Morning links: Going, going … gone

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 5, 2010 at 8:04 am with 43 Comments »
September 5, 2010 8:13 am

Our own Dave Boling of The News Tribune chronicles the rapid-fire moves the Seattle Seahawks continue to make as head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider look to remake the franchise.

Boling:

The devaluation of the prior regime’s talent continues – as if anybody needed further proof the team had subpar talent.

Shipped out are a first-round pick (Lawrence Jackson), a second-round pick (Josh Wilson) and now the highest-priced free agent (Houshmandzadeh).

Fans may fairly question whether this is churn just to make waves or is actually paddling in a planned direction.

It seems as if perhaps they’re operating on a theme rather than a specific plan: They want their guys. Guys who not only fit their vision of the Seahawks of the future, but who also share that vision. The catch phrase is that they want guys who “buy in.”

Here’s my story from a busy Saturday. Only 30 players remain from last year’s roster.

Brian McIntyre, who did an awesome job keeping up with the roster moves around the league on Saturday, will be doing the same thing with the practice squads around the league today at Mac’s Football Blog.

ESPN’s Mike Sando details the Seattle players eligible for the practice squad. Jamar Adams and Amon Gordon are surprises here.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports reports that according to persons close to the team the Seahawks will not pursue free agent quarterback Matt Leinart. I tend to agree with this assessment. They’ve invested a lot of money in Whitehurst, and so far Pete Carroll has been pleased with his play.

Also consider this: The Arizona Cardinals reportedly pursued Whitehurst hard in the offseason, and now we understand why. Whitehurst could have been the starter in Arizona instead of Derek Anderson had things worked out for the Cardinals.

More Judge: He chronicles the winners and losers on final cut day. Seattle’s Mike Williams, Derek Anderson, Sage Rosenfels and Patrick Crayton are winners. Matt Lienart,, Vincent Jackson, the Denver Broncos, Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks are some of the losers.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated says Houshmandzadeh made a poor decision in heading to Seattle in free agency last year.

Greg Johns of Seattlepi.com offers his thoughts on the Seahawks 53-man roster here.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reports on offensive line coach Alex Gibbs’ decision to step down.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that there are strong indications that Houshmandzadeh wants to play for Minnesota, but that his representative will weigh offers from other teams before making their decision.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the Chargers still control receiver Vincent Jackson, and that he will have to sit out at least the first six games of the season. I think the ship has sailed in terms of Jackson coming to Seattle this season.

Morning links
  1. VJax would be nice, but we need to focus on what we have. I think M. Williams is going to be a star! TJ’s attitude was downright diva-ish…don’t need it.

1 Week to go!

GO HAWKS!

Off the list of eligible PS players, I’d most like to see Cord Parks signed. Always around the ball, good special teams, I think there’s a fair amount of upside there.

I know Jake Locker the quarterback du jour here, but TJ Yates from North Carolina is someone else we should pay attention to. He looked great against LSU. Made every throw from 50 yard deep balls, 30 yard outs and 20 yard fades in the red zone. Someone to keep an eye on.

3. snydro22 says:

When told he had been released, Cord Parks refused to get off the bus.

Okay, that was a stretch..

4. Yes, Cord Parks is a keeper. He could become a terrific KR. I also like James Wyche, he looks like a 6’5 LoJack with some pass rush moves, a good backup to Bryant and Wilson. We probably also need to keep Jamar Adams around. Otherwise, I hope Schneider keeps shopping for depth.

5. I firmly believe in the “buy in” mentality being crucial. With the exception of the Josh Wilson trade, I like pretty much everything that Mr. Happy and the Duke Boy are doing.

I can understand the vision of wanting tall WRs/CBs and can also understand not wanting to draft them if they don’t fit your vision. But when you inherit a Wilson, who is a good football player, that’s all that should really matter. Are you a good football player or not?

Guys like Anoine Winfield and Bob Sanders are midget DBs who are good. Josh Wilson is a step below them, but he’s a midget CB who is good.

From what we know, Wilson seemed to be a “buy in” type of guy too.

It’s a good thing the Seahawks organization didn’t say they wouldn’t interview midget GMs or Schneider would still be in Green Bay.

