Hasselbeck, Okung look solid in practice

Post by Ryan Divish on Nov. 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm with 51 Comments »
November 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Both quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and Russell Okung participated extensively in Wednesday’s practice.

Hasselbeck was wearing a black brace on his injured left wrist and then wore a tackified glove on the left hand. He participated in all the team drills. He even did hand-offs. Perhaps the one noticeable thing that Hasselbeck did not do was take snaps directly from center. When plays called for him to line up under center, he just held on to the ball and Chris Spencer simulated the snap. I wouldn’t read anything into it, other than they are just trying to limit any wear and tear.

Okung worked at left tackle with the first team unit and looked solid in pass protection and moved around well. As Boling said to me, “I’d be surprised if he didn’t play on Sunday.”

Here’s the fully injury report …

General Seahawks

I like it. All hands on deck this weekend. Saints are a tough matchup under the best of circumstances.

2. It’ll be so nice for Matt/Lynch/Force to have a legit left side of the line. I’m getting warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

3. chuck_easton says:

Not holding my breath or anything but I will definitely get the frilly little black number ready to go by taping a #76 to the back of it.

Oh, Duke, It’s -12c (9F) here with a wind child of -2c (-4F) . Also about a foot of snow on the ground.

IF Okung can stay healthy and finish the next 4 full games the picture will be sent and I’ll be the COOOLDDD one in the picture.

4. chuck_easton says:

make the wind child -20c

5. variable575 says:

chuck,

Where ’bouts do you live?

I wish I had a foot of snow on the ground where I live. Although, two years in a row, prior to last yr, the spokane/cheney area was hit pretty hard which happened to be my first two years in the area.

6. nighthawk2 says:

I’m fully confident that Okung will re-aggrevate the ankle injury and be carried or carted off the field again. It’s all he’s done this season.

7. chuck_easton says:

variable,

I live in Calgary Alberta. It was 10c (50F) last weekend and then winter hit yesterday.

It comes fast here.

8. raymaines says:

I say again: Come on kid, earn your money

9. I’ve got $10 that says he makes it through the game.

10. chuck – we’re not that bad off yet. We did get our first snow last weekend though.

Too funny, Chuck. By the way, are we certain that pabuwal and nighthawk2 aren’t the same person? lol.

12. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I’m hoping that the O-line coach will tell our offensive line to avoid Okung: Seems like a fellow Seahawk caused both of his injuries. On a side note, I know we don’t have to win all of our remaining games to win our division. Still, a win against a quality opponent like New Orleans would do a lot to boost confidence after those two humiliating losses.

Lastly, anyone else seen the Nike’s proposed Seahawk uniform for 2012? If you haven’t you can view it here: http://lulzimg.com/i8/c2648fed.png

13. I miss our silver pants but that top looks too futuristic. It almost looks like one of those ugly fox robots.

If it were up to me, I’d go back to the silver helmets but keep the same/current logo, and I’d also wear silver pants for all 16 games.

14. Great news. Obviously, our best shot at keeping this one close is to keep their offense off the field. They’re not quite the sam team w/out pierre thomas and reggie bush (i’m thinking he’s not going to be a full gamespeed), but it will still be a tough one – – I’m hoping we can keep it interesting.

15. “I’d also wear silver pants for all 16 games”

Technically, you can wear whatever you want while watching the games . . .

That uniform is really flashy and kind of collegiate. Very Nike. As long as they don’t change the logo I can live with it. I guess the best thing I can say is that they are an updated version of they classic Seahawk uniform. But so help me god, if they screw up the logo you’re going to be reading about a lone gunman down in Beaverton.

17. I remember being so scared and nervous when I heard they were going to change our old logo and, even though I think our new uniform is ugly compared to our old ones, the logo was a definite improvement. I was very happy and don’t want it changed either.

18. “Pete Carroll: Ben Obomanu has earned starting WR job in Seattle. Will remain in lineup at New Orleans. At expense of Deon Butler.”

From Sando’s twitter feed. I think it’s probably a good move – Obo is a better target (even though he dropped that TD . . ). I’m sure Butler will still get snaps.

