Quickie bullet points from Carroll presser

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Sep. 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm with 37 Comments »
September 8, 2010 12:47 pm

Pete Carroll just finished his first game-week Wednesday press conference.

Of the 182 roster moves since arriving in Seattle, Carroll said they’ve done everything they could to “make this team better at every turn.” He added an indisputable point: “This is a roster that needed help.”

Moves for the future? “We’re trying to get as good as we can get right now.”
Playing the Niners: “I think it’s going to be really interesting to see where we stand in the division.”

Of the left tackle position: Starter is yet to be decided between Chester Pitts and Tyler Polumbus (He called him “Troy” … hey, can’t blame him). Pitts got most of the work Monday but was limping around a little. They’re already familiar working on a weakness at left tackle because they had to shape a game plan in the preseason against Minnesota with Mansfield Wrotto starting over there when Russell Okung went down …

He said Mike Gibson won the left guard spot .. he is aggressive with good balance and the ability to get downfield to the second level.

He said he thought receiver Deon Butler was “our most improved player.”

Linebacker David Hawthorne, who has missed considerable time with a hip injury, “will be ready to go.”

Tight end Anthony McCoy, however, is not expected to be healthy enough for the game.

On the move that sent T.J. Houshmandzadeh down the road (with $7 million guaranteed), Carroll said there was great support from the top on down, meaning they got clearance from above on the move.

He said newly-acquired Michael Robinson is such a versatile player that he expects him to have an impact this week … particularly on special teams.

Thanks Dave. Dave is it? Yeah okay Dave, got it right this time.

Carroll mentioning getting as good as they can “right now” should be read by everyone who thinks these moves have been random and chaotic. Or meant to bring in players that are part of their future. You do everything you can to build through the draft and supplement that as best as possible until the next one. The FAs brought in are always being evaluated and when someone who they believe is better becomes available, they jump on it. I have grown to trust Carroll and Schneider’s methods and am anxious to see this roster in 3 years. Meanwhile, there will be some growing pains.

2. dirtbiker_joey says:

Can you imagine Singletary trying to game plan right now? Not only do they not know what the Hawks are going to run, they don’t even know who the hell is going to be on the field!

3. SeahawkFan12 says:

Yeah, except Carroll can’t game plan because HE doesn’t know whose going to be on the field either.

4. longco44 says:

Dirtbiker_joey; that last sentance you wrote was just too funny!! I like it!

5. :Meanwhile, there will be some growing pains”

Yep, I think we all need to get used to it, esp for this season. And with the state of the running game, and the state of LT especially – it does not feel to good for #8 . . .

6. Does anyone know what time that bar by Safeco opens on game days? It’s weird thinking that the games are going to start at 10:00 a.m. (I’m used to Noon).

I want to be able to watch a little bit of the early games before we do whatever (I’m up for anything… tailgating… looking for tix to the game…).

7. Audible says:

We’re so much better of this year…and we have some talent on this team:

QB, RB, TE, LT, C, RG, Servicable RT & LG

Strong kicking / punting

LB = Strong

Thomas and healthy Trufant improve the secondary

DL – Questionable but not totally without talent.

8. Norseman says:

duke – that “trust” must have grown pretty quickly, considering your lack of faith in the josh wilson move.

9. Audible says:

That’s why it’s silly to pick us to finish 32nd in the NFL. We may need a year to gell and to fill a few more holes…but I think we’re going to be competitive, if not good this year.

10. BobbyAyala says:

Won’t be good. Might be middling. Probably bad. Not 32nd.

11. BobbyAyala says:

Any national media that picks the Seahawks 32nd has an axe to grind with Pete Carroll, plain and simple. Four of the nine wins were over the Rams. It’s either ignorance or bias that would cause someone to proclaim the Rams better than the Seahawks.

Norseman – I still don’t like the Wilson move and feel as though he could have played an important role on this team, moving forward. That said, I talked about growing trust with them at the time of the draft. I may not agree with every single move but I believe they have a plan and generally agree with the way they are going about it. I trust they know what they are doing even if I hated to see one of my favorite players leave. That move was indeed a “growing pain”, if only for me.

13. Ewalters7354 says:

I don’t think this team will finish 32nd.How in the world do people have the Rams,raiders,browns,and chiefs ahead of us?Its ok though.I love being overlooked and I truly believe we are gonna turn heads this year.Not sure about you guys,but I really believe we are gonna win Sunday.Besides,we beat this team at home last year with the same weapons they have on the roster.I might sound crazy fot this,but I don’t even think its gonna be close.35-14.Go Hawks!!!

