Turner on Whitehurst: He can play

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm with 12 Comments »
September 22, 2010 2:00 pm
San Diego head coach Norv Turner (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia).

We had an opportunity to talk to San Diego head coach Norv Turner about his former player, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, along with his thoughts on Seattle.

Turner compared Whitehurst to his time in Washington when he had Trent Green as a backup before he departed to St. Louis to become a starter. Turner says he has all of the physical tools Green had then, and just need an opportunity to play.

“If they have the ability and they can make the plays a certain percentage of the time, then you expect them to improve and make the plays at a higher percentage of the time,” Turner said. “And I think Charlie is capable of doing that.”

Listen to part of our conversation with Turner here.

[wpaudio url="" text=MP3: Turner on Hawks"]

Whitehurst signaled the plays into Philip Rivers when he was in San Diego, and Turner said he believes that process helps the backup learn the game. Turner did the same things with Green when he was in Washington.

“You almost feel like you’re playing,” he said. “It’s a good process. I’m not doing it for them. I was doing it because there’s a lot of other things that I have to be able to do, and it does distance you a little bit, so I liked that process.”

On the compensation San Diego received in return for Trading Whitehurst, swapping second round picks in the 2010 draft along with receiving a third round pick, Turner had this to say: “I know Arizona was involved in trying to get him. It’s two teams in the same division. I think both teams evaluated him from watching him play throughout all the preseason stuff and whatever they had grades on him.

“So I just think my background is if there’s a player you really like and you want to get him, you go do what you have to do to get him. So I wasn’t surprised.”

The Cardinals ended up getting Derek Anderson instead, who’s starting for them after they let Matt Leinart go.

On the Seahawks, Turner said they are playing well defensively.

“They’re certainly playing with a lot of energy obviously defensively,” Turner said. “They’re defending the run extremely well. They’ve a very fast defensive team. They’ve been impressive.”

1. Excluding Moon, Seattle has had only three good QBs in almost 35 years. Let’s hope Whitehurst turns out to be the fourth, but I’m not holding my breath.

Excluding one of their better QBs, they haven’t had many good QBs. lol. You’re right though, there is a much bigger pile of chicken sh*t than chicken salad.

3. Turner isn’t Mora. Even if he thought he sucked, he wouldn’t say so like this. I do like Weirdbeard though and think he’ll be fine.

4. tylakewalker says:

don’t bring to mind those terrible memories of rick mirer and john kitna. I’m depressed now. thanks a lot guys.

5. Kelly Stouffer

Dan McGwire

7. snydro22 says:

I kinda liked Kitna. I had a soft spot for him.

Ironic that God didn’t like him enough to give him more talent though.

8. bird_spit says:

I can second that comment Snydro. There were enough brief moments of excellence in Kitna’s game that made you like the guy.

It is kind of like when your drunk or whatever, and you pick up a physics book and you just get it…but then in the morning your like, now how did that go?

9. SandpointHawk says:

Kitna was very likable, I always knew he was just one play away from putting it all together.

10. piperfeltcher says:

Kitna got derailed by Galloways holdout that year. The 2 of them looked unstoppable to end the season then Galloway holds out to start next season and it all kind of unravelled.

11. nighthawk2 says:

Unfortunately, Whitehurst isn’t going to get that opportunity unless Matturnover Hasselbeck gets injured. Carroll will continue to play this guy until the season is lost, which isn’t too far down the road, and then say “the offense needs a spark”. At least Carroll didn’t pull an Andy Reid though, gush for weeks about how Kolb is the starter and you don’t lose your job to an injury, and the next day put Michael Dogkiller in as the starter and say it doesn’t bother him to be revealed as a two-faced liar.

12. snydro22 says:

Norv Turner’s neck is gross.