Seahawks 23, Bears 20 — Postgame Kool-Aid party

Post by Ryan Divish on Oct. 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm with 83 Comments »
October 17, 2010 1:18 pm
Beastly (AP photo)

Wow, I’ll admit that this an unexpected win for me. Nothing that I’d seen from Seattle suggested that they would go in and play the way they did. It’s very impressive. The Hawks won on the road in an early game and looked pretty good doing so. It was their first road win outside of the division since 2007.

Of course, it wasn’t dull. And of course, it can’t be easy. But it’s a win. Yes, Jon Ryan should have never punted to Devin Hester and his ribcage paid the price. But overall, that’s a good of a win as the Hawks have had in the last few season.

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

General Seahawks
  1. getALife996 says:

Is it true? Could we actually have a valid run game? I definitely enjoyed watching, now can only hope Ryan is ok to go next week (no idea how bad it is, but I like him as the punter)

2. Defense played great – pass rush all day long kept Cutler out of rhythm. Love what Clemons brings, and the blitzes were problems for them most of the game

Hass and the offense played well all game – until the 4th quarter, when I think the pressure of the situation, and how big it was to win a road game against a quality opponent really made them go conservative. It’s very clear that having Lynch immediately opens up the passing game for us. What a great pick-up for a 4th round pick.

What’s great about this win – is that there was nothing lucky about it – no big special teams plays (for us at least), no turnovers that gave it to us – we just beat them b/c we were better. And that feels awesome.

Now to enjoy Dallas-Minny.

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? – Win, not exactly. But I did think it would be a close in the 20s point game.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? – The entire offense and game plan has changed. HARD runner that never gives up on a play. Some of his best runs were just to get back to the line. VERY impressed.

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? – Of course. After kicking it away from him all day that was a gross laps of sound, fundamental football. A major mistake.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? – Lynch. He changed everything about the way this team plays. (candidates; Milloy, BMW, Lewis, Okung)

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, have your expectations changed after this win? – Yes. I now see this team, flaws and all, as a threat to win the division not have it handed to them at 8-8 or some such. If Seattle wants to be, they are a team that has to be dealt with. They will only get better. Okung’s play against Peppers was very impressive.

4. freedom_X says:

1) No. Matt Hasselbeck gets a road win against a team with a winning record. :)

2) Good. Tough runner. Seems like his style sets up a good counterpunch with Forsett, and teams have to pay a little extra attention to him. I didn’t think the O-line run blocking looked that good.

3) Not really, though I guess Seattle got overconfident since they bottled them up all game. They almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

4) Mike Williams really came though. The defense as a whole was very worthy, though this time I think the CB play can be criticized.

5) Okung was far better than I expected. If the O-line stays that solid, and Seattle can put up 100+ yards rushing on average the rest of the year, they have a decent chance at 9-7. Having a rushing counterpunch is just what Hasselbeck needs.

I hope Jennings isn’t out for long. Thurmond got burned. Or, I hope Thurmond improves rapidly in the heat of battle.

5. And once again – a team can’t run the ball against us. 61 yds rushing for the Bears. Our run D is for real.

On another note – the crummy Chargers lose to the Rams, was figuring SD wins that one.

6. tylakewalker says:

Okung gets the game ball. Marshawn is a big upgrade over julius jones. Well worth a 4th round pick.

7. 1 – No.
    2 – He will help us have a more balanced offense. Love the hard nosed running from him, making positive gains on plays that normally would have been losses.
    3 – Not when you punt it right to him in the middle of the field, with all that space. As everybody has said, it was a horrible punt. Ryan should have just kicked it out of bounds at that point. He was great the rest of the game though.
    4 – Defensive coaches. Loved all the blitzing and constantly getting in Cutler’s face.
    5 – Oh, yea. They showed everybody that they can win on the road against a good team. And it was an early start. A game they can build on for sure.

8. And I now hope the Bears win 10 games this year — just to mess up Pabuwal’s charts . .

9. Yeah, as others have pointed out – great game from Okung. He won’t face a better DE this year, and though I know he got help on many plays – we heard nothing from Peppers all day. That’s a huge victory for our guy.

10. freedom_X says:

Book those Friday flights for Sunday East coast road games from now on!

11. I was sitting there saying…. now watch after all this they will kick it to Hester.EEEEEEEEK!

12. Wow, go hawks Very bad clock management by chicago.

13. hopefully Ryan is ok….

