Seahawks announce practice squad

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 6, 2010 at 12:22 pm with 61 Comments »
September 6, 2010 12:22 pm

Here’s the Seattle Seahawks practice squad for this season.

Cornerback Marcus Brown, running back Chris Henry, center Lemuel Jeanpierre, linebacker Joe Pawelek, quarterback Zac Robinson, defensive back Ross Weaver, receiver Patrick Williams and defensive end James Wyche.

Check out the full roster here.

Also, the Seahawks confirmed that defensive end Kevin Vickerson, fullback Owen Schmitt and safety Jordan Babineaux have been waived. T replace those three, Seattle signed fullback Michale Robinson, defensive tackle Junior Siavii and defensive end Raheem Brock. But still no word on Julius Jones, and he remains on Seattle’s 53-man roster.

Player movement
  1. It seems like the hawks FO must have every player on every team rated and ranked because they’re willing to swap out roster spots in a snap when other players become available. I’ve never scene anything lke this…was JS like this in Green Bay?

2. MattandCindy says:

Hey there, Eric! Any thoughts on what the bleep is happening? So many moves, so many unexpected releases and signings. AND…I really want to know what’s up with this JJ thing. Released or no? Why the delay, either way???

3. Drive a wooden stake through Jones heart so we can be rid of the bum.

How he stayed on the roster after 2 full seasons of unproductive play escapes rational thought.

4. It’s like they have a draft board with all the players in the NFL rated and ranked. If waived DT 2 is a 7.3 and the incumbant DT 1 is 6.9…6.9 is out and 7.2 is in.

5. nighthawk isn’t going to be happy (J. Jones still on the roster).

6. It’s still possible that Lock and Jones won’t be on the roster in a few days, hours, minutes, or seconds.

7. hawkdawg says:

In fact, it’s very possible.

8. ruminator1 says:

well they have until the end of the day. i think they are trying to include him in some trade. otherwise why this drama?

9. snydro22 says:

ESPN Fantasy football league full of Hawks fans still has one spot available -

League name: Homiez II

League Password: atownhomiez

10. Seahawkgo says:

How come JJ is still on the list ?!?

11. snydro22 says:

BTW, regarding fantasy football -

The draft is tonight at 7 pm.. DO NOT join if you can’t draft..

12. williambryan says:

is there a way to see the updated (to the current minute) 53 man roster?

13. I am a little surprised to not see Cord Parks on the PS – thought he played decent enough but oh well I guess.

They know what they want and they are going to go get it!!!!! I seem to remember that Miami had a HUGE turnover the year they went form 1-15 to 11-5. I wonder how the turnover compares to ours, numbers wise, from one season to the next

BobbyK – Most of us aren’t happy about that. But in light of Rankin being cut…

15. ruminator1 says:

snydro which fantasy draft is this? i have a yahoo team already. it this espn? how many players a team? any fee?

16. bayareahawkfan says:

Xcman – I posted something earlier about hoping we emulate the dolphins of ’08 – in terms of record turnaround, anyway. I think our roster turnover is unprecedented in terms of recent history, but I remember the fins having a lot of turnover, too. Biggest difference as I pointed out in my post is that team had a solid running game to build on. That was the year they ran the wildcat a lot, and that was largely to cover the other holes in their roster. We don’t have the RB talent, but we do have orders of magnitude more WR talent than that team, so I do expect a lot of exotic scheme stuff to prop us up this year. If nothing else, we should see some electrifying big plays, even though we’ll probably be inconsistent across the board. Can’t wait!

17. ruminator1 says:

duh sorry i read the thread

18. The coaching improved as did everyone, seemingly, “buying in.” The talent didn’t necessarily improve as drastically (they actually lost guys like Jason Taylor, who was a Pro Bowler) as one would think. That’s part of the reason I’m so befuddled with people thinking Mr. Happy and the Duke Boy are so great and yet they expect us to get hammered by San Fran. Hello? Jim Mora beat San Fran at home five games ago. Expect success.