BobbyK – Which bar? lol. Pyramid Brewery? There are a bunch of little dives down there as well. IMO however, there’s only one bar you boys should be pregaming at, especially coming in from out of town; FX McRory’s. Located at the north end of the Qwest parking lot, opens at 8:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

15. tylakewalker says:

I am looking forward to watching the hawks play this year.

Yes, Seattle will lose some games this year because of rookie mistakes. Yes, there will be blown coverages/assignments and miscommunications that occur because this team that has not played together for long.

But I have hope Seattle will be very good as soon as next year. I’m very impressed with what Schneider and Carroll are doing. In the meantime I look forward to seeing what the new guys can do. I also look forward to better, less predictable offensive play calling. I think it will be a fun year. Go Hawks!

16. SandpointHawk says:

BobbyK…think hip flask, always good in Seattle weather….

17. CYRREEN says:

Mark my words…..

We will beat the whinners

24-17 Seahawks

18. longco44 says:

Have to agree with Duke; FX McRory’s is definitly the place your gonna want to hit up before the game!

19. pabuwal says:

What the difference between 28th and 32nd? As a fan for 28 years, this is a very unusual position.

20. We always tailgate before games next to the stadium between occidental and first. the lot where the stairs come down between Qwest and the event center.
    Yakima Seahawk Fans on facebook has the location.
    Have a small to medium group of regulars West siders and East siders.
    We get there Bright and early before the bars open
    All are welcome,
    would enjoy meeting some of the famousTNT bloggers

21. I’m open to whatever… and if we start/meet at 8:30, that’s fine by me. It’s really 10:30 Minnesota time so it’s not like it’ll seem early. :)

22. “LB = Strong

Thomas and healthy Trufant improve the secondary

DL – Questionable but not totally without talent.”

Right, feels like if we can just get some level of pass pressure from the D-line or Curry, that this defense can be pretty good this year.

I think the offense may be pretty ugly – as in not able to sustain drives – though I do think we’ve got more playmakers at the skill positions that we’ve had in several years.

Cool to hear PC talking up Butler, maybe he breaks out this year.

23. variable575 says:

I’m hoping those “growing pains” present themselves after we beat the niners…………..spent too much money on those tickets!!!!

24. It’s fun to think we may be able to go vertical a bit this year (and next) with guys like Butler and Tate. Mike Williams may not be the prototypical vertical threat, but I have a heck of a lot more confidence in him going deep than Housh. Branch will be injured midway through the opener so he doesn’t really count.

25. variable – you may as well join the party on Sunday morning, too.

26. variable575 says:

Where ’bouts are you all meeting up? And what jersey are you going with?

I’m going to snag a Jon Ryan jersey if I can. Great hair, best on the team. All he needs now is a good stache and the old school uni.

27. I’m not sure yet. Duke/snydro (maybe ruminator)… do we have a meeting spot yet?

I’m still struggling with my dang jersey (sound like a woman).

28. ruminator1 says:

i think in the short run they will suffer a bit because of the wilson move. but wilson also presented coverage problems. they were not going to keep him next year and they might wind up getting a 4th for him. not bad. so a minus but not a zero. and as thurman, ness and others get more experience, i think this move will turn positive, especially next year.

i worry more about milloy than i do the younger guys.

gonna check out craig’s list for a ticket.

We’ll be up around 9 / 10 a.m. I’m guessing. Why don’t we all just plan to meet at FX? Whoever gets there first, save whatever space you can. If it’s not raining maybe grab a spot outside on the patio (it’s on the street and they should have TVs for the morning games.)

30. ruminator1 says:

snydro–contact me at we can talk about tickets

31. ruminator1 says:

i wonder why they didn’t try to trade Lock to cleveland?

32. There better not be booing this year.

This is the most obvious rebuilding year ever. It is going to be rough. But anyone who boos is only showing how stupid they are for not realizing this is a major rebuild on progress.

The season will be messy, but the team is already headed in a better direction.

I do hope we somehow beat the niners. I woud love to see the team implode on Singletary after they get off to a bad start. To show all that tough guy BS is just BS and not real coaching.

33. seahawk44 says:

Seahawks 27 Niners 19 player of the game Deion Branch

34. OutSydeDog says:

I, for one, can’t wait for those two niner rookie linemen to…feel…the 12th man.

GO HAWKS!!!

35. It will take some time for the Hawks to experience the type of sucess they did
    under Holmgren but the NFL moves in cycles and we will rise back to the top.
    Relax and learn to enjoy the journey.

36. Yeah I’m ready for some Seahawks Football!