14. thursday says:

tbh, i had a feeling they might win this one. i am surprised we seemed to dominate for much of it though.

lynch and forsett as a 1-2 punch is exactly what we needed.

um no. after that annoying prevent offense possession, i figured a punt return would be our punishing karma.

lynch. no doubt he was a huge difference

my expectations have changed a bit now. if we can win on the road against a 4-1 team, that means we have the talent to get it done. it’s a matter of whether we can play like that consistently.

15. thesagaciousman says:

Great job Hass! Go hawks!

16. bulldog80 says:

Yes I saw it coming. Predicted it days ago if you’ll check my posts. Game ball has to go to Mike Williams. We was huge all day. These are the kind of wins we can expect if we don’t turn the ball over.

I just want to say “EAT IT” to all of you fair weather fans who were so sure we couldn’t beat this team. LOL

It’s really telling that after a huge win on the road, there are just a fraction of the posts right now there are after a loss. Everyone like to pile on I guess.

18. I don’t think Peppers had a sack.

Game ball —-> Russell Okung. He enabled the passes to Williams, who was also great, but I saw Okung totally manhandle one of the best pass rushers in the league on several occasions.

No, he didn’t have a sack, in fact, Hass wasn’t sacked at all today. He was held to only two tackles (one solo) all day. That is a great job by Okung (and Lock when he rotated).

20. Love the win, Lynch rocks..

Deion Branch 7catches for 75 yds 1td in a NE win. only had a partial week to prepare.. so much for all the ire here..

If Djack dropped the passes Carlson does he’d catch hell on this blog.
    He needs to pick it up..

21. BTW, Bring on the Hasselhoff crap..

22. Yeah, Carlson, M Robinson, Tate, and Williams all dropped balls today – Hass was solid, made the plays when he had to – mostly to Mr. Williams.

Great win – man, I do love when we play the early game and win, makes the rest of Sunday football just gravy . . .

23. Great point about the win Dukeshire. People just love to trash on blogs.
    We got a win on the road. hell yeah!

24. And CaliSeahawker – we are waiting for the pics . . .

25. orbeavhawk says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

NOT really, but, thought/hoped [of course] that Matt w Da Beast would put their BEST game so far together and pull off an upset—–THANK God, they did!

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

So GLAD they pulled off that deal to get himm for us – – – he is definitely a game changer for us……….I see they gave him that TD Ball, and all I have to say is “Keep giviing balls to The Beastly!”

I was shocked that Ryan punted away to him….and ins pite of that, I was somewhat surprised that he was so easily able to return it…..BUT I think our ST were stunned also and did not expect him to even be able to touch the ball let alone catch and return it.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

Da BEAST – because without his running ability the rest of our offense would have not worked as well as it did.

We get into the Play Offs.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/#ixzz12eTEbTFK

26. I was impressed with Lynch. He didn’t have great numbers, but did get some tough yards. Forsett was great too. As long as Hass plays like this, Seattle has a good shot at 9-7.

Mike Williams is going to make a lot of Detroit Lions fans upset!

27. I love the dual running backs. The best part about is that even though they both have their strengths and are completely different backs. They both are all around back, that play on any down or any situation.

28. I’ll admit that I was not confident at all going into this game. When you consider that it was after the bye (we’ve never played well the week after the bye), it was an away game, and we were playing against one of the strongest defenses on one of the strongest teams in the league. If you bet on Seattle winning this game…more power to you.

I can’t say how happy I am wtih this win. Like a number of you have mentioned, this was a legitimate win. We really didn’t have anything fall our way that you could consider “lucky.” We just out played the Bears, pure and simple. Another thing that is nice about this win is that it will really pump up the confidence on the team, especially on the O-line. If our line can continue to perform like that, and our defense continues to stop the run, we are definitely a team to contend with.

29. oh yeah, Caliseahawker. Nice pick. You should apologize. buy us candy and flowers bitch. can i say that here?

30. 1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? whats the big deal? Seriously, why not?? I knew they werent favored to win this game and rightfully so, but ive always believed in the tools that the seahawks have and what real competitor would ever think that they CANT win this or any game?? whether your a pro athlete or not, if your a competitor you always believe you can win if your feeling good physically and if you can force your opponent to play the chess match you want to play.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? Came as advertised. turned negatives into positives. He made a big difference but the reasons are subtle.

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? No.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? M Lynch. only 40 yards but his presense gave the seahawks the mental edge. They believed the could move the ball and consequently, so did Chicago’s defense.

