Morning links: Hawks America’s lovable losers?

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 10, 2011 at 8:50 am with 18 Comments »
January 10, 2011 8:50 am
Seattle Seahawks receiver Mike Williams (Tony Overman/The Olympian).

John McGrath of The News Tribune says the Seattle Seahawks may be gaining steam as popular underdog in the playoffs.

McGrath:

“I’ve got no way of proving this, but I suspect the Seahawks are becoming a sort of trendy playoff contender appreciated by neutral fans.

“It’s as if the Hawks are the Pabst Blue Ribbon of the NFL: Devoid of pretenses, exceptional at nothing, they’re so removed from the realm of cool that they’re cool.

“Super Bowl aspirants typically win no fewer than 10 regular-season games. They boast six or seven Pro Bowl selections, and at least one consensus All-Pro.

“The Seahawks?

“Without a Pro Bowl selection, much less an All-Pro, they’re the hottest team in the conference, survivors of a loser-out game against St. Louis that found them grinding out the clock, then a playoff game against New Orleans that found them scoring four touchdowns and a field goal in a span of five possessions.”

Seattle held Chicago to just 24 yards rushing and held the Bears without a sack in the first contest between the two teams.

Here’s Marshawn Lynch’s run according to Tecmo in the video below.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated talks to quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who says Seattle used a play that the Bengal ran successfully against New Orleans earlier this season, the 7-yard touchdown to John Carlson where he faked a cut block on the backside and got open alone in the end zone.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post says the Seahawks head coaching job is one of the eight best in the country, and also offers some information on the best middle linebacker prospects coming out for this year’s draft.

Steve Rudman of Sportpressnw.com takes a statistical look back at Seattle’s Oct. 17 contest against the Bears.

Jim Moore of Seattlepi.com has caught Seahawks fever.

Pat Kirwan of the NFL Network says Seattle winning the field position battle was the key to the Seahawks win over the Saints.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune offers a sneak preview of the upcoming matchup between Seattle and Chicago.

Rick Morrisey of The Chicago Sun-Times says the Bears lucked out by getting a rematch with Seattle.

Morning links
  1. IdahoHawk says:

After on of the four TD passes, Hass was running down the field then just went down. Did the Saints player hit him in the junk? Thats what it looked like to me.

2. SeahawkFan12 says:

I refuse to read Jim Moore because he’s a f*cking idiot. Glad to hear he’s on he bandwagon, though.

That Tecmo video of Marshawn’s run was hilarious and awesome at the same time! I never tire of Steve Raible, and that was an all-time classic call.

3. http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Seahawks-Celebrate-Playoff-Victory/a5e3b290-ed23-4cd8-9b82-ca979503df07#?id=113a557f-ae83-4df8-b77b-a9594fe207b2

am i the only one who feels hasselbeck seemed irritated towards NFL Network? It’s like, you guys have ragged on my and my team for years now, and now all of the sudden you want to chat and be friends.

4. i’d like to smash irvins face in after the whole “they’re gonna play as hard as they can and put in a ton of effort *quirky grin* and they’re still going to get blown out” phrase.

You know, regarding TV personalities making their derogatory comments or otherwise ripping on Seattle, I’d have it no other way. Seattle fans have dealt with it since the very beginning. And quite frankly, a win like Saturday’s wouldn’t be as sweet if we weren’t able to look at all those boobs and morons and tell them to stick it. Take it personally and let them keep bumping their gums, their going to have to eat crow again Sunday afternoon!

BTW, that Tecmo highlight is awesome! Mad props to whoever put that together.

One stat that stands out to me is, QBs that start in their first playoff game are 5-19.

*they’re*

9. danjsloan says:

Lynch’s run and the crowd reaction showed up on the Richter Scale!!!

RADEoN – I don’t think so. That’s a long, emotional day and I’m sure he was a bit wrung-out. He seemed like himself to me, if not tired.

11. Ha! We’re the lovable losers who have ended the season of three teams with playoff aspirations…and cost a jack-ass of a coach his job.

I would take that nickname and wear it proudly!

12. Palerydr says:

I was in the stadium fellas and I was screaming as loud as anybody but I don’t remember the stands moving although I did a few times earlier in the game.

I’m glad I’m not the only person who thinks Jim Moore is a worthless talking head.

As for the rest of the Talking head pundits who pride themselves on being right, well that’s what they get paid for and honestly the Hawks winning gives them a great storyline for another week…….to be WRONG AGAIN! LOL

13. hambone08 says:

Palerydr-

I didn’t feel the stadium shake either but that’s because I was running up the 10+ rows behind me going nuts and high-fiving everyone sitting next to the aisles. I remember feeling the stands shake slightly during the Rams game so I’m not surprised they recorded a tremor during Lynch’s run – that place was off the wall crazy.

14. If we continue to get outstanding play from Hass and Lynch, getting to the Super Bowl is not as far-fetched as it once seemed. One game at a time, of course.

15. Devinc253 says:

Hasselbeck had one good game in a row.. Do you remember the last time he had 2 in a row…? Yeah, me neither
    I want them to win this weekend.. But, odds are Hasselbeck will come out and throw 2-4 ints

16. Yeah, I do remember. It was way back in …

Week 10: 333 yards, QB rating of 106.6
    Week 11: 366 yards, QB rating of 104.9

1 TD, 0 INTs in each game.