Morning links: A homecoming for Lynch

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 28, 2010 at 8:25 am with 28 Comments »
October 28, 2010 8:25 am
Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch (Rod Mar/Seattle Seahawks).

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch returns to Oakland for a first time as a professional. But when asked about his affinity for the Raiders growing up, Lynch didn’t have much to say.

“The anticipation of going back is huge,” he said. “But like I said before, it’s a business trip. You still have to go ahead with a clear mind, stay focused and not let outside things – as far as I’m going to have family attending the game – play a factor in this.”

Lynch has had a measurable impact on his new team. In four games before the trade with Buffalo, Seattle averaged 79.5 yards a game on the ground. In the past two games with Lynch, Seattle is averaging 127.5 yards a contest.

That’s bad news for the Raiders, who are giving up an average of 139 yards per game on the ground.

Greg Johns of Seattlepi.com profiles kicker Olindo Mare, who jokes that he should send Jim Mora a Christmas Card. Mare hasn’t missed a kick, 30 consecutive overall, since Mora called his effort unacceptable after he missed two kicks in the team’s loss to Chicago last year.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com offers these photos from the Arizona game.

Tim Booth of the Associated Press writes that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll is leaning on is rookies in the secondary, a philosophy he developed while at USC.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald writes that the resurrection of receiver Mike Williams’ career continues.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com tells us about the interesting matchup that will occur between Mike Williams and Nnamdi Asomugha.

According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Seneca Wallace believes he should be the starting quarterback for Cleveland now that his ankle has healed.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post has an interesting breakdown of a Green Bay red zone play that could also work for Seattle in a similar situation.

Pat Kirwan of the NFL Network explains why defenseless hits will continue to be an issue in Cover 2 defense. It’s a nice breakdown and worth a look.

Yahoo Sports breaks down the early playoff scenarios heading into Week 7, and they include Seattle.

Steve Corkran of the Oakland Tribune writes that quarterback Bruce Gradkowski missed another practice, so it looks like Jason Campbell will be the guy for the Raiders on Sunday.

Vittorio Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle writes with Louis Murphy out with a bruised lung, young receivers Jacoby Ford, Johnnie Lee Higgins and Darrius Heyward-Bey will have to step up and make plays.

Morning links
  1. Apparently Kiwanuka is going to be placed on IR, that will certainly bennifit us when Giants visit, that mixed with all the false starts the G-men usually have, especially at Qwest Field should make it a great game. I know I’m getting ahead of myself here, but that story made me less afraid of the Giants game.

2. CaliSeahawker says:

It’s OK to think about the Giants game! However, this game coming up is either going to be extremely close, or a blowout win for the Raiders. I hate myself for being the ultimate pessimist, but until we can prove that we can win games on the road against teams with and without momentum, I expect the Seahawks to lay an egg.

Beating CHI looks more and more meaningless every week. Chicago may be the one of the NFC’s worst teams.

Oakland on the other hand is still on a high, and have quite a bit of momentum themselves. If we find a way to beat them, the Giants game won’t be as scary :-)

Let the GI upset begin.

3. bird_spit says:

JHChrist Cali, I think we need to find you some Pete Carroll cool-aid in sunny CA.

The Oakland game will be funny to watch, but I expect these Hawks to win. If the SEA vs DEN hawks show up, then maybe OAK wins. If you remember the first drive of the DEN game, tons of momentum, but failed to drive it home. Had SEA scored, the confidence would have been huge, and that game would have been very different. I’m expecting a big day for our RBs and BMW.

Remember, we have Mr Beastmode now. The whole dynamic of the offense changed with his addition.

4. SandpointHawk says:

Sando has some interesting info on the penalty situation and the NFC West…

5. CaliSeahawker says:

I totally agree with you. I just can not ever convince myself that we are winning, because it makes a loss that much more difficult to swallow. Do you get a sense that I do not cope very well with gut wrenching defeat? :-)

I am much more confident in silencing the NYG in SEA if we get the win in OAK! This Sunday is going to be huge, because I do not expect any of the other NFC West teams to lose.

6. variable575 says:

Eric,

In light of our running performance, this question seems out of place but I’ll still ask. I remember the media talking about how Lynch had “lost a step”, obviously there’s something to that considering what Buffalo did the last few years at that position.

To the point now, Lynch is a natural RB and has great ability, but, does he look to be slightly over weight? I can’t tell if it’s muscle or if he’s packed a couple pounds. He looks heavier now then when he came out of college and made the pro-bowl. I could be mistaken here but thought i’d ask.

7. Palerydr says:

As a fan I expect the Hawks to win as a realist well… I think they need to follow the standard formula for teams on the road to win. Run the ball, Maintain time of possession(keep the chains moving), keep the crowd out of it, keep penalties to a min and NO TURNOVERS = Hawks win.

