Morning links: Hasselbeck still the starter

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 21, 2010 at 8:54 am with 26 Comments »
September 21, 2010 8:54 am

A few links to start your morning

Dave Boling of The News Tribune believes Matt Hasselbeck is still the guy to lead the Seahawks on the field, but Charlie Whitehurst is warming up in the bullpen.

WR Golden Tate is now the team’s starting punt returner after battling through confidence issue in recent weeks.

Greg Johns of Seattlepi.com says Golden Tate’s ability to create big plays has forced the Seahawks to find a way to get him on the field.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at the good and the bad from Sunday’s game.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com has photos up from Denver’s game.

WR Ben Obomanu discusses the Seahawks game with KJR’s Dave “Softy” Mahler in this audio link.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Tribune writes that rookie running back Ryan Mathews, who suffered an ankle injury against Jacksonville, is expected to play on Sunday.

Bruising runner Mike Tolbert actually leads San Diego in rushing. He at 5-9, 245 pounds, he looks a lot like Natrone Means. Check out the video below.

Morning links
  1. Pat_riot says:

Of course he’s still the guy.. there’s no other option.

2. FYI – Well, listening to the radio on my way to work this morning(san fran area), the media here believes that NFC West belongs to farty whinners.

3. I’m optimistic that Seattle can effectively stop any running game now. Which is nice, haven’t been able to say that in a long time. Win the turnover battle and they can win.

I’m taking the points at least, and maybe Seattle outright. They favor SD 5.5 now, wonder if it will hit 7.

4. nighthawk2 says:

Of course there’s another option, we traded a 3rd round pick and moved down 20 spots in the 2nd round for him.

Glad to see Tate will finally get more playing time. Wonder when Forsett will?

I see Braylon Edwards got a DUI and blew twice the legal limit on a breathalyzer. Wonder if that means a suspension?

5. Is there any QB on the roster that can beat a double digit win team (10-6 or better), either on the road or at home? We haven’t enjoyed that type of victory since 2005 and only 7 since 2001. Given that we had 4 alone in 2005, that’s pitiful.

6. bird_spit says:

Any one following the Jets issues with this reporter. I can’t imagine anyone getting in trouble over this..

7. nighthawk2 says:

I think a QB who doesn’t throw interceptions, or throw the ball out of the back of the end zone on a 4th and 2, can beat a double digit win team. Well, if he has a running game, and that would require Pete Carroll to actually commit to playing the best running back on the team, and giving him more than 9 touches a game. So far, Carroll has shown no interest whatsover in establishing a running game.

8. azhawkman says:

@CYRREEN – Yeah I live in Scottsdale so I hear all the Cardinals talk on the radio. It’s amazing how confident they are in themselves after looking like trash 2 weeks in a row. I guess the Niners still look like a better team than the Cards so they may have a little more reason to look forward, plus the schedules are pretty soft throughout the division. I’d still be concerned with Alex Smith back there and a secondary that couldn’t stop the Seahawks or the Saints from marching down the field, even in crunch time.

Not including Hass’s scrambles, they’ve run it 38 times through the first two games. Forsett 15 carries. Jones 12. That’s simply awful.

I don’t see Hass getting the hook before the bye, for good or ill. That’s two more weeks; San Diego and St. Louis. My gut tells me that at that point they’ll evaluate where this team is and more forward accordingly. I could certainly be wrong, if Matt tanks against the Chargers perhaps he doesn’t finish the game. But I think after the bye makes sense.

CYRREEN / azhawkman – Glass houses fellas. We’ve got people on this blog who have the ‘Hawks in the Super Bowl this year. Lol.

11. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

I think there is a bit of a difference.

Seattle fans appear to be taking the tact of “somebody has to win the NFCW, why can’t it be us?” 49rs fans appear to have the idea that they have the Division sewn up even though they are 0-2. (they are the best 0-2 team in the NFL).

12. freedom_X says:

How much different is the Carroll/Bates offense from what Mora/Knapp ran, and before them, Holmgren?

Is it possible some of Hasselbeck’s troubles stem from 3 different sets of coordinators in 3 years? Are we taking his veteran status for granted, assuming he has 100% understanding and synchronization with what these different staffs want?

