Carroll quick-hitters

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Dec. 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm with 47 Comments »
December 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Just got out of Pete Carroll’s Monday press conference.

He doesn’t expect Matt Hasselbeck to practice all week, so he’s committing to Charlie Whitehurst as this week’s quarterback. However, he did leave the door open to re-evaluation later in the week if Hasselbeck has a speedy recovery. After Hasselbeck’s MRI, he said that “we won’t know for days” whether he has a chance to return. He said he’s not in a lot of discomfort and “it might be manageable.” Whitehurst, he said, started slowly and made some “conservative decisions.” He had a few opportunities to go downfield with the passes and didn’t take them.

“We just didn’t get many things done,” Carroll said. He said that this week they were determined to try to stick with the running game and to keep it mixed into the scheme.

He did not think the outcome of the St. Louis-San Francisco game played a role in the Hawks’ weak play. The Rams win meant the Seahawks would play for the division title this week whether they beat Tampa Bay or not. “I can’t imagine that had an effect on the game,” he said.

He was asked about some of the defensive shortcomings, bad coverage, missed tackles, unproductive blitzes, etc., and he summarized it as “… in those situations they won the exchanges.” When specifically asked about apparent breakdowns by cornerback Marcus Trufant, he said “… we count on Tru t o make those plays, but they did get him on those.”

Left tackle Russell Okung was not 100 percent when he came back into the game after another ankle injury, but Carroll said that the rookie pushed to come back in. “It’s a factor in his play,” Carroll said, although a prognosis for this week was not forthcoming. Brandon Stokley, meanwhile, will undergo the tests for post-concussion symptoms and may be able to return later in the week, Carroll said.

He acknowledged the oddity of a six-win team still contending for a playoff berth, calling it an “interesting finish to the season.” … “We have a lot of work to do,” he said.

1. When Carroll knew so quickly that Hasselbeck would not practice this entire week but still left the door open to start on Sunday, I figured it was the typical Carroll smokescreen and Hasselbeck had no chance to play.

Well, this is Whitehurst’s chance to gain an NFL starting job and all the fame and money that come with it. It’s also his chance to write one of the greatest finishes to a Seahawks season and make this season a resounding success. In that case I would welcome the number 21+ pick because the QB dilemma has been solved.

However, I figure the most likely case is he looks like Charlie Whitehurst, plays miserably, the Seahawks lose and the Seahawks end up with the number 8 pick and can solve the QB situation through the draft or a trade for someone like Vince Young. At that point then they are left to make some decisions on the broken down veterans on the defensive side of the ball.

2. nidhighe says:

I’d rather have a higher draft pick than the honor of being the worst team to ever make the playoffs or win a division.

–Danielle

3. SeahawkFan12 says:

Then why even play the game Sunday?

I can’t imagine a scenario where CW can resolve Seattle’s QB issue, regardless of his play on Sunday. If he plays great, can that really be enough for them to not address the position this offseason? Personally, I don’t think so, but it would certainly help everyone feel better. Should he play poorly, as I too expect, they still have to address the position.

Broken down vets on defense? Let’s let the offense off the hook. Aside from Okung and perhaps Spencer, the entire o line needs an overhaul. Still. They need a true #1 WR. And of course the aforementioned QB.

Lot’s *not* let…

Lol. Let’s not let…

7. too many beers to drown out yesterday’s terrible loss got your hands a bit shaky today, Duke? LOL!!

8. HawkyHann says:

Please Seattle Seahawk coaches and mgmt. Lets call a spade a spade. Marcus Trufant sucks. He brings nothing. Trade him and get something for this washed up, over paid joke. He is pathetic to watch play pass coverage. I’d put anyone out there over him. Every single WR owns him. His career is in jeopardy.

9. Devinc253 says:

I’d rather have a high draft pick as well..
    Winning is pointless cause our defense is so bad we’ll get killed in the playoffs

10. IdahoHawk says:

First drive ball within the 3 yard line.