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win? Same dood. Ive always felt this team was good. PC is implementing a belief system for a winning organization and once you saw that the attitude and atmosphere was headed in the right direction, then you knew that success was coming and that its only a matter of time.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/10/17/seahawks-23-bears-20-postgame-kool-aid-party/#ixzz12eT9is1g

31. MadSweeney42 says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? No. Nothing I’ve seen of us on the road made me think we could even eek out a win, much less play well and deserve a win. I knew it was possible if we got to Cutler, but the O surprised me a lot today.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? Beef Moe! (that’s beast mode in his particular dialect). Exactly what we need. Hard hitting, never quitting power runner. I like how they split carries and Lynch saved us from 3rd a long many times.Will only get better as line gels and Lynch learns blitz pickups.

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? That he returned it? No. That any human being with any miniscule amount of football intelligence would punt to him in that game situation? If I woke up tomorrow with my head stapled to the floor I wouldn’t be more surprised.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? I actually would give it to Hass. He was as sharp as he’s ever been in the first half, played far above any game this year, didn’t do anything stupid and managed to avoid a few sacks by ditching the ball, spread the ball around. Obviously Mike X and Okung are sexier picks but Matty boy played like he knew his job was on the line.

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win? If the Rams weren’t playing well (which eventually you have to with so many high draft picks) I’d say the division was ours to lose but I am not so worried about Matt and the running game and a winning record should be theirs to lose as long as they keep the home field record tight. In fact, it may make the final game vs the Rams a major matchup which I plan on attending with my younger brother (from L.A. and Phoenix respectively).

Awesome win, I’m not used to being in a good mood for the late games when we play early so I’m going to enjoy this drizzly, chilly Los Angeles weather a lot more than I had expected to.

32. 1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? Was pretty worried about the road against Bears’ D, but was hopeful Lynch would contribute.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? Solid effort, numbers don’t tell the story of how many times he saved us from huge losses by fighting his way back to the LOS.

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? Nope, should have continued kicking away. Hope Ryan is okay.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? Offense-Okung, he manhandled (arguably) the best DE in the game. I actually saw a replay in slow-mo of him pancaking Peppers…NICE! Defense-Milloy, not only did he get one of the many sacks, but stepped up as a leader and got them into the right mind frame going into the game. That was huge too!

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win? If we can build on this, expectations are really going to climb.

33. 1. I hoped so, but didn’t think it would. Too much negative emotion from losing in St. Louis to drink the kool-aid.

2. Good player. Worth a 4th round pick. Eliminates going into the draft next year with a hole at RB. He and J-Force are a nice tandem.

3. When a player is great, it’s not surprising if he makes a great play against you (especially if you give him the opportunity).

4. Okung. I love good OL play and I’m partial to winning in the trenches before you can actually win the football game.

5. My pre-season prediction of 10-6 and winning the division is still on target. However, we’re going to lose a game we’re supposed to win and we’re all going to be mad and write negative things. And we’re going to have another win where we aren’t supposed to win and we’re going to be higher than a kite.

34. maddog12 says:

Way to go Hawks. Did not see it coming…hoped it would. Surprised and happy. Gameball to Okung. Lynch is a game changer. I think the Bears got surprised! Most of us did. PC has finally got them grooving. Let see if we can do it again…we like it.

Okay Cali, time to put up… For those that don’t know, here’s a little back story:

CaliSeahawker says:
    OCTOBER 14, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
    “OK, if the Seahawks win Sunday, I promise to mow the lawn in my wife’s lingerie and I’ll post a photo just so you know I am not full of crap. The Seahawks have trained me to never ever get my hopes up. I bet none of you would believe me if I told you I was 100% certain we would lose to Denver, and St. Louis.

Heck, I am 100% certain we will lose to Oakland, yet I keep hearing that we have some easy road victories left on the schedule. That all being said, if the Hawks win I will be so thrilled, and will gladly mow the freaking lawn in my wife’s lingerie, with the Seahawks game MVP # marked in BLUE ink on my extremely hair back”

Lol, we all can’t wait, even if we go blind as a result.

36. Did Matt Millen get a bad wrap?

I have heard the Joey Harrington pick wasn’t his. The Ford’s told him that he was picking Harrington.

I know he gets made fun of for drafting 3 WR in the first round, but think of it this way:

Calvin Johnson is close to being the best WR in the NFL. Can’t make fun of a GM for making a pick like this.

