Seahawks 41, Saints 36: Playoff win party!!!!

Post by Ryan Divish on Jan. 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm with 86 Comments »
January 9, 2011 12:10 am
TNT photo/Joe Barrentine

Honestly, how many of you believed it was possible? Was it your heart saying, “yes,” and your head saying “well, maybe.”

I had my doubts. I think if you know football, you understood there was a reason to doubt.

But at the same time, I think you also knew that football is a funny game and everything we saw from the Seahawks when they were good was that they could compete with the Saints.

Always compete? I guess so.

With the exception of a little dry spell in the third quarter, this has to be one of the most complete games the Seahawks have played in the last four seasons. And they did so when it mattered most.

Everything Seattle needed to do win this football game, it did.

I think we can also end any doubt as to whether Matt Hasselbeck should have been starting this football game.

I’m sorry but a top 10 draft pick vs. this feeling.

1. How much fun was it to watch this game?

2. In terms of memorable runs, can you think of one better than Marshawn Lynch’s 67-yard touchdown.

3. If you didn’t believe in Matt Hasselbeck, do you now? If you did believe, how vindicated do you feel?

4. Who gets the game ball?

5. How fun will it be to hear all the pundits and experts eat crow after trashing the Seahawks all week?

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons?

General Seahawks
  1. SandpointHawk says:

What a great Win…I believe

2. Cornutt says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Atta boys! What a great damn win!!!! Draft picks smaft picks!!!!!!!

Yes, I did think it was possible. They did it. I’m speechless. (For now…)

4. This was one of the most nerve wrecking games I’ve ever witnessed, but yes, I believed we could do, I honestly did otherwise I wouldn’t have bet on it, I doubted our execution, but I believed in the W. And that Marshawn Lynch run is one of the best plays I’ve seen in my life. I can’t wait to hear the experts eat every single word (even though they probably won’t) 7-9 pride, we are in this one!!

5. How did that happen? I still can’t believe that happened!

6. Audible says:

UNBELIEVABLE!

7. I feel like I’m drunk (and haven’t had a drink). What a great feeling!

No matter who we agree with on the blog or do not agree with… this is a great feeling for all of us.

And if you’re a “Hasselsuck” hater and aren’t happy about eating some crow, well, then there’s something wrong with you if you can’t enjoy a game like that!

This feeling of joy is for every single one of us Seahawk fans equally! Enjoy the moment! Wow! What fun!

The early analysis is that this game about ranks right there for me with the AFC Divisional Win in Miami in ’83! Wow! Wow! Wow!

If you don’t have this on your face:

there’s something wrong with you!

8. IBGoofy says:

Awesome! Awesome!!! Yes, speechless and exhausted are the words!!!!

9. chadworth64 says:

Best game I have seen the Seahawks play in a while! Game ball goes to hass, who would have thought that he would play this well?! Every critique can suck it. Heres hoping for the bears! GO HAWKS!

10. princeaden says:

That my friends “KICKS ASS”!!!!!!!

11. Skavage says:

Wow…. Unbelievable. Best game they played all year. period.

12. Who do I wanna play next week. The Falcons just destroyed us and the Hawks beat the Bears.

Game ball to the D as a unit. Wow did they hold up after the first Qrt drives.

Pundit Shannon Sharpe picked the Hawks with Brock playin’ a monster game. Yahoo

13. bayareahawkfan says:

So pumped i cant collect my thoughts!!!

We’re looking to go back to Chicago. If it falls that way i think we have a chance…

Just happy:

1. We have a RB, sweet Jesus what a run!
    2. BMW made some plays
    3. Carlson returned from the dead
    4. That was one of the best game planned contests I’ve ever seen – our coaching staff is awesome
    5. ALIVE for another week while VD watches from his couch

SEA!!! HAWKS!!!!

14. 1. How much fun was it to watch this game?
    YEESSSSSSSSSSS!

Not off the top of my head

The only thing I got right about this game was that Matt should start. That said this is his best game in at least 3 years.

4. Who gets the game ball?
    Matt

LOL!
    6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons?

