“Little fracture” doesn’t limit Herring

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm with 8 Comments »
January 13, 2011 7:04 pm

For my Friday TNT column, my interview with Hawk linebacker Will Herring went like this:

What’s the deal with the cast on your arm? “Just a little wrist fracture,” he says.

To one of the big arm bones or one of the little wrist bones? “I don’t know.”

What’s the treatment regimen for that? “You just cast it up and go with it.”

What happened? “I think a knee landed on me, but I’m not sure. I just thought it was
sprained a little.”

Which play? What part of the game? “I believe it was on a kickoff; I don’t remember
which one.”

Herring surely has the linebacker mentality. It has not limited him in practice this week and he certainly doesn’t expect it to be an issue Sunday against the Bears.

Herring also talked about his expanding role in the defense and his excitement over the win by Auburn, his alma mater, over Oregon in the BCS title game (he and Ben Obomanu flew down for it).

As for his teammate’s impressions of him, David Hawthorne said they call Herring “Mr. Consistent” because he’s always so well-prepared.

A longer look in the column tomorrow morning at the TNT.

Lol, awesome preview, Dave. I love it. Blue collar and hard nosed. Perfect.

2. Tough as nails. This is the first game in five years where Lofa is injured and I’m not too worried if he can’t play. Herring, Heater, and Curry are ready. If Lofa can lead them, all the better.

3. IdahoHawk says:

By sunday afternoon Chicago will know who Will Herring is. Love this guy. Bad Manny jammer.

4. IdahoHawk says:

Sorry. BAD MAMMY JAMMER

5. bayareahawkfan says:

I’ve been re-watching the game, and it occurs to me that there were several chances to pick off Brees which were missed:

– 3rd quarter, Cole tipped a pass which he could have put both hands on and int-Ed
    – 3rd qtr, Curry is underneath on a short pass, sees the play, and just doesn’t even try to catch it
    – 3rd qtr also – Tats offers at a pass that the younger version of himself would have caught and returned – maybe for a TD
    – 3rd qtr (?) – Hawthorne has a pick 6 if, in the words of Mayock, he “trusted what he saw”
    – 4th qtr – Clemons has an easy pick but demonstrates why he plays DE instead of WR

My point here is that I hope Gus et al are coaching these guys up about making catches when they have the chance thus weekend – we need to take advantage of Cutler in this way when he gives us the chance.

Our hope of winning depends on it.

6. bayareahawkfan says:

“this” weekend, “thus” weekend, what’s the difference :)?

“This is the first game in five years where Lofa is injured and I’m not too worried if he can’t play.”

What about the 11 games last season and 1 game in ’08?

8. HawkyHann says:

Lofa hurt, that’s weird. Doesn’t matter, either way our D will be ready. Herring is a stud.