Carroll
    “Matt get the TD, then fake hurt.”

Matt
    “What”

Carroll
    “The Rams have already won. We don’t need this game.”

Matt
    “What’s my injury?”

Caroll
    “I don’t care make something up.”

Post game interview with Matt.
    “It’s a hip injury I received two months ago, and oh ya I re-injured it in the Arizona game and the Panthers game.’
    Yea, yea that’s it. That’s my injury.
    Wouldn’t surprise me.

11. Devinc253 says:

And trufant is pathetic.. He makes 0 plays..
    He has like 4 ints in the last 3 years combine… (dante hall had 4 in one game this year). And trufant is making like 7 mil,,. What a rip off

12. SeahawkFan12 says:

Yeah, Whitehurst is NOT the future, folks. Sorry to break hearts here.

He’s not even the answer to mentor the rookie draft pick.

Seattle either re-signs Hasselbeck to groom the franchise quarterback (best option) or over pay (yes, I know we already did that with Charlie) for a legitimate starter with big-game experience (which Charlie does not have).

Obviously, Whitehurst cannot fit that bill.

And Duke, I agree; we still need a legit #1 receiver (amongst other needs)…

Winning is never pointless, that’s the whole reason teams play. And IMO, a higher pick means nothing in and of-it’s-self, you still have to get the right player.

DFloydd – It’s been long day. Not the least of which is a ripping hangover. lol

14. Charlie is going to get outplayed by a rookie QB who is about a half decade younger than him and we’re going to end up with a top-10 pick and, hopefully, we’ll find/draft our own Sam Bradford.

15. That’s funny, IdahoHawk! I wish it were true. I can’t believe we’re going to lose our starting QB for such a crucial game because of a fluky injury like that.

I just don’t see Whitehurst leading the Seahawks to a victory. Hope I’m wrong.

16. I hope Seattle gets another Sam Bradford in the draft, not another Tim Couch, David Carr, JaMarcus Russell or Jeff George (all taken first overall).

Even if you have the first pick in the draft, the chances of being disappointed with the player are about 50 percent.

17. SeahawkFan12 says:

Canfan, good stuff. Your point is well-taken, and exactly why I do NOT want Cam Newton. He is JaMarcus Russle 2.0, only slightly better.

18. “Charlie is going to get outplayed by a rookie QB who is about a half decade younger than him and we’re going to end up with a top-10 pick and, hopefully, we’ll find/draft our own Sam Bradford.”

I second that and have nothing to add, BobbyK.

Except this: Early-early mock drafts are already starting to appear.
    For example, Rob Rang has:
    Andrew Luck 1/1
    Cam Newton 1/4
    Ryan Mallett 1/15
    Jake Locker ?

Yes, I know its waaay too early for mock drafts. Bowl games and the NFL combine will change perceptions of these QBs, add a new name or two to this list, and Mel Kiper hasn’t even had time to add fresh gel to his hair, or start reporting bogus draft rumors yet. But, heck, who among us isn’t thinking about this already?

Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve read the Cam Newton / JaMarcus Russell comparison several times and I don’t see it. Is it simply an SEC connection? Because to me Newton more closely resembles Vince Young (on the field) than Russell.

And how would Seattle end up with a top 10 pick? Seems as though if everything broke “right” they could get #10 at best.

So Rang has a mock out without knowing draft order. Add that to a long list of reasons why mock drafts are a complete waste of time.

21. I see Newton as a college stud who I worry about being a prima donna. You can get away with being a better athlete than anyone in college (see Young, Vince), but being a QB in the NFL is much different (especially the mental game — not that I’ve ever been an NFL QB, but you all get the idea).

I think you can have plenty of prima donna’s at other positions, but not so much at QB. Guys like Manning, Brady, Rivers, Ryan, etc. all seem to work hard and that’s part of the reason they are so respected by their teammates. Even a young Josh Freeman seems to have these impressive characteristics. Mike Vick is a guy who went from prima donna to being humbled to now having turned the corner of his life/career. Part of the reason I wanted nothing to do with “coach killer” (or dog, take your pick) Vick prior to last off-season was because of his past and that type of thing not being accepted from your QB.