Bears

15. Audible says:

The Seahawks just shocked the world! We win next week, and NFC Championship, here we come…can you believe it? Nobody had the nerve to even suggest that this year.

16. ikuraman says:

1. How much fun was it to watch this game?

Best game in a long time.

not lately

I was a fan of the decision, but didn’t expect the game Matt just threw. Vindicated? No, but satisfied.

4. Who gets the game ball?

Matt Hasselbeck for sure!

Muy Fundido!

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons

Falcons.

17. IBGoofy says:

Pete Carroll & staff: THANK YOU!

18. sherminator says:

1. How much fun was it to watch this game?

Most fun I’ve had since Carolina in 2005

Not at the moment

I’ve always believed Matt could do it, but I feared he may not. He is the best competitors that the Seahawks have ever had.

4. Who gets the game ball?

Pete Carroll. The entire team was ready for this game. You have to give him props for keeping them believing in themselves.

Eat crow – are you kidding? South Alaska is still BFE to the East Coasters. Screw ‘em all.

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons?

Anybody – we just want to keep playing. I want that 32nd draft pick.

I thought seattle had a better chance to win this game than they did against the Rams!

20. I want the Bears too, I think they are a worse team compared to the Falcons. I don’t want them because we beat them earlier, because they seem like a different team now, but Cutler makes mistakes, Ryan don’t. This is sweet, I love the feeling of victory!

21. Audible says:

This is why we watch football! Did you see the stiff arm Lunch put on Porter? Almost knocked him into the Tacoma Dome!

22. devisscher says:

I wonder where all the fans are that wanted that high draft pick?

SEA
    HAWKS

23. seatowntp says:

Wow! Just WOW! It’s been a long time since a game has been that meaningful for the Seahawks. . . and they won. Wow! I have NO voice left and I was at home!!!

24. mocarob says:

where are the matty & marshawn haters?
    f you! (with both fingers)
    we won woo hoo!!!!!

25. 4. Who gets the game ball?

Lots of good choices – I am going with the OL

They won’t they will spend the entire weeks saying how NO choked and we will get crushed on the road!

26. freedom_X says:

Upset of the decade! (OK, since the decade’s only 1 year old, upset of the past 5 years…)

27. Cornutt says:

Hass played so well. So very well. Loved watching him play like he’s capable of and making good decisions. Man, that was fun. Special teams played incredible as well. Physical and smart.

My fingernails are completely trashed though. Small price to pay for this win:

28. Cornutt says:

“To Adam Schmoe (Schein) of Fox Sports – looks like New Orleans should have played their starters, no?”

Hahahahaha, exactly!

29. DFloydd says:

unbelievable!!! Carlson, Lynch, Hasselbeck!!! Defense!!!! hahahahahah suck it new orleans….and all lthe NFL network blowhards who i watched this morning laugh and say that seattle was going to be blown out…

this was one of the greatest seahawks wins i have ever seen!!! enjoy the long flight home Saints!!! suck it!! SUCK IT HARD ALL HATERS!!!!

hawks are now the most dangerous team in playoffs history! I love it!!!

30. DFloydd says:

and Big-ups to the O-Line!!! love Okung…he was knocking people around and getting into scuffles after plays to show he won’t let people knock his QB around…love it!!!!

1-It was fun! It also kept me on pins and needles. Whew!

2-No! That was a game changing run!

3-It’s just one game.

4- Matt.

5-They won’t much. They will just make excuses for the Saints!

6-Bears

32. hawkfan777 says:

Great game! Hass and Lynch really stepped it up. D played great and the o-line had one of their best games.

33. King Okung! What a game and what an inspiration.:)

34. hawkfan777 says:

I dont think the Hawks will be taken for granted next week.

35. The hawks will certainly still be taken for granted by the media, I’d put money on it. To most people we are still “the team with a 7-9 record”, and this game was only because of our home field advantage that we “don’t deserve”. Don’t forget all the Saints injuries and blah blah blah. They’ll find plenty of excuses to explain this win, as a Saints fluke.