19. ruminator1 says:

robinson twitter:

RT @RealMikeRob Glory2God! Today has been great. Now a Seahawk. Thanks to everyone supporting me. Now time 4 football and onto next chapter

20. 2010 Seattle Seahawks
    10-6
    NFC West Champions
    Defeat Philadephia at home on Wild Card Weekend by a score of 24-20…

21. I was looking into RB Michael Robinson a 2006 4th round selection of the 9ers. He played QB for Penn ST placing 5th in the Hiesman. So his highlights are at the QB position and as I’m viewing the ticker reads Tenn has cut Oregon RB LaGarrette Blount. Curious, I pull up his highlights at NFL Draft Scout. Find that he plays quicker than his 4.7 forty time. Down below the news reads Blount has been wowing the camp crowd with powerful running.

Seahawks could use this guy if they could harness his temper.

22. snydro22 says:

As much as I hate both Ducks and punks (I realize all Ducks are punks, but it’s like a rectangle/square type thing) I would actually like for us to take Blount and replace JJ.

At this point, why not?

23. ruminator1 says:

snydro–in another thread you say you will take bets either way. if we bet and lose, do we have to pay? i read somewhere that it was ok to stiff you

24. CDHawkFan says:

Can someone tell me why or how we are going to move the ball better this year? So many 3 and outs last year. Couple of runs, a pass and punt.

It killed our D to be out there so much. I just don’t see how we are any better on O this year, I think the O-line might be worse, well not better and if the rookie gets hurt, then what? That would make Chris Spencer our O-line star. I know they have different coach’s, but I just don’t see the improvement in the O, and no Nate, TJ and some of is 3rd down catches…..

Sorry to be Debbie Downer…

25. snydro22 says:

Well, there is a precedent..

Or a “president” right Dukie? ;)

Actually I’ve made two bets on here and won both – BobbyAyala stiffed me but Dukeshire went above and beyond, sending me a fresh dozen Titleist ProV1′s – personalized.. Haven’t lost an egg yet.. Only putting one sleeve into play for putting on GIR’s..

26. snydro22 says:

Our O-line will be better this year.. How do I know this for a fact?

It simply can’t get worse..

I thought I did it again. Lol

28. ruminator1 says:

i wonder what they know about rookie lemuel jeanpierre? wasn’t drafted. i know about his college career, but have read nothing about him in training camp

29. snydro22 says:

Bryan McIntyre reports Blount has signed with someone, working to find out who..

30. Raheem Brock signing is a surprise. 16 starts, 3 sacks, and a superbowl ring with the Colts in 2006. 3. 5 sacks last year. He’s 32, but its nice to see we now have a DE on this team with some kind of experience.

31. snydro22 says:

Looks like Julius is staying with the team. Rumor is that he was released and then re-signed at a discount.

What a c*ck tease..

32. ruminator1 says:

still confident that JJ will not be our primo running back or even on the team. they must be working on a trade. not hearing much on lynch these days. ran once for 3 yds in last exhib game.

33. snydro22 says:

I see the last spot in that fantasy league was filled..

Anyone from here?

34. snydro22 says:

Lynch not running in the 4th exhibition game might actually be a sign that they want to keep him around.. Too bad, he would have been a nice fit..

35. bayareahawkfan says:

Excile, re:Robinson, he was a leader out here in SF, very football smart and versatile – college QB who plays FB and HB would have to be, right? He was a casualty of the Niners’ greatly improved roster, specifically Kyle Williams, who has played his way onto the team with stellar KR performance.

Ulbrich knows him well, and at the very least he can help us on ST.

36. chuck_easton says:

Well,

It looks like the dust has finally settled. Welcome to your 2010 Seahawks.

And the O-line isn’t in as much flux as I suspected (barring a Locklear release or trade).

Right now the starting O-line is still

Okung, Hamilton, Spencer, Unger Locklear.

It’s the backups that all have to come into camp and introduce themselves:

Pitts, Andrews, Polumbus, Dietrich-Smith, and the only reserve oldover Gibson.

So, if Okung can’t go on Sunday who steps in? Andrews or Pitts?

If/when Locklear goes does Andrews move into RT?

Still not much turnover in the starters from what we saw all spring.

It just looked crazy with all the names coming and going.

37. bobbyj0708 says:

Despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here on the board I love all the roster moves these past few days. I’ve totally bought into the “compete all the time” mantra and PC and JS are following through with that. Releasing guys who don’t fit the program shows the players that no job is safe and you must produce to stick around, no matter how much of your salary is guaranteed. These guys have won 9 games in the past 2 years, putting them on notice seems like the right thing to do.