Heres a bio on Nate Ness from Seahawks roster page
    * Originally signed by the Cleveland Browns as an undraft- ed free agent on May 1, 2009. Released by the Cleveland Browns on July 15, 2009. Signed by New York Jets on August 19, 2009 before being released on August 31, 2009. Signed by the Seattle Seahawks on September 2, 2009, before being released on September 5, 2009. Signed to the Dolphins practice squad on October 27, 2009 before being signed to the active roster on November 23, 2009. Released from active roster on November, 23, 2009, and re-signed to the Miami practice squad on Novmber 25, 2009. Re-signed with Miami on January 5, 2010, before being released on September 4, 2010.

COLLEGE: ARIZONA
    Started all 13 contests as a senior in 2008, fin- ishing second on the team with 75 tackles, two tackles for loss and two interceptions. Had five interceptions as a jun- ior, finishing with 32 tackles and starting the final six con- tests. Spent two seasons at El Camino Junior College dur- ing which time he recorded 19 interceptions, eight of which he returned for touchdowns. Named Junior College Athletic Bureau, CCCFCA first-team All-America and Junior College Gridwire first-team All-American in 2005. SuperPrep Juco 100 at No. 14. Mission Conference co-Defensive Player of the Year, first-team All-Mission Conference in 2005. Made the post-season 2004 JC Grid-Wire All-American team

8. It’s SEA’s lines. DL sans Mebane = not so good. OL sans Okung = worse. Get healthy Hawks, please.

9. yea a win this week is so huge. I really dont see the hawks winning both of their next 2 games, but going 0-2 would really be a downer. I just hope last week was a fluke for the raiders.

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

RE: Sando’s penalty post

Why am I no surprised that AARON CURRY is among the division leaders in PENALTIES?!?! He almosst has more penalties than he does tackles!! AND this is despite him being so putrid that he’s taken off the field in 3rd downs!!!

THANKS FOR THE TOP 5 BUST TIM RUSKELL

11. Missing Okung and Mebane will probably be the difference in this one.

12. “Seattle averaged 79.5 yards a game on the ground. In the past two games with Lynch, Seattle is averaging 127.5 yards a contest.”

Great stat. Let’s also remember that Marshawn Lynch’s games coincided with installing Russell Okung at LT.

With Okung against Cardinals: 6 rushes for 61 yards (6.0 avg)
    Without Okung against Cards: 30 rushes for 83 yards (2.7 avg)
    With Okung against Bears: 31 for 111 yds (3.6 avg)
    All RBs/all rushes without Okung: 118 for 365 (3.1 avg)

The success of our running game is the result of Lynch and Okung together, not Lynch alone.

13. IdahoHawk says:

So are Okung and Mebane out for this game?

Actually, 3 of his 4 penalties came on 3rd down. Which I’ve got to believe directly resulted in firsts for the offense. And while 4 penalties is not “almost as many tackles” (19) as he has, the fact that 75% of them came on 3rd is significantly worse, to me.

Mebane not able to go will be an issue, despite how Balmer has been playing. Because that means Terrill is now bumped up into the 3 tech rotation and that is a significant downgrade against a very stout running offense.

15. CaliSeahawker says:

Any of you guys coming to the Seahawks @ Arizona game this year? I may be able to go. I am a 3-hour drive from Glendale!

16. Carlsonkid says:

We have a long way to go before we’re ‘the best’ anything , but allow me to put forth a scenario and then ask yourself how unlikely is it to happen , and would you really be that surprised if it did :

Our next 2 games are at the Raiders and the Giants at home . Currently , the Raiders are 2 point favorites for Sundays game . That’s not even home field advantage , which is generally understood to be 3 points . Yes , we could lose the game – but how surprised would you be if we beat them , really ? Quite frankly , I expect us to win this game – McFadden is not going to rush for 4 TD’s and 100+ yards against the league’s #2 Defense against the run , and go look at their QB’s stats for that game against Denver ; not exactly anything that should strike terror in the hearts of a secondary . This is not Peyton Manning we’re talking about here people . Run the ball , don’t turn it over and get the ball into Lynch and William’s hands and we should win at Oakland .

Then we come home and play a very good Giants team . At home . Allow me to repeat that – AT HOME ! I’ve been a season ticket holder for years and I can personally attest to the fact that the Giants have not exactly had a whole bunch of success at Qwest Field , to the point of SNL spoofing “Jay Feely’s Long Ride Home” ( google it ) , and another game where we got them to false start 3 plays in a row for a total of 11 on the day . If we won a close game at home against the Giants , would you really be that surprised ? You shouldn’t – it could very well happen …

At that point we’re 6-2 and just beat the Giants – a heavy-weight in the NFC according to most pundits – with the next game after that against a quarterback-less Arizona team down there . And then how surprised would the national media be about the ‘laughable’ Seahawks ?!

17. How about you take it the logical step forward and have the Seahawks finishing at 17-2 with Hasselbeck making First Team All Pro after putting up a passer rating over 100?

18. SandpointHawk says:

….. Seahawks finishing at 17-2 with Hasselbeck making First Team All Pro after putting up a passer rating over 100?

And Aaron Curry makes All Pro?

19. freedom_X says:

I think the sample set is too small to say Okung == +3 yds/carry avg.