36. Yes I think they will be taken for granted – who cares – go play hard, play smart and good things can happen!!

37. Best feeling since beating “skins in “05, which ended our 20 yr.playoff drought
    Brock, & Clemons brought it again, best smash mouth long run I can remember-can’t wait to hear Berman tonight “rumblin, bumblin, stumblin!” gotta love the double move! Go packers! How about our O-line!

1. How much fun was it to watch this game? A lot? Tons? Lol. Incredible win.

No. I think that may be the best run in Seattle history.

I’m, really happy for him. Hell of a game.

4. Who gets the game ball? Hass. Thomas. Brock. Lynch. Several people could.

They won’t. Harrison is leading the way by telling us all how flat the Saints were. And you know what? I couldn’t care less.

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons? Bears

39. I’m fine with the Bears next week and then the Falcons. We actually played the Falcons pretty tough until Matt’s fumble in the end zone in the 3rd quarter. And, remember, we stopped them on 4th down on that one early drive where they eventually got a TD but the refs gave them the 1st down. That play hurt.

I’m already excited to watch the replay of this game on NFLN this week.

40. No amount of draft position could have made the Seahawks better for the future than young, core guys like Okung and Thomas experiencing play-off football! And knowing what it takes to win!

41. Didn’t we hold Falcons to the fewest yards they’d had all season?

42. 1. Words can’t explain the giddy feeling that many of us are experiencing. It’s pretty special.

2. That is the best Seahawk run I’ve ever seen in my life.

3. I love the guy and am so happy for him!

4. Matt Hasselbeck

5. They can have my middle finger.

6. Bears. But I think we can beat Atlanta too.

Dare to Dream!!!

43. CYRREEN says:

OK, I am one of those fans that wanted the high draft pick. And, I must tell you, I am still wearing a BIG smile on my face. WHAT A GAME. Lynch you are an animal. Loved the intensity and yes, I was WRONG. I would never want to give up a game like this for draft picks. GO SEAHAWKS

SF Hawk

44. Rowdy_Rob says:

1. How much fun was it to watch this game?

I haven’t watched it yet. Got it on the DVR awaiting my eyes after listening to it on the radio.

Game. Set. Match.

I think Matt had something to prove, and he did prove it.

4. Who gets the game ball?

Three game balls are given. One to Matt Hasselbeck; one to Pete Carrol; and one to The 12 Man!

“And how would you like your Crow cooked?”

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons?

Either one. GO HAWKS!

45. It’s not always the best team that wins. It’s who gets the hottest at the right time and believes. The Giants of a few years ago are proof of this. No amount of draft position can make up for thrilling wins in January! That’s why you play the game! Getting the crap kicked out of us for most of December means nothing right now, as our boys are getting it together in January. And we beat Drew Brees and the defending champions.

Thanks CYRREEN,

That was big of you to admit that!

Your are a fan unlike many others that are hiding under a rock right now!

Oh Variable!
    Oh Variable!

47. It’s going to be difficult to get any work done for the next few days. What a feeling!

If this is the last game Hass plays in Seattle, it was a great one. I hope he has convinced all the fans who still think Dave Krieg was the best Seahawks QB ever.

What a great run by Lynch. PC and JS have done a great job of picking up guys who make plays: Clemons, Brock, BMW, Stokely, Lynch, Leon … the list goes on and on.

48. BobbyAyala says:

I only have three things to say:

1. I called it.

2. Long live King Marshawn. “The Run” will be talked about in Seattle for decades.

2. Go Green Bay.

#BEAST MODE #goseahawks #shocktheworld

49. bayareahawkfan says:

From the NFL.com recap:

“Brees and the Saints just couldn’t keep up with Hasselbeck and the Seahawks offense. Brees led one final drive, hitting Devery Henderson on a 6-yard touchdown with 1:30 left to get within 41-36.”

Did you ever think those words would be put together in the same sentence?!?!

50. mocarob says:

Hasselsuck Hasselsuck Hasselsuck Hasselsuck Hasselsuck Hasselsuck
    you guys sounded like you’re in junior high when u said it and look like fools now.

pabuwal, nighthawk etc.

quote from yahoo sports:
    “Hasselbeck left the field to a rousing ovation and his youngest son propped up on his shoulders.”

go dunk your head in the toilet.