And the fact that JJ and Branch are still here tells me that PC and JS have no preconceived notions as to who are players and who aren’t; obviously they’ve liked what they’ve seen from them this offseason.

And as for the recent moves I think a little perspective is warranted here. For the most part we’re talking backups and even backups to backups; once the season starts I doubt we’ll care all that much.

38. snydro22 says:

Re: Jones – no worthwhile running backs were cut. None. Hence, Julius Jones makes sense to retain until a better offer comes along. — seahawksaddicts via Twitter

Logic tells me this is true. My heart says it can’t be. Either I am fried after the last few days..

39. snydro22 says:

Chuck,

I feel much better about those #2′s.. Agreed?

40. chuck_easton says:

If Jones really did re-structure to avoid being released he knows he won’t be the starter. He’s OK being the 2 or 3 and in that role he’s serviceable.

I have to agree. Nothing better came along.

And as long as I don’t have to watch him be the featured back come Sunday I’m perfectly fine with it (for now).

41. chuck – now that he’s made the final roster, how long before Branch injures a toe nail (one that has already been clipped, mind you) and has to miss a few weeks?

42. ruminator1 says:

interesting piece on robinson:

the hawks tried to get 2 different running backs, but lost out to other teams on both (Lumkin was one)

43. chuck_easton says:

I’m sending out the good Branch karma right now.

That and I mailed a package of my wife’s nailstrengthening polish in care of Branch directly to VMAC.

I’ll even donate a knee or two if it keeps him upright for 12-16 games.

Ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya so we have to just hope.

I still find myself wincing every time I see him going out to run a pass route. I’m always afraid he’ll trip over a blade of grass and blow out his pinky or something.

44. sugashack says:

BobbyK wrote:

2010 Seattle Seahawks
    10-6
    NFC West Champions
    Defeat Philadephia at home on Wild Card Weekend by a score of 24-20…

Seriously? This is a six win team. Arguably the worst WR/RB corps in the NFL and an offensive line that has seen more churn than anything I’ve ever seen and the season hasn’t even started. Prediction: one of the 5-6 worse offenses in the NFL. Defensively I feel a bit better but not much but hopefully some new scheme ideas will inject some big plays from our defense.

I’m looking at 6-10 this year but I’m actually OK with it as this is a multi-year rebuilding effort and they are trying to maximize value on their roster.

45. Chuck – I think the whole reason Stacy Andrews came here is to start at RT. Assuming that Locklear will either be gone or outcompeted at some point. The Seahawks website lists Andrews at G but I think that’s wrong, Andrews was pissed about being put at G in Philly and I think they brought him here to play RT. I think he starts there as soon as he knows our blocking schemes.

As for Pitts, I would think it will be awhile before he is in football shape with his knee and all. Once he’s healthy, I would expect to see Pitts at LG.

So I would guess the eventual starting line (by mid-season?) should be:
    Okung-Pitts-Spencer-Unger-Andrews

46. sugashack, I would think 6-10 is about right.

But if we can beat the 49ers on opening day, that changes things…

I say if we beat the 49ers, we can go 7-9 and be in the running to win the NFC west.

47. snydro22 says:

ruminator,

Where did you see that about the other two RB’s?

Stevo – I tend to agree with that. And as I said earlier, Andrews is the RT until next April when they address it long term, IMO.

If I may, throw any win expectations out the window. This is a severe work in progress and it’s only season 1.

49. chuck_easton says:

snydro,

It was mentioned by Sando. Detroit claimed one off of waivers and the other was claimed off waivers by either TB or KC.

50. SteelBlueLime says:

snydro22 – I tried right after you posted the league password, but the spot was already taken. I am interested but want to get hooked into a league where people continue to play after the first two weeks!

51. If we could get Blount it would be a great improvemnet for our running game. This guy runs like a wild man and is a big punishing runner. Exactly what we don’t have now.

52. heyyou_66 says:

Seattle tried to claim Blount but were beaten out by Tampa Bay

53. ruminator1 says:

one was claimed by tampa i believe and the other by detroit. Lumpkin was definitely one

54. ruminator1 says:

we were second in line for lumpkin. pittsb and several other teams wanted him

55. ruminator1 says:

i think the other running back they tried to claim was andre brown, claimed by denver. too bad he would have been a good fit.

56. snydro22 says:

We should have had waiver priority over Denver though, right?

57. ruminator1 says:

no i don’t thnk so both tampa and denver had priority