Poll: Will ‘Tez be enshrined this year? You decide

Post by Ian Swenson / The News Tribune on Feb. 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm with 34 Comments »
February 3, 2011 2:54 pm

The Pro Football Hall of Fame will pick its class of 2011 on Saturday with Cortez Kennedy being one of the 17 finalists. Typically three to seven players (and contributors) get elected each year. Against those odds, ‘Tez doesn’t have an easy road to enshrinement.

Take a look at the ballot below and cast your five picks for the Hall. Try not to fall prey to homerism and select Cortez just because you should. Carefully consider many of the other worthy candidates and see if you can justify your selection of the Seahawks DT.

Here are more details on the candidates if you need it.

Who would you select as the Hall of Fame class of 2011? (pick 5)

• Cortez Kennedy - DT (77%, 440 Votes)
  • Marshall Faulk - RB (72%, 414 Votes)
  • Deion Sanders - CB/KR/PR (69%, 398 Votes)
  • Cris Carter - WR (45%, 257 Votes)
  • Shannon Sharpe - TE (43%, 248 Votes)
  • Richard Dent - DE (27%, 155 Votes)
  • Ed Sabol - Founder of NFL Films (25%, 142 Votes)
  • Jerome Bettis - RB (23%, 129 Votes)
  • Tim Brown - WR/KR (22%, 128 Votes)
  • Andre Reed - WR (15%, 87 Votes)
  • Charles Haley - DE/LB (14%, 80 Votes)
  • Willie Roaf - T (12%, 71 Votes)
  • Curtis Martin - RB (8%, 44 Votes)
  • Dermontti Dawson - C (6%, 35 Votes)
  • Chris Doleman - DE/LB (5%, 28 Votes)
  • Les Richter - LB (2%, 9 Votes)
  • Chris Hanburger - LB (1%, 6 Votes)

Total Voters: 573

Loading ... Loading ...
  1. Cornutt says:

Hmmm, saying I can only vote for 1…

2. It’s allowing me to select only one.

I’d put 11 of those guys in the HOF, including Tez. The only players I’d put ahead of him are Sanders, Faulk and Sharpe.

3. Ian Swenson says:

Fixed. Apparently when I edited the title of the poll, it switched it back to one choice. Sorry about that.

Probably not. Hopefully so. Easley deserves better than this!

5. I would not put Dieon in ahead of Tez. Not saying he shouldn’t be there but I think Tez is more deserving!

I think Sabol gets in at some point. Sharpe is the #1 guy on their for me. I think he totally redefined the TE position. a blocker and a receiver. True stud! almost as good as his brother who had his career cut short!

6. I think Winslow was a better blocker AND receiver than Sharpe. Damn knee injury.

7. bird_spit says:

I want deion to eat some humble pie so wouldnt vote for him this year. Of course, that is my little protest for Mr Arrogant…

If ever a year that Tez would make it, it would be this year!

Sando’s piece on his NFC West blog is one of the more compelling cases I’ve read regarding Tez.

It’s a travesty Ed Sabol’s not in already. He’s done more to bring fans closer to the game than anyone else in the game’s history, IMO. He’s #1 for me on this list. Faulk and Sanders are in, no two ways around it. Then Tez. Then a case could be made for severl others.

I totally agree with Georgia, this is a great year for Tez. Hopefully they do the right thing.

11. Last Year’s (vike)/Seahawk HoFer speech: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=278&tab=Speech

My unbiased 5:
    1. Tez
    2. Sharpe
    3. Sabol
    4. Roaf
    5. Dawson

Wish there was an “Others We’d Prefer” category: Kenny Easley, Ricky Watters, Chuck Knox, Jim Plunkett, Lester Hayes, Ed “Too Tall” Jones, and Don Coryell.

Sanders doesn’t make it on your “unbiased” list? Wow.

13. BobbyK –
    Kellen Winslow was enshrined in ’95.

I think Bobby knows that. But took exception with the notion that Sharpe re-defined the TE position rather that Winslow. (Not that I need to speak for him…)

15. Cornutt says:

“Try not to fall prey to homerism and select Cortez just because you should.”

And while you’re at it, put some kibble in front of your dog and ask him not to eat it…

16. Duke –
    Yup, gotta give Neon his due. Shutdown corner, amazing returner, has 2 rings – he’ll definately be a 1st rd HoFer, but never struck me as much of team guy. He seemed (like TO) like an anti-Jerry Rice type personality. He got the business side of a NFL player down really well. He got to do all the $$$ endorsements he wanted by keeping his name out in front of the public, etc. He’ll get in because of his talent, but I’m not one who really wants to push the PT Barnum-type hype that the NFL has become.

Fair enough.

