Morning links: An end of an era, a new beginning

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 1, 2010 at 5:38 am with 24 Comments »
December 1, 2010 5:56 am

Art Thiel pens his last column for Seattlepi.com, bringing to a close a distinguished, 30-year career writing for that publication, so I have to give a shout out to my Mount Tahoma brethren.

But don’t fret. Thiel is moving on to bigger and better challenges; he’s started his own web site, sportspressnw.com. So bookmark it.

Doug Farrar will offer regular coverage of the Seahawks for this new venture. He breaks down Kansas City’s successful stretch play against Seattle here.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com offers these photos from the Kansas City game.

According to Stephen Oh at AccuScore.com, the Seahawks chances of going to the playoffs dropped from 56.6 percent to 25.9 after losing to Kansas City at home and St. Louis winning at Denver last week.

Seahawks receiver Ben Obomanu joins KJR’s Mitch Levy in this audio link.

KJR’s Hugh Millen and Ian Furness break down the Kansas City game in this hardcore football audio segment.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post breaks down safety play in a Cover 2 defense.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com offers high praise for Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, calling him the best prospect he’s scouted since 2001, a group that includes LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Ndamukong Suh and Calvin Johnson,

Morning links
  1. Cornutt says:

Spiffy new site there, I like it.

Free from the shackles of oppression!!!

2. I’ve never seen a better prospect than Suh. But I will admit the QB position is the most important.

Agreed. QBs have such a high risk as well that most other positions don’t quite have. That said, he’s a flat out stud.

4. CaliSeahawker says:

I think Seattle’s chances at making the playoffs are slim to none. St. Louis is building momentum, and what we need is a Rams funk the next few weeks. I doubt Arizona is going to use their embarrassing loss as fuel to upset the Rams Sunday, but you just never know. If that happens, and we beat Carolina, I will feed the homeless with my Seahawks foam head on :-)

5. caliseahawker, good for you, we should probably all go feed the homeless this winter in any case.

but playoffs?… playoffs? you’re talking about playoffs??

I’ll admit the lure of a post season game at Qwest is hard to resist. But, really, what does it matter whether our rebuilding team happens to back into the playoffs or not. What’s important for this team is having another productive offseason like last year with some major additions of talent on the O line, QB, D line, and don’t lose any of our key contributors on this thin team of ours. Nothing else matters to me.

SEAHAWKS INSIDER
    Where its ALWAYS about the offseason.

6. great to see Art Thiel put up some good new hardcore football content. We can always use more!

7. SandpointHawk says:

Oh yea reality sets in….

SEAHAWKS INSIDER…
    Where its ALWAYS about the offseason.

8. pabuwal says:

At this point, I am hoping they don’t pull a collapse like last year down the stretch. This might be a “rebuilding” year, but they have patched the team with way too many broken down veterans like the previous 2 years.

The worst thing a team can do is chase a 7-9 division title with a cast of broken down veterans.

9. variable575 says:

CaliSeahawker says:

“I think Seattle’s chances at making the playoffs are slim to none. St. Louis is building momentum, and what we need is a Rams funk the next few weeks.”

-If that isn’t pure truth I don’t know what is. Which leads me to this, I hope we lose the rest of the season then win one or two….maybe three. I definitely don’t wish another team goes into a funk the rest of the season, just so we make the playoffs, for what would be in such a case a “one and done” deal. I’m tired of the hawks fielding teams as of late(for whatever reason, be injury or whatever)that “pray” that other teams aren’t healthy or will slip up so they can fit in.

I say lose the rest, lost cause. Of course I still want to see a fight and not a team laying on their backside but that is what we’ve been seeing lately anyhow. The only people I feel sorry for are the poor blokes that pay hefty prices for game tickets. Anyways, if it’s come to us needing, hoping, that we can at least beat weak teams and good teams lose—forget about it.

Also, Red Bryant was the difference make(and Cole)?? Or did people just find away to scheme around PC? Last time I checked we were on the verge of labeling Bryant a bust and Cole was no better then second string on a packer defense. It’s a fair question to ask and at this point it can’t answered accurately. Don’t bother telling me who’s filling in for those gaps, it’s obvious, no body is. I know that. but still…………….

10. Funny how the KC loss has dashed the hopes of even the most optimistic fans. Had they beaten KC, we’d be dreaming of a 9-7 season. Even after the loss to New Orleans, we were feeling good about the team’s chances of finishing strong. But losing to KC like that makes almost every game on the schedule a challenge. Of course, things could be markedly different when Cole and Williams come back.