Other than that, the FO is doing a damn fine job. They resisted the big FA splashes. A lot of those guys who cash in are in their prime or at the end of their prime and after the big money has been guaranteed you don’t have that carrot to entice them as much anymore (Grant, Housh, Kerney, etc.). I know signing a guy is sexy, but I’ll take the organization who drafts their own guys and gives them the big money before their contract expires (like what needs to happen with Mebane pretty soon). I know it’s a business, but doing things the right way like that can create more of a sense of loyalty too if the players feel they will be treated like important pieces of the puzzle (without overpaying for everyone) instead of meat.

Excited for 1 week from today!

6. snydro22 says:

I’ll co-sign for James Wyche.

7. Yeah, I thought Parks was a special teams crazy man. I hope we keep him around.

8. Pete has final say on the 53 man roster. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the VMAC.

9. SeahawkFan12 says:

After reading these assorted articles, a recurring theme surrounding Leinart is that “he’d be a good fit in Seattle if Whitehurst had not bee nsigned as Hasselbeck’s heir apparent…” (I am paraphrasing).

If Whitehurst is the heir apparent, we are screwed. Whitehusrt is and always will be a backup, a band aid if the starter goes down, but not the LEADER of a franchise or the guy who will bring the Vince Lombardi trophy to Seattle…no matter how much money he got paid.

Hasselbeck has been the leader, and was a few blown calls away from having “Super Bowl Champion” attached to his title.

I doubt Leinart could live up to the responsibility of being anybody’s franchise QB. If the answer is not “Hasselbeck”, then the answer is going to either be found in a major–and I mean MAJOR–free agent signing of a proven leader and winner, or the drafting a TRUE heir apparent next April.

10. I agree that Leinart could not “live up to the responsibility of being anybody’s franchise QB.” But he already proved he cannot handle the reality of being anybody’s backup QB. He would give us another TJ Housh problem in our locker room. I don’t think the Seahawks will be interested.

I don’t think Whitehurst seems to have the needed leader mentality either, but if Matt can stay upright for one more year, hopefully that will never matter much. At least Whitehurst isn’t a whining prima donna, and that puts him head-and-shoulders above Leinart.

CW may only be a career backup but they don’t know that yet. They intend to find out, but that’s why he was signed to only a 2 year deal. My feeling is that whoever ends up being the “heir apparent” will come through the draft not free agency.

If Carroll wasn’t the head coach, we wouldn’t even be talking about this. He knows Leinart as well as anyone and if he hasn’t brought him in, that tells us all we need to know.

13. snydro22 says:

We aren’t getting Leinart. We claimed Zac Robinson instead.

Also, this on Vincent Jackson:

14. Not only did Vincent Jackson price himself out of the trade market, when he failed to report or get traded as of 3:00 PM yesterday, he added 3 games to his suspension. He will be out for the first 6 games, and no team wants to pay for that.

15. why do “wide receiver” and “prima donna” so often fit in the same sentence?

I was hoping we might bring Robinson in after the Pats cut him. He’s worth a look see on the PS.

17. williambryan says:

i really liked robinson during the senior bowl.

18. bayareahawkfan says:

Mike Florio is a flatulent ass. Not in relationship to anything he wrote in that link Duke posted, I just felt it had to be said. He has a deep, abiding, irrational hate-fixation on Pete Carroll because of the USC sanctions, and has said numerous places that he’s actively rooting for Mr. Happy – and therefore our team – to fail spectacularly. I wish there was an analog for his profession: I’m hoping his next opinion piece is full of spelling and grammar errors :).

19. snydro22 says:

Looks like Robinson might be headed to the practice squad, leaving the door open to more Leinart speculation. Great.

20. snydro22 says:

bayarea,

lol..

21. BobbyAyala says:

It appears a few of you are still taking delusional pills.

Charlie Whitehurst is the future.

Get used to it.

22. snydro22 says:

Love them or hate them, all of these moves have kept us in the headlines and given Seahawks fans some great f*ckin reading!

23. snydro22 says:

BobbyAyala,

Where’s my 20 bucks? Remember how you made a bet and then whined about being an unemployed loser who couldn’t pay up?

Save your attitude and insults for a different blog. Preferably a blog where your reputation is intact and you haven’t been exposed as the punk that you are.

Lol. Tough love…

25. snydro22 says:

Hawks sign Junior Siavii after the Cowboys cut the DT backup to Theo Ratliff..

Also, could Sean Locklear be on his way out?