51. Those two drops by BMW and Obo sure helped to make the game very close at the end. But it also made the victory that much sweeter. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Seahawks would win a shoot-out with the Saints.

Brees is a great QB. We got lucky that he didn’t have all his weapons, whereas Seattle had most of theirs.

52. Skavage says:

Just another thought…. How many of you agree that the Hawks offensive game plan was one of the best ever? I mean from start to finish the game plan and the calls were fantastic. hats off to the coaching staff. And I think Bates called a damn good game. Probably his best all year.

53. CYRREEN says:

I just wish we use Leon Washington more in the games. Also, I really hope we sign him to a multi year contract, soon.

54. montanahawk says:

1. The game was fun to watch. A nerve-racking rollercoaster ride of emotion.

2.Love Marshawn’s run. Watched it a few times on Seahawks Addicts. It got better every time because of all the factors that came in to play. Goosebumps every time!!!

3. Have always believed in Matt. There were a few times where we got a little disappointed thru-out the season, but only because we knew what he was/is capable of & he wasn’t executing. So many of the negs were out of character for him.
    Sooooo great to see him perform like the Matt we all know & love.

4.The Game Ball?! Such a tough one to answer. Marshawn for sewing up the win but Matt for being the true leader. Most of his passes were incredible. For eg; the perfect pass over Mike W while being double teamed! Fricken incredible. Stokely, Carlson, Forsett… Great contributions.

5. Don’t care about anyone eating crow right now. Trying to stay out of that area & just enjoy this win. Funny how Keyshawn J. was the only one who picked them to win.

Any word on Lofa?

-Montanahawk Wife

55. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Anyone else notice Marshawn Lynch grab his nuts when he dove in the end zone after that spectacular run? LOL, see him do it on this youtube clip. It’s funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0WYsKYy0ag

56. SeahawkFan12 says:

HOLY SH!T!!!! F%CK THE TOP 10 PICK!!! Hasselbeck looked awesome, the D was fantastic the 12th Man ROCKED and this was a HUGE win over a great opponent! One of the best win in franchise history!!!

1. It was A LLLLOOOOOTTTT of fun to watch this game!
    2. No, I honestly cannot. I know J L. Williams had some memorable one, as did Warner and Alexander but DUDE…that was huge!
    3. I FEEEEL VINDICATED!! Hasselbeck is the man. And if you don’t see his value now, jump off the bandwagon. Re-sign him NOW.
    4. Hasselbeck. Or Clemons.
    5. Screw those idiots. The pundits and “experts” can eat more than crow…
    6. Falcons. It is hard to beat the same team twice in one season. That said, I don’t care…GO SEAHWKS!

57. seahawklovertoo says:

Now that I have somewhat recovered from this exuberance,all I can say is WOW!WOW!WOW! People, it is not just winning a game ; we scored 41 points on the Champs. I didn’t think (but, I did hope) we could win and if we did I thought it may be something like 13-10 with a defensive TD and lottsa lock till the end….To score more than two TDs on offense wasn’t even in my wildest dreams. WOW !!!!
    Thak You Coach Caroll, thank You Seahawks.
    GO HAWKS!

58. maddog12 says:

Magical game. Always ComPete.

Saw Dilfer saying he was suprised by how much zone NO played. He thought that played into Matts hands.

I don’t know about that, but it played into Carlsons, BMW and Stokley’s hands real well.

59. Skavage says:

OMG, watching NFL network and they just showed the greatest shot of Leon sitting in the endzone stands with the fans after the game. Wow…classy and fun for the fans. Great guy. Great attitude. Thanks Leon for sharing the fun with us!

60. danjsloan says:

GO HAWKS!!!

61. chrisj122 says:

That was the most exciting Seahawk games I have seen in long time and the fact it was a playoff game made it extra sweet, especially after being such underdogs (the biggest underdogs @ home in playoff history)

I hope now people can truely appreciate Matt as much as I do. He shows up for the big games, 4 touchdown passes and can throw the long pass. I hope everyone realizes we need to resign him, what would have been the outcome with Charlie Whitehurst? Matt Hasselbeck is without question the best Q.B. Seattle has ever had and today he tied Dave Krieg for most franchise wins. Congrats Matt. I hope this was not your last game in Seattle.