He will for sure. Their “base” offensive personnel set is the “posse” (3 WR, 1TE, 1RB). So Butler will be in the slot there, I’d imagine. Which is good for him, it should allow him to run a lot of inside breaking routes, away from defenders. And as we saw last week, that takes advantage of his speed and puts him at an advantage.

Also, well deserved for Obo. The guy just keeps his head down and does whatever is asked of him. And usually very well.

20. Ewalters7354 says:

I absolutely hope the Hawks win.I am gonna be in the midst of all Saints fans and it would be lovely to hear nothing but me rooting,Lol…my boys are coming to town this week! I might try and go find them.Lol..Go Hawks!

21. Ewalters7354 says:

I also hope AC has turned the corner with his game last week.Also,I like having Obo at flanker.He does nothing but work hard and make plays.We need a good showing this week.

22. variable575 says:

Those proposed nike uniforms are disgusting. Like already said, very nike.

One thing I can’t stand are differing colors between pants and jersey. I prefer all blue (same color blue) and all white– away. I can’t stand it when they have blue jerseys with white pants–nasty!

…………..silver helmet with the all blues might be ok though.

The “new” color scheme (the ones they have now) don’t look as good with different color jersey’s and pants, IMO. The monochromatic look better. But the old Seahawk colors were perfect with blue jerseys and silver pants. Then white jerseys with the silver pants. Still miss those.

24. I blame our current blue over blue uniforms for ALL our OL issues!!!!

They look like fricken blueberries and play like they have been squished!!!!!!!!!!!! Silver pants would be a GREAT addition. The blue over the white looks bad and White on White – is just plain stupid – no life no color BORING

BTW – I think Nike started with the NFL and the Denver Broncos if I am not mistaken

25. Did anyone else notice how the “bump” in the thigh pad in the uniform pic looks a lot like a Nike swoosh? I wonder if it’s an intentional subliminal message? lol

26. It’s seems like they’re trying to make the gear look like a “super hero” or something. I don’t know about it, myself…

27. chuck_easton says:

Ok,

As for that new uniform. It would probably look good on WR’s, RB’s, DB’s and such.

I just can’t see a widebody OL or DL pulling off all that. Or maybe that’s just me projecting my middleaged midrift into the idea.

28. If I ever find a spare couple of billion dollars, I’m going to try to buy the Seahawks from PA. If I can pull off the deal, we’re going back to our retro uniforms full time. The ONLY difference will be in keeping the new logo. Those were sweet uniforms and not like the ugly crap that the Denver Broncos initiated over a decade ago of pro teams looking like amateur morons.

This is for Duke — one day per year (home game) we would go with a green jersey instead of blue (don’t worry, it’d be the more traditional green over the lime stuff of today… lol).

29. I figured the first thing you would do after buying the team would be to offer $100m contracts each to 4 FA OL and then extend Okung for 10 years, $200m.

Apparently those “pro combat” nike uniforms are a take-off of the college uniforms they put out this year. They were unofficial and I’ve actually read that they were fan generated using the “pro combat” concept. Each team will have to approve any change to their scheme, just like college. So while schools like Oregon and Boise St decide to make the switch, Alabama stayed traditional. I feel much better about it this morning.

31. SeahawkFan12 says:

I’d love to see us go back to silver helmets with the current logo, blue jerseys and silver pants. In fact, I’d love to see us go back to the unis we had just before the switch!

32. bird_spit says:

I’d much rather PA and company invest in real grass field at Qwest and the VMAC. I don’t care what they wear as long as the green stains are obvious.

I care about injuries, and I would bet money the turf has a lot to do with it.

I would build a team capable of winning in the grass and mud. That translates into a OL built for power and less finesse. I would want TEs that can catch as well. I’d make Qwest not only difficult with noise, but difficult because of the elements.

Sorry for the interruption, but if BobbyK can dream, we all can. :)

Bird – I would love it if they had real grass at Qwest. I remember when PA was first talking about financing a new stadium he said it had to have real grass. Obviously he came off that point. But I’m with you on that.

34. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/18/nfl.week.11.picks/index.html?eref=sihp

Peter King doesn’t have much faith in our Hawks .. .check out that predicted score.

35. Speaking of grass, do you think Mike Ditka is smoking some? He apparently picked the Niners to win the division. I don’t see what they have that the Seahawks don’t. Really, if the Seahawks were 3-6, do you think anyone would be picking them for anything but last place? Last I checked, the Niners were yet to win an away game (unless you count London), whereas the Seahawks have won two.

36. Peter King probably just looks at scores, such as the 41-7 loss to the Giants, and doesn’t realize that Mebane, Okung and Hass were missing. I just don’t see the Saints scoring 51 on the Seahawks defense.

I’ll be very interested to see how Bates schemes the Saints. Against the Bears they ran primarily nickel sets (and Bandit later in the game) feeling they could contain the run with the front four. The Saints would seem to present them with similar issues. However, in order to keep Curry on the field in non-base sets, unlike the Bear game, they’ve moved him to DT in nickel and NT in Bandit recently. That would seem to be an awful matchup for the ‘Hawks vs a very strong Saints o line. I’m sure they want to keep him on the field as much as possible coming off of last weeks game, but that will present some real issues for them.

38. bird_spit says:

I am hoping they run the base 4-3 hybrid often. I predict that if they don’t JJ will slash them for a 20-30 yd gain. He has a strange knack at hurting the hawks.. He might just put them to sleep with the jabs. I hope our team can score early and often, so we can keep up with them. I’d predict a shoot out, and turnovers will determine the winner. Or I predict a Oakland style thrashing… It is all up to which team shows up on Sunday; @ 1pm I might add.

39. bird_spit says:

I with this one was played in Seattle. Good chance that Qwest will have snow Sunday.

40. bird_spit says:

Make that :
    I wish this one was played in Seattle. Good chance that Qwest will have snow Sunday.

41. “Actually, all silver(helmet,jersey, pants) with blue and green mixed in could be really cool. ”

Agreed, that would be flithy.

Also…big ups to King Felix!

Not that you discount any player but JJ’s not a focus of their offense. Brees however, is averaging 41 pass attempts a game. I do agree that they have to control the run, no question. But they have a young and wildly inconsistent secondary that I’m sure Brees can take advantage of.

As I said, it’s going to be very interesting to how they approach it. Perhaps a sort of 3-3-5, pseudo nickel? Keep Curry at Sam and on the TE rather than DE with Siavii, Mebane, Clem. We’ll see.

43. Whoever wins the NFC West, I sure hope they go far in the playoffs (just as in 2005 and 2008), so all the people dissing the division would shut up. Here’s another one:

Excerpt: “According to Variance, four of the most inconsistent teams in the NFL all play in the NFC West. The problem, statistically, is that all four are pretty bad but they have played each other several times, which creates an echo chamber. The Seahawks look great for blowing out the Niners and Cardinals but then look terrible when losing to the Rams (and real teams like the Giants). Also, while there’s an upper limit on greatness, there is no lower limit on terrible, and you don’t want to challenge any NFC West team to a limbo tournament.

So let’s kick the Pacific Hapless Conference out of the rankings and talk about the five least consistent real teams:”

44. The only way to stop that talk is to play a close game against the Saints rather than the typical 20+ point loss.

45. longco44 says:

BobbyK’s statement:

“If I ever find a spare couple of billion dollars, I’m going to try to buy the Seahawks from PA.”

That would be perfectly fine with me. As long as you don’t pull a Clay Bennett and pack the team up and move them to Oklahoma! This area up here loves their Seahawks (probably more-so than the sonics) and there would probably be quite the bounty on you if you took the Hawks to OKC!! lol

46. Week 1 Favre wasn’t playing very well, or MIN would have beaten NO.
    Yards: MIN got 162P + 91R, NO 229P + 79R.
    TOP: MIN 26:17 NO 33:43

Week 2 SF very nearly took NO to OT, but for a last minute NO FG. Gore outrushed Pierre Thomas – more yards and TD, and Smith nearly outpassed Brees. Smith got more yardage but Brees more TDs.
    Yards: SF 275P + 142R, NO 237P + 50R.
    TOP: SF 27:20 NO 32:40