Mike Williams is making Millen look not so dumb if he continues to do well.

And how can Lion fans be mad about Roy Williams? They use one #1 pick on him, but they traded him to Dallas for two #1 picks. That’s not a bad thing either.

37. 1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

— NO. I predicted a blowout by Chicago. I did not believe we would win on the road this year.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

— Perfect compliment to Forsett.

— No. I was surprised he only got one TD.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

— RUSSELL OKUNG. He handled Peppers like a prol He handled pass pro by himself with very little help from TEs after the first quarter. He changes the options for Jeremy Bate’s offensive alignments. Two-TE Power Offense, Here We Come!

— Yes. I thought our offense could play this way by the end of the season, but not yet. I though Okung would take awhile to develop. I now see a multi-faceted offense developing over the next few weeks.

I also see Hasselbeck performing a lot better now that he has Okung protecting his blind side, and now that he has a dangerous running back. If we stay healthy, we will win our division.

38. Good move, Dukeshire, to dig up CaliSeahawker’s bet. I predicted a Chicago win too, but at least I wasn’t an idiot. ;)

39. CALLISEAHAWK…oh calliseahawk
    When is the photo op?
    Love to see along with a few others here

1) I called the win last week then again the other day when calli said we’d get whooped 40-12 or something
    2) Lynch was much better than I thought. Really thought the O line was killing the RB’s, but Lynch is the real deal made a lot of plays where he had no blocking. Still the O line needs to get better, they had flashes today, time will help and having the same guys in will help too.
    3) Hester is awesomme, but our special team on that side of the ball needs to learn to tackle and stay in their lanes. A penalty saved our bacon on an earlier return which could have changed the entire momentum of the game.
    4) Expectations are always high, always expect the boys in Blue to win, but realistically till we have some consistent play in all aspects of the game we will most likely be 8-8 hoping for 9 or 10 and believe it is still possible if things come together, still early in the season and a lot of games and time to improve.
    The Rams are appearing to be Real so far so when they come to Qwest we won’t overlook them like I feel they did the other day.
    Okung made some mistakes but he’s learning and did not get totally schooled by peppers all day, had a couple of lessons but he’s coming along.
    Just waiting for the Hawks to say no mo ZBS and get back to man on man smash mouth football, not the cheap shot hit them low blocking scheme.

Bobby – He was awful by any and every measure. He was GM for 7 years and the team lost at least 9 games every year. Only 3 of his 7 first rounders are still on the team. Seattle has road issues? They went 3 full seasons before they got a road win under him. Bad rap? Perhaps the most inept GM in NFL history. Lol

41. How come nighthawk rarely comes onto the blog after a win?

Where’s pabs? We’re all supposed to be happy today!

I’m happy! Mr. Happy is happy. Maybe the only other guy who isn’t happy is CalliSeahawk.

I still don’t believe Okung will ever be close to Big Walt, but my expectations for him have grown. He was great today and he wasn’t great against some joe-schmo either. If you’re going to be great, you’ve gotta be great against other great players and that’s exactly what Big Russ did in his first ever “real” NFL start (4 qtrs). Now, we simply need to draft him a LG and those two can develop continuity and play side-by-side for a decade and convert 3rd and 1 situations for a long time together.

42. BobbyAyala says:

Great win. Especially since I predicted it.

Marshawn makes everyone better.

The defense was BEASTLY.

Anyone else notice that Earl Thomas nearly had three picks today?

Great gameplan.

Better execution.

Even the old man flashed a bit.

Well done.

Now beat the ever-loving snot out of Arizona.

43. Duke – come on, humor me:) It’s a happy day. Yes. He sucked. But I wanted to do something nice for someone since I’m in a good mood.

44. Yeah. I made a comment to Duke about him missing Brian Russell. For those of you who don’t frequent the blog, Brian Russell is one of Duke’s favorite Seahawks of all time! lol

But, yeah, all of a sudden there were several times where Earl Thomas flashed into the screan and I was like “where the heck did he come from?” and he was there. Russell would have still been his “smart” self about 15 yards away from the play. Most other safetys would be about 10 yards away.

Good stuff!

45. For the record, I don’t think Duke has ever hated a Seahawk more than Russell!

46. “Now, we simply need to draft him a LG and those two can develop continuity and play side-by-side for a decade and convert 3rd and 1 situations for a long time together.”

That’s a good call – run blocking is still an issue. As someone else mentioned, part of what Lynch did very well today was avoid losses on hits behing the line.