As for the national pundits they can suck it! I know they won’t take back 90% of all garbage they said all week so I’m not going to even listen to what they had to say. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy this win all week because truely memorable, I suggest all Hawk fans rejoice this week and appreicate our team. Enjoy this win everyone, this one was special!

62. Matt Hasselbeck OUTDUELED Drew Brees!!! I LOVE it!!!

I know there’s no such thing as one QB beating another individually, as both are playing different defenses, but it was fun to say!!!

63. Some teams don’t have a lot of tradition, sadly.

Win or lose next week, we just added some much needed tradition with this win! All of us are going to remember where we were and what we were doing during this game! That’s special!

Pabuwal, nighthawk,and Variable are still hiding under that rock where cowards wait for the next loss so they can spew their hate and fears!

65. nidhighe says:

Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Seahawks? Not dem Saints!

66. chrisj122 says:

How does this compare to the playoff win against Dallas a couple of years ago?

67. Southendzone says:

1. Are you kidding? This game was out of this galaxy fun to watch. There were at least 4 different things that happened that I didn’t believe really happened. I thought i was in one of those Inception dream within a dreams.

2. I’m thinking of a killer Shawn Alexander run from Husky stadium vs the Raiders. Maybe cause I was super drunk that day.

3. Never stopped believing in Matty… I was REALLY pissed at him after the Atlanta game but I knew he would come through big time today.

4. Matt

5. HELL YES! On espn 1 of their hosts picked the Seahawks to win but it was Keyshawn Johnson so it made me feel some bad mojo cause that guy’s a goof.

6. Bears, Falcons.. don’t care 1 bit. We’re playing loose right now and fully working with house money at this point I’m not scared of either of those teams. If anything I think the Bears have the potential to lay an egg while Atlanta is pretty consistent.

68. mrchubbs says:

Living out here in Virginia (formerly Maryland) I became a Hawks fan in 1983 because of their underdog performance in the playoffs. This was the best freakin’ game ever. The run by Lynch was the best… so happy. I had 6 texts from co-workers and people after the game wishing me congrats… This is just sweet.

The run by Lynch sort was like the entire season in a nutshell.

I was quite literally tearing up with joy after that run. This guy who couldn’t stop saying the word “playoffs” after the Rams game really showed us with that run where “beast mode” came from. Welcome to the post-season Marshawn!

Enjoy!

69. pabuwal said he bet money on the ‘Hawks today. I find it ironic that Matt Hasselbeck is a huge reason he won pabs some cash. I love it!

70. mrchubbs – I fell in love with them in ’83 too (around mid-season). I don’t like this win more than the Dolphin play-off game that year, but it’s comparable. My two favorite wins ever (and, yes, even more than the Carolina game in ’05).

71. chrisj122 says:

Wow! I believe that this is one best wins we have had, I like more than the one against Dallas just because it really felt like we deserved this and didn’t win due to a lucky play. However I can’t compare this to the Carolina game in ’05, this was special but only a first round playoff game. This was the more exciting game to watch and was truely fun but that was a NFC Championship game at home the only one we have ever had.

72. mrchubbs says:

BobbyK,

Yessir! I was 12 years old during the ’83 run. My Baltimore Colts had left a couple years earlier and I could no longer be a fan of that team. The Seahawks won my heart in ’83. Since I was so young it’s hard for me to compare that feeling to this.

All my relatives are Redskins or Ravens fans. I still call the Ravens the “Brown Ravens” and refused to root for them because I’d feel like a hypocrite for doing so. After the Colts were stolen from me how could I root for a new team that was stolen from another city? Nah… the Seahawks will be with me from the age of 12 till I die. Such a glorious win today.

73. aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I just got to watch – road trip home today – had to stay away from all of you (and all of the world) to avoid knowing the score.

DAMN. WHAT A GAME. Makes the whole season.

74. I was 9 or 10. Great stuff!

75. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

Wow.