Sure, go ahead and take risks on a talented CB or pass rushing DE with a meatball for a brain, but your QB better have a good head on his shoulders too. I wonder about Newton a bit and don’t want anything to do with him if it’s an accurate assumption. Again, I don’t know enough to know if it’s an accurate assumption though. I have seen a few Auburn games this year and parts of some others and I do get the feeling that he’s the stud who may think he’ll be a great NFL QB by simply showing up and, if that’s the case, I don’t want him. How about some of you others? Do any of you sense some of this?

I don’t see the JaMarcus Russell comparisions either. I remember watching the LSU bowl game (Russell’s final game) and wondering why in the h-e-double-hockeysticks people thought he was so good. You could tell from his interviews that he was an entitled box of rocks (no distrespect intended to the rocks) who couldn’t hardly move (see McGwire, Dan). Yeah, he ran some, and didn’t look as bad as McGwire, but translating his talent to the NFL you knew damn well that he wouldn’t be a guy who’d make too many plays with his legs (even if he could do it a bit in college and I know the SEC is great, but still…).

I am not a UW fan by any stretch of the imagination and I could actually care less about their players. Basically, I have no reason to like Jake Locker, but from the limited amount of time I have seen him, I’m intrigued. Maybe it’s just that I have a soft spot for QBs who don’t ever have anyone to block for them or less than stellar receivers to boot. lol

Does anyone know of any website(s) where we can watch old games from this past season? I’d like to watch some Luck and Locker (and other QBs) and I don’t simply want to watch some highlight collage where everyone looks like the next NFL superstar. Thanks.

Come on, Duke, you’re the poster child for Power Rankings, Mock Drafts, and Trade Scenario Talk! lol

22. Sorry about the top-10 pick quote. I didn’t bother looking at every scenario to see the exact position(s) we could end up. I just made a blanket assessment of getting a pretty high pick.

Lol. In that order, too.

I’ve looked around a bit, trying to find a site where you can watch some Locker games, but I’ve come up empty. I’ll keep looking, I’ll let you know if I come up with anything.

24. Remember how excited we were in ’93 when Seattle drafted Rick Mirer. He looked like the real thing all through his rookie year, setting rookie records for attempts, completions and yards, and being selected as the UPI rookie of the year. Then he showed no improvement in Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4. Thankfully we managed to fleece the Bears for a first-round pick.

25. SeahawkFan12 says:

Just a hunch on Newton, since I’m the one bashing him ruthlessly…lol…I just see the makings of a prima donna and doubt he’ll handle the NFL as well as he’s handled his SEC stadom. Luck (while I know he won’t be a Seahawk) would be fantastic as he has the total combination of size, strength and smarts. Newton has a lot less of the latter, in my opinion…

It would be great to see a solid QB fall to us, regardless of where we draft. I still submit that we draft a QB in the 1st, re-sign Hass as the mentor, and get to work everywhere else that needs work.

Either way, I’m “happy” with how well we’ve done in the first year of a 2 or 3 year rebuild process. To win the trash heap of a division and host a playoff game is beyond where most people (including me) saw the Seahawks for this season.

26. SeahawkFan12 says:

Yes, Canfan, I recall the excitement over Mirer all too well…yet another reason to avoid repeating that same mistake!

27. I haven’t seen much of Luck on the field, but just from interviews given around the time of the Heisman Trophy and things of that nature… he seems to be what you’d want in an NFL QB and Newton isn’t even close to him in that arena (part of the reason I’m scared off on Newton a bit… even though he has all of the physical tools you look for). If I were an owner and had to shell out over $50 million to someone, I’d sure as heck would trust giving it to a guy like Luck a lot more than someone like Newton. Again, could be a misconception, but first impressions are usually right (not always, again).