I think the offenses are somewhat similar, but they aren’t identical. The playbook and at least some terminology has to be quite a bit different.

13. surelyyoujest says:

I don’t know that any of us here would be able to definitively state what Matt’s issues are of late. I think some of it has to do with WR familiarity (2005 he had Bobby Engram and DJack), some of it is 3 schemes in 3 years, and there are likely other factors. QB’s make split second decisions, and you need to be very comfortable with the offense, your WR’s, and yourself to make the right choices and deliver the ball where it needs to be. Until last year he basically had played his whole career in one system, so I expect the transition to different systems (x2) takes some time to become second nature.

I think Matt’s capable. Let him work through the rough spots and see if he can bring himself, and the offense, up to where it needs to be. It’s only game 2, and I didn’t really expect to start seeing the best of this Team until week 7 or 8.

14. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE PROBLEM PEOPLE!!! Matt Hasselbeck is washed up and will never regain his former glory but the real black hole of failure is that bag of crap AARON CURRY!!! TRADE HIM FOR A 3rd rd DRAFT PICK WHILE WE STILL CAN!!! BY THE END OF THIS SEASON HE’LL BE WORTH LESS THAN A 6th rd PICK!!!!

15. Is there a stat that shows how many wins a QB gotten against teams on the road who finished with winning records? I’d be curious as to where everyone ranks and what their records are. Nobody proclaims Matt to be as good as Manning, Brees, Brady, or even a guy like Rapistburger… but what about other guys’ road records against winning teams? And, yes, I know Matt doesn’t have a good road record against teams with winning records. pabuwal has let it be known 394,023,598,001 times on the blog.

16. bird_spit says:

EWalters – If we could find out, I would bet you a boat load of cash that the Niners would rather have Alex S over Clipboard J.

Snydro, – Even the hotties with daddy – issues tend to be Christian, some conservative, and are quite willing to do whatever it takes. Back in the day..oh never mind. A little hint is that the preachers daughter is the best around.

I think Hass needs to remember he can throw it away, or he has legs, and he can run. My gut says, that 4th and 2, had the wrong play called, or the wrong personel.

Snydro may be on to something, maybe all Matt needs is a slump buster. Too bad Eugene Robinson isn’t still on the roster.

18. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE REAL ISSUE!

Dont worry why a 35 year old QB with declining arm strength and a history of injuries is playing so bad. WORRY WHY THE 4TH OVERALL PICK OF THE 2009 DRAFT LOOKS LIKE THE WORST STARTIG DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL DESPITE THE FACT HE WAS TOUTED AS A SAFE PICK!!!

BENCH AARON CURRY! IT WOULD BE MORE BENEFICIAL TO PLAY WITH JUST 10 MEN ON DEFENSE RATHER THAN WASTE PLAYING TIME ON THAT HORRIBLE BUST BECAUSE HE IS AN OUTRIGHT LIABILITY ON EVERY SINGLE SNAP!!!!

19. snydro22 says:

Bird_Spit,

Lynden Christian has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any high school in the state.. Also the hottest blonde-haired blue-eyed girls as well.. I mean, at the time I was in high school, not today, that’s illegal, unfortunately lol..

You know what I was getting at..

20. longco44 says:

21. I don’t believe there should be any question on Hass as no one QB… against Denver he had a horrible day…. What I don’t understand is why he was kept in the entire game…. If this is a competition team, even Hass would admit he should have been pulled into the 4th qtr…. CW may not be better, but giving him game time should have been the decision…. the game was over….

22. no = number

23. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“AaronCurryIsBUST: Why don’t you get your @$$ in the lineup and we’ll see how well you fare in Curry’s place.”

Give me $30 million guaranteed and I will!!!

Hell I could provide the same uselessness on defense as Curry for $100, let alone $30 million.

24. Palerydr says:

@aroncurryisbust hey I think everybody gets you want to dump Curry so how about contributing something else instead of endless tirades against the guy? It’s old and it got there fast

25. On en convoiterait du rabe avec autant d’initiative.

26. Ma sympatie � propos de cette denr�e. Tout � chacun en somme surtout plus dirig� de cette facture.