And runs like Lynch’s TD run definitely set a tone. His contributions today were much bigger than his stats.

47. I forgot to iterate how 100+ yds against the Bears’ D was huge too. Don’t remember Urlacher’s name being called nor Peppers. Lynch ran right through 3 tackles for the TD, but that first one was Peppers’ arm… I can’t wait to see what they might do against a mediocre run D.

Again, the fact that Okung did so well, often on his own, was a real surprise. I thought that was going to be the Achilles heal. Hope he can stay healthy and continue to develop.

Hasselbeck did real well today, despite so many dropped balls. Nice to see–and without an INT! Tate needs to spray his hands with Stick’em and learn which way to run during return…

48. “Anyone else notice that Earl Thomas nearly had three picks today?”

Definitely. What a great pick he was – i love having the fastest guy on the field backing everything up – doesn’t feel like anyone will be getting behind him this year.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/10/17/seahawks-23-bears-20-postgame-kool-aid-party/comment-page-1/#comment-97247#ixzz12efPwUGH

49. BobbyAyala says:

Great thing about Lynch is he makes Forsett more effective as a change of pace.

When Carroll was at his best he had Bush and White.

Thunder and lightening, it’s a bitch for linebackers.

The best part about an effective run game is the fact that it opens up so many more opportunities in the passing game.

Mike Williams was open all day long.

Lynch is going to be infectious for that offense, and, frankly, the defense is already playoff caliber.

BobbyK – Nothin’ doin’.

51. ljarllrajl says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?
    A: I’ll say yes since I took them in my pick em leagues and a side bet and I almost took them in my suicide pool. just a feeling about Cutler coming back after concussion.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?
    A: Same hard runner I’d thought we’d get. Dirty yards that we need.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?
    A: a team effort like this you got to give to the leaders on the field: Hasselbeck, Tatupu, and Lewis.

A: No Change. 7-9 NFC WEST DIVISION CHAMPS BABY!

52. BobbyAyala says:

We also need to heap a hearty helping of praise on two young defensive backs, Roy Lewis and Walter Thurmond.

Lewis is amazing on special teams, and I thought that phantom PI call was outstanding coverage.

Thurmond has a really long wingspan, which I hadn’t noticed before, and when Jennings went out, the Bears really didn’t do much of anything on the rook.

The big play of the day went to Knox with Trufant in coverage.

Kudos to Thurmond and Lewis, and the entire Special Teams unit.

When you’re Special Teams is truly special, it makes a huge impact.

Can’t say enough about the win, you really can’t.

The Seahawks ALWAYS suck coming off the bye.

The Seahawks ALWAYS suck in 10 a.m. games.

The Seahawks ALWAYS suck on the road in general.

All of that squashed with one dominating performance.

I said it last week, this had the potential to be Pete Carroll’s signature win, meaning that afterward, he would finally put his stamp on this franchise.

With one win so many demons were cast aside, and all of a sudden, this team should have every confidence in the world that they are postseason-bound.

53. ljarllrajl says:

#3: No, Devin Hester returning a punt for a touchdown doesn’t surprise me. Jon Ryan’s poor kick that allowed him to return it did surprise me a bit since it was crunch time.

54. Yeah, would have been nice for Thomas to get another, who was tied for 2nd in NFL for INTs even after a BYE week. That dude is ALWAYS flying around the ball and often come out of nowhere.

Thurmond did get burned right after coming in for Jennings, but some folks also got in his way trying to get to his guy. He ended up 2nd in tackles with 2 really nice PDs. Hopefully he’ll grow with experience.

I liked seeing Chancellor in there too. I don’t see any stats for him, but I’d also love for him to gain some experience as I love what he could eventually bring with his freakish size and athleticism. Mays who?

55. I loved it!! Wow – that safety was so big. Without it, a 2point conversion on their last td would have tied the game. Every drop Carlson had all day was forgiven when he recovered the onside kick! Okung amazing. Lawyer – what a great veteran presence.
    Didn’t know how I felt about Pete but I’m liking him a lot today.
    Been sick this week but win the best medicine. Now can’t wait for next Sunday.

Yes, Russell was a special player… Maybe a certain LT drafted in the first round in ’92 is a real close second.

Anyway, yeah, Thomas has his hands on the ball a couple times. He’s going to be so good I’m a huge fan already.

57. seahawk44 says:

I don’t post much anymore, but a win like this game 5 has an inspirational feel like it did in ’05 before the Seahawks went on an 11-0 run.

