Morning links: Okung’s lips are sealed

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 14, 2010 at 8:31 am with 24 Comments »
October 16, 2010 10:42 am
Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung (Joe Barrentine/TNT).

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes about Seattle Seahawks rookie offensive tackle Russell Okung’s anticipated matchup with Chicago defensive end Julius Peppers. Of course, he does so without talking to the Oklahoma State product because of the offensive line’s ongoing policy of not talking to reporters, established when Alex Gibbs was the offensive line coach.

Boling notes that policy is in violation of the NFL media access policy, which states in part: “It is the club’s responsibility to deliver access to all players (during appropriate periods) and it is the player’s responsibility to cooperate. … It is not permissible for any group of players to boycott the media.”

Boling:

Okung was drafted for games like this, although this is a tough “opportunity” for any rookie. The sixth player taken in the draft, he’s a cornerstone player for this franchise and represents a giant commitment to rebuilding an offensive line that has been a jumble of injuries and disappointment in recent seasons.
Carroll assessed Okung at about “90 percent” healthy, and said that “his development is excellent for the time he’s been with us.”

“He’s such a gifted athlete at (tackle),” Carroll said. “His range of movement and quickness and the length that he has, and the wing span that he has – he looks like a special player to us and that’s why we drafted him where we did.”

Carroll said that Okung put his rehab time to good use, and he has learned the offense and benefited from his studies.

Okung politely dodged an interview request, in keeping with the offensive line’s media embargo. It’s a remnant of coach Alex Gibbs’ policy, which has been policed by veteran guard Ben Hamilton since Gibbs quit before the season.

I respected their approach and hadn’t talked to any of them until Wednesday, when Okung stood out as the most relevant story of the week for the Seahawks. Readers don’t care about media relations, so I divert here only to explain why a column on Russell Okung has no quotes from Russell Okung.

Receiver Deon Butler says it’s quieter in the meeting room with veterans Nate Burleson, T.J Houshmandzadeh and Deion Branch gone, but he’s looking forward to the opportunity for more playing time now that he’s the starting flanker.

Greg Johns of Seattlepi.com talks to running back Marshawn Lynch, who says he feels like a rookie all over again.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com offers these pictures from practice.

According to Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Time-Picayune, former Seahawks running back Julius Jones is pleased to be in New Orleans.

Receiver Brandon Stokley joins KJR’s Mike Gastineau in this audio link.

Seahawks tight end John Carlson has his first child with wife Danielle, a boy named William Daniel Carlson.

Chicago Bears

Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune writes that placing tackle Chris Williams at left guard as he returns from an injury will cause the least disruption for the Bears offensive line. Free agent pickup Frank Omiyale remains at left tackle.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post provides an inside look at Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s playbook.

David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune writes that Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is back to normal after sitting out of last week’s game with a concussion.

Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that even though the Bears are 4-1, they are still a work in progress.

St. Louis Rams

Bill Coats of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports rookie receiver Danario Alexander was signed off the Rams practice squad to the team’s active roster after Mark Clayton went down with a season-ending knee injury, and says he’s ready to contribute.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo is not fooled by the San Diego Chargers 2-3 record.

This very early look at the NFL playoff bracket by Yahoo Sports’ Shutdown Corner predicts the St. Louis Rams will win the NFC West.

San Francisco 49ers

David White of the San Francisco Chronicle says former head coach Tony Dungy has offered current Niners head coach Mike Singletary some simple advice – Be yourself.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com says former Niners quarterback Shaun Hill is pleased to be in Detroit instead of San Francisco. “It’s a mess out there,” Hill says.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports says a playoff berth may not be enough for Singletary to keep his job.

Arizona Cardinals

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says the Cardinals defense needs to play the same way they did in a win over New Orleans in two weeks against Seattle.

More Somers: The Cardinals expect to get veterans nside linebacker Gerald Hayes and receivers Steve Breaston and Early Doucet back for the Seahawks in two weeks.