26. BobbyAyala says:

That’s funny, Snydro, your wife has nothing but good things to say…

Why? Is Vickerson more banged up than we thought? That signing does nothing for me.

Lock on the way out? Perhaps, but we’ll ned to see more from Polumbus and Andrews first, I would think.

28. BobbyAyala says:

Of course, she has nothing but good things to say about a lot of guys.

29. Sean Locklear should definitely be watching his back. But I think he knew this. Ray Willis might have taken his job, but he’s now on IR. Chester Pitts could eventually play RT, or anywhere on our line, but it seem a stretch that he’ll be 100% any time soon. Its hard to see Polumbus as a threat to start, and its hard to see why Andrews is even on the team. But, there is no doubt Carroll and Schneider are searching for someone to push Locklear.

30. snydro22 says:

Duke,

I would think this signals the end for Craig Terrill.

31. snydro22 says:

Why is it hard to see why Andrews is on the team? Yeah, the Guard experiment in Philly didn’t work out so well, but he was a very serviceable Tackle in Cincinnati before signing that big contract with Philly. He’s got a little nastiness in him too. That’s fine with me, as long as he takes it out on the right people..

I actually wrote that before I edited my post. That is a possibility and one that makes me very happy. Even for a journeyman with zero upside.

33. So what am I missing here on Whitehurst? He can make all the throws and moves well in the pocket. Is there something that a college QB does better? Until he completely proves that he’s nothing more than a back up, let’s give the guy an opportunity. I never thought Hasselbeck would develop into a Pro Bowl QB. That’s the thing about QB, you just don’t know. I’ll bet the Cardinals would rather have Whitehurst right now than Anderson. Anderson had the one fluke season and other than that, he hasn’t done much else. I’d like to see Whitehust given 2 full seasons and if he can’t cut it as a starter then move on with a new QB.

34. SteelBlueLime says:

Well one nice thing….we are not picking up the junk from the Rams and Lions. Getting the “left-overs” from Dallas, The Eagles, and The Pats should help the overall depth of the Hawks!

35. BobbyAyala says:

You’re not missing anything, BB, as soon as Hasselbeck incurs his annual season-threatening injury, the new era can begin without the political backlash from the You-Gotta-Love-These-Guys crowd.

36. I said I thought it hard to see Andrews as a good fit on our team because he doesn’t look like the mobile, agile ZBS tackle we would have wanted. He’s 342 pounds with a reputation as an underachiever in Philadelphia. But if he can turn his career around in Seattle, I’d be happy for him. At least we have a pile of experienced players to compete at RT. That will be interesting.

37. Whitehurst:
    + good long ball
    + good size
    – happy feet in the pocket
    – stares down receivers
    – fair to average accuracy on short and medium range passes

Hasselbeck:
    – questionable spine health
    – losing long-ball arm strength
    + never needed a great long ball to win
    + excellent accuracy and timing on short and medium range passes
    + great ball handling and play action
    + unrivaled leader of the team

no contest.

38. why would signing another backup NT spell the end for Craig Terrill? He’s not competition for Terrill. Kentwan Balmer, when he gets healthy, is the man who could spell the end for Craig Terril.

As Duke said, I would think the signing of NT Junior Siavii, says more about concerns for Cole and Vickerson both staying healthy. Vickerson’s had some injuries in the past.

“spine health” lol

40. ruminator1 says:

bobbyayala–you trot out an attack on a guy’s wife? you make a bet and weasel out of paying? you submit negative sheet consistently here. what’s happening that this crap comes up?

on andrews, he has an on the field attitude. he never wanted to be a guard, his body type ok for a tackle. certainly worth a look and not released, traded.

agree with those who want longer looks for wyche and parks

what do folks know about Junior Siavii?

41. wabubba67 says:

I grew up in the 1970’s and my heart LOVES the Seahawks. That said, I’m in Las Vegas on vacation and my head just put down a $1000 bet against the Seahawks (btw, you have to pay up down here BobbyAyala) to win more than 7 games.

There is no way this team goes 8-8, 7-9 is a push. This is almost like stealing candy from a baby!

We’ll be in line to pick Jake Locker, though after yesterday’s performance, I am not all that sold on his arm continuing to develop accuracy at the NFL level.

42. BobbyAyala says:

Just to clear the air, once again, your boy Snydro refused payment.

He loves to play the role of internet tough guy, so for all of you sheep out there, shut the hell up.