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? >> YES! well, I was on the believing side completely after reading this post from BobbyAyala says:October 15, 2010 at 10:03 am “This is a karma game, folks.There’s just something in the air about this one.Remember in 2006, when we headed into Chicago and got our asses handed to us?That was the loss that signaled the beginning of the end.This will be the win that signals the beginning of the beginning. Carroll’s signature win. I feel it in my bones.”

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? >>> Exactly as Dukeshire just said “The entire offense and game plan has changed. HARD runner that never gives up on a play. Some of his best runs were just to get back to the line. VERY impressed.”

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? >>>No, it always seems like the games the Seahawks dominate, that the opposing team always keeps the score closer than it should be.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? OKUNG … after his direct hit/block/skirmish against Urlacher on the Forsett TD … the game changed, Many other candidates The coaching staff deserves a big nod.

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win? >>> I am very optimistic after this game. All 3 phases of the game played well on the road. Division and Playoffs!

seahawk44 – I’m glad you posted that from BobbyA. He did indeed call it. A lot of us were hedging but he stepped up and pegged it. He’s “booked” a lot of predictions that have not exactly worked out, but he was spot on here. Nice.

59. Yep, BobbyAyala called it…

BTW, ex Mariner, a fan, or coincidence? Have wondered a while…

60. Okung was great! I loved how he pushed his man into the end zone on the TD run. Peppers was neutralized.

Great win. Not flukey. Meat and potatoes win.

61. SandpointHawk says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

No, I was very worried. My bar bud gave me 10 points before I took the bet.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

Never give up, changed the whole dynamic of the run game. Great pick up for a 4th.

I think Devin is always capable of breaking one. After the earlier call back I was amazed Ryan kicked to him. That being said I could never punt worth a damn so I’m very forgiving due to the final outcome.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

King O’Kung. I was extremely worried about his footwork coming in. The high ankle sprain didn’t make me any more confident with his feet. However he showed me some dirtbag today… Hass for his management played some smart football, Lawyer for his will to win and motor, Thomas who was in the area so often. Lofu for his management of the defense, Carrol and his staff for the game plan…how many game balls do you have?

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win.

Nope I could not believe in 2005, and I won’t now…don’t want to jinx my boys…

Disclaimer: The piano has been drinking …not me

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/10/17/seahawks-23-bears-20-postgame-kool-aid-party/#comments#ixzz12elxrlyj

62. CaliSeahawker says:

Hey guys,

What a game! I wish I could say that I watched it, but I have been on call all weekend. I have a very busy schedule however, I promised you all I was not full of crap, and I’ll post a picture to prove it. How do I attach photos to a comment? If anyone has a suggestion let me know, but for the next 24-72 hours I will enjoy this very very awesome victory.

Anyone nervous about Arizona? I am 90% confident we win next week even though Arizona has had two weeks to prepare for us.

Hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am!

63. SandpointHawk says:

Good man Cali…Eric we need a photo from Cali posted how can we do that?
    By the way Arizona is toast…Book it.

64. Went for a nice long walk in a breezy night after this win, smiling all over. This win was just what we needed, and it’s funny to read this blog, people on here are just as Jekyll and Hyde as the team, lol. I must say I was impressed with this team today, but this means close to nothing if the guys can’t follow up on this and keep winning or at least staying competitive. Matt looked almost like his “super bowl season self” and why? Because we were able to threat with the run, Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett will be fun to follow in the future, both are young and have a lot left in the tank. The defense is for real, and so is Okung.

I spend most of my time watching Okung against Peppers, and I’m impressed. The way he handled him, in his first “real start” was quite amazing to watch, he made very few mistakes and Peppers might be the best defensive end in the league right now. The team still have a long way to go, I need to see some consistency, but at least we don’t SUCK on a consistent level anymore! I’ve been sipping on the Carroll Kool-Aid since day 1, and what him and Scheider have done through the draft, free agency and trades is quite impressive, if this was a New York time or something those two would be a popular topic.

Cali – Good man, indeed. I’m sure Eric will be able to set you up.

Arizona – Look past no one, but they are in serious trouble, IMO.

66. To play that well defensively without Mebane is very impressive.

If Carlson can consistently make tough catches, this offense could really take off. He’s a good, solid player, don’t get me wrong. But he’s one step away from being on the cusp of the best TEs and that’s the fact that he needs to make those catches that not all make, but the great ones do.