18. Sharpe was an excellent TE, but he probably doesn’t make it in either. T.Gonzales will probably be the next TE HoFer.
    If you take Sharpe’s stats and compare them directly to KW’s stats, Sharpe’s are better. If you see that KW’s injuries limited him to only 9 years compared to SS’s 14 years, and you multiply SS’s stats by 9/14 for comparison, you see that KW’s stats are a little better. But if you only took stats from SS’s first 9 years and compared them to KW’s you see they’re about even.

Right on klm008

If ever was a more incomplete player in the hof it is Sanders! Had to jump to a great 49er team to get the first ring. Then jumped to a great Cowboy team to get his second. Didn’t do much to get a ring while playing for the falcons though?
    In fact if you ever want to see some of the most funniest, pathetic tackling ever by a defensive back then watch Sanders.

20. And that’s just receiving stats. If you just look at Ditka’s receiving stats you’ld wonder how the heck he ever got enshrined. Ditka got enshrined mostly on his stats-less blocking, or maybe it was just his personality.

He may have been a poor (unwilling) tackler but he could play man, man-press, zone at an elite level and was arguably the most dangerous return man in the game, during his time. He was a brilliant corner.

Comparing the stats of a 1960’s era NFC Bear TE to a 1980’s AFC Charger TE is as skewed as they come. The numbers alone don’t even begin to tell the story of a revolution that Don Coryell helped begin.

Yes, Sanders was arguably the greatest athlete to ever play corner.
    Didn’t he run a 4.5 40 backwards?

23. klm – You don’t seem to understand that Winslow played after the knee surgery and he wasn’t the same player. They didn’t have the medical technology back then for athletes to come back as strong as guys today. If Curt Warner tears an ACL in 1984 it’s quite a bit different than a Walter Thurmond of recent history totally shredding his knee (and yet able to come back much sooner). Wouldn’t you agree?

I may hate Sanders but I will respect the ability he had to totally shut down opposing WRs better than anyone I’ve ever seen. Slime Time is worthy of the HOF in my books. Even though he couldn’t tackle, what he did do was amazing and certainly more than made up for his shortcomings.

Part of the reason I would love to sign, if possible, Asomugha is because he’s a blanket cover corner. I don’t care if he’s not the greatest tackler in the world. You can literally take a guy like him and set your defensive scheme so he will take out one of the opposing teams WR and play one-on-one, which will free up the rest of your defense to do so much more. That’s special because even Trufant, in his contract year, while Pro Bowl worthly, certainly wasn’t a guy we would have felt comfortable with with WRs one-on-one all of the time. When you have a chance to add a Slime Time to your team, you salavate at the opportunity to have that special of a truly shut down corner.

Lol. I know he says something like that, but I think I’d have to see footage.

Speaking of 40 times, didn’t the great Walter Jones run something like a 4.6 40 at the combine?

26. Wouldn’t it be fun to clone Walt and Hutch into twins. Walt could play left tackle and right tackle and the two Hutch clones could play left guard and right guard? Maybe even a triplet for Hutch so one of them could be groomed from birth to play center. I can’t imagine he’d be anything but good there too if he played there his entire life. They would only be allowed to practice and not play HS or college football or anything. Then, after they had been graduated from high school for three years, they could be signed onto one team as undrafted free agents (b/c nobody would know about them). That would be cool!

Georgia – Something like that. 4.7 is what I have stuck in my head. Either way it’s stupid. lol

This was a fun article from ’05 SI season preview on Walt.

The greatest left side to ever play the game! And probably the two greatest Seahawks to ever play the game!

29. That Oakland Raider left side in the ’70s was pretty special too.

30. Soggybuc says:

Slime Time? ROFL, yea i cant really cant stand the guy at all but there is no doubt he is a HOF worthy player so couldnt disagree with him making it even if the humble pie aspect would be awful nice as well.

I was going to rail about Ed Sabol being so low on the poll, but Duke’s statement above was well put so i’ll just endorse that instead. Steve Sabol should be a first ballot guy as well.

31. IdahoHawk says:

Maybe I need my memory refreshed. Curtis Martin? The same Curtis rb that played for the jets and patriots? He was good, but hof? S.A. is a shoe in. Deion…. that no tackling money grubbin mouth piece? Carter? Really? Dope nose Irvin made it in before Carter. That’s bulls shit. Carter should of made it in the firts year on the ballot. Is the ballot decided by S.B. wins or accomplishments? Tez should beat out most of these guys. This sucks. Look at QB ratings Hass has a qb rating way better than Bradshaw. Will Matt ever be in the hof? NO HE WONT. Ben tirdbuglar will though. I HATE TYPING FROM A CELL PHONE!!

That’s the same Curtis Martin. He’s 4th on the all-time rush leader list. (Hard to imagine, isn’t it?)

SA is a shoe in? To paraphrase you; the same SA that was a Seahawk and Redskin?

33. The Hall of Fame voting are sometimes as unfair as the pro bowl voting, in my opinion at least, some people who really deserves to be in, aren’t.

34. rramstad says:

IMHO the list this year is pretty thin. I’d like to think Tez makes it.