28. I’m all for drafting a QB in the first round. Just using the Mirer example to show that we’re sometimes too quick to judge a draft pick. Bradford may end up being the next Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers. But he could also be the next Rick Mirer (I doubt it, but it’s possible). You have to be lucky sometimes, whether in the draft or free agency. The Dolphins picked Duante Culpepper over Drew Brees a few years ago, and the Saints won the lottery.

I think PC and JS added some good players to the roster in 2010 and if they’re just as successful in 2011 we could be looking at a 10-6 division title.

29. Anybody see the playoffs graphic they just put up on MNF? Someone messed up and listed the Vikings as “still in the hunt” with a record of 5-7. Then they had two spots with “Team name” and “0-0″ listed. They probably used an unfinished graphic.

It really looks strange to see a 6-9 team “still in the hunt.”

30. Duke, no one asked you if you like mock drafts or not. If you don’t like talking about the draft, that’s okay. See you next May. ;)

Point is that this is a draft with notably few QBs worthy of first round consideration, and, if the Seahawks win next Sunday (LOL! cough cough) they would be shooting themselves in the foot by reducing their chances of drafting their own top rated QB prospects.

If the Seahawks lose, they could pick as high as #10, but more likely will end up around #13. This means about 4 teams with an obvious need at QB pick ahead of us.

If the Seahawks win, then get blown out in playoff game 1, they pick at #21, which means seven teams with obvious needs at QB pick ahead of us.

31. Canfan, its true that quite a few QBs drafted in the first round are busts. But people forget that MOST QBs drafted after the first round are busts. The odds are much better in round one.

Everyone talks about the Patriots ability to draft QBs since they found Tom Brady in round 6 and Matt Cassel in round 7. But during those same years, the Patriots also drafted QB busts in rounds 3, 4, 6 and 7.

There appear to be a ton of good O linemen in this draft, so we should be able to stock up there without paying for a stud OT in round one.

32. Duke, this one’s just for you.

Rob Stanton has the Seahawks reaching for Blaine Gabbert (QB, Missouri) in his Mock Draft at 1/13.

We’ll be looking for your Mock soon! ;)

Stevos – :) *sigh…* I love the draft. I love talking about the draft. I love the East-West Shrine game. I love the Senior Bowl and watch the practices leading up to it. I love the combine (and record so I can re-watch it). What I’m saying is that because I find mock drafts a useless tool (put out by useless tools like Tod McShay) in evaluating what players may or may not be a good fit in Seattle, doesn’t mean I don’t like talking about the draft. They just have no relevance to how the draft will play out. I participated in the TNT Live Mock draft last spring for S&Gs so I’m not immune from getting involved in them. But to me, they’re useless and it’s a bit frustrating that anyone puts any importance on them. But I’m obviously in the minority because they are wildly popular.

34. SeahawkFan12 says:

…And even Brees makes bad plays in big games from time to time…

That was a crazy athletic play be Abraham.

36. I bet the NFL and the MSM are hoping for a Rams win. An 8-8 division winner isn’t great, but most people outside the PNW will find it a lot more acceptable than a division champion with a losing record.

The Rams provide a better storyline too, with Bradford being the “missing piece” that got last year’s worst team into this year’s playoffs. Even if the Seahawks make it into the playoffs, what will the press find to write about, except how unfair it is that we’re playing while teams with better records aren’t?

I don’t have a favorite in the QB derby. I just think it’s interesting that the Seahawks have never had much luck drafting QB’s. Our best players at that position were undrafted or came to us via trades or free agency. Our draft picks, on the other, have never been much better than mediocre players.

37. Yeah, mock drafts are fun but almost completely useless.

Most of them pick players for the Seahawks for reasons that prove they don’t know anything about our team or its needs.