11. CaliSeahawker says:

Guys,

Honestly, I think after a 4-2 start to the season we were all guilty of believing, that maybe perhaps this team could make the playoffs and win a few games if the stars were aligned properly. Now we are all talking about losing out so we can get a better draft pick? You PAH LAY to WHEEN THE GAYUM!!!!!

My hope is this team can somehow get their sh** together, beat SF, the Tampretenders, and St. Louis and host a home playoff game. Even if we get blown out at home (which we likely will), I always get so juiced knowing my team was one of the few that got in to the playoffs. In the NFL, anything can happen in the playoffs, ANYTHING.

I am still holding out hope this team can make it happen, but we also need St. Louis to stop being so consistent, or Sam Bradford to rupture the AC joint doing push ups – it does not matter to me :-)

We all predicted a 5-7 win season before the season even began, and after 9 games this season we matched last year’s win total. Hard not to get jacked up about that. We have a lot of young talent, and my hope is we will continue to improve, even with a subpar first round pick. if JS has taught me anything, it has been that you can get Leon Washington’s in the 6th F-ing round, and my guess is Pete and JS are going to get their guys this offseason, by any means necessary.

Let’s pray Derek Anderson has reasons to smile at the end of the game Sunday, and let’s hope we don’t lay a ginormous egg vs Carolina (season over if we do). Let’s hope St. Louis gets smoked by KC, and NO, but in the end let’s hope we are at worst 1 game in the loss column behind St. Louis come week 17 – because if we are the Seahawks under Carroll will likely win that game and make the playoffs a lot SOONER than anyone would have guessed by beating a former Sooner (pun intended)

12. variable575 says:

They didn’t beat KC so you dispense with the “what ifs”. No hope to begin with. Just a little surprise now followed with a reinforcement of painful expectation.

13. The Seahawks have made the playoffs only 10 times in their 34-year history. I, for one, am always thrilled when they do — and will be again this year if it happens. I will also be thrilled with a 9-7 non-playoff season. But I don’t see that happening.

14. variable575 says:

I’d like to know if we could mortgage a few draft classes by trading up and nabbing Andrew Luck. To tell the truth though, I think Luck will be average and a possible bust depending on what team he goes to. Like I stated before, I’d like to see us resign Hass and draft Moore if he enters.

Good point, Canfan.

15. By the way, these are the records of the last 10 Super Bowl champs the year before they won it all.

Saints in 2008: 8-8
    Steelers in 2007: 10-6
    Giants in 2006: 8-8
    Colts in 2005: 14-2
    Steelers in 2004: 15-1
    Patriots in 2003: 14-2 (Super Bowl champs)
    Patriots in 2002: 9-7
    Bucs in 2001: 9-7
    Patriots in 2000: 5-11
    Ravens in 1999: 8-8

Not that I’m saying the Seahawks have a chance in 2011. I think our Super Bowl year (hopefully) will be 2013 or 2014.

16. “Also, Red Bryant was the difference make(and Cole)?? Or did people just find away to scheme around PC? Last time I checked we were on the verge of labeling Bryant a bust and Cole was no better then second string on a packer defense. It’s a fair question to ask and at this point it can’t answered accurately.”

Those are great and important questions, Variable, but I think they can be answered.

Its not that other teams are “scheming around PC”, its more that he doesn’t have the players to continue running the same D-line scheme with Cole and Bryant missing. Bryant was not simply better than anyone else we have to play LDE, we had no one else on the roster similar to him. Same with Cole, no one else on the roster is like Cole.

As for “labeling Bryant a bust”, the scouting reports I was reading back in 2008 raved about his combination of size, speed, and explosiveness, and then he tore up his knee as soon as he arrived in training camp. When fans label a young injured player “a bust” that’s just wrong and should be ignored. Also, Red was put at DT, where he could not play low enough to succeed against NFL guards. Teaching him to play LDE, along with his getting healthy, changed everything. Athletically, he’s in another league for a guy over 320, much like Marcus Tubbs was back in 2005. So, yes, I think Bryant was that much of a difference maker and when he went down we had no similar player to step in, much like when Tubbs went down injured in 2006.

In Cole’s case, he was the only true NT we had on our roster. Yes he was “second string on a packer defense”, as you say, because he was young then. When Ruskell brought him to Seattle, Cole had to switch to the 4-3 one-gap scheme and his skills were not suited for that. So he was a pretty average DT in that scheme. This year the scheme let him move to a two-gap NT position where he could do what he does best. But similar to Bryant, no one else on our roster could fill Cole’s shoes when he went down. There simply aren’t very many good two-gap NTs in the NFL. Few teams have two on their roster.

So, yes, Bryant and Cole were difference-makers. This year was the first year they played these positions for the Seahawks, and no one else on our roster has the same skills to fill their shoes.

