Morning links: 5 keys to Hawks vs. Falcons

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 19, 2010 at 8:08 am with 13 Comments »
December 19, 2010 8:08 am

Good morning. It should be an interesting game between Seattle and Atlanta this morning. I know most folks expect the Seahawks to get drilled today, but I think they will accept the challenge and at least show up and compete today against the best team in the NFC, and one they hope they see again if they can somehow find a way to make it into the playoffs in a couple weeks.

Here are five keys to the game for Seattle.

Contain “Burner” Turner:
The Falcons have one of the most balanced offenses in the league, but it all starts with running back Michael Turner. If they can get the run game going, then its sets up the play action game and they started peppering you with passes to Roddy White and Tony Gonzales. In Atlanta’s only two losses, Turner was held to 42 yards by Pittsburgh and 45 yards by Philadelphia.

Dial up the pressure: If Seattle can stop Turner and get Atlanta into third and long situations, then Carroll will get a chance to bring his blitz package and try and get after Matt Ryan. Think about how Seattle used safety and corner blitzes to pressure Jay Cutler in Seattle’s best win of the year – that’s what Carroll would like to do today.

Open it up: I know Pete Carroll would like to pound the ball, but Seattle’s offense has functioned best when relying on a pass-first approach focusing on a short passing game. And with Mike Williams and Ben Obomanu back in the lineup, Matt Hasselbeck should have the weapons on the outside he needs to get the job done. The Seahawks are 2-1, averaging 319 passing yards a game when Mike Williams and Ben Obomanu are in the starting lineup

Win the turnover battle: Against the good team like Atlanta, the Seahawks are going to have to steal a couple possessions to have a chance. Problem is, the Falcons don’t turn the ball over much, and Seattle does not want to get out of position and give up a play by forcing the issue. But they do need to make Matt Ryan uncomfortable and see if they can get him to make some mistakes.

Play with urgency: At times this team has not showed the type of focus it has needed to win important games. That was evident against San Francisco last week, where Seattle did not match the Niners’ intensity level at the onset of the game. I thin Seattle needs to make sure that they bring the game to the Falcons and be the team forcing the issue to get the Falcons playing tentatively on their longest road trip of the year.

Here’s my story today, taking a look at what makes Atlanta so successful and how Seattle can emulate the Falcons’ rebuilding approach.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune says tryouts for the 2011 team begin today for Seattle.

Always a good read, Dan Pompei of the National Football Post explains why Deion Branch was not a good fit in the West Coast offense, among a host of notes on the league.

Christian Caple of Seattlepi.com offers five things to watch in today’s Hawks game.

Doug Farrar of Sportspressnw.com writes that Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chair of the league’s competition committee, is in favor of implementing a system the re-seeds the playoff teams so a 7-9 division winner would not host a playoff game.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald writes that Lawyer Milloy is getting better with age.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports breaks down the game in the video below.

Michael Hiestand of USA Today writes that Fox will continue to use its musical score theme that they so “successfully” used in the Seahawks-Niners game last week in today’s Arizona-Carolina matchup.

Morning links

Also, I want to see Seattle press White at the line. Stop with the free releases for the better wide outs. Jam him at the line and give that corner help over the top.

And in order to slow Turner down, the front 7 is going to have to play a great game. Being strong at the point and sure tackling… really basic stuff but so important.

2. GriffinNW says:

I think we need to just start the game off like you said Duke.. jamming White and just keep the help over the top from the very first snap. He’s gonna ruin us if we leave him with single coverage and space to add. Not to mention if Jennings is in coverage then it’ll be over real soon.
    I think we will see Milloy down near the line quite a bit. He has been a dissruption and he will need a good game.
    Defensively we just need to bring a bunch of different looks. We have to keep bringing the pressure even if they cut into us. If we all drop back and give M. Ryan all day, he will find a way to get us.

GO SEAHAWKS!

3. If Fox chooses to continue to give me headaches with that awful music score I swear I will turn it down and turn on Steve Raible for the play-by-play. I spent the first 5 minutes of the game trying to figure out if my surround sound receiver was on a different channel than my TV (I use both simultaneously). Sounded like a college game except the music was NON-STOP! Ugh…..We gotta start a petition to get rid of that crap! /rant mode off

4. edstang45 says:

Excellent read this morning. You hit it perfectly, I agree with everything you said and if the Hawks follow your lead we have a chance this morning. Dang it seems like it’s been awhile that there was a game that 5 mins into it I was not swearing at the TV and cussing out my favorite team!!!! It has been hard to watch lately, and I want to quit looking forward to the draft, and be excited about the next game!!!! Go Hawks……TODAY!!!

5. edstang45 says:

I agree with Skavage and I hope it doesn’t get as bad as ESPN’s coverage of collge basketball ARRRRRGH!!!!

Skavage – I totally agree. If they “score” the game again I’m muting it and turning on the radio. Not only is it distracting and and totally irrelevant to the game, it’s an absolutely ridiculous idea. It’s just so stupid.

It sounds like the music will not be part of the telecast today. Seattle / 49ers were the only team in the league to have it last week. Next week they will do it for the Cards / 49ers. Please, someone make it go away.

8. SeahawkFan12 says:

Yeah, that music sucks big time…

9. SandpointHawk says:

Please follow the link below and threaten to listen to the radio (mention the radio advertisers)….Rant on…I did…. and I got a shot in on the damn robot also….

I sent an email last week. I actually got a response as well.

11. Rams are currently down vs. the Cheifs, let’s hope for a big Christmas present and let them lose their last games, that would probably equal in Seahawks playoff football!

12. Ok lets start a petition right here on the TNT blog. The “anti-music score” petition. Consider me SIGNED! Ugh…..

I’ve not heard or read of one person, aside for the execs at Fox, express any level of pleasure with that idiotic music. The game itself doesn’t need any artificial stimulus to create tension or drama. Just leave the music for the highlights.