Most TEs wouldn’t be able to put themselves in position to make that “catch” for a possible TD today or the one in Denver (there have been others the last two years as well) but it really doesn’t do any good if you’re not going to make most of those receptions that could change games.

The OL still scares me, but it’s nice knowing we have a rock at LT that we aren’t going to have to worry about much moving forward. I know they didn’t give up a sack, but our running game gained some yards in spite of the OL, not because of them.

67. I think that everybody should be calling the AFCwest the worst division in football now.. Raiders, SD getting beat up by the NFC west..

Balmer (and Brock too) both played a very solid game.

69. On a totally different note. T.J, Yates played another great game for the Tar Heels this weekend.

70. bird_spit says:

Cali, Cali, Cali !

Yates was 17/22 for 325 and 3 TDs. Did see the game though.

72. bird_spit says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?
    I predicted 17-10 Hawks. I’ll take the win regardless.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?
    He is who we thought he was…

I am surprised that Ryan kicked it his way.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

The defensive blitz packages won this game. Give the ball to the D and its coaches. Okung, and Williams on the offense.

I’m thinking my 8-8 prediction is at risk, but with Stokely and Lynch we could go 9-7 or better.

73. 1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?
    No; When was the last time that the Seahawks won on the road, in the early game, against a non-NFC West opponent?

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?
    He runs hard and does not dance around in the backfield. On about 10 of his carries, he should have been stopped for a loss. But he plowed forward and gained positive yardage. I think he will be a huge asset for the offense.

No; This guy has made a name for himself in the return game. I am surprised that Ryan didn’t kick the ball out of bounds.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?
    Lawyer Milloy. He is an old-timer, and he played a great game. He pressured the QB and made a couple of really nice open field tackles. He and Thomas are becoming a good safety combination.

Certain things remain the same: on the road, you have a significantly higher chance to win the game when you win the turnover battle. The O-line protected the QB better (although they still struggled to open running lanes). They pressured the QB. Now they know what they are capable of doing on the road and it should be easier to (mentally) repeat it. I think that 8-8 is very possible, and if we can beat Arizona next week and take care of the Rams at home then we are in the driver’s seat for the division.

One additional note: there should not be ONE SINGLE FAN that posts anything negative about the roster moves and philosophy of Carroll and Schneider. These guys HAD to make a bunch of moves, HAD to shake up the roster, in order to break the culture of losing that has been prevalent with this team for the past few seasons.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/10/17/seahawks-23-bears-20-postgame-kool-aid-party/#comments#ixzz12fJV8nK1

74. 1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

He looked real good in Q1, but his total yards (44) & avg (2.6) were pretty disappointing.

A little. Very concerned about Ryan’s health.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why?

Okung. His 1st full game & neutralized Peppers. LOOKS like we drafted a big time winner.

It appears the team is quite a bit better then I thought. Next week against AZ at home is huge.

75. Wow! Never had given up hope we could win, but really didn’t expect us to get there…. For me, seeing some continuity in our offense was key for next week’s game… Lots of hero’s on the offensive side, and it has been such a knife in our side up to today……. Special teams had probably the worst day of play to date, but ‘they’ were carried…… a nice switch, if it has to happen at all…. Reminds us how ‘special’ the special teams are… and how important…. Take away a few penalties/long plays Chicago had, and we actually crushed them overall…. in THEIR HOUSE! Coaching and players all get game balls for this upset… remember, we were coming off that dreaded ‘BYE” week also! All historically stacked against us…. Coaches & Players = Thumbs up!

76. bulldog80 says:

mocarob, I was thinking exactly the same thing after Sand Diego got toasted by the Rams today. The AFC West is, in fact, the worst division in football.

Man I’m loving this team more and more each week. Love what this staff is doing with the team. We should be going into every week expecting to win, not hoping for it.

77. ruminator1 says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming?

not really. i hoped it might be competitive, but i thought chicago would win. just before kickoff, i found myself admitting that i liked their chances and that maybe they could win, but that had a lot to do with their attitude before the game.

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks?

just fantastic. he changes the whole offense and heads for contact. he never stops and some of the shorter runs were something we haven’t had here, at least not in a long long time. i actually don’t think we ever had that style of runner, but maybe someone else can think of one or two

i do not think Ryan was attempting to kick to him. he was great all day with placement. he angled left but not far enough left. hester one of the best and i remember screaming, why? why not kick it out of bounds 35 yds even?