Watching Lynch, I can see why Seattle’s running game is more effective – he consistently gets 1-2 extra yards because he’s breaking tackles. The backs prior to Lynch almost always went down on the 1st hit. Forsett had a good average because he was able to elude the 1st tackler, but that meant the running game was boom or bust. It wasn’t consistent.

I tend to think that the teams were not ready for Seattle’s running attack early. Both in Chicago and against AZ, Lynch was effective early, but as the D’s adjusted he had to grind out the yards. That’s where you can see Lynch getting something for nothing – he’s not getting great blocking. Even when Okung was there, I don’t see straight running lanes being opened.

I miss Okung more in pass protection actually. And as others have pointed out, it seems like the O-line could be better if Locklear was replaced by Polumbus on the right side? Locklear’s penalties are really starting to bug me. But I thought I heard some analyst or one of the Seattle coaches saying Locklear had a good game last Sunday?

20. ruminator1 says:

enough already on the curry is bust nonsense. you have made your point ad naseum. i’ll help you this one time: Curry-Is-a Bust thinks Curry is a bust. damn, thought i’d never get that into my head.
    on lynch-on someone’s earlier post re his popularity in seattle locker room. he was very popular in the buffalo locker room too. he wasn’t let go because they thought he had lost a step. they just liked their running game with spiller/jackson and knew signing lynch would still net them a 3rd running back and not the starter. i have been pushing lynch on this site since right after the draft and was overjoyed when they got the deal done. since then, like almost everyone on this blog i have bveen thrilled with his attitude, his effort and his results. i don’t look to 100 yd days, though he probably will have some, but i do look to production. i like very much what we have in running backs and he is the key. would love to see washington get more touches. if he can produce returning kickoffs, as he used to, then surely he can produce occasionally from the backfield like he used to.
    finally, on thurmond–i suppose i am in a large minority here but i like him starting over jennings.

I don’t know that you are in the minority there. Thurmond’s play has been impressive and definitely converting what non-believers there were. Also, Jennings run luke warm across the board with fans in general, so you’re in good company. Or at least with a growing crowd.

That said, they still need a healthy Jennings. They run so many dime and Bandit (7 DBs) formations, they need Jennings to get and stay healthy and play at his best to improve their pass defense.

22. CaliSeahawker says:

If the Seahawks go 7-2 as you all are hoping, and speculating (beating OAK, NYG, ARZ) – then I will. . . .nah, won’t even go there :-)

Yeah, we can all rationalize ways to get to whatever record we want them to have. And using point spreads to determine how stringent a home field advantage a team holds is useless, if I may. We’re getting way ahead of ourselves. Oakland is no pushover. Let’s see how they react there, then look at the Giants game. Granted it’s fun to dream, but this team has a LONG way to go before they are 7-2.

24. I can see us beating the Raiders 24-12. I can see us losing 28-10. I can see the game coming down to a last second FG. Basically, I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about but I think we’re going to win.

Sometimes teams will come off a big win and come out flat the following week (the Raiders, I’m hoping, in this scenario).

Sometimes teams will lose bad or a close one and get their asses chewed to the point where they come out the following week on a mission.

I’m hoping the win at Denver has them pampering themselves and feeling good (which I think will be the case) and won’t be as intense as opposed if they were fighting hard after a week of getting harassed by coaches and we’ll come out with my “real” prediction of winning 20-14.

25. CaliSeahawker says:
    October 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

And have to listen to you talk about how were gonna get killed on the road?
    3hrs from Glendale? that should put you in the Palm Springs/Indio area.

26. ruminator1 says:

duke i agree on Jennings. i am also more convinced than ever that if one of the defensive backs had to go, wilson was the one. using what he has (n’t) done with Baltimore as a rough standard i would argue he isn’t front rank calibre. As i recall, he did recover a fumble but he also let a few TD’s go by him. Granted he is playing in a good quality defense, but even with Reed out, he wasn’t getting a lot of playing time. just my opinion. i wasn’t horrified they let him go; i wasn’t ecstatic about Jennings, though he played well in training camp. maybe the Wilson 4th (?) will provide someone fitting the PC mode.
    I am such an expert–my wrong choices on the Hawks have cost me big time in the pick em contest. i went with them re Arizona, and picked the last other 3 wrong even when i had “hunches.” am picking against them this week too. Maybe i will be a positive factor–if rumi picks it we are home by picking the opposite. anyway i think IF the hawks can limit (not stop) the run, that puts the pass defense on the line and i do not have confidence there. i actually think they can give the giants a very good game

27. Carlsonkid says:

I never said we were going to be 6-2 or 7-2 , I simply implied that 6-2 would not be that far-fetched to imagine given the circumstances … we’ll see what happens at Oakland and go from there , as Dukeshire says .

28. pabuwal says:

Offer accepted!

SandpointHawk says:

And Aaron Curry makes All Pro?

C’mon now, everybody knows that AaronCurryisBUST!

BobbyK says:
    …Basically, I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about but I think we’re going to win.

Same.