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com says the Cardinals have put their faith in 25-year-old rookie quarterback Max Hall.

Morning links
  1. We’re definitely going to see what he’s made of this Sunday. It’s certainly no easy task. If he gets owned, it’s not the end of the world with respect to his career. But if he holds his own, odds are that he’s going to be special.

2. Yeah, I would agree Bobby. This week’s game in Chicago is not the end of the world. I expect our whole O line to get owned. Chicago’s D is that good.

But our line will get better, if they stay healthy, with every week. We might even have Pitts at G next to Okung for our next home came against AZ. We’ve been waiting a long time for new talented O linemen like these. These boys are going to be a great story to watch as they develop week-by-week!

3. I picked up the Chicago Defense in my fantasy league… I hate myself a little, but I need the win to stay competitive. Also may pick up Hopehurst….

I think Peppers gets 3 or more sacks, although not necessarily against Okung. Agree, if Okung plays well he’ll be very good.

4. snydro22 says:

Seems like if they are legitimately breaking the rules, filing a complaint through the appropriate channels would be a better solution.

Honestly, I think it’s cool that they aren’t talking to reporters. If they are doing it as a tribute to Gibbs or to show solidarity amongst the line, then more power to them. We need all the help we can get up front. Whatever works for them..

What are we really going to learn from them anyway? Players quotes are basically only good for backing things up. 10 times out of 10 they shed light on nothing, unless there is a trade or scandal involved..

Here’s the quotes we all missed out on:

“Peppers is a great player, it’s going to be a challenge. I’m looking forward to it though.”

“I’m about 90%. I’ll be good to go. I’m excited to get back out there.”

5. CaliSeahawker says:

31 point loss. Book That. ;)

I agree with Snydro. If that helps this unit maintain a solidarity that improves their chemistry, then good for them.

Of course this isn’t an “end of the world” game. This is exactly the kind of game that is a perfect measuring stick, however. They have no right winning this game, on paper, but fortunately the games are played on the field. But I think a reasonable way to measure this game will be specific matchups; the ‘Hawks pass rush vs a weak Bears line. Seattle’s front 7s ability to contain Forte, running and the screen. As was mentioned before, Okung’s effectiveness, Thomas’ play over the middle vs a very goof TE, etc… Whether they win or lose the game, at this stage of their rebuilding, is not as important to me as winning the position battles they should win. That is, the Bears are a more complete team, at this point but let’s see the improvement in the “cornerstone” positions that’s necessary to win these games in the future and for years to come. And who knows, if it all breaks right, they might steal one and blow us all away.

7. bird_spit says:

I as well think it is very cool that they don’t speak to the media. Please let the play stand on its own with out the BS. Housh should learn that.

Chicago will be the best training we can provide our OL. I would expect us to run run run, screen pass our way through the day. I will go out on the limb and predict a break through day for the Hawks. Road win with a very low scoring game. SEA wins 14-10.

8. SeahawkFan12 says:

Seahawks win 17-14.

I think its funny that Shaun Hill said “it’s a mess out there”, referring to San Fran…and he’s in Detroit! Must be BAAAAAAAD in SF.

9. longco44 says:

I PREDICT 13-3 BEARS.

10. The defense will need to win the game for us (which is why they are starting for my fantasy team). Cutler is known as a bit of a wild thrower, making some bad decisions and their O-line broke down against Giants, so I have at least some hope, although I fear being us run over.

11. CaliSeahawker says:

SEA 12 CHI 45

12. I am just looking for us to be competitive for more than 15 minutes of the game.

at Denver we played great for 2 posession on both sides of the ball and gave up after that.

The Offense needs to move the ball a little on every posession. and the Defense needs to actually get off the field when they generate a 3rd and long.