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? too many candidates really. this was a team effort and to me the best team effort of the season. dominating run defense, decent mostly in pass defense, offense very consistent. very impressed with the running back tandem, the work of okung, the pass rush, the hard tackling. i would choose lynch i think because he set the tone. i think hass was quite good and definitely benefitted from having a running game. receivers very good too in spite of drops.

this was a very good win. all of a sudden a bad division is turning into a pretty decent division. we can play with any team in the division and so we CAN win it and get into playoffs. i also believe that we can be competitive with just about any team in the NFL if we do not fall far behind early.

78. surelyyoujest says:

Very solid road performance. I was a little surprised they got the Win, but was hoping they would compete….which they certainly did. Okung was left alone many times and stoned Peppers every time I saw the two of them locked up. He did miss an assignment early in the game (looked like he tried to do too much and wiffed on the outside rusher) but was otherwise solid. He definately is a road grader when run blocking.

It was already mentioned, but I’ll mention it again. John Carlson has to stop dropping passes.

I hope we can put another solid showing in next week against Az. I still expect this team to be a little bipolar this year, but if they surprise me and find some consistency in October I’ll be delighted.

79. JohnnyBGood says:

I’ve seen this coming and said so in numerous forums. I could see after the loss to Denver that this team has the talent and the problems were all in fixable areas, except the Dline pass rush and a fast, powerful RB. In the first offensive play of the game, Lynch changed all that. A running play to the outside. He speeded it out for a twelve yard gain. Huge. We haven’t seen that around here for years. Surely the Bear D made an adjustment after that that opened up the rest of the offense. Huge.

We can also see now that Hasselbeck obviously still has what it takes. The problems he has been having have been just like the team has been saying – due to the entire offense. Put more together, give them some continuity in the next few games and it will be more obvious: He hasn’t lost ANYTHING.

And yeah, I’ve been calling it since after the Denver game: This team is going to the playoffs.

80. martygivens says:

Since I live in Chicago I was able to see the game in person which was nice since it was a gorgeous day in Chicago. I was expecting to see the Seahawks get creamed as they were on the road and playing an “early game” and all know they suck in that situation.

My expectations were right on the mark early as the Bears scored before I could get to my seat.

After that quick score the Hawks looked really good. Matt was pretty sharp save for a few throws he shouldn’t have made and he got a few gifts from the refs on passes that were either grounding or in one case what appeared to be a fumble.

Forsett and Lynch seem to be a good combo as they are nothing alike in style, I look forward to seeing them together the rest of the season.

The recievers did a nice job all day.

The run defense was great and the Bears gave up on the run pretty early. The pass defense was bad, guys were wide open on just about every play, and even though they sacked Cutler six times he still had numerous dropbacks where he had 10 seconds or more to find someone. Bears fans around me starting calling him Grossman early on in the game since he kept throwing to the one guy who was covered while ignoring the wide open checkdowns.

The long drive was awesome – something we haven’t seen in a while from the offense.

After the safety I thought the Hawks were in control the rest of the game until that stupid punt – it looked like he punted it to him on purpose to me. The punt started going right and then curved into the middle of the field and as soon as Hester caught it I could tell it was going to come back for a TD. Ryan deserved to get crushed for that craptacular punt.

It was nice seeing the two dozen or so other Hawks fans all high-fiving and smiling to each other after the game. While hearing all the Bears fans bemoan how they lost to the lowly Seahawks.

It was a good road win against a decent defense. If the running game and the pass defense can step it up they Hawks should go to the playoffs.

81. subtlesquire says:

1. Be honest, did you see this win coming? Yes, I thought they had a good chance to steal this one. Can’t wait to see Cali’s photos!

2. What are your thoughts on Marshawn Lynch after seeing him with the Hawks? I love the attitude he runs with. I agree with Stevo. Some of his best runs were to get back to the LOS. Huge upgrade and the combo of Lynch and Forsett is going to be great.

3. Were you the least bit surprised that Devin Hester returned that punt for the touchdown? Not really, he’s good. If you kick it to him, bad things happen.

4. Lots of candidates, but who gets your game ball and why? Game ball to Okung. He maned up against Peppers, but the game ball is for the blocking during Forsett’s touchdown run. Okung used Urlacher as his blade to bulldoze the pile across the goal line.

5. As always, based on the addition of Lynch, the progress of Okung, how have your expectations changed after this win? If we stay reasonably healthy, we will win the NFC West.