Things we don’t know yet but would need to know in order to accurately project the draft:

- the final draft order
    - the final list of underclassmen who declare
    - combine results
    - player movement in pre-draft free agency
    - new GM’s, new head coaches
    - the teams’ own assessment of their needs
    - the teams’ own evaluation of draftable players
    - the teams’ own strategy for the draft

38. I never praised mock drafts, or intended to talk about them.

The only point was this: 8 teams picking between 1 and 21 would LOVE to draft their QB of the future. I don’t care how you mock it, the higher we draft, the better our chances of being happy a few years down the road.

We could draft as high at #10. This is a rare opportunity. If things go well, we never ever want to pick this high again.

Which is why I’m happy CW is starting on Sunday. He will stink the place up, and our scouts can get busy figuring out which QB to draft.

39. Some foul language, but this guy’s latest blog entry expresses the way I feel about all the whining about the possibility of a 7-9 team making the playoffs:

His rant completely changed my mind. I want us in the playoffs, even with a 7-9 record and a later position in the draft.

They OWE us this one.

40. I don’t see how the Seahawks pick any worse than number 10 if they lose Sunday because they own the SoS tiebreakers with all other teams, including the 49ers.

41. Speaking of coaches——
    any guesses on who might be looked at for the following jobs
    Carolina
    San Fran

I think that Harbaugh out of Stanford would be a “fit” for both of these. go to Carolina draft Luck #1
    or Go to SF and stay in the area you are already in. Just a thought

Is Garrett going to stay in Dallas? or will King Jerry look around.
    Minnesota?? No clue

Who else is gonna get fired? Interesting thoughts – I am not sure Shanahan is safe in Washington either. he has acted like an idiot – i.e. Singletary

42. Guys, I’m depressed. I don’t want to see another 4 quarters of Whitehurst.

Seattle would need about 5 teams with similar records to win this Sunday, to sneak inside the top 10 should they lose to the Rams. Highly unlikely. Looking at the schedules and the teams involved, it seems more plausible they will be just outside 10 after Sunday. But we’ll see.

44. GriffinNW says:

Just think about it guys,
    This team isn’t going to throw the game. Carrol and crew would rather go to the playoffs, lose ground in the draft, face a likely 1st round exit than a 10-15 draft slot.
    If they’re winning come Sunday we have to just go with it and see what happens, and if they’re losing, many of us will look at the bright side with the better draft position and avoiding the embaressement in this playoffs all together.
    A few people talk about how if Whitehurst does good in this gamee we may have answers for next year, I disagree. Much like him not showing much in his other time, he hasn’t had enough games. PC not turning to Charlie until Hass was hurt speaks volumes to me though. I think we still need/should/will get a quarterback this offseason whether through the draft or free agency.
    Man, cannot believe at 6-9, with CHARLIE WHITEHURST, we are playing for a playoff game.

45. Palerydr says:

GriffinNW brings up a point I haven’t seen many talk about these guys want to win this game they could care less about next years draft pick and with a lockout possible even less concern. The reality is that they play for $$$$ and winning this game means another game check for every player on the team. It also means another game of revenue for the Team and the Stadium. I would think that would be a motivator for winning this week that trumps any reason we as fans can argue about.

46. A lot can obviously change between now and the draft, but if many “experts” are right in that Jake Locker won’t get taken until the end of the 1st round — then I don’t care if we pick 21st… We’ll get a QB either way. I know plenty don’t want him and even I haven’t seen enough of him to say that’s who I want for sure.

One thing that would be nice picking at 10 is that we’d have the option to trade down 2-5 spots, pick up an extra pick, trade down 3-4 more spots and pick up another extra pick.

With all of the 1st round but QBs we took/traded for you’d think the law of averages would be on our side and we’ll actually get a good one, right?

One comparision I don’t buy with the Mirer/Bradford talk is that the Seahawks really seemed to dummy down the playbook to protect Mirer that first year whereas the Rams have opened the playbook and thrown him into the fire and he’s responded.

47. yakimahawk says:

Just a quick question..What does everyone think our chances are of winning this weekend with A) CW starting B) MH starting ?

MO-