle hasn’t had a legit #1 as long as I can remember.

11. I think seattle trades down for quite a few 2nd and 3rds, unless pouncey is available.

12. I wish Hawks had a 3rd. SD State’s Vincent Brown 5-11/184, 4.5-40 would be a nice addition. When S.Carolina’s sophomore WR Alshon Jeffery comes out he’d make a nice #1WR. He’ll go pretty early.

However we get one, we really need to get a stud receiver this year!

Brown tore up the Sr Bowl practices and played well in the game. Great hands.

15. IdahoHawk says:

Titus Young. Will be top two on the 40. Good hands, not great but good. I really don’t want to talk about drafting recievers. Let’s focus on the line. Focus on the missing link to this offense. Deon butler I think made great strides up to getting hurt. Receiving cor is not the MAIN problem

16. “Seattle hasn’t had a legit #1 as long as I can remember. ” RADEoN

Why sure they have. Shaun Alexander in 2005 led the league in rushing and set the record for TD’s, 28. In 2004 Curtis Martin had only one more yard than SA or he would have won the rushing title in consecutive years – if it hadn’t been for that back stabbing Holmgren. Looking back, it must have been an oversight on MH’s part because teammates often take pride in such accomplishments. i.e. Devin Hester and the Bears ST’s.

No way has the lack of a legit speedy #1WR shut down the run game. D-Jack was still here in 2006 and Engram stepped up in 2007. Missing was an all pro left guard, followed by the loss of an accomplished center and then the lead blocker in FB Mack Strong. Recent years, injuries have played a major roll plus the talent level is not there.

17. Sarcasticus says:

Pretty sure the comment about no #1 in memory was directed at the wr position (since that is what this blog post was about).

With that said, my memory goes back quite a bit. I watched Steve Largent who was most definitely a #1 during his time. Joey Galloway could be considered a #1.

Hell, I would be happy if they just drafted another Daryl Turner! Just heave it and let him go get it. 36% td to receptions would rock.

Yes! Turner the Burner!

19. Macabrevity says:

My wife will probably divorce me if the Hawks grab a wideout at #25, because that will mean we passed on an interior lineman, and likely reached on a 2nd round prospect at WR. As Duke said, those big gamers (depending on combine etc.) might not be there at #25. As I was saying, that will probably result in my rage trashing our TV and entire living room.

Seriously though, I could see us grabbing a ‘mysteriously falling’ QB if say a Mallet somehow slipped because of the emergence of a failed marijuana test form the 6th grade or something, but I’m really hoping we grab the best O-lineman available this year.

I actually like our wide receiver corps and am hoping we stand pat. We don’t need another ‘potential #1′ like Butler or Tate. Let’s give those guys time to develop. BMW is great for what he does too. I never understood why we cut ties with Jurevicius when we had him. He gave Matt that big target who could get things done without needing separation. BMW is that type of wideout, there will be games where he’s not able to get much done, but he definitely gives us that added dimension when we need it.

20. Macabrevity says:

Forgot what I wanted to say…

I’m not buying Torrey Smith as a 1st round talent. I see him more as a KR guy, but I didn’t see a lot of Maryland football, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.

21. HawkfaninMT says:

JJ left for less money to play in his home town

22. Like HawkfaninMT said, TR didn’t cut ties with Joe Jureviscious. He was offered more $$ to stay with Hawks but wanted to play in his hometown for the Browns. Caught a staph infection from their infamous training facility and ended up sueing them because it (at least partly) caused the premature end of his career. One thing I’ll credit Holmgren with – although I’m not sure he had anything to do with it – there haven’t been any more reports of Browns players coming down with major infections since he’s been there.

23. Macabrevity says:

Thx klm… didn’t know that. Can’t blame a guy for wanting to play in his hometown, but talk about bad luck, and having that town be Cleveland ;)