I am really tired about the offense getting the blame for the D getting “tired” in the 2nd half. if they did their jobs early in the game they wouldn’t be on the field so much anyway. then hopefully the offense could start to develop some rhythm with a few more chances.

and if they don’t I am slowly getting to the point that I think we need to make a change just for the sake of change. do something to shake up the ranks.

13. Cali maybe you should stick to your 40 whiners
    oh yea THEY SUCK so does throwing a lil mud here make you feel better

Seattle 12 not a likely score in any NFL Game
    Hawks will WIN SUNDAY!!!

This isn’t the Superbowl Bears of old, this Bears O is not good, but had a good game against 0-5 carolina to pad their stats, their D is good, but their sack total is skewed due to the Giants 6 sack performance.

I aggree with Duke on this game as measuring stick to where we actually are.

Okung will definately learn where he is in terms his development.
    Hoping he exceeds our expectations and learns from a couple of early game lessons from Peppers and has a strong game.

14. CaliSeahawker says:

Right sided visual neglect? The full name is CaliSeahawker, and I have been a fan since 1995. They have proven for many many years (exception 2005) that they are pathetic on the road. I can not agree that this road game is going to be any sort of measuring stick, because we already know where this team is right now. This team is horrible, and can not score more than 3 points vs a Rams team on the road. I doubt they win more than 1 road game all year, but I would absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong!

As for the 49ers, I absolutely hate the franchise, and am thrilled they are crashing and burning this year.

I am hoping I look like a total fool, and Hasselbeck and Co. score 12 x 4 points, but I can not sit here and optimistic when the Seahawks in 15 years have given me reason to be pessimistic for every road game. Everytime we say, “oh we got this” they just find a way to lay a freaking egg (See @ Denver, and @ St. Louis this year, as well as practically every ‘easy’ road game the past 8 years).

Lastly, if the Hawks do win Sunday I will be first to anoint you King of TNT

15. bird_spit says:

Cali –
    I think it would be much better that if seahawks win, you cut the lawn in your wife’s best panties with #8 painted on your chest and back.

Then we are all good. LOL.

16. CaliSeahawker says:

OK, if the Seahawks win Sunday, I promise to mow the lawn in my wife’s lingerie and I’ll post a photo just so you know I am not full of crap. The Seahawks have trained me to never ever get my hopes up. I bet none of you would believe me if I told you I was 100% certain we would lose to Denver, and St. Louis.

Heck, I am 100% certain we will lose to Oakland, yet I keep hearing that we have some easy road victories left on the schedule. That all being said, if the Hawks win I will be so thrilled, and will gladly mow the freaking lawn in my wife’s lingerie, with the Seahawks game MVP # marked in BLUE ink on my extremely hair back ;)

Okay Cali, it’s been booked!

18. Cali,
    My Apologies,
    Any one that would do that is a fan and 1/2
    Lets just hope you have to follow through on it

19. variable575 says:

Lol. Classic work Cali.Ibadan no optimism last yr Cali and was making the same claims as u. However, I haven’t seen enough this yr to say we can’t win on the rd this week. I will be pissed though if I see another fake field gaol that fails and changes the momentum so drastically.

20. “That all being said, if the Hawks win I will be so thrilled, and will gladly mow the freaking lawn in my wife’s lingerie, with the Seahawks game MVP # marked in BLUE ink on my extremely hair back”

I’ll be damned if that’s not the best post of the 2010 season . . . Go Hawks!

21. variable575 says:

Sorry for typos. Thanks for being so small iPod!

22. bird_spit says:

Yeah pdway, Cali brought a tear to my eye (I can only imagine how this could turn out).

BTW, L Briggs is out as of now. I see our run game getting ready to roll. RG andrews will be a busy man.

I would love to see an I formation with RB Forsett and FB Lynch all day. Hass would have plenty of options of PA dumping off to Williams and our TEs.

23. subtlesquire says:

Way to man up, Cali. Can’t wait to see the photos.

24. fenderdb says:

“No one’s ever made the first jump.” -Apoc