1 – tons of fun. I thought we could be done after 10-0. I was pretty convinced after 17-7. When we made it 17-14, I thought, hey, the nation is actually gonna get a good playoff football game here. I’m proud of my team. But oh my gawd. Seriously, OMG.

2 – We’ve had some huge pass plays, and some big run plays, but that was the biggest run play in team history that I can recall. Keep in mind that I was a pretty young fan in our first three seasons, I really can’t remember anything prior to, oh, 1979 or ’80.

3 – I believed in Matt, and thought he should be the starter. But honestly I believed he had something to prove today, and this performance would determine what type of commodity he would be next season, for seattle or wherever he lands. It’s pretty easy to know what to expect from CW, and the ceiling just wasn’t high enough for this game.

4 – Matt. I’m so proud of our quarterback. This may be his last win as a starter for us. Thank you Matt, thank you very much.

5 – I don’t think anybody will be eating crow. But let’s be honest, these experts don’t get paid to remain neutral and avoid controversial predictions. They get paid to point to the right field wall and tell us what’s gonna happen.

6 – Bears. We match up better against them.

Was I the only person who sat there, watching this game, feeling that week 3 against SD prepared us for this? I felt that more and more as the game played on. This game had the same feel, to me. The big difference being that our points came from big offensive plays, rather than the two returns for td’s.

I honestly thought that, in order for us to keep this close and have a meaningful 4th quarter, we would need to have huge plays on offense. In expectation of our defense getting shredded for the most part, I also felt we would need to simply make a couple big plays defensively. Our offense out performed my expectations, and our defense under performed. LOL it happened nothing like I expected.

mrchubbs – Formerly Maryland. lol. You sir are a true southerner. I like it.

I totally agree that this is as big a postseason win as the ’83 game in Miami. Beating Denver that year in the Kingdome was one thing. Beating Marino in Miami is a totally different scenario. Today was incredible. No-one outside the 12th Man (and many inside) gave them a shot. Days like today make it all worth it. Here’s hoping they can build on this and somehow keep it rolling next week.

What a game! We almost let it slip away, and then the greatest run from scrimmage in the NFL this year!

Way to redeem yourself from the two fumble game mr. Lynch

78. mrchubbs says:

Best crow-eating tweet during the game I’ve found so far:

From Peter King re-tweeting Adam Schefter:

RT @AdamSchefter: Probably should have taken that text I got from a Seahawks coach that said-and I quote-”We will win” a bit more seriously.

LOVE IT.

79. Good night tonight in Seattle bars… lol…

Sure I believed, Ryan. You have to believe. Like I said here yesterday, I was “hoping the Saints would have a big fat surprise waiting for them today.”

” – Short week.

- Cross-country travel.

- Outdoor stadium.

- Rain.
- Multiple Saints injuries.

- The Roar of a Very Hungry 12th Man.

- An overconfident World Champion team,

- against a Seahawks team with absolutely nothing to lose.
    - I like the way this is adding up. ”

The only one of those that didn’t happen was the rain. A couple of sprinkles on us at Qwest and that’s all. … but MATT HASSELBECK HAD ICE IN HIS VEINS!

And I’ve enjoyed a lot of good football runs in my life, but I never laughed so hard as during that great Marshawn run! :-)

But did I really “think” we were going to win?
    Of course not. My head said no, but my heart said yes!
    HEART WINS AGAIN!!!

80. scottftlc says:

Marshawn Lynch’s run was the best football run from scrimmage I have ever seen. That run alone made him far more valuable than the rather modest draft pick given up for him.

81. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

1. How much fun was it to watch this game?
    – This was the 3rd Seahawks game I have ever gone to. Last week was my 2nd. I had a blast!

–There were 3 or 4 times where I though Lynch was down but was still jumping up and down screaming in pure happiness. Amazing run.

–I took alot of heat when a friend asked me who I thought should start the game today, and my exact words were “It better be Hasselbeck.” I didn’t think he would have the game he had today, that was great to see. It’s going to be a tough choice who starts at QB next season if Matt has another solid game, or 2, or 3!

