Lovie Smith on Hawks: ‘We’ll have our hands full’

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:17 am with 29 Comments »
October 13, 2010 11:17 am
Chicago Bears quarterback Lovie Smith (AP Photo/Kathy Willens).

We talked with Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith and quarterback Jay Cutler this morning. Cutler said he’s been cleared to play and will practice this afternoon.

Smith said he’s familiar with the Seahawks from facing them last year, and praised quarterback Matt Hasselbeck from the times the two teams have met in the past.

“For the most part it’s the same personnel, we realize that,” Smith said. “I know they’ve changed at the wide receiver position. Mike Williams is of course now is one of the guys playing good football. We’re familiar with him.
And of course Golden Tate, how can you not be impressed with what he can do on the offensive side of the ball. I know they’re going through a few changes on the offensive line with injuries and things like that.

“On the defensive side, up front you know the guys are going to play hard. We’re familiar with the scheme. Lofa is an excellent football player, as is Curry. I’ve known Trufant for a long time and watched him play, so we’ll have our hands full.”

Listen to part of the conversation with Smith here.

[wpaudio url="http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/files/2010/10/LovieSmith.mp3" text=MP3: Lovie Smith on Hawks"]

Cutler also was impressed by Seattle’s defense.

“Their linebacker crew is very good,” Cutler said. “They’ve got that safety (Earl Thomas), and he’s playing all over the ball and making plays. They’re taking some chances, playing a lot of Cover 1 and blitzing a little more. So they’re a very active defense, and they’re going to attack you and make you beat them.”

Smith praised Chicago defensive end Julius Peppers as an impact player who frees up other players on his team with his overall play.

“He’s just the ultimate pro,” Smith said. “He’s a special football player. Most people judge defensive ends by whether they can rush the passer. He can rush the passer with speed or power. He plays the run just as well. A complete player.”

Asked if Peppers would flop sides against Seattle, Smith joked, “Do you want me to go over the game plan with you? .. I’ll just say he probably won’t play the nose position. And I’m not really sure he couldn’t play safety if you asked him to. He’s just that kind of athlete.”

Cutler also talked about seeing his former quarterbacks coach in Denver in Jeremy Bates on Sunday. Bates turned down a chance to work with Cutler in Chicago as the offensive coordinator for a similar job in Seattle instead. So Ben Bowman of NBC Chicago sees Sunday’s contest a chance for Cutler to stick it to Bates, which brought a chuckle out of the otherwise monotone Cutler.

“No, I’m not playing against Jeremy,” Cutler said. “I don’t play defense and he’s not the defensive coordinator, so I don’t think we’re really going to be crossing paths out there.”

Cutler did have some nice things to say about his former coach.

“He was a good coach,” Cutler said. “High energy. Creative. Kind of everything you want in an offensive coordinator.”

1. IdahoHawk says:

I dont think lovie has been watching the same Seahawks I have been.

2. Off-topic- but who is looking like our starting 5 on the O-line this Sunday?

Is Pitts going to start?

I have been wondering about that as well. I imagine Okung will start, actually. My guess is; Okung, Hamilton, Spencer, Andrews, Lock. It’s just hard for me to imagine they’d start Pitts at tackle with that knee (where he practiced Monday). If it’s not Okung, I’d prefer Polumbus. If Pitts starts, I’d presume it would be at LG.

One match up that Seattle has the advantage is d line vs their o line. Much like their d line vs the ‘Hawks o line. That line has had trouble opening holes for Forte and given up a ton of sacks (including 9 against the Giants alone). I would expect Clemons, Bryant and Curry to have very active games, much like the first half of the Charger game. Similar to Rivers, Cutler takes a deeper drop and with that line’s issues, should cater to the Seahawk’s strengths.

4. I guess Lovie doesn’t realize that the Seahawks have lost their last 9 non-divisional road games started by “The Greatest Seahawks QB ever” by an average of 26 points per game?

5. A little more on that stat, it appears the closest the Seahawks have been on the road in that stretch under Hasselbeck was at Denver a few weeks ago when they lost by “only” 17 points.

I excluded the 3 games Wallace started on the road against non-divisional opponents since 2008. He lost by an average of 9.7 points. Two of the teams won division or conference titles and the third team finished with a winning record.

He also thinks that “For the most part it’s the same personnel, we realize that,”. No, you FAIL to realize that. At most 4 (Hass, Carlson, Spencer and maybe Lock) starters are the same. (Forsett, Butler and Obo being the only other holdovers on offense). They are very different , personnel wise, from what the Bears have seen before.