Week 3 ATL beat NO straight up – 27-24 in OT. Brees outpassed Ryan but Turner outran Thomas. Good tight game – no “fluke”.
    Yards: ATL 215P + 202R, NO 355P + 43R.
    TOP: ATL 45:50 NO 27:15

Week 4 vs CAR, they played NO well – close game NO won 16-14.
    Yards: CAR 133P + 118R, NO 262P + 121R.
    TOP: CAR 21:38 NO 38:22

Week 5 Remember during Hawks bye – what AZ did to NO? Everyone was saying it was a “fluke”. AZ beat NO at the JiffyPop Dome 30-20. How’d they do it? – 3 Def & STs TDs.
    Yards: AZ 153P + 41R, NO 273P + 85R
    TOP: AZ 29:59 NO 30:01

Week 6 @ TB. NO clobbered em 31-6.
    Yards: TB 235P + 42R, NO 263P + 212R
    TOP: TB 28:31 NO 31:29

Week 7 vs CLE. Another “fluke”. CLE won 30-17. CLE got 2 Def & STs TDs. Tebows passing wasn’t good, but he didn’t throw any picks. Brees did.
    Yards: CLE 85P + 125R, NO 336P + 58R
    TOP: CLE 24:26 NO 35:34

Week 8 vs PIT, NO won 20-10. Roethlisberger was 17-28, 195 yds, 0 tds, while Brees went 34-44, 305 yds, 2 tds.
    Yards: PIT 171P + 108R, NO 288P + 30R
    TOP: PIT 25:54 NO 34:06

Week 9 @ CAR, NO clobbered em this time 34-3. Clausen isn’t doing very good 8-18, 47 yds, 0 tds, and CAR’s main RB in that game Sutton got 7 car, 41 yds, 0 tds. Kinda like Hawks vs Giants.
    Yards: CAR 68P + 127R, NO 243P + 165R
    TOP: CAR 25:19 NO 34:41

Week 10 Bye

Week 11: This would be an extremely good week for LW to get another coupla return TDs. Also, if SEA can stuff NO’s rushing, it would be a really good game to see Lofa, Milloy, ET, Tru, KJ, etc get a coupla picks. Just two picks taken to the house could mean a win for the Hawks. If Hawks get the pick and get tackled short it’ll probably be a FG at best. Very interesting game – GO HAWKS!!!

47. klm, Nice review, I think it just shows that NO is beginning to come on strong.

but you say “if SEA can stuff NO’s rushing” ?
    without Cole and Bryant?
    I don’t think that’s going to happen.
    NO has a seriously badass offensive line.

By the way, what’s going on with Lofa’s knee?

48. Palerydr says:

I don’t like the matchups of our pass defense against their pass offense. It really doesn’t look good for us at all. The only way we win is to play mistake free football(I’m starting to sound like a broken record) We have to get turnovers and a couple easy scores. We also have to score TD’s inside the redzone.

49. Okung + Lynch = BEAST MODE, but will New Orleans shut down our rushing attack anyway?

If the Seahawks really wanted to maximize their rushing attack for the next 7 games, they could swap the OGs. Put Big Stacy Andrews at LG next to Okung and those two big horses would blast open some rushing lanes.

Pitts showed great technique last week, but looks a bit weak and I wouldn’t expect his knee to be back to full strength until next year. He’s a great pass-pro OG at this point, but I don’ think he’s going to help the rushing game much until he’s back at full strength.

Putting Andrews at LG for now is just an idea to improve the run game (I believe Andrews needs to be at RT next year once we have more OGs on this team). But I wouldn’t expect our coaches to change anything right now. I expect them to opt for stability on the O line and keep everyone where they are.

50. ryanryan says:

I liked the new jersey, save the white down the side of the torso…the silver pants are a little plain everywhere other than the no-seam crotch which looked stupid. I also don’t like the oregan duck undershirt.

when i play madden i use our retro uniform at home and the lime green alternate jersey with the silver helmet/pants for away games.

ryanryan76 if you play online ps3 madden