4. Who gets the game ball?
    –The entire offensive line. They struggled almost every week in the regular season but really showed up today against a pretty solid D-line.

–They won’t. It is always about how the other team gave away the win, even in years where we are the better team.

6. Who do you want next week: Bears or Falcons?
    Don’t care. I am confident it will be a great game either way!

Did our Seahawks really put up 41 points????

I was confident in a win but thought we would have to do it on defense and special teams.

82. nighthawk2 says:

Bite me, mocarob. He’s still Hasselsuck, and one lucky game against an overrated defense that got it’s ass handed to it by the likes of the Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns isn’t going to change that. He will turn back into a pumpkin at some point. He’s still the guy that singlehandedly cost us the Falcons game with his 3 turnovers in the 3rd quarter before getting benched (and thus blew our shot at being at least .500), something you all want to conveniently forget. He’s still the guy that threw an interception on our first play of the season, he’s still the guy that was 13 of 32 with an interception in Oakland, and hes’ still the guy that had 17 interceptions and lost 5 of 7 fumbles (that’s 22 turnovers for the mathmatically challenged) coming into this game, now it’s 18 interceptions, and he’s still the guy with 34 interceptions and 18 fumbles (8 lost), that’s 42 turnovers, in the last 26-3/4 games. Now it’s 43 turnovers in the last 27-3/4 games.

“3. If you didn’t believe in Matt Hasselbeck, do you now?…”

No. I hate this guy on a personal as well as professional level and I make no bones about it. I want him gone. I’m ecstatic that we won this game and sent last year’s champions packing, and that we shut up the (team) haters and deuchebags like Kordell Stewart who was particularly hating on us, as well as Sando and his week(s) long hateraide. But Hasselsuck didn’t win this game, he just didn’t lose it for us. 4 TD passes? Those guys were so open even Stewart could have thrown those TD passes. If you want to surgically attach your lips to his brain go ahead, but one game where he actually earned what he’s being paid doesn’t erase everything that came before. What really makes me ill is that Carroll and Schneider might give him another year (or more) contract based on that fluke yesterday instead of letting go off in March to sink some other team next year.

nighthawk2 – I don’t think one game changes what Schneider / Carroll have planned for the position. If they were willing to let him walk prior to the game, I’m confident they still feel the same way. Schneider was Rodgers’ champion in a divided Green Bay FO and ultimately won out, kicking Favre to the curb. Yesterday won’t influence him.

And of course yesterday doesn’t erase what has come before it, but if you weren’t impressed with his performance yesterday, that’s simply because you choose not to be. He played very well. And I’m not certain the Saints got their ass’ handed to them by Ariz (194 total yards) and Cle (210 total yards). Losses yes, but they have a solid D. Although Jenkins out hurt their secondary, no question.

All that said, your overall sentiment is right on. People choose to ignore his awful games in the glow of yesterday. That’s the nature of it, for good or ill.

84. Nighthawk, take your venom elsewhere. You’re just being a spoiled sport. This singularly Great game by Hasselbeck and the rest of the team stands alone and harping previous failures have no place here today. You say you are “ecstatic that we won this game”, then you write half a page of venom attacking the guy who most directly made it happen.

Of course it wasn’t a single-handed victory. It was a team win, led by a great team leader. Of course Hasselbeck has had some poor games recently, and we all know he is at the end of his career and will be gone soon… but this was a game only a true champion could have achieved. Hass deserves nothing but praise for his great performance.

Next time you struggle through multiple injuries – hand, wrist, ribs, hip, concussions, spine, etc, over a three year period in your mid thirties, and then still have the guts and talent to execute a winning football game like this one, stand toe-to-toe with the reigning NFL champions, and fight them punch-for-punch, then you will earned the right to criticize a guy like Matt Hasselbeck.

85. “He’s still Hasselsuck, and one lucky game against an overrated defense that got it’s ass handed to it by the likes of the Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns isn’t going to change that. ”

Dude, what would it take to make you happy? We just beat the defending super bowl champs, in a rebuild year, enjoy it.

Not sure how anything Hass did yesterday would qualify as lucky . . .