7. “and given up a ton of sacks (including 9 against the Giants alone). I would expect Clemons, Bryant and Curry to have very active games, much like the first half of the Charger game.”

I watched a chunk of the Bears-Cowboys game too – and Cutler was getting killed (I know we don’t have Ware/Spencer) . . hoping Curry’s hamstring is fully healed and back to where he was against SD.

My expectations are fairly low for this game – but will be fun to see Lynch get some carries, and hopefully our D keeps us in it.

8. Historically a good home Seahawks pass rush has NOT translated to the road very well. If they can do this even against a poor Bears OL, then they really will have turned a corner.

9. Even though the probability of losing is significant, I’d really like to see us settle down and play a competitive game…. obviously, mostly from the offensive side of the ball….

10. omega629 says:

The seahawks this year are as over-rated as Shawn Alexander was.

Agreed. But if the Lions can get to Cutler 4 times in Chicago, I see no reason Seattle won’t have Cutler picking himself off the turf multiple times.

12. “Historically a good home Seahawks pass rush has NOT translated to the road very well.”

Yeah, that’s true. Is it just the crowd noise factor? Seems like the lack of that shouldn’t sink a pass rush completely – but you’re right – and lack of a pass rush always kills us (everyone), esp on 3rd downs.

pdway – You mean the Giants. Cutler had his best game of the season against the ‘Boys and went virtually untouched.

14. Did pabs just mention that the Seahawks have problems on the road?

lol

15. I should do a Rick Mirer vs Matt Hasselbeck road comparison for you BobbyK. I think you would be shocked how close these 2 really are in that respect.

Yes, Rick Mirer’s Seahawks were very close to the Matt Haselbeck Seahawks… I’d be happy to counter point the relative success the team had under those two respective QBs. So by all means…

17. CaliSeahawker says:

31 point loss. Book it.

Book it? I believe you now owe BobbyA a royalty for using his patented phrase for so many of his famously incorrect predictions. lol

19. You got it Duke! Book it! LOL!

20. CaliSeahawker says:

Hey now, new kid on the block, so I had NO idea there were patented catch phrases. If that is the case, let me retract my previous statement and lay claim to my own personal phrase: Seahawks on the road? It’s so easy (to kick their asses) even a bunch of caveman could do it. Book it! :-)

Lol. Only teasing. BobbyAyala was “booking” a lot of things around the time of the draft. Let’s just say, not many of them happened.

22. Stats can say a lot of things and I’m sure some stats can claim that Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp, Dan McGwire, and Rick Mirer were right up there with Matt Hasselbeck in some regards, but for many people who use common sense, it’s easy to tell who our best QB has been in franchise history.

23. BobbyK… that would be Zorn, right??? hee hee…

24. I was thinking Seneca Wallace or John Friesz. :)

25. IdahoHawk says:

You guys s?hut the hell up. (Bad memories Mcgwire,Mirer). I think eric should do a poll twice a week from now to the rest of the season. Voting the best Seahawks of all time at their position.

26. CaliSeahawker says:

Can someone FREAKING tell me how John Schneider, with the same type of pick, obtains a guy like Marshawn Lynch, while RUSKELL (I seriously want to punch him out) drafts a long freaking snapper with a sh*t back who is out of the league? Man I can go on and on about Ruskell’s amazing ability to destroy a once dominant franchise. SAD!

27. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

AGREED Cali Seahawker, Ruskell DESTROYED our Super Bowl contender team like an idiot!

And is Lovie Smith stupid or something? Aaron Curry is NOT a good football and doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Lofa Tatupu. Its a crime agianst humanity that he’s paid more than Lofa. Curry SUCKS AT EVERYTHING

28. bird_spit says:

Thank the lord that AaronCurryIsBUST is in the house. Last game after all of the lip wagging, Curry had his best game of the season, until injury took him out.

Welcome back..we’ll need Curry to eliminate the run game, and seal his side of the pocket, as Cutler runs bonkers way from Clemons, in order to win this game (14-10).

29. jubabeast says:

Sheesh, if this is how friends talk about us I’d hate to read what the Seahawk enemies are saying. I read an article that stated the Seahawks were the second to most disliked NFL team in the country. The pollesters probably polled only Seahawk fans. Only in Seattle would the rating have been so low.

I’ve also read that people (the Seahawk team?) usually perform at or below expectations. If I was a Seahawk player and read such loving comments as we have here I’m sure I’d want to go out and play my heart out.