I think our coaches deserve huge praise for aligning their scheme to take advantage of the skills of these unique players, but being two-deep at every position wasn’t possible for this team. We were a good team only as long as all the starters stayed healthy. That’s over now. Great playoff teams are often two-deep at key positions. We simply aren’t there yet.

17. In the past 10 years, teams that have won the superbowl, have one thing in common, “a QB who was drafted in the first round of draft.”

18. Tom Brady and Brad Johnson were late round picks. But I would say that Super Bowl-winning teams have either a great QB or great defense or both.

19. freedom_X says:

Drew Brees was drafted in the 2nd round. Kurt Warner was a free agent. 6 of the last 10 Super Bowls were won by non 1st round QB’s.

If Andrew Luck is really what people say, the only way it will be possible to trade for him (if he comes out) is if the team with the #1 pick already has a QB.

Carolina needs a QB in the worst way. The Bengals would probably take a QB too unless Mike Brown is scared by the price tag of Luck and trades down to save money. I think Buffalo would pull the trigger, even Fitzpatrick is the real deal. Arizona – a resounding YES. The worst thing for Seattle is if Arizona ends up with the #1 pick. Better hope for another AZ win or two as insurance.

The other teams are more interesting. Would Detroit give up on Stafford? I don’t think Dallas would give up on Romo. Denver? Very interesting, with the McDaniels kook show going on he might draft another QB. Or he might ignore the best QB prospect in a decade to prove that he’s right about Tebow.

20. So if all we need is a first round QB we have a ton of guys to choose from. In Fact here are all of the 1st round QB’s from 1990 – 2009

How many of these guys would you want? or ever made it to a super bowl?

Here are the guys I would list as a bust: (20)
    Andre Ware, Dan McGwire , Todd Marinovich , David Klingler, Rick Mirer , Heath Shuler , Jim Druckenmiller , Cade McNown , Ryan Leaf , Tim Couch , Akili Smith , David Carr , Joey Harrington , Kyle Boller , J.P. Losman ,
    Alex Smith , Matt Leinart , JaMarcus Russell , Brady Quinn , Matt Jones Never Played QB

Servicable but not an ELITE (9)
    Jeff George, Tommy Maddox, Kerry Collins ,Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Jay Cutler

Gave the team a chance at a superbowl or got there (8)

Drew Bledsoe ,Trent Dilfer, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb,Eli Manning
    Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rogers

Too early to tell (IMO) (10)
    Michael Vick , Patrick Ramsey, Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

That makes almost as many busts -20 – as solid players – 27 in the last and in Reality only like 12 of these guys have or have a legit chance to get thier team to
    the super bowl – thats about 1/4 guys drafted (in the first round) that give you a chance.

21. Cole is a solid cog in our machine. Losing him is magnified because the depth behind him is so bad. He’s not a “difference maker” by way of Cortez Kennedy or Kenny Easley, but his presence is important. He’s a role player who performs his role in an above average manner in stuffing the run and a below average manner in rushing the passer (but that’s not what he’s asked to do as much, although it would be nice to get more pressure from that position, so I’m definitely okay with him).

It’s amazing to me that Bryant was on the verge of being a bust at DT and then gets moved to LDE and he truly became a difference maker for us. No, not in the mold of Kennedy/Easley, but just below that echelon of a player being good to great. He was so good and I’m so excited to see him back again next year!

22. Nice post, xcman. There are no guarantees that a “sure thing” first round QB is any good.

That brings up two points in my mind: #1 We need to re-sign Hasselbeck Now before his free agency begins. And, #2, we should not take a QB high in the draft unless the right player is there. We have so many other needs. Even though we all want the QB of the future, trading out of the first round for more picks just might be the best strategy unless the QB Carroll loves happens to be sitting there when he picks.

I hope Andrew luck enjoys playing in Buffalo or Carolina. Good luck.

23. SEAHAWK mexican says:

This is simple guys do not matter to me have to PA and where to put their money, nor comp PC assistants need to work to build a SUPER team but after 35 years of the FANS from this city we need a real SUPER team and win a SUPER BOWL

24. It’s fun to talk about which first-round QB’s were successful and which were busts, but xcman’s post stops the show with his very first words.

It simply isn’t true that “all we need is a first-round QB”. We need a lot more than that.

We have too many important positions manned by aging journeymen, without enough young up-and-comers as their backups. This is especially true for our patchwork offensive line. We’ve been signing younger players, sure, but we keep cutting them and playing the veterans.

As long as we’re identifying common attributes of Super Bowl winners, I’ll bet that offensive line continuity is one of them. Until we put together a sufficiently-talented line that can avoid the injury plague, we’re not going anywhere.